test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Game Crash to Desktop and Client Freezes.

taevannyataevannya Member Posts: 70 Arc User
edited November 2015 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
So I've been dealing with this problem for a while now, searching for answers getting none that have helped. First off, this is NOT the login crash issue. I can log into the game just fine. Now that that's out of the way...

Here's my system's specs (homebuild):
Windows 10 Home
Processor is AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor
8GB RAM with 5.96 Physically available
9.15GB of Virtual with 6.72 available
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Video Card
and a 64bit Motherboard, but I don't remember what it is exactly... I think it's ASUSTeK, but I don't have a model number or anything without cracking my system open.
Oh, and a SSHD

If more info is needed, I'll be happy to get it.

So let's get on with the issue. Last time I played NW consistently was with the release of the Feywild. I had a different system then, ran the game just fine (this was back on a 32bit motherboard and windows XP). Well time passed, got into playing some other games for a while that forced me to upgrade the majority of my system to what it is now. I have no issues playing other games with decent to max settings (depending on the game). I've missed Neverwinter though and I'm finally able to return (hurray!) but suddenly problems started rearing their ugly head. At first, I was only crashing to desktop when I got into encounters in skirmishes or dungeons, most notably on boss fights. But the problem has progressed to occurring on MOST mob encounters. Two dudes... seven dudes, didn't matter. Elite types, boss types, one shot peons... didn't matter. Crash after a few moments of combat. And the issue also manifested outside of dungeons just questing around. I do not crash at any other time though. No loading screen crashes, no 'just sitting around' crashes, only when I've gotten engaged in combat. I have not tested this in PVP because well... I'd hate to screw over my team that way if I crashed out on a match.

I have played with my graphics settings. Really, I should be able to run this game at high settings and have a blast with my system specs. As it is, it's crashing with everything set to low/off and changing the settings from maxed out to bottom of the barrel changed nothing. I've heard of some folks saying with Windows 10 to turn off shadows and run everything at medium and make sure you're using Direct X 9 (did it) and it runs fine then. Nope, not for me. Still crashes on encounters, and so far, only encounters.

So, fortunately for me, my husband has his nifty difty gaming PC next to mine. He's got Windows 7 and slightly lower specs than my comp, but I thought I'd try the game there, just to see. Out the gate, maxed settings, didn't touch a thing, game played beautifully for a couple days. Then yesterday, I started getting crashes on encounters while doing dailies in Sharandar. /Facedesk.

So I'm here, again, pleading for help. I'd like to avoid putting in a ticket about this because in poking around the intrawebs, I'm not solely the only person having this problem it seems, but there certainly don't seem to be masses of players with this problem either (my gaming buddy has no issues at all). So some help? Please?
NW-DS9N7XBWI : Tel'met Beth'en Segreduin
NW-DRSTZIHXU : The Silver Hand (needs reviews, RP map)
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• taevannyataevannya Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Thanks for your input, Morenthar! And yes, I mean fight encounters, not encounter abilities. Thank you for bringing up that distinction!

I have updated all my drivers, but I'm not sure it's a Windows 10 + Nvidia thing because my husband's comp is the same video card, but under Windows 7 and it started having the same problems. So... not sure on this and what that might mean.

Hopefully we get some feedback and some additional folks that have the same issues (NOT login crashes!).
    Sad... still nothing on this?
  • rivodus07rivodus07 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    I am getting the same issue I run a brand new £2000 skylake gameing rig with a evga 980gtx sc, and I can play Neverwinter just fine all day long max settings.. but as soon as I enter battle at random points the game crashes to desktop with the cryptic error report that dose not have any text. I have contacted cryptic about this.. The funny thing is my Windows 10 gaming laptop runs the game flawlessly.

