test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Loving the game but ....

eckexeckex Member Posts: 26 Arc User
Why does everything we need require us to spend zen?

Need bags? Zen
Need bank space? Zen
Need to upgrade your companion? Zen
Tarmalune bars? Zen

I get a free game needs to make money but EVERYTHING needs money
Be a VIP get a free purple key once a day, but pay no mind that you'll look 100 chests a day? I can't give them away on the AH, so not sure what i'm supposed to do lol

I really love playing this game, but the constant reminder that everything cost real life money is going to get old, you can only earn so many diamonds a day :/

Game is awesome, the combat is a lot of fun, but with all the rune sones, and enchantment stones, buff potions, everything else there is to loot in the game, I'm killing like 30 things, then back to sell/clear inventory because the 12 bank slots we have isn't close to enough, but 700zen and you can double it! up to 176 spaces (at $7 per 16 slots, or $5 for 8 shared slots, or $16 for big bag)

This is for 1 character, how is an alt-aholic like myself supposed to afford this game? :pensive:

Please tell me i'm missing something.

EDIT:
Don't get this wrong not really a complaint, i'm just hoping i'm missing something. I'm pitching this game hard core to my friends, because it's an absolute blast to play, I'm just hoping, no praying, that i've over looked someway to earn diamonds to convert to zen or whatever, so i can get a few of the things i'd like without shelling out piles of money. :)

EDIT #2:
As someone who has paid subscriptions to play several MMO's over the years; do those of you who support the game just have a 'monthly allowance'? Like i paid $15 a month for way too many years to play WoW, do you guys do something like that? I can do that :P Makes it less painful i guess lol :)

Comments

• arcticwolfy#1393 arcticwolfy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Well I can answer your bag space. There is a way around it. Check the AH I've seen 36 space bags up for sale ok they are not cheap. But it's one way. Someone has spent zen then sold the bags. But you do know you get 2 extra bags by completing certain quest areas
  • arcticwolfy#1393 arcticwolfy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Sorry forgot to add companion I think can also be done with AD but alot green to blue is 250k AD but that's not hard to get
  • eckexeckex Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    THanks for the replies :) 250k AD sounds like so many as i'm only at around 20k now. I guess i need to figure out how to make the AD, i was hoping to use AD to keep 'leveling' VIP through Zen exchange.

I guess it just seems overwhelming at first and I need to just get to lvl 70 and see if i still feel the same way
  • onewingedmenace#5432 onewingedmenace Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    2 extra bags? I only got one. :worried:
    you get one in the tower district then another around lvl 35, don't remember the zone it's in though :(
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    eckex said:

you get one in the tower district then another around lvl 35, don't remember the zone it's in though :(

Neverdeath Graveyard

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    later there is a chance at a bag drop thru tiamat. a lot of things drop from high level dungeons encounters and what not. you don't make any ad as a low level. hit 70 start farming and all of a sudden you're getting all this salvage. you can salvage it or you can wait for a 2x salvage. I remember always being poor on xbox then I started saving for double ad. millionaire over night.
    Post edited by thefiresidecat on
    Thanks for that fireside! I was hoping it was just me being low level lol
  • onewingedmenace#5432 onewingedmenace Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    I bought a 17 dollar companion through the auction house using diamonds that I earned ingame by selling stuff and running dungeons, invoking etc. I'm living proof you can get nearly anything in the game for free if you try hard enough.
    I guess the purple chests things don't really sell very well on the AH and being new to the game (and still only lvl 50) i have no idea what it is sought after and what isn't :)
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    You can get Zen for free! That's what the Astral Diamond Exchange is for. Earn Astral Diamonds and exchange them from Zen.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • dhaphaos77dhaphaos77 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I remember feeling like this on the PC version a few years back (before the expansion with black ice). Anything is available "free" if you're willing to put in the extreme grind time for some of it. I still enjoy the game but I can't commit myself to the amount of time involved to have the best of the best.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Do 2 skirmishes and 2 dungeons a day for AD. 2 PVP matches get you AD too. After that the AD returns aren't good but doing that every day gets you about 30k AD per day (might be less at lower levels I really don't remember). After that its just doing your quests and make sure you do the weekly quests once they unlock. Those are about 4-5k AD a piece.
  • demigodgamer#7121 demigodgamer Member Posts: 194 Arc User

eckex said:

Neverdeath Graveyard

So is that a total of 3 free bags? Or just 2? Thanks:)

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Do 2 skirmishes and 2 dungeons a day for AD. 2 PVP matches get you AD too. After that the AD returns aren't good but doing that every day gets you about 30k AD per day (might be less at lower levels I really don't remember). After that its just doing your quests and make sure you do the weekly quests once they unlock. Those are about 4-5k AD a piece.

the ad awarded isn't the only ad you're getting from the dungeon though. you can get two or three purple or blue items per dungeon and those salvage from 3k to 6k (or x2 if you want for x2 ad events) farming past those "cash" awards are well worth it. and some of the skirmishes dungeons also have rare drops of artifacts and what not and those are big windfalls.

eckex said:

Neverdeath Graveyard

So is that a total of 3 free bags? Or just 2? Thanks:)
    just 2 unless there are random drops like firesidecat said you can get from tiamat

I'm now pushing 60 and haven't seen another bag quest yet.

• romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

You can get Zen for free! That's what the Astral Diamond Exchange is for. Earn Astral Diamonds and exchange them from Zen.

