test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help for New Players - Stuff I Wish I Knew Before I Learned the Hard Way

heethinheethin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
edited November 2016 in Guides

DISCLAIMER:

This list is way biggerer than I expected, but I got a lot of help and it has blossomed. You may need to be familiar with *some* Neverwinter jargon. I recommend a touch of time in game... follow the quest paths, get to maybe level 8 and then come back. You won't damage your character. If things go well, come back a few times as you gain experience and things that made no sense early on will hopefully have more meaning. Good luck. If you feel something is missing or confusing, I'd be delighted to clarify.

The Point

This guide is meant to provide useful tips that aren't obvious to new players. It's one person's opinion. There are many ways of doing the Neverwinter Adventuring bidness. The dream is to provide enough info that when a reader hits a familiar topic they go "Oh, yah, I remember getting screwed by that." or "I wish I knew that a while ago" or "This guy's an idiot... but let me think about that, anyway."

I'm not intending to post "the obvious", my apologies if you feel that I have. Unless it's something that I've screwed up, or against which I've seen many people bang their heads, in the name of brevity, I'm leaving it out. [ed: Brevity. HAH. Wrong Thread.]

GENERAL

• A good intro from the early days and another.
  • Want a *quick* rundown on the classes? Redditor cacktusjack made a great summary right here.
  • PC - Need in-game help? Use the unofficial chat channel, type "/channel_join NW_Newbie"
  • PC - There is a chat channel dedicated to players who don't use exploits or cheats. Join via "/channel_join NW_Legit_Community"

On Identification

• Only use scrolls to identify gear (and sell it) to the point where you can get your first mount for 5gp. (If you pay Zen for a mount, then there is no reason to hoard gold by identifying and selling gear.)
  • After that, don't ID anything green your characters can't use. Exception: Refinement of Artifact Gear begins at level 60.
  • Understand how trade-able an item is before you get it.
    1. "BoP" = Bind on Pickup. As soon as your character touches it, it's staying with them until you sell (not trade), use, salvage, or discard it.
    2. "BoE" = Bind on Equip. Trade-able. Anything on the Auction House is BoE. You can get it, pass it between your characters or resell it, up to when your character wears or uses some aspect of it.
    3. "BtA" = Bind to Account. You can't put it on the Auction House, but you can move it between your characters.
    4. Also - The Devs have goofed a few times during special events by mislabeling BoP companions as BoE. People have been "burnt." Before you spend hours grinding for a companion, take a few seconds to search the interwebs for related news.

On Inventory

• Don't skip the quests in Blacklake District or Neverdeath Graveyard, they give you free bags.
  • You can also get a bag from the Benign Order of the Third Eye mini-campaign.
  • Dragon Cult 20-slot bags have often been a better buy on the AH than the Bags of Holding from the Zen Store.
  • Bags you buy are NOT transferable between your characters, and they may bind immediately, and without warning, if you have an open bag slot.
  • The bag from the Dragonborn pack can be claimed on all characters.
  • Do not buy a Bag of Holes.
  • An item is Recommended when it has a gold glow around the icon in your inventory.
  • Equipment that is "Recommended" is not always better. The game uses a simple sum of statistics and it fails to include key aspects in the calculation.
  • Shiny purple enticing lockboxes drop during battles and may have prizes inside. You may purchase keys to open them (usually about 125 Zen (~50 kAD) per key/lockbox). I can't speak to how good the lockbox loot is. I can say that it is perfectly OK to discard the lockboxes, if you choose not to buy the Zen keys. I have one slot in my bag dedicated to them. Eventually, when the game offers a new style, I discard the old pile. Some lockboxes have become quite valuable when held long enough for them to become rare.