One thing I do know is that about two weeks ago I streamed the game for over 8 hours on my skylake pc so I know it's not the pc itself, I think the last update messed with something in game... And knowing Crypitc thy are going to take FOREVER to resovle it.
    Thanks for your post about this, Rivodus. I decided to test the game today since there was another Nvidia update and a game update. Still crashing during fights. Not every fight, but most. I'm hoping with enough player support on this thread, we can get some word on this, but I am trying to refrain from 'bumping'.
    Well the thing is surely the pc's at cryptic studios are gaming rigs to... they must be experiencing the same issues, I am surprised more people have not reported this yet because you simply can't play the game.
  • unraveledoneunraveledone Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    This is happening to a lot of players. My PC is not close to some of the specs you have here, but it usually runs games (Neverwinter and others) good enough for me to at least play. SInce battling with the last patch I have:

Downgraded from Win 10 to 8
    Run compatibility mode for Win 7
    Checked all drivers and upgraded as needed
    Tried running Neverwinter off a clean boot
    Uninstalled and reinstalled Neverwinter
    Run system benchmarks
    Tried running on Mimic(test server)

Finally after fustration I just reinstalled windows 10. I've had so many crashes and cryptic error messages sent in the last week that I'm just going to let it sit. If any admin reads this my character is stuck in Helms Hold. I cant even make it back to a campfire without having mobs attack me and freezing the game. Tried riding my mount and it will freeze doing this also.

As of now I'm not changing any more on my PC. It's less than 3 weeks old and none of us here should have to jump through hoops to play Neverwinter after you add a patch that has had a really negative effect on gameplay.

'nuff said
    edited October 2015
    The thing I don't understand is why dose the game work fine on my windows 10 gaming laptop? with not one crash ever. plus there are people in game right now with no issues... are they all on laptops or something lol?
    Post edited by rivodus07 on
  • krobelus14#4556 krobelus14 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I've been having issues for the last 3 days. I've uninstall and reinstalled. I've force verified.. I'm still waiting on an email from tech support. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. Standing there, doing professions, running (mounted or not), and of course when in combat.. Neverwinter just crashes to the desktop and I get the CrypticError. I've submitted and the, I get this:
    Initializing...
    Attaching to crashed process...
    Harvesting data from crashed process...
    Mode: Customer
    Communicating with Cryptic Error Tracker...
    ERROR: Failed to talk to ErrorTracker.
    Preparing Diagnostic Information...
    Writing Mini Dump...
    Terminating crashed process...
    Cleaning up...
    Deleting Mini Dump...

Complete (Failed)

The only button to click is Cancel. No okay or try again, just cancel.

I have been stubborn with downloading win10. I keep getting the little notifacation from win8 saying "free windows 10" and I keep closing it. I have friends who complain about 10 all the time.

I have an Asus 751m Series
    Intel Baytrail M Quad-Core 2930, up to 2.16GHz
    8GB Ram

All my video drivers are up to date as well.
    I get NO rubberbanding or lagspikes when in game. It actually runs very very clean and smooth. In the last couple days, I've gone from just playing with no problems to crashing every 10-12 minuets. I can't get any dailies done and for have only playing for just over a week solidly, I am very irritated at the whole thing.

(I don't have this problem when playing: WoW; LoL, RIFT, Counter-Strike)
    rivodus07 said:

The thing I don't understand is why dose the game work fine on my windows 10 gaming laptop? with not one crash ever. plus there are people in game right now with no issues... are they all on laptops or something lol?

I don't think so. My friend runs this game just fine on his rig and he's on a PC, but he's also Windows 7. I've heard of some compatibility issues with windows 10 and Nvidia with Neverwinter. People talking about not being able to run Direct X11 and graphics settings with shadows on or other settings above medium. However, I've tried running on all the versions available of Direct X 9 and with all my graphics settings set to mins and off. Still crashing on fights and just fights with mobs.

