test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Player Housing Request Thread!

1235»

Comments

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    dionchi said:

I'm of the opinion that player housing is pretty much a dead deal... if the developers had ever seriously considered something like this they probably would have said something about their intentions in the nearly 4 years this thread has been around...

Don't be discouraged! For years people said PVP was dead and, lo and behold, they're giving us (a) new map(s) and trying to breathe life into it. Too little, too late? Time will tell.

But in 2-3 years they may get around to looking at player housing too.
    dionchi said:

Secondly why would anyone (other than the developers) be posting anything about why they think player housing would be a bad idea for the game... not even a bad idea per-se (apparently without the hyphen it is a dirty word according to the auto-check), but just an idea they don't personally happen to agree with? Why post anything at all if it isn't going to effect the person or their playstyle in the slightest? I don't recall anyone posting anything about Neverwinter "requiring" player housing for all players

Why do people who don't play barbs go in those threads and complain about the class?
    Why do low level players complain about endgame content they can't get into?
    Why do people that don't open lockboxes complain that too many lockboxes drop in game?
    Why do people who don't join guilds complain that they don't get guild benefits?

Because it's their right to express their opinion and when there's a thread about a subject it's open to everyone's viewpoint. This isn't the "Player Housing Lovers Club" where only people who like the idea can express that.

Maybe they think the game has more important issues (i sure do).

With that said, could care less because as they've shown, time and time again, any new system they implement (strongholds, workshop, etc) will be broken and end up ignored for ages.

• nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    Housing would be a great addition to the game because fashion and store reasons.

It could be created as a personal instance like the Workshop, and in a future add the possibility to invite people to come in.

As for storage reasons, I would add a fast travel point like the workshop, but I would NOT add a remote storage access. That would alleviate the need to modify the Summon Banking Portal. Moreover, I would not limit the storage to any amount, except if there is a physical or logical constraint that forces to limit it, and allow the players to freely buy more housing storage slots a the zen store.

About if housing should be per account or per character I do have mixed feelings.
    On one hand, per character would allow you to customize the aspect and decorations for every character.
    On the other hand, per account makes sense too because, do I really want to customize every character house?
    A third option would be that housing aspect and decorations is per character and housing storage is per account.
    A fourth option would be that there are per account and character aspect and decorations, and storage (like current bank but only accessible from inside housing).

Personally I prefer the third option, being the second one my second choice.
  • planestrider#4331 planestrider Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I'd like individual housing without sinking a lot of effort into "building" a house which basically no character can really do, but with personal prefs. E.g. could house doors in the city be on sale (the house behind being initially one storey, which can be added onto); for example, I'd love to buy / quest for a house in Blacklake. Or a tent in the (fey)wilds, around which later on, more shrubs can be cut for more space; a ship could be upgraded from empty hull to fully furnished, etc.

As for interiors, what comes to my mind is that finding stuff during adventures is so much better for many than the need to craft it, so maybe one could find plans for furniture, buy (gold! since this is common people stuff, not adventurer's gear) or craft them and place them inside the house, likely in fixed positions like workshop additions.
    Once a bookshelf is in there, it would be great if it fills according to the lore, of course not every entry having a single book; but with some connection there, some sort of personal achievement for exploration.
    There could be gameplay connections with mounts and companions through stables and additional quarters, as well as additional storage which is none: Items could be converted into decoration and thus not block inventory space for sentimental reasons. They can now only be used in the house.
    Crafting gets also more interesting if the housing is in need of being restored over time. Eventually, there's a need to craft lumber, boards, nails etc.

In my opionion, housing should not come cheap - least of all in means of story / questing. E.g. for Neverwinter city housing, certain quests need to be finished; for something in Sharandar, an endgame campaign task; that sort of thing. It's difficult to balance I guess, but adds a lot of reward and grants new importance to old campaigns. Also I guess it's okay if some homes are unjustly difficult in the effort they need. Compare TES Oblivion: Hut in the slums, one room, 2000 gold (which some prefer for roleplay reasons). Estate in Skingrad, three storys plus cellar, 250k or something. And that's only the house. (Of course, their gold cannot be compared with the amounts needed in Neverwinter, but maybe it's actually useful to add more worth to "priceless platinum bowls" :)
  • nightelven#9514 nightelven Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    A Game called "Moonlight Online" had a world for all toons individually with a lake... plenty of room to build from castles to windmills ...that was the best game!!! shame scammers / hackers ended it :(
  • molchar#7365 molchar Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    As long as the housing is a fun extra feature and not some resource grind (like rent. Working for items inside is OK by me).

