test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Buyback Programs

theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
With the value of enchantments, greater marks of potency, and other items fluctuating wildly due to changes in fixed prices and rules, perhaps it's time for NWO to consider the value of buyback programs.

A buyback program is essentially what it sounds like: players are able to exchange certain specific enchantments for other resources that are of equal(ish) value prior to a given rules change. For instance, GMOPs could be exchanged for 75,000 AD each (since high level VIPers can get them for that cost), up until the final price gets reduced (at which point obviously the exchange would NOT be viable, because hello infinite AD, which is not the intention). If at some point in the future, certain armor enchantments were to be nerfed, Cryptic could offer a buyback program in which players could trade the enchantment for another enchantment of the same tier (lesser, greater, etc).

Maintaining game balance is the purpose to rules changes, but it's definitely true that volatility of asset prices adds uncertainty to the market. Buyback programs allow for players to swallow changes without too much angsting.

For whatever it's worth, no, I don't have a truckload of GMOPs I want to be refunded for.

Comments

• azaris#6648 azaris Member Posts: 64 Arc User

For whatever it's worth, no, I don't have a truckload of GMOPs I want to be refunded for.

Sure you don't. Why else would you care? And this will never happen. They're trying to get ride of AD, not add more.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Sure. In fact, I don't even think they should here. But I was looking over some forums regarding nerfs to some armor enchants the other day and I thought "you know, why don't they just have a buyback program." And then I saw a lot of grumbling here, and I was like "ahh, it could work here too I guess."

I feel like "ha ha, we're in ur inventory lowerin' your asset prices" is a bit of a backhanded approach to managing the economy but, to be fair-

-why the heck would anyone stock up on GMOPs anyway?
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Given the way Cryptic nerfs things without warning and often without notice at all, I think it's a resonable idea. Dragonhoards should be eligible, for instance. People spent good money/effort on them, and now the do not work as expected. They should be replaceable.

-why the heck would anyone stock up on GMOPs anyway?

Don't some people use them for currency in trades because they are, um, stable in value? xD
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    The devs are unlikely to introduce a program that will introduce even more AD back into the game. What they could do is to, for a limited time, offer to exchange unbound marks into an equivalent number of the same type at the new price, but as bound. So for instance, you could exchange 1 unbound mark of potency for 4 bound ones...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    I totally agree that GMOPs in inventory prior to this announcement should be upgraded or compensated for in AD. The cat's out of the bag now. If they were to do that, people would start stacking up now. I'm quite certain they didn't have the foresight to plan for how this would hit players with GMOPs on hand, so it's too late now.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • cesukecesuke Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    Well men this is a dream... I would be happy if they when that patch come live they make all enchants +1 rank... That would compensate all players that spend time and money prior
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    hahahahaha dont be a holder learn basic economy and be smart!
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    The main reason people hold and trade with GMOPs is to circumvent the AH 10% cut. Otherwise GMOP is terrible to use as a currency because you can only deal in increments of 100K AD. Now they pay the price with this haircut. Keep dreaming for a bailout, will never happen. Just unload for what you can get for them in the AH. It will only get worst with each passing day till the next patch.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    I strongly disagree about compensating people for previously purchased GMoPs.

I'm affected by the change: like many others I made good use of dbl-RP weekend, and upgraded 3 artifacts to legendary, perfect terror to pure terror, lots of rank 8s and 9s. I even have a couple GMoPs left over in my shared bank from buying a small stack off the AH.

But I bought those GMoPs with AD that was at least partly from leadership, so it was inflated currency. Going forward, I estimate my income will be cut by 50-70%, so having GMoP prices cut by 75 - 50% works out for me.

And as for people who have a big stash of GMoPs they were using for trade, I have no sympathy. Doing that was going around the AH and expected gameplay, as surely as when lockbox keys were unbound.
    Well, there's no reason to HOLD GMOPs because the price is steady. Just buy them when you need them for trade or whatever. Pretty silly IMO.

Like I said, a much better case can be made for the armor/weapon/utility enchants than for the GMOPs, but the GMOP is the "current" case.
    edited September 2015
  • nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    It's best to short these items right now -- sell them on the AH for just under the lowest price seen, then buy back later. If you get more than 25K + 10% AH cut, you'll come out ahead. GMOPs will be 25K "soon" and with the VIP discount, probably 21-22K. You have a bad investment, and you know more than anyone buying for over 25K.
    edited September 2015
    nathanjm said:

It's best to short these items right now -- sell them on the AH for just under the lowest price seen, then buy back later. If you get more than 25K + 10% AH cut, you'll come out ahead. GMOPs will be 25K "soon" and with the VIP discount, probably 21-22K. You have a bad investment, and you know more than anyone buying for over 25K.

