test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reg1981 3.4k - Hellbringer - Fury - The Boss Killer

reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
edited December 2015 in The Nine Hells
Hey folks,

I've had a few people asking about my SW build so it's time to share. I've had lots of help along the way but with the modifications and tweaks I've made I now feel comfortable calling it my own.

I've gone Hellbringer - Fury and mainly focus on single target damage. I can melt mobs but my job is to pick a fight with the biggest guy in the room! I'm a Dragonborn at the moment, I started as a Human. I WILL be returning to Human as I found the extra feat points made a bigger difference than the Dragonborn extras.

I use a Lostmouth set for my Neck, Belt and Artifact.

In my offensive slots I use Azures/Radiant. In my defensive slots I use Darks/Radiant.

My weapon/armor enhancements are a Vorpal/Soulforged. I will soon be looking at using a Terror enchantment in my weapon as it does additional necrotic damage and with my capstone in the fury tree will cause more damage with creeping death. I'm not sure if that will out weigh the vorpal but I will keep you all posted via this post!

My artifacts I use are The Sigil of the Devoted, Lantern of Revelation, Lostmouths Horn of Blasting, and Tiamat's Orb.

My Neck, Rings, and Belt have enhancements of +100 AP gain.

I just started using the Dragon Slayer rings, I had 2 Personalized Adamant Ring of Recovery's for +394 Power & +394 Recovery prior to that and am not sure which are better. Still testing with this. Update: I went back to the personalized rings. Brought my gear score just under 3.5k and Def better to use unless of course I'm doing dragons!!

If you have questions feel free to hit me up in game, reg1981@reg1981 will find me! You can also reply to this thread and I'll keep an eye on it!

My dallies never change:
Tyrannical Threat and Flames of P....
I can't spell it and updating this on my phone so I can't look at the moment lol

My class feats don't change either:
Flames of Empowerment and No pity, No mercy

My at-wills are always:
Hand of Blight and Dark spiral aura

My encounters do change depending on what I'm doing.

My layout for clearing trash:
Killing flames, Hadars Grasp, Dreadtheft

Boss melting:
Warlocks Bargin, Hadars Grasp, Killing flames

The single target rotation goes a little some thing like this.

WB, HG, spam hand of blight until there is 5 seconds left on the cool down for Hadars grasp then pop killing flames. Repeat.

When it comes to melting mobs give this a try!

Tyrannical Threat, sigil of the devoted, curse the 2 or 3 biggest guys in the room (tab feat) pick the biggest guy and hit him with killing flames, Hadars grasp, dreadtheft. You'll have to circle while dreadtheft is going to make sure you hitting as many as possible but the damage is incredible!

As it is now I can keep my single target setup through all the current dungeons and melt everything with a good party. If I need to pickup the slack for other players in the group then I need to change my rotation to melt. I like having the top pain giver but I no longer go into a dungeon with that as my goal. Depending on the group of course I rarely come out of ECC or ETOS with less than 100 mil damage.

Solo play is still tough, I'm squish as hell but my earth archon is a huge help!

Power, Crit and Lifesteal are my goals. Since I'm wearing the Lost mouth set my endgame goal is to hit about 90%+ crit chance. Not sure if it's possible with this class but I intend to find out!

And finally: Behold Reg1981!!

Here is my overview:

Ability Points:
Starting roll of 16 CON - 16 CHA - 12 INT. Dragon Born allowed +2 where ever I want so I put them on CON & CHA giving me a final roll of 18 CON, 18 CHA, and 12 INT.

Current stats as they sit today Dec 13, 2015:

Movement is 4,250 but missing in the photos, I have the Giant Armored Strider for +4000 movement

My Feats:

My Powers:

My Boons although they are not finished yet:

Sharandar

Dreadring

Icewind Dale:

Underdark:

Tyranny of Dragons:

I have left out the PVP and Stronghold boons for now. As I unlock more I'll update this build. I currently use the Stronghold boons for Power, Lifesteal, and XP!

Here are my active companions. I do swap out the companion in the 5th spot as needed. It provides me +5% to Crit Severity and is slotted most of the time.