I've been having issues for the last 3 days. I've uninstall and reinstalled. I've force verified.. I'm still waiting on an email from tech support. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. Standing there, doing professions, running (mounted or not), and of course when in combat.. Neverwinter just crashes to the desktop and I get the CrypticError. I've submitted and the, I get this:

Initializing...
    Attaching to crashed process...
    Harvesting data from crashed process...
    Mode: Customer
    Communicating with Cryptic Error Tracker...
    ERROR: Failed to talk to ErrorTracker.
    Preparing Diagnostic Information...
    Writing Mini Dump...
    Terminating crashed process...
    Cleaning up...
    Deleting Mini Dump...

Complete (Failed)

The only button to click is Cancel. No okay or try again, just cancel.
    Same issue with the CrypticError on my side as well. It's pretty useless and seems to just make my system want to puke :p

edited October 2015
    Tried a couple of times today and it didn't crash. Let me know whats happening your end. I will keep testing
  • krazyangel2469krazyangel2469 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I started back playing a little over a month before the new "Stronghold" patch was added ... since Stronghold, I crash at random times, usually when I am either trying to upgrade my artifact equipment or just sorting my inventory .. have not had a problem in combat except for perhaps 2 or 3 times, but am currently averaging 4-6 crashes in a 8 hour run .. am disabled and have little else to spend time on ... but won't be spending money on a game that is almost as reliable as the weather man predicting next month's weather ... I know it is not my system as I play other MMORPG with ZERO problems .. and Cryptic crash handler is a joke ... sent 26 crash messages to date with nada response from Cryptic and no help in any way to be found ... if anyone can clue me in on how to fix the crash bug, I would be greatly appreciative ... but as to Cryptic, my faith in their ability to handle customer problems is GONE ... can't even get help from any of the sites that are supposed to be there for customer service/help .... Here is to hoping.
    I hear ya, Krazyangel. I'm suspecting that there's not a fix on 'our' end, but one on Cryptic's end and they just haven't fixed it yet.

Rivodus, I'll check when I get some free time, maybe on Friday. Good to know it's behaving for you! Which is why I think it's something to do with tweaking in their systems for playing nice with ours. I'm not moving back to previous Windows platforms though because I do know that with them pushing this whole Xbox One thing (which is a Windows 10 platform) they're going to be working on making their game work with it. I just don't think they've smoothed out the bugs with that.

Time will tell, but in the mean time, it'd be nice to hear back from someone that this is at least on their radar :/
  • l3thin4thl3thin4th Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 198 Arc User
    rivodus07 said:

Actually, I am on laptop and I have an Nvidia card (GTX 850m).
    I had 2 crashes in the last year.

I run the game at medium/low graphic only because my connection is not the most powerful one and I want to keep even the last bit of computing power for the network.
    But I run it at times at maxed graphic without a problem.

My guess is that it is a drawing related issue on some specific cards. Probably the game is asking to perform operation that might lead to driver crashes.

Lethinath - DC

Fayn Fiddler - HR

Jean Fiddler - OP

Quinn Fiddler - TR

Tre'Davious Flynn - SW

Bogus Skullslicker - GF

Vanhankaupunginselk - CW

Alea - GWF

Noble Misfits

edited October 2015
    This is the weirdest bug I have ever known in a video game... So I turn on the desktop the other morning with all the graphics and settings maxed and I thought is was going to crash on combat, So I walked in Tiamat and did the whole fight not one crash.. I killed loads and loads of mobs in different zones ... Nothing.. So a few more days pass I turn the desktop back on and guess what? the game crashes on fights again .. crash crash crash crash it wont stop.. what the hell is going on? honestly Cryptic I'm so frustrated right now

Is anybody with a gtx 980 ti having these issues?
    Is the game still crashing during fights for you taevannya?
  • alexorz2alexorz2 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I have the same issue.
    I've tried:
    1. running the game in safe mode: makes the game more stable, crashes occur, but not as often.
    2. running the game in dx9 or dx9ex: still crashes, but less.
    3. running the game windowed: no change.
    4. changing setting in nvidia settings: no change.
    5. running the game as most important process: still crashes, but a little bit less.