On the Monies

• Don't buy Zen through Steam, use Arc. (PC Only)
  • Do not buy Zen or Astral Diamonds through 3rd party dealers. You will be permanently banned.
  • Don't use Astral Diamonds to buy from the in-game vendors if you haven't first compared prices on the Auction House. If an item is on the AH, it is probably cheaper than the game's built-in vendors like the "Wondrous Bazaar."
  • Don't buy anything in AD that you can buy in Gold. Gold is usually only valuable at the beginning of the game, the most exciting things will be bought with Zen or Astral Diamonds. At level 70, you will probably have more Gold than you know how to spend.
  • The seals from Bounty Hunters in each zone are not valuable, they get you equipment that would be good for a character who hasn't completed the tasks needed to earn the equipment. (Seals of the Elements and Seals of the Protector are exceptions).
  • Send Gold to your other characters using the Bank in Protector's Enclave. Open your Bank window. At the bottom of the pop-up, there are fields to deposit and withdraw Gold.
  • Pass Astral Diamonds between characters using the Astral Diamond Exchange. On the character with AD, create an offer to Buy Zen at a price of 50 AD each. Then, with the "Listings" tab, cancel the offer. On the needy character, in the "Buy Zen" tab, click the "Withdraw" button.

On Teaming

• You don't have to do any of the team dungeons or skirmishes as you level, though you may miss a title. Some of the gear you win is good respective to the level.
  • Please take a moment to understand dungeon etiquette.
  • Your character's class may have an effect on how quickly you can queue for Dungeons. For example, Paladins tend to queue quickly. HRs do not.

More info including Level Specific recommendations in the comments!

Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• heethinheethin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2016

Miscellaneous

• To get items out of the mail, you must go to a mail carrier or box. There are a few in Protector's Enclave (one near the main entrance, Coriol Street Gate), but they are rarely in other zones. Anyone with VIP Rank 6 or higher can also summon up a mailbox anywhere, that anyone can use (only 1 person can target it at time).
    • Mimics are treasure chests that attack when you open them. To identify a mimic before it attacks, hover your cursor over all chests. If there is an olive-green money bag or a gear at your pointer, it's a treasure chest. If it has nothing, the chest is a mimic and will attack you if you activate it.
    • You may find that you have no quests. (This is likely if you are questing with someone else.) Try building experience with Skirmishes, Dungeons, Invoking and Foundry (Foundry is only available on PC) quests. Put Azure Enchantments in your available Utility slots. When you gain a level, check back with Knox. He will eventually give you something to do.
    • You can use a companion before one is given to you by the game at level 16. They often sell cheap on the AH.
    • You can use a mount at level 4, before the mount education quest at level 10.
    • Save your coalescent and preservation wards. They are needed for making high level enchants. Don't waste a coal ward on anything that has more than 10% chance of success.
    • It takes about 40-60 hours to get to level 60, another 15 to get to 70. Until you get to level 60, leveling up is mostly linear; it does not take much longer between levels as you increase.
    • When a chest requires a key, you can often keep the key if you decline the reward... a nice option if you don't get the desired loot and don't want to pay for another key. This has been deemed a bug by the devs and will be fixed sometime after Mod 10.5 (date not known at time I'm editing this).
    • Strongholds - Here is an outstanding guide to Strongholds. Absolutely worth the read.
    • Have you finished all of your quests and want to go back to the quest giver(s) at a recent camp fire? Try changing the map instance (see bottom right of your map window) which places you at the closest campfire.... Or...
    • PC - There is a set of foundry quests under NWS-DCBUN62WF which can be used to get you back to Protector's Enclave from some of the most far off places in each adventure zone.
    • PC - Here's helpful thread that includes how to test your build and check-out new releases via the preview server.
    • Xbox/PS4 - There's no foundry for Xbox or PS4.

LEVEL 10 - Heroic Feats and Paragon Paths. Want to follow a Build?

