test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HR skill canceling compared to other DPS classes

dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
As you know animation management for Hunter is not so forgiving. Attempting doing something else(shift, another attack, at will) either breaks encounter attack or consider attack finished, so Hunter may loose some damage potential. I think this is not consistent policy for all HR skills. For example, CSH daily ball can be summoned, but in last moment you can cancel it with shift and entire AP returns to you.

CW Steal Time is immune to shift movement, you can spell and shift in same time. That was since mod 2.

SW Dreadtheft (big clumsy pipe) is opposite, it can be cancelled by any shift movement and any external stun.

I never had to bother about GWF damage, GWF damage is already solid if you do marks, HD, BF, stacks but i never paid attention on how that certain skills can be cancelled and effect will be still valid. I tested recommendations of post' author on my GWF, so it is very simple. But when i compare to my HR, it feels like dirty trick.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1204070/icydrakes-gwf-pvp-build-mod-8-speed-demon/p1
My idea of GWF is simple, I try to keep my weapon on my enemy all the time, after all if I cannot reach my enemy, no matter how strong my character is, I deal zero DPS, hence SPEED/MOBILITY is the key to this build.

On Defense, SPRINT is your best friend, the bonus Deflect and the CC immunity effectively reduce the damage you take and maximize the damage you deal. Cancelling your attacks' animation with sprint is a very important part of a successful GWF.
EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
"When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
— (The unwritten rule)

Comments

• wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    Once you get to used to all HR skills then skill cancelling can actually be really useful. Like you have just started an Encounter Animation and a big red blob appears, dodging will make you immune to a lot of things for a brief period and you also get to fire the Encounter after.

Some Encounters will let you do this like Constricting Arrow, which is good if you know how to control it, or bad if you don't realise it can and/or will happen. Some powers will not let you fire it off afterwards so you just have to learn to time dodges at certain times in a rotation.

What annoys me though is when you clearly see the power fire off, sometimes even hit an enemy, but as you get hit by something or dodged then the power does not work. When running Skirmishes last night I noticed that heck of a lot, I even hear a hit marker sometimes and something has stopped the power working.

One of the reasons I love the Careful Attack > Gushing Wound combo's is if they both hit and you have the Feat where crits reduce cooldown times (Trapper) is sometimes your Encounters fill up before even switching stances (usually in ranged) so you can spam them a little before switching to ranged.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Thorn Ward is my main gripe with regards to this. I have lost count of the times I have fired TW off, heard the animation and seen it land then viola! TW was not in fact cast. One encounter that I can never ever seem to cancel, on the other hand, is Cordon of Arrows, no matter what I do.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    HRs do make use of skill cancelling, most notably with Cordon of Arrows and Constricting Arrow, but not the extent that other classes do, such as SW and GWF. You also do have skill weaving, such as with Clear the Ground and Rapid/Split/Electric/etc. Shot attacks. The timing is far more precise than GWF and SW though; you are right in the fact that if you cancel at the wrong time, you will either lose the skill/whiff it and have to recast, but once you do it enough it becomes second nature anyway, just like any Trapper rotation.

Notably, there are some skills that you cannot cancel, such as all charge-based skills except Cordon of Arrows, such as Bear Trap and Hindering Shot. Additionally, you cannot cancel Fox Shift.

The skills I would use cancelling for is mostly Cordon of Arrows, and sometimes Constricting Arrow and Thorn Ward (timing for TW is hell, would not recommend unless you know the exact timing because you have to recast if you dodge too early).

Oh yeah, there's also that little problem of HAMSTER stamina regen that HRs have.
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    ralexinor said:

HRs do make use of skill cancelling, most notably with Cordon of Arrows and Constricting Arrow, but not the extent that other classes do, such as SW and GWF. You also do have skill weaving, such as with Clear the Ground and Rapid/Split/Electric/etc. Shot attacks. The timing is far more precise than GWF and SW though; you are right in the fact that if you cancel at the wrong time, you will either lose the skill/whiff it and have to recast, but once you do it enough it becomes second nature anyway, just like any Trapper rotation.

Notably, there are some skills that you cannot cancel, such as all charge-based skills except Cordon of Arrows, such as Bear Trap and Hindering Shot. Additionally, you cannot cancel Fox Shift.

The skills I would use cancelling for is mostly Cordon of Arrows, and sometimes Constricting Arrow and Thorn Ward (timing for TW is hell, would not recommend unless you know the exact timing because you have to recast if you dodge too early).

Oh yeah, there's also that little problem of HAMSTER stamina regen that HRs have.

I do not remember the last time I ran out of Stamina ha ha, but then I use Steel Breeze and Slashers Mark combo :)

Without one of those skills it is a nightmare trying to manage stamina :)
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I again have no problems whatsoever with Stamina. I have 5/5 in Swift Footwork (10%), Ghostwalker (25% ranged), Elven Resolve (10%) and 374 on Stamina Gain stat. I still need Dwarven Stamina boon (5%). I never seem to run out of Stamina.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    You won't run out of Stamina in PVE if playd correct, but you will run out of stamina pretty easy in PVP instead :/
    GRAVITY X GAME
  • ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Stamina is never an issue in PvE, that particular comment was directed towards PvP where you will run out of stamina no matter what, and running Slasher's Mark in PvP is a death sentence against most classes.

My comments about cancelling still stand though - those apply to both PvE and PvP, although the only things it really applies to for PvP is Fox Shift and Constricting Arrow. Steel Breeze is also weave-able.