It's never free because someone has to buy it for real money. If the game would be completely free, it would work without anyone spending a dime.
  • stpensivestpensive Member Posts: 286 Arc User

kreatyve said:

It's never free because someone has to buy it for real money. If the game would be completely free, it would work without anyone spending a dime.
    And it can, it just never will be that way; not because of the way the game is designed, rather, there will always be someone 'willing' to buy things.

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    eckex said:

Need bags? Zen
    Need bank space? Zen
    Tarmalune bars? Zen

Be a VIP get a free purple key once a day, but pay no mind that you'll look 100 chests a day? I can't give them away on the AH, so not sure what i'm supposed to do lol

I really love playing this game, but the constant reminder that everything cost real life money is going to get old, you can only earn so many diamonds a day :/

Game is awesome, the combat is a lot of fun, but with all the rune sones, and enchantment stones, buff potions, everything else there is to loot in the game, I'm killing like 30 things, then back to sell/clear inventory because the 12 bank slots we have isn't close to enough, but 700zen and you can double it! up to 176 spaces (at $7 per 16 slots, or $5 for 8 shared slots, or $16 for big bag)

This is for 1 character, how is an alt-aholic like myself supposed to afford this game? :pensive:

EDIT:
    Don't get this wrong not really a complaint, i'm just hoping i'm missing something. I'm pitching this game hard core to my friends, because it's an absolute blast to play, I'm just hoping, no praying, that i've over looked someway to earn diamonds to convert to zen or whatever, so i can get a few of the things i'd like without shelling out piles of money. :)

EDIT #2:
    As someone who has paid subscriptions to play several MMO's over the years; do those of you who support the game just have a 'monthly allowance'? Like i paid $15 a month for way too many years to play WoW, do you guys do something like that? I can do that :P Makes it less painful i guess lol :)

If you have issue with Bags and need more and play more than 6 characters I recommend the Dragonborn Pack. All characters get a 30 bag. As for companions and mounts, I recommend the Champion of the North pack. It provides you with a purple mount and companion for all characters. These two packs together cost around $135.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Players complain about the Dragonborn pack pricing, but what you get is a 30 inventory slot bag to use and each character you make on your account gets their own bag. If you have 6 characters that bag almost just paid for itself. The other thing you get with that pack, though pricey, is ring that increases in item level as you level up. There is also a decent artifact. Now you get those three items on all characters from the time you visit the Award Vendor at level 4 until end game. Not bad if you ask me. The only issue I see with that package is the up front cost. Now if you are planning to play multiple characters over the long haul this package is worth its cost.

If you plan on playing just one character than go the route of running content, earning AD, trading AD for Zen and buy the bag. Right now on PS you get about 100 zen for about 15,000-20,000 AD. I believe the 24 slot bag is 1,000 zen and the 36 slot bag is 1,600 zen.

Another option as other mentioned is grind for AD and use the AD through the trade house and buy a bag that way.

eckex said:

Need bags? Zen
    Need bank space? Zen
    Tarmalune bars? Zen

EDIT:

EDIT #2:

If you have issue with Bags and need more and play more than 6 characters I recommend the Dragonborn Pack. All characters get a 30 bag. As for companions and mounts, I recommend the Champion of the North pack. It provides you with a purple mount and companion for all characters. These two packs together cost around $135.
    $135 is a lot of dough for a game, with new preorders on the horizon (no man's sky, skyrim, horizon zero dawn, ffxv) :pensive:
    I think i'm 'old school' i'd rather have the entire game accessable and pay a monthly fee :P i'm not opposed to the f2p model, i've just never seen a game with such 'need' for the real money currency (not saying you have to buy it, but they definitely make it obvious you'll need to at least trade AD for it at some point) :):pensive:
    Still loving the game, working on my 2nd character to 60 to do the vault of the nine quest :P
  • fivesix#2273 fivesix Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I don't understand the people saying "I'd rather pay $15 a month" instead of F2P. IF you put $15 a month into Zen you'd be doing pretty darn good as far as the pay elements go... It completely negates the argument. Just put your $15 a month into the game and there you go, no issues.
  • shontsushontsu Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Err, all he said was that if you want to pay $15 a month, go ahead and pay $15 a month. It had nothing to do with whether you should or not...
  • lordmaniklordmanik Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    Why does this game have so many different currencies? That's my only complaint to this game. There should only be 3 or less. Money coins, astral diamonds and Zen. Those other currencies shouldn't exist. I haven't even spent any of my coins on anything, jus spent a few AD On scrolls. And all the things I want are sold in a different currency. I don't even have this next currency. I don't buy weapons and armour either, I use what I find.
    I like this game, but it's too hard to buy something I want.
    I want to buy companion, fashion and mounts. Good ones. And you can't spend coins on these.
  • demigodgamer#7121 demigodgamer Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    lordmanik said:

Why does this game have so many different currencies? That's my only complaint to this game. There should only be 3 or less. Money coins, astral diamonds and Zen. Those other currencies shouldn't exist. I haven't even spent any of my coins on anything, jus spent a few AD On scrolls. And all the things I want are sold in a different currency. I don't even have this next currency. I don't buy weapons and armour either, I use what I find.
    I like this game, but it's too hard to buy something I want.
    I want to buy companion, fashion and mounts. Good ones. And you can't spend coins on these.

I hear you man:)

i didn't mean to start something with my idea of a subscription; i'd just prefer the ease if i paid a subscription and then didn't have to figure out what i should and shouldn't spend zen on (call me lazy i'm ok with that lol)