LEVEL 10 - Professions

• Most professions offer more character development ("I imagine my character is good with leather...") than booty. To get lots of AD, they must be Worked and require considerable start-up costs.
    • An exception (somewhat) is Jewelcrafting. It offers BiS Personalized Gear which can't be obtained any other way than through the profession. There's some decent instruction here on how to do it.
    • Alchemy is an easy profession to get a tier 3 result and unlock an extra professions slot. This is because the rare tasks that can give tier 3 results are much earlier in the Alchemy than with others. Though progressing in Alchemy is subject to RNG, if you don't have all of your slots open, it's probably the fastest to get to level 25. (If you have AD... you can buy a lot of the resources that are used for experimentation and steamroll Alchemy).
    • To make Unified Elements in Alchemy, you must perform level 25 experimentation a few extra times.
    • Leadership used to provide Astral Diamonds, making it everyone's favorite. More recently it's been changed... :s It is still good for Refinement Point items if you are willing to work to get it up to level 21 - 25. Leadership levels slower than any of the other professions.
    • For Profession Assets: Study the auction house for a while to find cheap assets. It can be cheaper to buy 4 greens and upgrade to 1 blue than purchase a blue asset; ditto for 4 blues to 1 purple conversion.
    • If there is a current or new lockbox with a profession box as a potential drop, a Zen store sale on profession boxes, or some event that has a BoE drop of something profession-related, assets will be cheaper. Watch for them, as people will open them hoping for something specific, and then unload the things they don't want and keep undercutting each other. In these cases, things are usually cheapest over the weekend.
    • Corollary: if something new comes out in professions, (like jewel-crafting) that shares an asset with the profession, the prices will sky-rocket for it, and probably be highest over the weekend. ]
    • For a task that can utilize more than one asset, the Optional slots can be filled with any asset for that profession.

LEVEL 10 - Mounts

• You get a free token for a free common (white) quality mount at level 10. You probably don't have enough gold to buy a mount outright, so this will help.
    • If you decide you want a non-standard mount, strongly consider buying an Epic (Purple) Mount with Zen. It will be available to all your current and future characters. Mounts on the AH are Bind on Equip (BoE) and not available to more than one character.
    • With the new mount system, it is best to get any Epic (purple) mount from the Zen store, and then just choose the mounts you want by their appearance, as you can make any mount go at any speed you have unlocked.
    • All Epic (purple) quality mounts have stats. Pay attention to these when buying a mount, so you can get a mount that is great for your class. All Legendary (Orange) mounts also have Combat Powers, these are special mount powers that you can use while in combat for specific effects. Some are attacks, and some buff your character.
    • Different mounts have different insignia bonuses. For a full list, please look here. Not all mounts may be available on all platforms.

LEVEL 10 - PVP

• PVP can be frustrating if you aren't aware that it is loaded with people who are spending money or who have high level characters supplementing low level alt's.

LEVEL 11

• Pray (Invoke your God) frequently, with Ctrl+I at the camp fires once it becomes available. It is necessary to have first completed all of the Blacklake District's quests, and you'll need to complete a quest for invoking from Sgt. Knox.

LEVEL 15 - Enchantment/Refinement

• Don't refine enchantments after you've tried it and learned how. (Here's why.) After that, sell enchantments or use them. It is cheaper to buy a higher level on the AH than it is to refine. You probably won't have the option to buy upper level Artifacts (available level 20ish), so refining Artifacts is a good use for Enchantments you don't wear.
    • The quests that educate you on how to enchant will provide you with a ring with an enchantment slot. It's not a bad idea to get the best enchantment that you can afford from the AH and use them both.
    • Before you get to 60, your gear will change often. Getting the 'right' enchantment for your build will be fairly meaningless. Radiant (yellow) enchants are a great bet, they offer power or hit points which are always useful.
    • My preference for early gaming is Azure (blue) enchants in Utility slots for experience gain. If you can get Dragon Hoard Enchantments... they are *vital* for the artifact refinement boosts they drop. PVPers might want Dark (magenta) for movement.
    • Before level 60, Rank 5s are a good target, but not required for PVE. For early PVP, Rank 5s are a pretty decent balance between cost and power. Of course, they may not put you on par with the most dedicated PVPers.
    • Your native success rate for creating an epic weapon or armor enchantment from an enchantment shard is 1%. Yes, 1%. This is why coalescent wards are valuable.