Adding interesting features like this will make the game more well-rounded. Just don't add any REQUIRED resource grinds.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User

As long as the housing is a fun extra feature and not some resource grind (like rent. Working for items inside is OK by me).

Adding interesting features like this will make the game more well-rounded. Just don't add any REQUIRED resource grinds.

Kind of like saying "I want a house but don't want to pay taxes or have the expense of maintenance" isn't it? Even when someone resides in an abode they don't personally own the occupant has to spend something to continue to remain there... at least that's always been my experience.

I agree player housing sounds like a good idea, but I also think it should be able to be improved and refined just like a guild stronghold... If a player thinks four walls and a roof is all they need for housing then they can spend the Zen or AD's to buy a barebones structure that may disintegrate after a time, that's their choice...

However if a player wants a structure they can maintain, improve and decorate - even if it means committing to yet another grind - that too should be a player's choice. I kind of doubt anyone will force players to buy personal housing, improve and maintain it if they don't want to.

But then I also believe if there hasn't even been what amounts to a hint of interest in player housing from developers after 4 years, I'm still not optimistic we'll ever see it in reality.
    DD~
  • aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    dionchi said:

I agree player housing sounds like a good idea, but I also think it should be able to be improved and refined just like a guild stronghold... If a player thinks four walls and a roof is all they need for housing then they can spend the Zen or AD's to buy a barebones structure that may disintegrate after a time, that's their choice...

However if a player wants a structure they can maintain, improve and decorate - even if it means committing to yet another grind - that too should be a player's choice. I kind of doubt anyone will force players to buy personal housing, improve and maintain it if they don't want to.

That's actually the last thing I want. I'd want a house near a lake, forest and mountains... Every few months they could upgrade the area with new monsters, fish, stronghold resources, profession resources. Indoors can still be a thing of course. Kind of like an extension of the stronghold.
    dionchi said:

But then I also believe if there hasn't even been what amounts to a hint of interest in player housing from developers after 4 years, I'm still not optimistic we'll ever see it in reality.

If they want to disrupt the cycle of only having one major mod every year or so it doesn't seem to be a bad solution. What they need is a map (or maybe reuse the summer festival map), an indoors area and some ideas on how to bring it to life and add some meaningful content even for people who are not into simple housing like actual content like hunts and monsters or incorporating the workshop into it.

• polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    hello

may be a bug, maybe not
    1)

Cant collect boons of new campaign for second character. on my main i finished story line, open'd dungeon. but on my twin i can't even get a kea for Citadel. and booms still cosed.

2) Can't buy an 1250 items from Citadel in campaign windom for my other characters. No slot "I want look for other class equipment."
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• luthor#3134 luthor Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Make Guild Strongholds customizable.
  • omega2764omega2764 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Some thoughts from a designer, playtester, and player viewpoint across a few different games, MMO and non.

1: Housing could work like the stronghold hall does. Fixed furniture locations. This seems simplest. Even better if can use stronghold decorations for player homes. This would give some limited incentive to mastercraft decorations too.

2: Keep it relatively simple and if possible use the code for the guildhall as this works. Its not optimal. But it gets the job done.

3: Do like in Champions and offer some different types of home frames as it were. Normal house, castle/keep, ship, airship, spelljammer, cloud home etc.

X: Id love to see some sort of stable or pasture where one or more mounts could be allowed to roam about. And maybe places in the player home where companions could be assigned places to stand or areas to roam rather than at the players side. Or even just the option to add NPCs to the home. Servants and so on.
  • maturutukimaturutuki Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    0. Lore: As Neverwinter's guards took over smuggled magicial-dimensional wood, lord Neverember gives his old promised reward as private mini-dimension house.
    0.1. Bonus unique home items/frame for keeping Neverember promise note.
    1. Start with one possible frame for housing. (or two, with second as bonus from note)
    1.1. Allow to enter here from guild hall doors (inside), inns and world map.
    2. Add SH hall items possible to put inside.
    3. Add Thrones, Vanity pets and companions possible to put inside.
    4. Add Bank, Mailbox, combat mannequin and teleport to Workshop inside, maybe with small questing required.
    5. Add Wardrobe for appearance loadouts.
    6. Add mannequin/s to put appearance on him and switchable to current character appearance.
    7. Create weapon hanger item and allow to put him in picture slots. (player can put weapons here)
    8. Create similar hanger for fish.
    9. Increase possible house frames/rooms.
  • magneticmoosemagneticmoose Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Why not just allow players to decorate their Workshops? Seems like an easy solution.
  • truthbinder#1932 truthbinder Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I mean this is a given. It's been years and years in this game and still we do not have player housing. We have guild housing I in a way but not individual housing. MMOs that are successful has this feature included. Sure mostly it vanity but that is the point for those that spend a great majority of thier time playing.