Post edited by reg1981 on

Comments

• taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I have tested very similar build, so my thoughts about it... This build is good if u are constantly in party with good gwf's. Good dps for random mobs, but in boss fights SB -> SS deals better damage.
    Overall good build for pve and as said very welcoming change for current SB fury/damnation mafia.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    etelgrin said:

To answer your doubts, no Terror does not proc Creeping Death, but Tenebrous does if you're interested.

Thanks for that! I will put one together and play around with it! It'll be really tough to replace Crit Severity but I'm certainly excited to try!
    etelgrin said:

Could you please explain to me why and how did you find Human bonus over Dragonborn bonus?

ACT showed the numbers down all over however I'm assuming it was a bad day/week. Things are getting better, crits are hitting harder, and damage is overall on the rise. I'll be staying Dragonborn.
    etelgrin said:

Last thing, have you seen soulbinder's damage and surivability?

One of my guild leaders is Daigotsu so I've seen the SB in action. I do have a SB in the works to play around with but am satisified with HB-Fury for the time being so this guy will stay as is!! With the introduction of the Stronghold boons and the amazing amount of life steal provided this is much much better!

Thank you for the positive feedback, I will keep this updated as best I can!

Cheers,
    Reg1981
    Just did respec to HB... I need some change to keep my motivation.
    Killing flames with murderous flames hit's like nuke when buffed.
  • fernuufernuu Member Posts: 453 Arc User

This ^.
    KF vs. single target = GG
    https://youtube.com/c/FernuStormborn

Mod 10:
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Killing Flames deals 16636893 (1009292) Fire Damage to Ethraniev Marrowslake.

Mod 9:
    [Combat (Self)] Your Murderous Flames deals 376274433 (18876929) Fire Damage to Red Tiamat Head.

I don't see Hadar's Grasp useful for trash. Also Killing Flames against a boss? Dreadtheft is particularly good against everything and left out. My two cents.

I don't deny that Dreadtheft is a killer, I just choose not to use it. I find the biggest guy in the room and focus on him. I fight as if it's single target all the time with a side order of Tyranical Threat for the melt. I find "I" do more damage this way because they DT beam can be broken easily if your not quick enough circling. This gives me the ability to shadow slip for a brief moment to get out of the red and back to beating the snot out of enemies :)

I have an ACT log of my KF hitting for over 800k and that was with 3 stacks of companions gift. I can't wait to see what it'll hit with 6 stacks on me!! I'm not sure what other buffs were present at that time.
    reg1981 said:

I don't deny that Dreadtheft is a killer, I just choose not to use it. I find the biggest guy in the room and focus on him. I fight as if it's single target all the time with a side order of Tyranical Threat for the melt. I find "I" do more damage this way because they DT beam can be broken easily if your not quick enough circling. This gives me the ability to shadow slip for a brief moment to get out of the red and back to beating the snot out of enemies :)

I do exactly the same - recently I'm using my boss rotation whole the time (except low areas like Sharandar or Stronghold, where Fiery Bolt can one-shot all pack).

Mod 10:
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Killing Flames deals 16636893 (1009292) Fire Damage to Ethraniev Marrowslake.

Mod 9:
    [Combat (Self)] Your Murderous Flames deals 376274433 (18876929) Fire Damage to Red Tiamat Head.
  • bawzdeepbawzdeep Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I am going to give your build a try, but cant believe you don't use SS. I have been trying different builds on Dragon runs and have a hard time keeping up with other DPS classes. Hopefully this build will give me a boost.
    My overall dps went down, when specced to hell bringer. Still it's nice to try different builds to keep things intresting.
    I am going to go SB and into the fury tree. I just don't see how using KF over SS is a DPS advantage on a single target.
    Buffed killing flames with murderous flames is the hardest hitting power sw has. Problem is you can't really try it in preview, unless you get some party buffs.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited January 2016

Buffed killing flames with murderous flames is the hardest hitting power sw has. Problem is you can't really try it in preview, unless you get some party buffs.

seems to be the same kind of buff the puppet get´s in dungeons
    allways ask myself why these numbers differs that much, depending on the map or place you actually are T1, T2, WoD, SH-HE, can´t say if its the same with morderous flame (never tested), but to speak of the puppet it differs a lot
    How does the OP have 21K power and 18K crit? How many posting have those type of numbers?
    I have (if i remember right) 22,5k power and 13k crit. I use active companion which boost 8k power and 4k crit, or something like those numbers.

