test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

blacklake terror skirmish is missing

hevak7hevak7 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited March 2016 in Bug Reports (PC)
Short version:

BLACKLAKE TERROR SKIRMISH DOES NOT SHOW UP IN THE QUEUE LIST ANYMORE. IT IS GONE, MISSING, COMPLETLEY UNABLE TO BE TRIED TO JOIN EVEN IF ONE WANTED TO.

Hopefully this gets some attention now.

Long version:

It may seem like a small issue that clearly doesn't need to be acknowledged since it has been reported in both Maze engine and Queue bug threads and it hasn't even been added to the continually updated list in the OP of one of those threads or acknowledged in any way, and still hasn't been fixed. I mean it should be an easy fix to make this queue show up in the list like all the others have right. And while yes it may not big the biggest problem right now, it is still an important issue.

Here's why. As a brand new player I create a character and within my first hour or so of playing, after running around the city doing what amounts to an extended tutuorial, I end up in my first main adventure zone of Neverwinter. So I proceed to talk to the npc's right there as you zone in, getting a few quests and stuff, one of them offers me this quest to join your queue system and one of your skirmishes. This is an integral part of your game and this is an introduction quest to this part of the game. So I get this quest, and the npc even offers to have me join the queue, but nothing happens. Well just hit the K key to bring up the queue menu and look under skirmishes, oh wait its not there.

So now I have a quest that must be completed between levels 5-13 only, for content that can only be played while level 5-13. So maybe some players like to play things like this and try all content there is no matter the level, or how early. I know some wont understand this or think this is one of those who cares about this type of situations, but its not really.

My first introduction, in my first hour or so of playing this game, leads to the first impression that this game gives out quests for content that doesn't exist and can not be completed ever. Yes I know the quest can be dropped, but that is missing the point. You have now left a first impression with a new customer, one that is poor, which will inevitably lead to them remembering this throughout the game as they try it whenever anything else goes wrong. Next time the encounter a problem they will think, well one of the first quests I got in this game wasn't even able to be done cause content didn't exist.

This is my experience with Neverwinter. And I am familiar with the Cryptic way of things, as I came over from STO, even after hearing very mixed opinions on this game which honestly tended more towards the negative. I can see why the opinions tended to be that way.

Here are some easy reproduction steps. there are 2 ways you could do this.

First
1.) Log into any character between level 5-13
2.) Hit K to bring up the queue window.
3.) Click on skirmishes in the Queue window. Notice there is no Blacklake terror skirmish

Second.
1.) Start any new character, or be a new player completely and start your first character
2.) Do the tutorial, and run around the city doing all that stuff until directed towards your first main adventure zone, Blacklake District.
3.) Upon zoning into Blacklake District, and being level 5-13, talk to Penny the Apprentice and get the quest "The Lurking in Blacklake", if you want you can also listen to her explanation on the queue and skirmish system.
4.)Either tell Penny the apprentice you want to queue for Blacklake Terror skirmish (Nothing whatsoever happens when you select this), or Hit the K key to open the queue window. Click on skirmishes and notice THERE IS NO BLACKLAKE TERROR SKIRMISH!.

I am quite disappointed with my initial experience, not so much that there are bugs, but the fact that it has been mentioned many times and seemingly ignored. The op in the maze engine bug thread has been updated many times, this has been reported in that thread many times. I tagged the dev that started the thread with one message in that thread, I left notice on the activity portion of his page, I posted in the patch announcement for the first patch afterwards, I posted in the newer Queue system issue thread, and still it does not even appear to be acknowledged in any way. This is the most troubling part, because every thing that has to do with High level stuff, or especially something they want paid for has been acknowledged, or even already fixed. Apparently this game doesn't need or care about New players that may come.

Even with the issues cryptic seems to have, and the issues I have seen from years on STO, this is just ridiculous, honestly. I don't remember getting any mission in STO that had no content with it and couldn't be completed. There have certainly been bugs that made some missions tougher or problematic. But over there is a wonderful person that goes by the name of LaughingTrendy, who the Neverwinter Team should talk to and learn from. Because she is one of the best CM I've ever seen. Trendy will pass messages along, and help acknowledge the fact that issues will be looked into, here the person responsible doesn't seem to be able to even do that.

This seems to be the only queue that didn't get added back in, I saw no mention of it being removed, and the quest giver still gives it out. It is probably an easy bug to fix, since its proably akin to someone didn't turn the switch on, maybe its not that easy, but it cant be harder then some one the other ones that have been fixed, or even just acknowledged.

Sad part is Neverwinter seems like a pretty decent and sometimes fun game, but with all the negative opinions, posts and other stuff around about it, having my first experience ever in this game being this, it's a pretty bad start. So maybe you care about this issue or not, maybe i'll play some or not, maybe ill check back in a month and see if this was fixed, or not. And I wont even get into the first mount quest for new players/characters that can get bugged and not complete too, at least that appears to have a work around.

