test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Win a Signed Copy of R.A. Salvatore's New Book, Archmage!

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
edited October 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Update: Congrats to jprdrizzt and bourgaultnation! Please check your inboxes!

As you know, R.A. Salvatore signed two copies of his new book Archmage on stream – it was his first time doing something like that! We also said we would be holding a contest to see who gets those prized copies and that contest is here. We want only the truest of Salvatore fans to own them, so here’s how it’ll work: simply tell us how his stories have inspired your own life.

Here are the rules:
  • Only adventurers in the continental U.S. can win a copy.
  • It must be at least two paragraphs longs (at least twelve sentences total).
  • All entries must be on the official forum topic below.
  • Entries will be accepted until October 16, 2015 at 11:59PM PDT.
  • Winners will be announced on October 20, 2015.

Thank you for continuing to support not only Neverwinter, but R.A. Salvatore himself. We look forward to seeing how he’s inspired you in one way or another.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9567243

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Post edited by strumslinger on

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Shame us EU players can't participate in this. I'd love a signed copy.
    Why is that? I know DHL delivers here too xD

I believe it's an issue with both shipping costs and customs issues. Probably more the customs issues than anything.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Well, I'm probably wrong then. :(
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    jandorieljandoriel Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    His works have inspired many more other authors to contribute in Forgotten Realms. By the way, Forgotten Realms Wikia celebrates it's 10th anniversary!!!Check it to see any piece of lore from the Realms and discover the great world that gave birth to Drizzt, Elminster, etc!
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

I believe it's an issue with both shipping costs and customs issues. Probably more the customs issues than anything.
    I doubt it is anything to do with Customs. I don't know about the rest of the EU but here in the UK there is no customs duty on books, not even the dreaded VAT as books are zero rated :)

One thought is that if this is a US first edition not yet available outside the States, then the Publishers might have vetoed shipping copies overseas. I cannot believe Cryptic are so strapped for cash that the shipping costs would have posed a real problem.

• Options
    opalsunsopalsuns Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Drizzt Do'Urden story is an example of how my own life has unfolded. An underdog who never felt like he fit in with his peers, or environment, but finds the strength through his own desire for a pursuit of freedom from the chains of impossibility, and pushes forward to defy the odds of expectation. In my own life this too has been my story. I went against the grain pursuing my passion of music as a career, and never gave up that pursuit, despite being told the impossible wasn't possible.

Now I am a full time musician and music video director who has been fortunate through hard work to achieve a level of success that has freed me from having to submit to the pressures of pursuing something that was not within my own heart. Through Drizzt Do'Urden own stories I found some common bond that I could relate to that inspired me, that you never give up the fight no matter how bad the odds, you have to continue to follow your heart and keep going until you reach your destination.
    CW SS
    opalsuns
    Paragon Gaming

• Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    I was first exposed to tabletop D&D back when 1st edition was still around, but it was a single experience in a homebrew campaign and wasn't really exposed to any of the larger campaigns (such as Greyhawk's world). However, it was enough to pique my interest, and shortly afterwards 2nd edition came out.

Convincing some high school friends (we were around the age of 13-14) to try this out with me, a few of us pitched in together to buy a Player's Handbook, a Dungeon Master's Guide, and a campaign setting to work with: The Bloodstone Lands.

As the one with the most drive to start up our own gaming group, I took the initiative to read all of the rules and really dive into the Bloodstone Lands. A few days later, we all sat down for our very first adventure.... and despite some drawbacks, a few deaths (oops), and much hilarity, we were all thoroughly hooked.

27 years later, we still occasionally get together to game, and are all still very close friends, having been together and seen each other through high school, university, weddings, the birth of children, and even go through the loss of some of our friends and co-workers, and struggle alongside one of our gamer's battle with cancer a few years back. And through it all, it was Bob's wonderful writing of that 2nd edition campaign setting that gave us that initial spark that started us on our own little sojourn ;)

Blades high, Bob.

PS - Canadian here, so ineligible for the contest, but wanted to share this nonetheless.