If you want kinda base it off of ESO version. Be able to own a home in a certain area. If not for the sake of the players do it for the sake of the company because it will make you a rediculous amount of dough.
  • redjackal#4019 redjackal Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Player housing? What? Is this the Sims?
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

Player housing? What? Is this the Sims?

It's a role playing game (mmorpg) not CoD.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • symphonia#1951 symphonia Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    I would like player housing. My other MMRPGs had them and I miss it. They were fun to decorate and artisans could make furniture and decorations. It would be nice if it had a door in PE to actually go through rather than porting to it.
  • maxzius#3795 maxzius Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    I honestly can't believe that player housing isn't in this game. It's a huge miss on potential cash for the company.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    this feature would be nice if we only could afford it by buying it from zen store
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    They've recently removed a lot, they're not going to add player housing unfortunately. Its something else that they'd have to have the space to remember 5k+ player's houses (more if its not account-wide house but character specific).. If anything they should just update strongholds or workshops to provide this want as it'd be easier and many have wanted stronghold updates for years. But they still have too much abandoned content that this won't happen.
  • boxcarr#8087 boxcarr Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    👍
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I honestly can't believe that player housing isn't in this game. It's a huge miss on potential cash for the company.

Yup = been saying this for years. Really. Big. Money maker.

Long term players are cryign out for new stuff to do. And new players will almost expect/want soemthing liek their own house to aim for.
  • skulbukol#9415 skulbukol Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    The company has no plans for housing, ever. If they did, this mod should have been a good time to introduce it since there's no campaign.

Prolly the reason is lack of resources such as server, devs and money.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    I hate Necro'ing but Devs want all the player housing here...

With the River District reclaimed, and most of Neverwinter's attention focused outward the past few years, I think a section of the city was set aside for the Heroes of Neverwinter, at first just small studios, but eventually our heroes will be able to purchase houses, mansions, and even villas for Astral Diamonds.

For the first part, the studios, this would be a small personal instance setup much like the workshop, but with decoration hooks that players can hang up trophies, place furniture, and otherwise customize to their liking. These areas will be free once they have completed specific story points, whenever makes sense.

With this first update:
    -Vender with very basic furniture, class banners, Neverwinter banner, and basic wallpaper/rugs
    -Players can craft more complex furniture and some trophies (requiring a boss drop)
    -Some bosses will drop an item needed for a player craft (like Black Ice gem that can be sculpted into a beholder table deco from Akar Kessel), or a completed decoration (like Dragon head mounting from an Ancient Dragon)

Goal: setup the foundations of a future more public housing area, add more chase items to various locations and queues, give the players a sense of belonging to the city of Neverwinter.

Second Update:
    -This of course will depend on the limits of the system and resources that the devs can produce.
    -allow friends to visit each other's studios via teleportation
    -More decorations and crafts
    -Some form of public or semi-public housing area for players to visit and those who have deep enough pockets, can purchase various sized houses.
    -2 levels of housing; House-a bit larger than the studio with more decoration hooks, customizable exterior- 1mil AD minimum bid with 100k AD monthly maintenance fee, most of the housing area will be this size
    Mansion-Larger than the house, second story added, larger exterior area for outside deco. -5 mil AD minimum bid with 500k monthly maintenance fee, roughly 15% of the housing area
    -Players can sell their homes if they decide they no longer want one.
    -Weekly Auctions for empty homes or homes that failed to upkeep the maintenance fees.
    Goal: providing the main public housing features and fleshing out the system. Allow for more AD sinks.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Third Update:
    -Villa-Larger interior than the Mansion with the ability to have a customizable courtyard, garden maze, or similar outside area with special vendors that unlock based on neighborhood quests and activity. -HUGE bidding is expended where those that wish to drop some serious dough can compete. Only 1 per "neighborhood" Has some Maintenance fee higher than that of the Mansion
    -Have activities and quests that players in a housing group can participate in to keep a certain level of activity to unlock special vendor with unique decorations or themed furniture
    -Last finishing touches to the system overall

Goal: Ties everything together in a system that allows the community build a virtual community that can change as players come and go. As new content come into the game, more decorations can be added.
  • How is it that a thread about player housing was started in 2015 yet there has been no movement on this in 7 years? Anyway, I just want to say that player housing doesn't have to be elaborate, it could be as simple as an update to the workshop area that allows for some customization and interaction (chairs, beds, eating/drinking, etc.).
    Member of the Barbarian Tank anti-extinction squad.