test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About target lock

kievitzkievitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 260 Arc User
edited June 2016 in PvP Discussion
Ok, this post is prolly gonna make some people go bananas but ill risk it :)

Target lock, a feature that lets you target a character, mob etc. and keep your powers targeted on that single entity.

Preset on left ctrl when pressing it down.

Now, i've seen and heard in NWO and various SM discussions, that this is an exploit and some even say that those who use it in PVP should be banned or target lock should be removed altogether?

Hmm, a feature in the game that makes targeting easier in crowded fights so you wont lose your target and can more efficiently put your powers where you want 'em.

Personally i dont use it, have tried it in PVE but doesnt work for me, the movement control, for me, goes out the window.

Opinions, anyone?

About aim-help, just putting this up for a slight relief :).

The aim-help feature that is automaticly on, moves your "crosshair" automaticly on target when pointed slightly off and pressing an attack, gets me wound up some times :).

Especially when you try to hit a mob that is close and theres a mob behind it but further away and you ranged power doesnt activate cos the aim-help targeted the farther mob, which happens to be out of range.

Mod edit: Mod replaced profanity with "bananas"
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• Options
    kievitzkievitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 260 Arc User
    metalldjt said:

there is no point using target lock, you clearly don't pvp to realise that it's useless.

I used to PVP but not anymore, never used it in PVP, but when i tried it in PVE it made my toon control worse.

So maybe people are going a bit overboard with target lock.
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    I never used it but its fun when other players accuse me for using it.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    now hard target lock vs soft target lock.... that a different story lol careful what you ask about lol cause if you dont phrase correctly people will pretend and deny it cause you did not use the right wording ...

hard target locking is not so useless in pvp in some situations against certain classes as some would have you believe lol

GFs exploit hard target lock ALL THE TIME !! so you cant get behind their block and they are always facing you
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Minimi is a top Gf if he knows what he is doing then ....not
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • Options
    taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    You can remap targetlock to another key right? Let's say like space bar or mouse side button, so you can use targetlock and still do... well what you normally do in pvp
  • Options

You can remap targetlock to another key right? Let's say like space bar or mouse side button, so you can use targetlock and still do... well what you normally do in pvp

you really dont want to be re mapping your jump key : :smile:
    what is your question exactly
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    metalldjt said:

kalina311 said:

now hard target lock vs soft target lock.... that a different story lol careful what you ask about lol cause if you dont phrase correctly people will pretend and deny it cause you did not use the right wording ...

hard target locking is not so useless in pvp in some situations against certain classes as some would have you believe lol

GFs exploit hard target lock ALL THE TIME !! so you cant get behind their block and they are always facing you

yea, that could be true...i always have some problems gettin behind their shield, but it could be my bad frames aswell.
    "metalldjt said:
    there is no point using target lock, you clearly don't pvp to realise that it's useless."

so you take that back now lol ? : D...Just bugging you Lancer : D
  • Options
    Gf is not the only class that has many uses for hard target lock either ..
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    If you had to hold ctrl, or anything down to use it it might not be worth it, but since you can macro it into a toggle it's either a powerful tool, or easily exploitable, depending on your perspective. People have done this since beta though, it's just a design feature of a casual game.
  • Options
    kalina311 said:

No question. It's quite impossible to use targetlock if it's mapped to ctrl key, cause you have to use shift key a lot. So to be able to use targetlock fluently, just remap it to another key.
  • Options
    holding down control is soft target lock lol :d
  • Options
    AHHHH lol
  • Options
    ya the command is called google lol
  • Options
    edited June 2016

kalina311 said:

No question. It's quite impossible to use targetlock if it's mapped to ctrl key, cause you have to use shift key a lot. So to be able to use targetlock fluently, just remap it to another key.
    ummm wrong ... impossible nope lol :D:smile:
    you dont get it its a toggle keybind you dont have to hold it down lol
  • Options
    blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    Soft Targetlock is your CTRL button by default.

Hard Targetlock can be accessed as command line
    /hardtargetlock

you can make it a toggle like this
    /++hardtargetlock

and to bind it to a key
    /bind ++hardtargetlock <yourkey>

No secret, nothing special.
    Both targetlocks do the same, hard targetlock just doesn't flip to another target and it doesn't release by lifting the button like soft targetlock does.
    A number of GFs use it since as long as your character CAN turn it WILL turn. Trust me I once proned a GF, that had hardtargetlock on me, as his character stood up his body turned, feet still forward and upper body backwards to block my next encounter. So yeah it is pretty edgy, it allows for machine speed in a human environment.
    However, if you lock on 1 target a possible second player will just walk behind you, so outside of 1v1 situations it is rather less useful. You also cannot turn in most animations so it doesn't make you block everything on a GF.
    I know a few people use it in PvE to auto-aim bosses.
    To say the least, Neverwinter is already very, very forgiving with aiming and there are almost no skillshots in the game.
    Does targetlock give you an advantage? Sometimes.
    Can you use it non-stop? Probably not.

I personally play on 110 FOV so using this changes my camera angle really weirdly, I rarely use soft OR hardtargetlock.
    I found it usefull in big Icewind Dale fights when over 30 people flood your screen and the engine cannot deal with all the animations and stuffs, targetlocking somebody can be useful.​​
  • Options
    scylent#6295 scylent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 43 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

Minimi is a top Gf if he knows what he is doing then ....not

I think many of us confuse youtube content with reality. Posting highlights of myself up there of only when I am winning doesnt mean anything (specially since i mostly loose), but anyways, he is entertainment and he is doing very well for himself and also for the community.

I catalog hardlocks on GF as exploit because it is darn hard to get behind them to land that hit, and if you never get that chance then what is the point of even fighting against them? and that is just in 1v1 scenario. You want to target lock me when we are aoutside of that, my all means and good luck :smile:

ScyLent PvE GF Main
    S C Y L E N T PvE DC Alt
    ScyLent Lux PvE OP Alt
    Unrepentantgaming.com
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Hard target lock... lol just use stealth rings plus bait and switch...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    -1 for advocating Stealth ring use on a class that already has stealth
    unless the subject is how not to get targeted lol

Hard target lock... lol just use stealth rings plus bait and switch...

• Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Yes how to not get target locked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!