More in the next comment!!!
    edited October 2016

LEVEL 16 - Companions

• At level 16, a quest gives you a free companion. The Apprentice Healer is the only free healer you can get. Even if you only use him between battles, the savings in healing potions is excellent. PS. He is saying, "I have one word for you... *Leeches*."
    • You cannot have more than one of a particular type of Companion active. To clarify, two Strikers (style of companion that does damage) are OK... Two Sellswords (one type of the Striker genre) are not allowed to be active.
    • Augment Companions are not valuable. Do not buy or upgrade them without good reason. A combat companion using 3 normal bonding runestones will provide your character with more stats.
    • It has been noticed that the stats for "3 stat enchants" (Black Ice and Draconic, for example) do not show in your companion's stat sheet. When using a bonding or eldritch runestone, or an augment :s , they do show up in your character's stat sheet, though it may be necessary to dismiss and re-summon to see it.
    • Only a summoned augment companion will give you its full stats. If you have more augments in your stable, you will only get their active bonus.
    • If you have a Jewel (from Jewelcrafting) that increases the Regen/AP/Stamina stats for the equipment you have on an augment companion, the Regen Jewel does get reflected in your character stats but the AP or Stamina increases do not.
    • It is usually cheaper to buy Purple companions outright than to upgrade a lesser to purple.
    • Once you decide to upgrade a companion to Legendary, if it is active, any summoned companion will grant you 15% of its stats.
    • Before buying a companion, is it the one that you want? Learn about companions' active bonuses.
    • At low levels, the companions with straight stat bonuses (such as "Armored Orc Wolf, +100/190/300 Critical Strike") may have appeal, but as your performance increases, you will get greater benefit from those with percentage adjustments (such as "Blink Dog, +2/3/5% Combat Advantage Damage").
    • Your companion gear slots are not level restricted! Put max level gear on them for best results. How about some of these?
    • Do not put level scaling gear, such as Ensorcelled equipment, on a companion. Why? Companions max out at level 40, so you will not be getting the full benefits from the gear. When you inspect the gear, it will show the stats for YOUR level, but your companion won't get those stats.

LEVEL 26

• You get to begin the Tyranny of Dragons campaign. It's worth doing a bit each day. You'll get decent gear, good experience, and progress on boons (permanent bonuses to your character).

LEVEL 60

• From Level 60 to Level 70, you will get to play along with Minsc and Boo. If you do, you will also get to adventure in these zones: Drowned Shore, Reclamation Rock, the Fiery Pit, and Spinward Rising.
    • It's best to do the Elemental Evil campaign in that order.
    • Recommendations for what to do once you get to 60, until you can get to level 70. Highest Priority First...
      1. Utility slots = Azure Enchantments.
      2. Do Tyranny of Dragon quests from Harper Boward and the compadres that sit with her.
      3. Do all the rest of the dragons in the adventure areas (Ebon Downs, Neverdeath Graveyard, Rothe Valley, Whispering Caverns, and Icespire Peak).
      4. Do some work in your Stronghold if you have a guild.
      5. The Minsc Quests.
      6. The Lost Dwarf Quest line
      7. The Maze Engine campaign quests
      8. The Elemental Evil areas (Spinward would get first priority).
    • ... prioritizing the work in that way gets you experience AND progress toward your Tyranny of Dragons campaign boons. If you want more detail, here's a good thread.

More stuff in the next comment!