LOL you can't borrow someones GMOP to sell. With the 10% fee and a clear downward trend, doesn't look like the odds are with you if you buy back. Best to sell and don't look back. Also with the GMOP no longer being the top tier mark, the GMOP has a risk of eventually pricing like the blue MOPs, way below the WB price of 25K. GMOP holders may risk another 50% haircut for being stubborn and trying to eek out every little bit of AD they can now. GMOPs are still going for 60K AD in the AH. What fools are buying them now?
    edited September 2015
    Impatient people, I assume.

Actually, scratch that. there's 0 cost to listing items, so there's no reason NOT to put them at higher rates. You can just keep lowering the price gradually, or ultimately end up using them.
  • aeragar47aeragar47 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    Actually, if you have an item that is R11 --> R12, it's actually cheaper to buy the cheap GMOPS now and upgrade now than wait to pay 100k for SMOPs after the patch to upgrade then.
    Because the price of GMOPs has fallen so much due to the knowledge that prices will continue to fall to be in line with new price levels, yeah.
  • jjetcomaqqqjjetcomaqqq Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    null
    Going around the ah is not playing as expected..lol are you <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>...why do you think a trade channel exists
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

null

Going around the ah is not playing as expected..lol are you HAMSTER...why do you think a trade channel exists

The trade channel is for trading one item for another, not for trading one item for a type of currency. Using GMOPs in that trade, while not against any rules, is bypassing the AH cut by using a different currency (Coal Wards before GMOPs, Keys before wards....). They obviously don't want people bypassing their AD sinks, so some type of change was inevitable. I'm actually surprised they didn't immediately make MoP's bound.

Everyone using this pseudo-currency knew it was probably a bad idea and they knew why they were doing it.
  • deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    Don't heavily invest into anything! You're asking for sorrow and QQ.
    Item/class/skill buffs/nerfs have been around since I've been playing. Just never this intense.
    There is always influx and there is always a mod around the corner to wipe out everything else if the interim nerfs didn't get it.
  • davejustdavedavejustdave Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    And, as ever, there was a much simpler and more obvious solution. Simply allow players to trade AD directly but impose the same 10% tax on it. Then it does not matter how the trades are done, the "taxman" still gets his cut.

With the new changes the "grey market" trading just became easier as we now have two different value coins to use: SMoPs and GMoPs. So players will continue to trade that way but they will adjust for the new values and perhaps learn not to hoard as many. I don't consider there to be any problem with it either. Players are trading stuff for other stuff at a prices they are both happy with.

As for buybacks, good luck with that. I can't see it ever happening. Prices change in these games. I hung onto several sets of T2 armour for ages. Then along came Mod 5 and the value plummeted to pretty much the salvage value. It happens, you move on.
    True true. I avoid hoarding goods in general for that very reason. Especially GMOPs; since you can literally buy them instantly, there's 0 reason to ever carry any.
  • wyckedstudioswyckedstudios Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    I don't see a buyback ever happening....but if it did, how about starting with Heroes, Adventurers and Men-At-Arms?
    A program to allow exchanging Leadership assets for non-leadership profession assets would be reasonable, ya.

"Adventurer Retirement program" they could call it.
    GMOPs are selling for around 75K AD on AH now which is pretty good. The price is being propped up by people refining R10 and R11 enchants as they still save a bit at this price point. GMOP holders would be smart to unload now rather than risk a stampede for the exit Wed night.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    75K is not a good deal. 75K x 5 = 375K
    The SMOP will be 85K in AH (like GMoP before). 85K x 4 = 340K.

However, if someone wants to pay 75K AD now, yes, the GMoP holders should unload them now.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

75K is not a good deal. 75K x 5 = 375K
    The SMOP will be 85K in AH (like GMoP before). 85K x 4 = 340K.

However, if someone wants to pay 75K AD now, yes, the GMoP holders should unload them now.

Except the GMOP has been trading around 50k at times.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    If you wanted to make a real buy back we want:

Buy back the zen out of NW and drop it to arc account so we can use it in a game we might actually like instead of this frustration-fest. I'm more than ready to play some other game and just dump this POS, but doing so would lose my current zen balance or all the others I've dumped in (wasted).

Just let my zen balance leave NW for another game, all that I've wasted so far will be chalked up as a lesson learned and I can move on. >.<
    I'd only recommend they allow that if they were to take down the ZAX. They don't want people using NWO currency to defund their other projects.