So yes while this may seem like a small issue to many people, it can have a big impact on the wellbeing of this game.
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• Options
    stdeirdre#7506 stdeirdre Member Posts: 2 New User
    Please pay attention to this problem. Skirmish does not exist in the queue and no opportunity to complete the quest and get the achievement.
  • Options
    nisdiddumsnisdiddums Member Posts: 81 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2016
    Hey there.
    I received a report of this issue last week, and the team will be working on a fix for it early in the week.
    The goal for us will be to get this - as well as a number of fixes to improve the queue system - out to you with the next update.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.
  • Options
    agolfagolf Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @nisdiddums said:
    > Hey there.
    > I received a report of this issue last week, and the team will be working on a fix for it early in the week.
    > The goal for us will be to get this - as well as a number of fixes to improve the queue system - out to you with the next update.
    >
    > Thank you for your understanding and patience.

So this was posted a month ago and it's still missing, is it going to be fixed soon ?
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    I ran it this morning. It is level gated, like all the other leveling skirmishes.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    merseles1108#9530 merseles1108 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I don't know how to move forward in game without this mission.. It's 8/3/2016 12:46 am and the mission ain't there for me to play..
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User

I don't know how to move forward in game without this mission.. It's 8/3/2016 12:46 am and the mission ain't there for me to play..

if you are above lv 12 or something (not sure on what level the cut off is) then you can no longer queue for the black lake skirmish. All the skirmishes in the game are locked to a certain bracket of levels. black lake is only available from lv 5ish to lv 12ish. Orc Assault is only from lv 12ish to lv 18ish as examples
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    douglet#8842 douglet Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I can't purchase any packages until I've done everything in Blacklake, but I can't get to the Skirmish because of the level gate. I guess they really don't want the money.
  • Options
    Zen Market should be entirely separate from game content.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    faalkon5faalkon5 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I can't purchase Zen until I've finished all quests in Blacklake District. Guess what? This quest is the only one there and I am level 36 and the skirmish will not show.
  • Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    faalkon5 said:

I can't purchase Zen until I've finished all quests in Blacklake District. Guess what? This quest is the only one there and I am level 36 and the skirmish will not show.

Not true. Blacklake quests only specifically affect invoking. They can be used for 1/3 of unlocking the AH, Zen and other stuff. But, the skirmish does not count. See below for specific needs.
    arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1222015/pc-combating-gold-spammers/p1
  • Options
    ghinellil#8845 ghinellil Member Posts: 1 New User
    I stopped to play because of this bug. I'm back and still stuck because this skirmish not show up. Guess i'll delete it again :)
  • Options
    e1ementoe1emento Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
    This is why I have continued to ask the devs to consider these skirmishes as new CTA events.
    Blacklake Terror is only one of three skirmishes that do happen to get leveled past quite easy.
    The other two being Defend the Village in Rothe Valley and Aberrant Assault in Whispering Caverns.

We also have three dungeons they removed to be fixed but have not heard a word since their removal.
    They are Lair of the Mad Dragon in Helm's Hold; Throne of Idris in Ebon Downs; and the Dread Vault in Whispering Caverns.

Without these skirmishes and dungeons, their story arcs can never be completed.
  • Options
    dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    Side question, why are the Skirmishes locked out after you reach a level but the dungeons are not? Why lock the skirmishes but not the dungeons? I am curious why the two different ways for these content items.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    As with many other things in the game, the difference comes down to the fact that they were added by different Dev teams. In the original version of the game up until mod 6, you could only queue for skirmishes and dungeons if you were in a specific level range. However, the dungeons have entrances on the questing maps and you could enter from the door regardless of your level. Someone who queued for a dungeon would only get grouped with people who were also in the appropriate range. Mod 6 dumped all of the heroic dungeons (based on what I've heard as I was taking a break from the game) but the skirmishes remained. At some point later, most of the 'Heroic' or leveling dungeons got added back, but as 3 person content with no restrictions on group size or upper cap on level. Presumably the lack of an upper cap was due to the fact that many players would have outleveled them in the time that they were unavailable (speculating) and also probably to increase the possible number of players that would queue for them. I remember waiting in queues for over an hour back in Mod Zero for the old dungeons.

So the TLDR is that Skirmishes act like they have since the beginning of the game. Normal Dungeons were removed and later readded by a different team.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    e1ementoe1emento Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
    Yes but as of yet, not all the dungeons have come back as I have mentioned.
  • Options
    notrustyou#2934 notrustyou Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Well... Not to necro-bump this thing. But... I'm new to Neverwinter. As soon as i leveled up to 25 i got mail from Penny asking for my help. I go and talk to her, she gives me the blacklake skirmish quest aaaaand it's bugged.

I never got any notification for a skirmish here. Didn't get her mail until level 25 and have NO WAY of initiating this. Are the devs from Destiny working on this?
  • Options
    If you're 25 you've leveled past it and it won't show for you at all.
  • Options
    angelterri77#9997 angelterri77 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Nevermind, the low level skirmishes were removed in 2019 but they never removed the NPCs:

pitshade said:

No one from Cryptic has even acknowledged that the leveling skirmishes are missing, much less given any information about their return. The Community Manager frequently replies to bug threads on Mondays so there is hope she will see this thread.

The removal of the low-level skirmishes was mentioned in the Queue Changes blog and patch notes and a forum thread was replied to last week, prompting a special mention of this during last week's stream.