• Options
    sacdragonsacdragon Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    An interesting contest. Perhaps I find it more interesting due to my own life experiences. I have been gaming since the end of the '70s, starting out with that most hallowed of games, first edition Dungeons and Dragons (before they decided to make an Advanced version!). I have been on both sides of the DM's screen, and have loved a multitude of perspectives and experiences. I can recall the first Salvatore book I read, the Halfling's Gem. I too, was raised in a harsh, cold environment, and not all of it had to do with the weather. I learned at a tender age what perseverance was all about, and what it meant to fight to survive.

I also learned as I entered adulthood that no matter how badly we want something, no matter how much we have a dream, or a vision of our life, it doesn't always work out that way. And I remember reading that first trilogy, and being able to relate, knowing I could compare a lot of it to my own past. As I discovered more of Mr. Salvatore's books, I read them, often voraciously, and always more than once. And just as Drizzt, Bruenor, and even Zaknafein experienced life altering changes, and became better versions of themselves in some way, I too discovered joyful change. I now work in a field that I honestly never envisioned myself in, yet I love nonetheless.

Regardless of whether I win or lose, I tip my hat to Mr. Salvatore. And I thank him for so many fond memories. I have started perhaps 20 or 30 novels of my own over the years, but never seem to be able to finish them. Perhaps I will begin reading his books again, and perhaps I will find the inspiration to push forward, and actually try to see one published. Regardless, I thank you, sir.
  • Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

I seem to recall some moronic international rules for "games of chance" which I guess this would fall under, and many countries don't allow them unless they are heavily regulated.

One way around those rules (for some countries) are to make it a competition, by having the participants answer a question correctly to be eligble to win, no matter how easy it is...
  • Options
    sirwulfgaar#7213 sirwulfgaar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    If i had to say how Salvatore impacted my life, I would have to say he really founded outlook on what life can be if you make it yours. I know I am a lot younger than most of his readers, surely, but even back into elementary school, circa 2002, The Thousand Orcs was lovingly stuck under my arm at all times. Not age appropriate for that time perhaps, but none the less, It captivated me. My father always had some of his books laying about and although I may not have read them in order per say, I know I've read them all. It leaked out of just reading though, once I figured out I had a knack for doodling. Any assignment I turned in was met with a concerned look as my representation of Obould was murdering the answer to number 4 of my work. It never got better either, and almost has turned to a habit than a hobby. During this formative time of my life, I battled childhood obesity. But, these books helped me make a positive choice for my life. I could drag on about how I decided to become a health nut, weld a war hammer from plate steel, and live my life as I think my main man Wulfgar would, but in short, the sheer nobility of the barbarian that Salvatore conveyed gave me a model for life that to this day I adore. No matter what trouble I face, whether it's my own insecurity or the storms of life, I always can look back to these books and feel like maybe, just maybe, I can make it through okay.

So yes, I would say that Salvatore influenced my life, by giving me something to look to, and regain faith that life can be fantastic.
  • Options
    cynbadwellscynbadwells Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    My mom has always been a huge fan of Salvatore's work, which is how I discovered him and the incredible characters he weaved into the Forgotten Realms world (which I had already been introduced to via table top DNDing with other members of my family). The moment I read the first paragraphs surrounding Drizzt Do'Urden, Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie, Regis, and Bruenor Battlehammer, I couldn't believe I had never read about them before, and it felt like I had found a new group of friends, as reading has always been a way for me to escape reality at least for a little bit. I'm so glad I picked up those books - they've really inspired me.
    His characters inspired me to take a few more chances, and it was partially due to one of R.A. Salvatore's quotes that a big part of my life changed. I'd been in my high school marching band for 3 years, and one of my pipe dreams was to be drum major. My junior year, my director held tryouts, and a pre-requisite for these tryouts was to write a paper, including a quote that inspires us. I used one of Salvatore's quotes in my paper, and my explanation of how he's affected my life helped me to win drum major - it was an absolutely amazing feeling, and Salvatore's characters helped give me the courage to actually try out. The morning before the audition I finished the Icewind Dale Trilogy for the second time, and I strode in confidently, recalling the strengths in even the most unlikely of heroes.
    Salvatore's works have certainly influenced my life for the better - I even have more to talk to my mother about!
  • Options
    callmehawk1callmehawk1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2015
    R A Salvatore's Drizzt novels have been a great influence on my life and how I deal with others. For starters I was introduced to his novels in 1994 by chance, fate, destiny, the will of the gods or however you want to look at it. As soon as I started to read The Legacy I was hooked.

