test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Return on Investment

r000kier000kie Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 517 Arc User
Icewind Dale... this mission giving three very valuable potions... PLEASE, make it available from a NPC only, not automatic every time one enters ID 1st time a day. I had to keep it as a hidden mission for over 1 year, with the odd moment when I decide to do it, as I did today.

It is as annoying as the DR bug, that no-name L1 mission called "Mission" which pop up randomly when I enter Dread Ring, with no quest attached, and which sometimes get completed by itself.

Thank you!

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    r000kie said:

It is as annoying as the DR bug, that no-name L1 mission called "Mission" which pop up randomly when I enter Dread Ring, with no quest attached, and which sometimes get completed by itself.

Yeah, so....

Just so you know, if "Return on Investment" is active in your journal, "Mission" will pop up in DR. "Mission" resolves when you forge a gauntlet. It will not spawn at all if you don't have "Return on Investment".

(Surely you can see the irony of the one quest that bothers you being actively created by the other quest that bothers you.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    I am not kidding at all. I figured this out ages ago, and while I have made bug reports about "Mission" explaining exactly how it happens, nothing yet. I suppose I could try again.

I am only making fun in the regard that I do think it's funny that your two annoyances are intrinsically linked.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    I have never even used the potion from RoI. That quest is the biggest reason my new characters never go to IWD.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    What's the problem with it? You go in, you talk to 1, 2 or 3 people and it resolves. And you can do it while you are picking up the tasks for the Pass or the Valley.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    I pretty much only got to IWD for the 'Need For Mead' quest. Picking up the 'Return on Investment' quest items only adds a few seconds to my visit and I then sell everything to Eglendar (the last of the three quests) for gold to clear my inventory before heading off to try and snag a young yeti.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    That quest is annoying as it takes up real estate of the quest list on the screen. The potion is pretty useless for me and they take up inventory space. My "solution" is to take 2 potions (many weeks ago) and not to complete the quest.

No, I don't want to talk to that 3 person (actually 2) every day. There is no good reason for me to do so. No, I don't pick up any regular tasks in IWD at all.

When I go IWD, I only pick up 3 quests. 1. Needless attraction (AB) /Biggrine, 2. Demonic HE. 3. Need for Mead. Then, go direct to DV. One bee line from the pier without detour and without talking to the people who I don't care. Yes, I know I am not a sociable person. :(

No, I don't expect they will change it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    I also sell the coalesced potions for gold. One day, surely it will do me some good.

The salves, I get into stacks of 99 and then AH them when prices are high.

Neverwinter Census 2017

greywynd said:

What's the problem with it? You go in, you talk to 1, 2 or 3 people and it resolves. And you can do it while you are picking up the tasks for the Pass or the Valley.

The fact that the quest will not go away.

Goes away just fine if you complete it.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    Then it comes back the next day.

aulduron said:

Just hide it and be done with it. What's the problem?
    "Mission" :P

Neverwinter Census 2017

aulduron said:

So do it daily.

So do it daily.

aulduron said:

Just hide it and be done with it. What's the problem?
    Hiding it does nothing. Even with it hidden, the quest path often defaults to it.
    greywynd said:

aulduron said:

So do it daily.

So do it daily.
    What good will that do? The quest is still there.

I have no desire to ever enter IWD again, and have absolutely no use for the "reward". As I said: my new characters skip the entire campaign in order to avoid the quest spam. I wish my first characters had done the same.
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

Yeah, so....

Just so you know, if "Return on Investment" is active in your journal, "Mission" will pop up in DR. "Mission" resolves when you forge a gauntlet. It will not spawn at all if you don't have "Return on Investment".

(Surely you can see the irony of the one quest that bothers you being actively created by the other quest that bothers you.)

Haha, I never knew that.

In possibly related "how is it even possible that these wires can even get crossed" "game features", completing a Demonic HE in WoD will satisfy the encounter requirement for the IWD HE+ice daily; at least for TT's, and I think for ABs as well. Many times have I been in WoD, completed a demonic HE, and suddenly I'm told I've completed Safe Keeping (the TT daily). Presumably a Dread Ring HE or even a stronghold demonic HE might work, but I've not tested this.
    zibadawa said:

In possibly related "how is it even possible that these wires can even get crossed" "game features", completing a Demonic HE in WoD will satisfy the encounter requirement for the IWD HE+ice daily; at least for TT's, and I think for ABs as well. Many times have I been in WoD, completed a demonic HE, and suddenly I'm told I've completed Safe Keeping (the TT daily). Presumably a Dread Ring HE or even a stronghold demonic HE might work, but I've not tested this.

Any HE at all. Neither rep quest specifies that the HE must be in IWD. That is probably a relic of back when the only HEs anywhere were in IWD, so there was no need to specify a region.

Neverwinter Census 2017

zibadawa said:

Any HE at all. Neither rep quest specifies that the HE must be in IWD. That is probably a relic of back when the only HEs anywhere were in IWD, so there was no need to specify a region.

On the other hand, the intro quest to the campaign that requires you to complete an HE does actually require that HE to be in IWD. I've a toon that's been running tons of WoD demons that still has that quest left to do.
    zibadawa said:

zibadawa said:

On the other hand, the intro quest to the campaign that requires you to complete an HE does actually require that HE to be in IWD. I've a toon that's been running tons of WoD demons that still has that quest left to do.
    That intro quest is weirdly specific. When it tells you to try your hand at mining black ice, it has to be from the node right by the quest NPC, nowhere else. Back at launch, it was a free-for-all node, fixed at some point to be a per-character quest interact item. Used to be pretty frustrating....

Neverwinter Census 2017

• darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    Um, no one "enjoys the pop-up" -- we just click the "Force Display" box to set it to "Do Not Show" and ignore it.

If you're so OCD you can't leave one quest in your quest log, well, that's on you.
    It still shows when I hit Do Not Show. I'll be following the quest path in some other zone, and notice that it's leading me right to IWD.
    aulduron said:

It still shows when I hit Do Not Show. I'll be following the quest path in some other zone, and notice that it's leading me right to IWD.

This is a general bugfeature of the quest path system.

i don't even enter iwd anymore... what do do there after finishing campaign?

Black ice to upgrade armour (not necessary anymore) and to make 8 hour overload enchantment.
    AD (Biggrine, yeti treat, KR).
    SH (SH quests for coffer donation)
    RP (tons of drop in the inn quest)
    Make KR key (to get more from KR).
    PVP (although I don't do that).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    aulduron said:

It does not show for me. I pick up one potion and do not complete the quest. I make it "do not show" in the journal.
  • chaosweaver83chaosweaver83 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    qexotic said:

I pretty much only got to IWD for the 'Need For Mead' quest. Picking up the 'Return on Investment' quest items only adds a few seconds to my visit and I then sell everything to Eglendar (the last of the three quests) for gold to clear my inventory before heading off to try and snag a young yeti.

This is what I do also. Still pretty stupid. It should be available at an NPC should you actually want the rewards, not forced into your quest log.
    I discovered a slightly weird thing about this quest by being in Caer Konig right during the quest reset.

Under those circumstances, Alden Lowell does have the quest and it does not automatically start, but it does automatically start whenever you next zone in.

But it does indicate that there's already some scripting in place for having Alden Lowell give the quest.

Neverwinter Census 2017