test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Making of Mantol-Derith

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
edited October 2015 in News & Announcements
Take a look at the process of creating Mantol-Derith: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9594573

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    Love the Dev Blogs, keep them coming! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    metalldjt said:

it's funny how it took me a 10 minutes in paint to make a better Stronghold MAP that requires 15 vs 15 players instead of 20 vs 20 , ideal for less lag and faster matchmakin, not to mention it doesnt last hours.

weird right what paint and simple things can do.

yet again hope you do understand that your player base is 50% of bots?
    2000 bots are active in cave of elements , but yet they still count in your 'DATA" as player base.

I found an even better PVP map by using google image search:

edit: removed picture

Post edited by strumslinger on
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Nice blog entry; it was nice to get an insight into how the devs build maps, especially into the thought process during the actual building of one. Maybe it will help when I work on my own Foundry maps.

One small concern I have is potential asset lag. That's not to say that I see any indication that there would be some in this case, but one of the first things the blog reminded me of is Caer-Konig (maybe it's the hyphen in the name, who knows). CK is very visually appealing, but of all of the zones, for me at least, it has the worst asset-loading lag. In this respect it far surpasses PE. I don't know if it's because too many models or textures are used in such a small space, or if their fidelity is too high, or if it's something else, but moving through CK is a frustrating exercise of "move a little, wait a little, move a little more, wait some more." If you could test for issues like this it would make playing them a lot more enjoyable.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    soooooooooo @strumslinger
    i see the map of mantol derith city and the entrance of the new he/raid demogorgon....
    does this mean there are no new complete environment but just a city where picking up dailies which send us to old zones?
    i m wrong, right? :s
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    There is definitely more Underdark than Mantol-Derith.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User

There is definitely more Underdark than Mantol-Derith.

:*
  • nahevrysnahevrys Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    As drow addicted, I am excited to see Underdark coming.
    As 3D artist, I am amazed by the awesome job you guys are doing.
    I sometimes just sit with my toon in some area and look around the beauty of the concept.
    Can't wait to see more <3
    ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ Drow addicted ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~ ° ~
  • licete#1612 licete Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    great! post more making of =]]
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,140 Arc User
    metalldjt said:

it's funny how it took me a 10 minutes in paint to make a better Stronghold MAP that requires 15 vs 15 players instead of 20 vs 20 , ideal for less lag and faster matchmakin, not to mention it doesnt last hours.

weird right what paint and simple things can do.

yet again hope you do understand that your player base is 50% of bots?
    2000 bots are active in cave of elements , but yet they still count in your 'DATA" as player base.

Do you have empirical data showing proof of the number of bots in the game or are you just pulling numbers out of your HAMSTER?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.