As far as how they've influenced me and my life I have been taught much about friendship and what it means to be a friend. They have shown me that being true to one's self is always the best way and the love and respect you get from people is more genuine because of it. They have helped me to accept people for who they are, all of their greatness and faults. They have shown me the power of a selfless heart and that the actions of a just hero can influence and change things. These books have influenced me and have help mold me into a man I am proud to be. In fact I have bought several copies of these books and passed them on to friends and family, not only because of the great writing and awesome stories in them but more so for the hope I have of them influencing the people I give them to the way they have influenced me
  • Options
    jprdrizztjprdrizzt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    In order to explain how R.A. Salvatore's books have impacted my life I first need to tell you a little about myself. For starters, I have been serving in the United States Air Force for over 16 years. Since my enlistment, I have been flown completely around the globe a total of 4 times and have had the privilege of meeting all kinds of people from varying walks of life. Of course, I have also had the misfortune of being shot at, blown up, and just plain disliked by a lot of people (whom to this day I still believe were simply misguided and to whom I harbor no hard feelings). Through my many years in the military I have been tested by fire in more ways than one. In fact it is only by the unwavering/unyielding faith I hold in my beliefs that am I even still here to talk about it.
    This brings me to the next thing you should know about me, my faith. I spent many (if not most) of my younger years (20's) researching, and learning about all the varies religious beliefs found through out the world. I was attempting to figure out what religion (if any) was most inline with my personal beliefs (in order to validate them, as well as, to bring them more into focus), and was backed by factual (not theoretical) scientific evidence. This exhaustive search has yielded to me invaluable knowledge/insight about the entire world and everything on it. However, I will not go into what I discovered as it is a journey that each of us much embark on for ourselves.
    Another big part of who I am comes from those that are closest to me, my friends and family. I have 5 children (4 daughters, and a son), and an amazing wife. My father was and still is my hero. He is a true bona fide cowboy in every sense of the word. He taught me how to be tough (to get back up when I've been knocked down), how to rope/ride (literally), and how important it is to keep your word (your word is your bond). My mother was the glue that held my entire family together. We moved around a lot as a result of my father being a cowboy, and no matter where we moved my mother always made it feel like home. She taught me the importance of family. Finally there are my many friends. If it wasn't for my friends I never would have read any of R.A. Salvatore's books. Nor would I have been able to relate to so many of the characters within those books. Needless to say, all of my friends/family have helped to mold me into a far better person that I believe I ever could have been without them. They taught me patience, compassion, respect, understanding, forgiveness, and greatest of all "LOVE"!
    Finally, prior to joining the military (and just after high school) I attended college full time while working a full time job. Unfortunately, at the time I just didn't know myself well enough to determine what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. That realization came almost 14 years later (and in case you are wondering, no it has nothing to do with the military). Oh how I envy those lucky few who, at a young age, were granted the gift of knowing who they were, and where they fit in life.
    When I first started reading R.A. Salvatore's "The Dark Elf Trilogy" (which was the very first one I read) I felt like I was looking into a mirror (metaphorically speaking). Like his character "Drizzt" I felt like things just weren't right in my life. Like I wasn't where I needed to be (in mind or body). So as I continued to read certain truths became clear to me. Of course, being in the military at the time (and having signed on the proverbial dotted line) I couldn't just simply leave as Drizzt had done. Though I was able to make certain choices for myself that ultimately changed my life's entire trajectory. I was able to (via a journey not unlike that of Drizzt) discover my true self, and where I fit in life. It was hard at times, and I still have a long way to go (hopefully!), but I wouldn't trade it for the world. That being said, thank you Mr. Salvatore for all the many stories (aka. ideas, truths, life lessons, experiences, ect...) that you have written over the years. Whether you intended to or not you have bolstered my personal beliefs, and have helped to bring clarity into a world that so desperately needs it. Your books may be labeled as fantasy, but they are clearly based on reality.
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer

Yeah, sorry about that. It's not my decision to make. I'll ask the Office Manager tomorrow to see if she can make an exception for this.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    thepieprophet#0940 thepieprophet Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I was first introduced to R.A Salvatore's writing by a couple of friends of mine. They were in my D&D group, and one night they started discussing some of the books, and curious I started asking questions. My friend, Clint, lent me the Dark Elf Trilogy and I started reading and couldn't stop. I got hooked after the first paragraph, and afterwords I was able to join every discussion my two friends had and contribute things of my own. It brought a lot of happiness to my life, and I felt it brought us closer together as friends. But then I had to move away.