Post edited by heethin on
    edited July 2016

LEVEL 70

• To get started, look into buying high powered Blue gear on the AH.
    • When you do an epic dungeon or skirmish, you may get Blue T1 equipment which can be salvaged. This equipment can also be purchased with the Seals of the Elements. (Most Purple Gear can be salvaged, too). That gear and Guild gear from Strongholds - blue and Dragonflight - are account bound, and can be given to your alts... and each class can purchase gear for any class (this is awesome, just requires looking through the full menu of your Stronghold's Outfitter).
    • Do the Vault of the Nine quest. The artifact that you win can be used by all of your characters at the same time (for your other characters, pick them up from the Reward Claims agent). These artifacts cannot be used to refine other arties, their only downside. It had been the case that you needed 2 characters which had reached level 70, but it has been confirmed that you can do the quest as soon as you reach level 60 with 1 character (you may need a group if you are playing on an undergeared or squishy character).
    • In the Dread Ring, make quick progress on the boons by focusing on the dungeon lair quests (Death Forge, Phantasmal Fortress, Dread Spire). You don't need to do the other dailies every day. Also, you can lessen your grind with Priceless Thayan Antiquities or Thayan Relic Fragments, which you may be able to find on the AH or get them from Unearthed Lockboxes or Rusted Iron Lockboxes. Turning these in will reward you with enough campaign loot to get to your first few boons in no time.
    • In the Death Forge, you can prevent some of the Adds from joining the fight by interacting with the Soul Batteries / Caskets that she spawns.
    • You can buy the first two Sharandar Boons (buy Fomorian Concoctions on the AH, use them at the Sharandar Merchant to turn them into Gold Crescents), and have them almost immediately, but doing so does not reduce the time that it takes to get to the rest of the boons.
    • You can use the Barbarian relics stockpiled by one toon to make Ice Wind Dale easier on other toons, meaning you can just do the daily (Needless Distractions) and be done. 20 relics give ample supply to pay for the boons and black ice shaping. You will still need to chase a bit for the 300 black ice, but it's not too bad.
    • You can find a Genie's Gift in some lockboxes, it can give you a boost in any of the campaigns. These can also be bought on the auction house.
    • As you improve your gear, you will want to start paying attention to the possibility that you've overloaded on a stat. ie, HR can easily have too much Armor Penetration for PVE, where the belief is that the most Resistance Ignored (from ArmPen) that you could use is 60%. Here's a post that helps prescribe Armor Pen related to some of the maps.
    • Here's a list of all of the weekly quests which grant AD:
      • Arcane Reservoir (Sharandar)
      • The Red Wizards (Dread Ring)
      • Biggrin’s Tomb (Icewind Dale)
      • Reclaiming the Horde (Tyranny of Dragons)
      • Protecting the Portal (Harper Boward, Tyranny of Dragons)
    • In the Well of Dragons zone chat, when people say "Fresh run," they mean a new empty instance that has been formed, not just a new run. This reduces the chance that people are questing or sitting afk at camp, thereby improving your success rate.

... Thanks to my guildies and the Neveredditors for their help on this.

And thanks in advance for your ideas.
    --heethin
    another placeholder... just in case this keeps growing.
  • luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Great piece of work. Tiny updates needed in light of the changes to campaign zones (can't go there before 70 now afaik) and elemental evil (only need to complete 8 per area). May not be worth updating before underdark though as I hope some of that gets changed!
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    Good stuff, though some additional formatting of the "General" section could help reader-friendliness.

Also you might want to add Genie's Gift, the one-size-fits-all campaign currency trader token found in more modern lockboxes, to your campaign shortcut list.
    Thanks for the edit ideas. They've been added.
  • shakota#7594 shakota Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Awesome post, thanks for all the effort.
    One thing about Sword Coast Adventures that you may want to add ...
    Professions. You can access your professions here, and collect your reward or start a new quest. I have found this much more efficient than being in-game and taking care of it. Especially with a few alts.
  • ultimateblu#0961 ultimateblu Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    good info, but i think you are underrating the aurora book for the new player. the lantern is a great choice for the stats and some extra damage when you use it, which i took for HR from the quest. but i got the book through a skirmish on another char as well and it is really been in my active slot ever since. the convenience of having a store for buying/selling in-game is great. but also the stats are deflection and movement. deflection is good for those chars that need it like HR and TR, but the movement is excellent because it's not a common stat on a lot of gear and it's also one that's hard to take next to power, crit, arm pen, or really anything else. so having the book really helps to add a little extra movement which is another convenience in pve or pvp.