I'm running out of ideas and of outside help.
    Some other guy on the forum suggested to turn off "on-demand patching". I have my doubts, but I'll give it a shot.
    3.6 GB download. Awesome... :s
    alexorz2 said:

I have the same issue.
    I've tried:
    1. running the game in safe mode: makes the game more stable, crashes occur, but not as often.
    2. running the game in dx9 or dx9ex: still crashes, but less.
    3. running the game windowed: no change.
    4. changing setting in nvidia settings: no change.
    5. running the game as most important process: still crashes, but a little bit less.

I'm running out of ideas and of outside help.

There is nothing you can do trust me.. I have been trying to sort this problem out for weeks.. there is simply nothing you can do.. my other forum thread about this is " High end rigs and Neverwinter unplayable? "

If you ever find a fix for the combat crash for the love of god post it here I would love to know the fix.
    Turning off "on-demand patching" seems to have worked, played for 2 hours straight with no crashes today! The most I could do before was something like 20 minutes. I don't know if it worked completely, but it sure made a difference!
    edited November 2015
    alexorz2 said:

Turning off "on-demand patching" seems to have worked, played for 2 hours straight with no crashes today! The most I could do before was something like 20 minutes. I don't know if it worked completely, but it sure made a difference!

Just so your aware there was one time when I logged on and did two dungeons with no combat crashes at all... I was amazed and thought the issue was fixed, but then I played the next day and it was crashing in combat again.. please let me know how long you managed to play for.. and let us know how you got on the next day.

thanks
    Unfortunately it seems to have been a bout of good luck, I'm back to crashing in combat again. This is disheartening.
    alexorz2 said:

Unfortunately it seems to have been a bout of good luck, I'm back to crashing in combat again. This is disheartening.

Yep sorry buddy until the devs or someone looks into this the game is unplayable ... It's one big waiting game ... I'm sure when a Dev gets a new pc and it crashes in combat all the time for him then something will be done about the issue.
    Still crashing in combat.
    edited November 2015
    Did some more tests .. the game dose not crash if you have it running in compatibility mode of Windows 95 and Windows 98, the only problem with that is the game runs like trash :(
    edited November 2015
    I'll give that a show.

Now I'm crashing every time I play the Temple of the Spider Jevahn Jhalvar fight and also the Shores of Tuern boos Garakas.
    That makes earning the dailies pretty much impossible.

Edit 1: Results: crash in under 5 minutes, and 5-10 fps. Definitely a no go with compatibility mode for w95 or w98.

Edit 2: No crashes with compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3, but also no sound.
    Post edited by alexorz2 on
    It crashes in all modes for me apart from win95 and 98.. I've given up now the desktop will never play this game properly. Im playing fallout 4 now .. highest ultra settings 60fps. This issue will never be fixed.
    UNDERDARK IS OUT!!! game still crashes to desktop during fights.......
  • tadorotadoro Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I also experience crashes to the desktop as does my wife on another computer, using a different motherboard, processor, and video card. We are both using xp, sp3 and nvidia graphics with 4 GB ram. We both use a hardwire ethernet connection through Comcast. We can crash randomly whether in or out of combat and with the following symptoms, which occur with roughly equal regularity:

1. Crash to desktop with no error message at all.
    2. Crash to desktop with Cryptic error screen.
    3. Crash to desktop with message "Direct 3D driver returned error code (E_outofmemory) while creating a texture".

Due to lag, rubberbanding and server disconnects, we both run with minimum graphics settings. We can play the game, but crash to the desktop at least every hour. I tend to think the different error messages (or lack thereof) indicate unique crash reasons, but that is only a guess. Updating drivers, patching game files, safe mode - all have no effect.

Two good friends nearby also play the game, one with Win 7 and the other with Win 10 and both have lag and server disconnects, but no crashes. They also use Comcast. I am at a loss to understand what is causing this.