After I moved, it was very hard to stay in contact with my friends, but we still had Salvatore's books in common. It was what tied us together across the miles, what held our friendship together, at least for me. A few months ago, I found out that one of those friends, Clint, the one who had first lent me these wonderful books, had died. He was in a marine boot camp, not to be a soldier, but to be a combat journalist. Unfortunately, something went wrong during a live fire drill, and he was killed. It was really hard for me for a while, but I had Salvatore's books to fall back on, the things that tied me and my friend Clint together. These books, this writing, helped me get through one of the most difficult periods of my life, and I will be forever thankful for them, and for Salvatore himself.
  • Options
    cyn15cyn15 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I'd even offer to pay the shipping and insurance to get it to AU
    Guild - Synergy, Australia
    SW - Lanfear, GWF - Krivnaar, OP - K'aathorn, DC - Allegria, CW - Mierin Eronaille
  • Options
    jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    I would guess its the publishers not Cryptic its a issue with where the book will be available and release areas and dates the writer cant be in multiple countries for the launch all at one time so top selling books are done in stages to do the EU is most likely a contractual issue

jhp
  • Options
    quazakaharet#6375 quazakaharet Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    R.A.S. may not have been a soundtrack to my life in any way, that's too overused now a days. but the entirety of the forgotten realms universe gave a boy in school with few friends a way to expand his mind and later connect with others. For the first time, adventures that did not rely on saving a princess. I started back with the halflings gem (yes, the third in the series, but it was a gift from my father, so you start with what your given). this was the introduction of the idea of a woman being strong and independent in story's for me, and made me fall for the renowned Catti-brie quite completely.

Thru the works of R.A.S. and the universe of forgotten realms the creative part of my mind was awoken. I had something to connect with, and once others saw me reading we had something to talk about. It was the gateway to meeting some of the people whom I still know to this day from my high school experience. I found a girl who is strong and independent like Catti-brie, but not too good with a bow (yet ; P). And we have a common bond in literature, trading books back and forth. Without the background from books like these from my younger years, I don't know who I may have become... But I can say, im happy with who I am now.

Thank you,
    -Quazakaharet
  • Options
    xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    I'm from the EU and therefore cannot enter. Darn, but anyway he is one of my favourite authors and I can't stay out of this!

I would like to acknowledge the place that R.A. Salvatore's books have made in my life and book collection (and the adverse effect on my wallet!).
    As a Sci-Fi and fantasy genre fan, I always looked for new and exciting authors. And found The Crystal Shard back in '88 - it was so enjoyable as a heroic (& moral) tale and the characters so vivid it was a real wrench to have to wait for the 2nd in the trilogy. And that has been the pattern ever since, eagerly leaping on the next book out, read in a couple of days and start scanning when the next one is due out.

His books have been a constant background to my life over the last 27 years, and I reread as often as I can (this year from start to current book). It's a familiar and comforting thing to return to and now I have ebooks my copy of the Crystal Shard may survive without finally falling apart!

Friendship, perseverance and sheer stubborn minded refusal to take the easy path. Heroic acts, deaths, rebirths and cities falling - who couldn't love that? And want that level of interaction and love between friends in their own lives?
    Characters other than the main ones whose motives are clear (if not altogether good or even neutral) and feel a vital cog in the world around them. Oh, and Dark Elves in all their twisted glory - superb.