I have (if i remember right) 22,5k power and 13k crit. I use active companion which boost 8k power and 4k crit, or something like those numbers.

What companion is that?
    Zhentarim warlock with bonding stones.
    bawzdeep said:

How does the OP have 21K power and 18K crit? How many posting have those type of numbers?

The stats you see above are with my Ioun Stone. It's the Black Dragon Ioun Stone with 3 ring of the loyal avengers and azure/dark enchants. It's a legendary pet so I get 115% of the stats from the pet. Something like 4500 crit.

I've switched to the Z-Warlock with a rank 12, 11, and 10 bonding stone and have seen upwards to 47,500 power and crit lol Amazing boost :)
    bawzdeep said:

I am going to give your build a try, but cant believe you don't use SS. I have been trying different builds on Dragon runs and have a hard time keeping up with other DPS classes. Hopefully this build will give me a boost.

I can top the chart in the dragon runs a lot of the time even against the Fabled SW sets that do 3% dragon health in 1 proc. Now I do kill empowers and the guys with the sets usually don't. If you ONLY focus on the dragon you'll never top the charts there. Kill empowerers and you'll see your numbers rise significantly. There are too many factors in those runs to call it a true test.
    edited January 2016
    For Def. enchants do you think Radiant or Dark? I have slotted all Radiant and thinking about trying all Dark. I am interested in everyone's findings.
  • jayc12ojayc12o Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    > @taitinhakkaaja said:
    > Killing flames with murderous flames hit's like nuke when buffed.

so im assuming murderous flames is broken? I cant see how fury locks can even come close to the dps of a dam lock. Though I have never feated murderous flames.
    4k IL LGPG PVP SW
    Try it with Tyrannical Threat and some nice party buffs. So far max dps done is 10 mil with single killing flames.
    Yes i think combination is broken.
    17 mil done here in Tiamat, with GF Tactician/CW Rene/DC Right buffs (in PvE gear/build).
    But even without it Fury can outdps Damnation.

Mod 10:

Mod 9:
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User

Also Killing Flames against a boss?

Killing Flames, for a Fury spec (Hellbringer or Soulbinder) particularly with Murderous Flames is one part of the trifecta of Encounters you use on a Boss. One of the others is Hadar's Grasp for both specs, and the third is either Soul Scorch for Soulbinder) and for Hellbringer: Warlock's Bargain (if survivability is an issue) or an AoE power for adds: Fiery Bolt or Dreadtheft.

So yes, Killing Flames is the alpha and the omega of Encounter choices you use on a Boss.

One last time, the answer to Killing Flames is...

va8Ru.gif
  • mrshabokmrshabok Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    jayc12o said:

> @taitinhakkaaja said:

> Killing flames with murderous flames hit's like nuke when buffed.

so im assuming murderous flames is broken? I cant see how fury locks can even come close to the dps of a dam lock. Though I have never feated murderous flames.

Fury is the way to go 3k+ IL I think. Before that it's really preference. I'm very glad to see some variety for SW coming out lately though.
    3.5k HB Temptation -- Dread Legion
    Xbox GT -- Mr Shabok
    My Guide
    bawzdeep said:

For Def. enchants do you think Radiant or Dark? I have slotted all Radiant and thinking about trying all Dark. I am interested in everyone's findings.

I use a combo of both. My companion runs dark because the bonding stones don't increase HP with radiants. I have 2 R12 Radiants slotted, everything else is Dark.
    jayc12o said:

Why would you suspect it to be broken? Buffed right anything can do insane damage, some more than others though. Also keep in mind the primary DPS tree for SW is the Fury tree. Just looking at the feats alone, the dam tree is survivability and buffs/DPS and tempt is survivability and debuff/healing. Once upon a time when the puppet was bugged the Dam tree was huge DPS. I'm not saying a Dam warlock is inferior or a wrong choice by any means, but that is how I read the feat layout. Even the capstone feats shows.