also, for new players like me, by the time you get to 70, even if you've been consistently dropping all your enchants into your artifact, it's only going to be blue (maybe halfway to purple) at best. and the special power which you can only activate once every few minutes is not going to be really OP or anything. so it's a stat stick basically. and it's the only one to give you deflection.

most class builds can benefit from the lantern or waters stats, so i agree, you should think about that before taking the book. but if you took it without knowing all that, it's ok. it's not the end of the world. and as for me, i don't regret it at all. besides, i fully expected that there are better artificts that will be harder to get and might replace those free ones anyways. i just got my sigil of the hunter and will go for sigil of the trickster tonight. i'm not really interested in leveling anymore chars to 70 anytime soon...but i concur that you should check out those sigils at the claims vendor in enclave because maybe you might want another's class sigil.

and thanks for telling us that the sigil is available to all chars after you get it the first time, this is good to know :3
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    My thoughts on classes:

Guardian Fighter (GF): Very survivable, but lower damage and no sprint/dodge means that gameplay can be plodding.

Great Weapon Fighter (GWF): Good damage & survivability - a great first class for a new player.

Control Wizard (CW): Good damage and controls - a little "squishy", so may be a good choice once you are more experienced.

Oathbound Paladin (OP): Very survivable, only moderate damage, suffers from the same mobility issues as the GF, but gets an on-demand dash ability with no cooldown very early on, which somewhat mitigates that. In place of a dash/dodge ability, they get a block, (similar to a GFs), but which also heals all in a small radius around them. Has the added flexibility of becoming a tank or healer at level 30.

Trickster Rogue (TR): Very high damage, but can have survivability problems if not played by an experienced player. Still, their ability to enter stealth gives them superior control over how a fight goes.

Devoted Cleric (DC): This is my favorite and most-played class. While they may not be necessary for every team, I view them as not just a healer, but as a force-multiplier. They bring some of the best team buffs and enemy debuffs to the table, and can solo quite effectively. Their class mechanics of building up divinity, then casting powers in divine mode, then taking advantage of the stacks of empowered you build up, can seem daunting to the uninitiated, but once you get that eureka moment, it all comes together.

Scourge Warlock (SW): This is a class that I have somewhat mixed views on. They can do high damage, but definitely have some issues with survivability. With proper support, they can deal great damage, but the class is in need of a lot of love, and may be a better choice once you have some game time under your belt.

Hunter Ranger (HR): This is another class I'm rather fond of. They mix ranged and melee damage with a variety of survival and buffing tools. Trying to find a good balance among all the options can be a task unto itself, but similar to the DC, once you do find that sweet spot, everything just falls into place.

My thoughts on spending on the Zen Market:

As the OP mentioned, do not buy through Steam - there may be complications or restrictions if you choose this method of payment, and you're better off just buying your Zen directly. Give yourself at least 1 solid week of playing, before you spend any real money - if you enjoy the game, then go ahead and buy some Zen.

If you are enjoying the game, then here is how I'd go about buying that Zen:

1. Buy $10 in Zen, (that should come out to 1000 Zen).
    2. I believe it's still running, so you should get the First Time Buyer's Pack. This gives you a good tanking pet and some other goodies, simply for buying at least 500 Zen, so you haven't actually used up any of that Zen yet.
    3. If you've been playing for a while, then you should have discovered that you sometimes get a coupon when you invoke, (something you're directed to learn about at level 11). If you get a "15% Off any item" coupon, use it to buy 1 month of VIP access for 850 Zen. The important things about doing this is that it gives you some daily ID scrolls and an enchanted key - this allows you to open 1 lockbox per day on 1 single character - considering that this amounts to 30 such keys, and that even with the best enchanted key coupon, it would still cost more than twice what the single month of VIP gives you, I feel it's worth it. One important note here is that I recommend checking the value of these items on the auction house (AH) to see if any are worth selling, instead of directly using. If you get lucky, and get a valuable item, it may in fact be better for you to sell it on the AH and use the Astral Diamonds (ADs) you get to buy more Zen, and then spend those on an account-wide mount or even more VIP time, if you are enjoying things and plan o sticking around longer, (and creating more characters to boot).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    Nice infos for starters but those builds are old.Please etiher remove older ones or put a notice about them.I dont want Gfs running around with BI gear
    omghelp said:

good info, but i think you are underrating the aurora book for the new player. the lantern is a great choice for the stats [...] the convenience of having a store for buying/selling in-game is great. but also the stats are deflection and movement. [...]

Book on AH: 50k AD

Lantern on AH: 400-500k AD

That's on average 400k difference. Or two week's grinding AD. Or a tenner for ZEN.

Smart kids buy Aurora, and grab the Lantern for free...
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    I'd remove the link to the dungeon etiquette as the majority of its info is woefully outdated. So much so that anyone following its advice might as well be playing a different game.

Also I disagree with "don't ID anything green your characters can't use" With the drop rate of ID scrolls you might as well use them to ID stuff to either sell for more gold or donating to the guild coffer if they happen to be in a guild.

Also, how do you not have to Lia Knowles's GWF build guide? If you're going to link build guides, pretty much remove any pre mod 6 build guides since most of them are so out dated do to nerfs and feats being moved around that they will just inform new players how to make a useless mod 6 toon.

And finally, you should mention that the T1 blue Elemental Alliance gear is BoA and you can purchase gear for other classes via the misc tab from the seals trader which makes gearing up alts a little easier. Btw, guild gear is also BoA so you can do the same thing if you're in a guild.
  • tvcitytvcity Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    i've never read guides before playing, 'cuz i wanna play...you know :D
    anyway, nice guide....
    edited October 2015

Awesome post, thanks for all the effort.
    One thing about Sword Coast Adventures that you may want to add ...
    Professions. You can access your professions here, and collect your reward or start a new quest. I have found this much more efficient than being in-game and taking care of it. Especially with a few alts.

I very much appreciate the comment, but at the risk of deterring future helpfulness, I am leaving this out because I feel that I've already recommended the Gateway and I have to have a cut-off somewhere... I didn't find the professions tab... erhm ... difficult to find.

[ed- what the hell, one or two extra words aren't going to be what makes this a long post. Added.]
    Post edited by heethin on
    tvcity said:

i've never read guides before playing, 'cuz i wanna play...you know :D
    anyway, nice guide....

Thanks for posting, I'll make that recommendation. Very helpful.
    omghelp said:

good info, but i think you are underrating the aurora book for the new player. the lantern is a great choice for the stats and some extra damage when you use it, which i took for HR from the quest. but i got the book through a skirmish on another char as well and it is really been in my active slot ever since. the convenience of having a store for buying/selling in-game is great. but also the stats are deflection and movement. deflection is good for those chars that need it like HR and TR, but the movement is excellent because it's not a common stat on a lot of gear and it's also one that's hard to take next to power, crit, arm pen, or really anything else. so having the book really helps to add a little extra movement which is another convenience in pve or pvp.

Yes. That's reasonable. The recommendation is to not buy it "*solely*" (emphasis was in the original) for the market function.

edited October 2015
    dsn1118 said:

Nice infos for starters but those builds are old.Please etiher remove older ones or put a notice about them.I dont want Gfs running around with BI gear

I've recently had a discussion on Reddit with KatoZee, who is no longer playing about this exact issue regarding his trapper build, but his build is still filled with excellent information, and it's still recommended every time a request for a trapper build comes up. I decided to leave them in the guide (at least temporarily) for two reasons:

1. The two most intellectually challenging factors are character build and tactics/power/feats. Those haven't changed much. And, until other builds surface, I'm ok with people wading, on their own, through the limited choices in gear. The links are preferable to nothing, which brings me to my next point...
    2. I welcome recommendations to add.
    snotty said:

I'd remove the link to the dungeon etiquette as the majority of its info is woefully outdated. So much so that anyone following its advice might as well be playing a different game.