My world of entertainment and imagination has been vastly enriched by his books, enough that I have attempted my own writings and poetry - salute and thank you.
  • Options
    csnonicsnoni Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    RA Salvatore has been a huge contribution to gaming and writing in the fantasy world that I know and love today. The Icewind Dale Books rocked. The Drizzt Do'Urden concept has outshined other heroes of the D&D world for years now and I have to first acknowledge that. But, I was introduced to RA Salvatore, when I got through reading Michael Moorcock's Elric series and Terry Brook's Sword of Shanarra, by way of his Crimson Shadow book: The Sword of Bedwyr. I am a little too old to say that Salvator's work brought me through my hard times in my youth. It was Moorcock, CJ Cheryy, Tolkien, Edgar Rice Burrough, and some others. But his work helped carry me on as I progressed to get my Bachelor's degree in creative writing and start writing my own works of fantasy. It was his crowning achievements of the forgotten realms that have given me an assist in pushing me to do anything about the creativity that had been instilled in me so long ago. And it is good to see so many others on here that still game in the forgotten realms and still imagine how awesome it would be to be a man/woman cut from the same cloth as the characters developed from such amazing authors as RA Salvator. The best to all!
  • Options
    csrturtle1csrturtle1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Before I started reading Salvatore's books I was never really into fantasy things or reading period. My dad has always been a big fan of R.A. Salvatore's books. I had always seen my dad reading Salvatore's books and wondering what was so interesting about them. My dad has always told me how good Salvatore's books were but I never believed him until I started reading them. They have influenced my life since then. R.A. Salvatore's books have helped me expand my horizon with things in life. The books have helped gain a perspective on who a true friend is and making good decisions on who should and shouldn't be a friend of mine. They also showed me be a humble person and accept people just the way they are. Also the books have taught me how to be a better person to people I love and deeply care about and to fight for them.
    I am still in the process of reading all of his books. I started reading them at the end of last year. Like I said I never was into reading before reading the few books I have of Salvatore's. But the few I have read have influenced my life and I hope the more I read the they influence my life. I am so grateful that my dad had introduced me to these books and for R.A. Salvatore writing such wonderful books.
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Ok guys, if i may add my 2 cents for my fellow European players!

1.The Customs Duty on books from the USA to most European countries is 0%. Since each country can have different taxes i would advise to check for the TARIC information, there one can find more detailed information, it varies on a broad range. VAT is the lowest for books! (International agreements)

2. They can see if their costs are better, if sent directly to the recipient or to an EU HQ.

3. I would also advise to post it as "Gift".

Best advise, check TARIC and you can keep costs nearly as low as you would send it to a US citizen.

Sorry that's all i could say from my location.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    quidjiboquidjibo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    How have R.A. Salvatore's stories influenced my own life, what a question. First of all, I love his writing style. He has an easy to read and comprehend mechanic mixed with deep and intertwined story arcs that make for a quick read at any time while still getting quality story. This has been very important to me as in the military I spent a good bit of time deployed and his books were the perfect filler to get away during what little free time I've had without having to think too hard.

Then his introspection sections at the beginning of chapters/sections from the viewpoint of Drizzt are unexpectedly philosophical and thought provoking. Not many books I can think of about elves and dwarves have made me step back and think about who I am and what I want to be.

Finally, his characters and their personalities. The range of his characters, from the main companions, to the stereotypical Dward Thibbledorf and the anti-stereotypical Pikel and everyone else in between has inspired me to attempt to write my own tales. I have a rough outline of my story and characters and while I've avoided outright copying the works of R.A., I've pulled some of the broader ideas about breaking characters out of their shells and having them be unexpected to hopefully help me write my own tale.
  • Options
    drayden1419drayden1419 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Well I will be totally honest when I say I haven't read as much of Salvatore's books as I should have, I have plenty of them around me so that I could, however I was inspired nonetheless like any other fan. The adventures of the Companions of the Hall has always been one of my favorite tales, the members are some of my favorite characters, such as Bruenor. The focus may have been Drizzt Do'Urden but I have always found myself more entranced with the character Bruenor. A strong stalwart warrior who in the face of powerful enemies and immeasurable numbers never backed down or retreated and became a king in his twilight years who yearned for the adventures of his youth. A loyal and just friend to all he cared for in his lifetime. My favorite character and my source of inspiration from Salvatore's novels which has me thinking of my own characters and wanting them to be the same.