Again, all my opinion!
  • jayc12ojayc12o Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I should have specified that i play on Xbox where all the sws seem to be damnation. I have respected to fury several times for pvp ( extra points in temptation for dark revelry). Whenever I t2 I do less than half of what I would do on damnation build. I never had murderous flames feated so never experienced its power. Now that we have mod 8, you think fury is better for demo gorgon than damnation? 3k+ item level if that matters.
    4k IL LGPG PVP SW
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    jayc12o said:

I should have specified that i play on Xbox where all the sws seem to be damnation. I have respected to fury several times for pvp ( extra points in temptation for dark revelry). Whenever I t2 I do less than half of what I would do on damnation build. I never had murderous flames feated so never experienced its power. Now that we have mod 8, you think fury is better for demo gorgon than damnation? 3k+ item level if that matters.

Atm I am temptation but I was fury and damnation before, Soulbinder for sure.
    Damnation beats fury in T1 and T2 in the normal casual gameplay, at BIS maybe fury is better but I never tested morderous flames either.
    Some good performing player do >10 mio hit´s with morderous flames, and sure it´s not WAI, but who cares since our main daily is broken since release and the puppet too.
    In case you run T2 against a furylock and he deals some of these megahits by casting TT and cursing/killing an add, spawning a puppet on top that deal 5x500k hits, you may lose in that bossfight, but that´s theory, practically damnation is easy going and most player will fail in beating a damnationlock.
    At least when I was damnation specced I only met few warlocks that beat me in T2, all damnation, and one BIS fury for a small difference being <3k that time.
    Running edemo i was outdamaged by furylocks with lower gear , maybe these guys already run KF/MF setup? no act running that time

Damnation should be able to win 70% in T2 (except high geared Furylock with good knowledge in mechanics) but I'm not so sure about T1.

Mod 10:

Mod 9:

jayc12o said:

Atm I am temptation but I was fury and damnation before, Soulbinder for sure.
    Damnation beats fury in T1 and T2 in the normal casual gameplay, at BIS maybe fury is better but I never tested morderous flames either.
    Some good performing player do >10 mio hit´s with morderous flames, and sure it´s not WAI, but who cares since our main daily is broken since release and the puppet too.
    In case you run T2 against a furylock and he deals some of these megahits by casting TT and cursing/killing an add, spawning a puppet on top that deal 5x500k hits, you may lose in that bossfight, but that´s theory, practically damnation is easy going and most player will fail in beating a damnationlock.
    At least when I was damnation specced I only met few warlocks that beat me in T2, all damnation, and one BIS fury for a small difference being
    I have a SB warlock that I'm leveling to 70. When I first started I wasn't a fan of the Soul Spark play style so I respec'd to HB. I've since respec'd several time but stayed HB. I look forward to giving the SB another shot. Now that most gear is account bound I can try em both.

Damlocks can out DPS in T1&T2 dungeons because this setup needs an enemy with a large health pool to be effective and we don't have enough of that. We need to lock onto one big guy and go at it. If the elite dies, the flow stops. Just that simple. If I hook onto the right guy a Damlock will never catch me for the mob. In eToS, the great big spider fight is wonderful for my DPS. I hook that large spider with TT, Sigil, Curse, KF, WB, HG, Hand of blight, & KF again when ready that mob and big spider are toast! That right there is my key to success! After that final KF I will also pop off dark spiral aura for AP gain. This is why we do well in eDEMO as well.

If you go the fury tree you likly have MF feated. Killing flames hits harder when the target is under 50% health. It's when all conditions are right it's a nuke. Doing SH dragons I can take an dragon empower out with KF as soon as it goes under approx 45% health. Use it first however and it is lucky to do 1 square of heath. Play with the rotation a little to make it work and it's great! Curse, WB, HG, Hand of Blight, KF @ 45%.

Again, all perspective and MY opinion!! :) Glad people are enjoying the thread! All feedback is welcome!

Cheers!!