test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Weird lag starting a few days ago...

bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
edited November 2015 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
So I've been experiencing this really peculiar lag over the last few days - it manifests as a temporary drop in FPS to single-digits, then returns to normal after a few seconds, (usually lasting no more than 2-3 seconds). What makes this odd is that it happens no matter if I drop all my graphical settings to their lowest, or whether I keep them at what I normally use. I ran a netgraph while this was happening, and there were no spikes - it stayed a "well-trimmed lawn" the entire time, and disabling some of the GUI elements didn't help, either. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    Ever since the "13-hour maintenance", I've been getting weird random laggy play... but because of the obscenely long load times that I've been experiencing, I've honestly not been playing much lately.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    Few months ago cryptic changed visual presentation of network lag. Network lag was causing mostly rubberbanding, which was obvious for everyone experiencing it. Probably because of too many complains, and inability to fix root cause of problem (e.g bad network connectivity), they decided to change in-game effect caused by lag. At first it was changed to simply drop frame rate - like it was graphics lag, not network lag. Then this was changed several times to look little differently. Now network lag causes weird effect which feels like game works on slow motion, or like you fight with tied hands (my English es not good enough to explain it properly but in short if it feels weird, it is most likely network lag with nicely masked as some other effect)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    mmm1001 said:

Few months ago cryptic changed visual presentation of network lag. Network lag was causing mostly rubberbanding, which was obvious for everyone experiencing it. Probably because of too many complains, and inability to fix root cause of problem (e.g bad network connectivity), they decided to change in-game effect caused by lag. At first it was changed to simply drop frame rate - like it was graphics lag, not network lag. Then this was changed several times to look little differently. Now network lag causes weird effect which feels like game works on slow motion, or like you fight with tied hands (my English es not good enough to explain it properly but in short if it feels weird, it is most likely network lag with nicely masked as some other effect)

I don't think it's that, though - the netgraph itself doesn't seem to reflect the lag. As I mentioned, the lag occurs regardless of whether I'm on the lowest or my "normal" graphics settings...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • evaliraevalira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 245 Arc User
    "Weird lag starting a few days ago..."

Oh only a few days ago - lucky you.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    Any other ideas
    evalira said:

"Weird lag starting a few days ago..."

Oh only a few days ago - lucky you.

Well, my main computer has died, so while I wait for replacement parts to arrive, I'm stuck playing on my old inferior one...
  • skybalbeskybalbe Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    Same problem here!!! Can this cause by "RECENT LATENCY ISSUES WITH CRYPTIC SERVER: 198.49.243.253" ???
    Any news about that??
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited November 2015
    What @bioshrike mentioned sounds more like someone is using Prism or a similar skill in his vicinity. Prism causes a major frame rate drop on a lot of peoples computers. It's not lag, it's FPS drop. It happens to me on my laptop anytime someone uses that feat. I don't think it's about that other server that @skybalbe mentioned.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • skybalbeskybalbe Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

What @bioshrike mentioned sounds more like someone is using Prism or a similar skill in his vicinity. Prism causes a major frame rate drop on a lot of peoples computers. It's not lag, it's FPS drop. It happens to me on my laptop anytime someone uses that feat. I don't think it's about that other server that @skybalbe mentioned.

Oh well i'm not so "tecnician" :-) but the problem is recently and too regular: every 1-2 mins there is a fps drop for a 4-5 seconds...
    I use a laptop with nvidia gt330, i5 and 8 gb, with all graphics effects turn off (shadows also) and sliders set to min. Can Prism or some GUI effect do that effect on this "setup"?
    Ty