I've always dreamed of being a writer since I was young; I would dream and think of characters in my head and write them on paper, however they never stuck out to me. I read novels to find inspiration; many characters have stood out and left an impression on my mind, but none more so than Bruenor Battlehammer of Mithral Hall. After reading one of Salvatore's novels (mind it was my first novel from Forgotten Realms) I found traits that I wanted my own characters to have and myself to have in life. Passion, loyalty, faith in self and others, these are the traits I admired most and I have found that my characters in these times take after Bruenor quite a bit. For example my latest character Eric who spends most of his time playing games and staying inside for most of his life: has found people he cares for and will stand by them no matter what befalls himself. I've found a new passion for my work and now have my own want and courage to have my work become a reality, and I owe it to R.A. Salvatore.
  • Options
    sikkmadejuggalosikkmadejuggalo Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    How have the tales of Drizzt and the Companions of the Hall inspired my life… Honestly, I got a little emotional when I read the question. I’m 36 now, and my folks bought me copies of “The Legacy” and “Starless Night” somewhere between the ages of 8 and 10, I wanna say. I didn’t read much back then, and those two treasures sat on the desk in the corner of the room collecting dust for many moons. When they weren’t in boxes, that is. See, growing up the son of an Air Force man, we moved around a lot. I’ve never lived in one state or country for more than five years consecutively; the average, though, is three years. I guess that makes me something of a nomad…
    As the sons of military men are want to do, I enlisted about a year out of high school. As I soon discovered, life as an Infantryman in the Army was much different than that of a Mechanic in the Air Force. When my unit deployed to Bosnia-Herzegovina in ’00-’01, I brought my copies of “The Legacy” and “Starless Nights” with me. On those occasions when we would have a little down time, a few of my fellow soldiers and I would meet up and play D&D. One such evening, the books I had tucked away were brought up in conversation. Marsoleck not only urged me to read them, but also gifted me a copy of “The Halflings Gem.” Naturally, I finally gave them a read.
    When I returned from Bosnia-Herzegovina, I deployed to South Korea for a year. Afterwards, I was assigned to Ft. Benning, Ga. It was when I arrived at Ft. Benning when I began buying one of the collectors’ volumes of Drizzts’ tales each month, as well as “The Cleric’s Quintet.” I devoured them as quickly as I brought them home, burning through each entire collectors’ tome in three days. Afterwards, they would get filed away on the shelves to collect dust once more.
    It wasn’t until after the Army, (when I found myself sitting in a world I didn’t recognize or understand anymore) that I found myself desiring a new book to read, but no money to buy one. My wife looked at me and said, “You should reread an old book.” I gave her a look like she had a hole in her lip that was leaking something I couldn’t identify. “Why would I wanna do that?” I asked her incredulously. She simply returned the look coupled with a sly smile and went on with her day. After stewing for a while, I grudgingly picked up my copy of “The Dark Elf Trilogy” and cracked her open, taking care not to allow the cobwebs to fall into my coffee. The spirit invaded my body and took up residence; I read urgently until I finished the book, and went right into “The Icewind Dale” Trilogy. I kept reading, day after day, all the way up to “The Two Swords” (as it was the newest at the time). I had to go purchase that one in order to continue reading. I laughed. I cried. I could hear the ring of steel on steel and taste the coppery blood and smell the musty air and mushroom spores of the Underdark and see the battles raging in my mind’s eye… But most of all, I could relate.
    I can relate to the pain Drizzt must have felt growing up in an abusive home with those few beacons of hope to let him know his conscious was guiding him on the right path. I can relate to the frustrations of being a stranger and an outsider in a foreign land (unable to even speak the language) and the feeling of not having a place in the world; that forever quest to find home. I can relate to the turmoil and rage Wulfgar experienced upon his return from the Abyss. And to the solace he found in the bottom of a bottle. And to the struggle to climb out of that bottle. And to the sense of victory when you realize you cannot climb out, but must break the bottle. I can also relate to how those trials and tribulations can be positively overwhelmed by the sheer power of the bond between men and women that are united not just in mind, but in heart; family and blood are not synonymous. If these tales have inspired anything in me, it is to keep going. Especially when the odds are stacked against you. If not for them, I probably wouldn’t be here to write this. Thanks, Mr. Salvatore.
    Post edited by sikkmadejuggalo on
This discussion has been closed.