Also I disagree with "don't ID anything green your characters can't use" With the drop rate of ID scrolls you might as well use them to ID stuff to either sell for more gold or donating to the guild coffer if they happen to be in a guild.

Also, how do you not have to Lia Knowles's GWF build guide? If you're going to link build guides, pretty much remove any pre mod 6 build guides since most of them are so out dated do to nerfs and feats being moved around that they will just inform new players how to make a useless mod 6 toon.

And finally, you should mention that the T1 blue Elemental Alliance gear is BoA and you can purchase gear for other classes via the misc tab from the seals trader which makes gearing up alts a little easier. Btw, guild gear is also BoA so you can do the same thing if you're in a guild.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment and for appreciating the effort that has been put in to put this together.

Do you know of any information on dungeon etiquette that is more current and complete?

I don't disagree with "Don't ID anything green..." It's just one person's (mine) opinion and it's a recommendation that takes into account the costs of time and inventory, which to me are more valuable, than the 100 RP points or the coin... plus picking up greens in a dungeon is a way to get on your team's bad side, though most of us are used to it by now.

I will definitely add Lia Knowles' GWF build. I'd be glad to add any other post Mod 6 builds that I see surface with good support from the community. I won't get all of them, that's what the googles are for.

Excellent point on the T1 blue EA and Guild gear. I will add that too.

Keep them coming.

i took lantern, and found the book in a skirmish ;3

omghelp said:

good info, but i think you are underrating the aurora book for the new player. the lantern is a great choice for the stats [...] the convenience of having a store for buying/selling in-game is great. but also the stats are deflection and movement. [...]

Book on AH: 50k AD

Lantern on AH: 400-500k AD

That's on average 400k difference. Or two week's grinding AD. Or a tenner for ZEN.

Smart kids buy Aurora, and grab the Lantern for free...
    i did understand and note your emphasis, but my intention was just to say that new players, it's ok if you take/took the book. it's not going to break your char or build :)

also, thanks for the advice on sigils, because although i'm loathe to level another char to 70, i didn't know you get all the sigils you unlock on every char, and since artifacts are not that easy to get, having the devoted one might be nice until a super special rare or set one is found.

thanks again for the info!
    heethin said:

omghelp said:

Yes. That's reasonable. The recommendation is to not buy it "*solely*" (emphasis was in the original) for the market function.

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    heethin said:

Do you know of any information on dungeon etiquette that is more current and complete?

The best recommendation I can make is to discuss things with your teammates - agree on things like loot rolls, strategies, and so on, before you begin, so that there's no ambiguity or confusion once you've all committed to running said dungeon.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    bump
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    sticky this
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    When people say 'fresh run' in WoD they mean a new empty instance that has been formed, not just a new run. This avoids the problem of people questing or sitting afk at camp.
    subnocte said:

When people say 'fresh run' in WoD they mean a new empty instance that has been formed, not just a new run. This avoids the problem of people questing or sitting afk at camp.

Added, thanks!

bump
  • subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Level 26 - you get access to the Tyranny of Dragons campaign. It's worth starting this straight away in order to work your way through the rewards, you can get some decent gear early on.

Level 15 Enchantment - you get a ring with a slot. Keep it for a few levels, there's virtually no gear available before level 20 with an enchantment slot, and with a rank 5 from AH it's far better than anything else.

Correction - lockboxes always come with trade bars, not sometimes.
    subnocte said:

Level 26 - you....

:) Added all that. Thanks for the input!

• endureilendureil Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Great guide, been very useful for me since I came back from my long break from the game!