test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Astral Diamond Changes

Comments

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    Interesting post here... Well I actually think this is a healthy move for he game as a whole, while many players and many of my guildies are frustrated about the lack of ability to earn AD now, I think this HOPEFULLY will be something we look back on and say it was the right call.

Now, as someone posted something does need to be done to address the fixed prices of things because while supply/demand can meet so many things in game, it cant overcome the HUGE costs that are fixed: mainly GMOPs and Coal Wards.

I had a thought while chewing on this. Rather than looking at all the prices. Here are TWO changes that I would propose you (DEVs) consider.

1) Make artifacts and artifact equipment account bound.
    - The costs for making these things are astronomical. While players can eventually get these things leveled up on a main character, the thought of having an alt just makes me shudder. I remember the days of module 0 and module 1. The game was MUCH more alt friendly. I remember logging online and my guild needed HAMSTER class for a run. Well, that wasnt my main, but I did have an alt. I swapped over my enchants and off we go! It was only until modules 2 and 3 that it became too expensive for me to play more than one character and NOW its even worse with 4 pieces of artifact equipment and FOUR artifacts?!

Making artifact gear and artifacts bound to account would allow players to have more options in playing. Think about it, weapons wouldnt xfer since most likely its a different class. So its only the neck/belt and artifacts. But you still have gear and boons which are massively important for the player. We can already swap enchants over for gold, but allowing us to swap artifacts and artifact equipment would allow many players to have much more fun playing the game and not feel so stuck on ONE character.

With the reduction of AD earned, this would be a VERY nice benefit to the players and make investing in these things much more worthwhile.

2) Revisit the cost of enchants. For this I only mean ONE small "change".
    Currently say you have a rank 7 and are trying to get a rank 8. Well you need RP, 1x Greater Mark of Potency (fixed) and then ANOTHER rank 7 to have a CHANCE to upgrade to rank 8. Then once rank 8, you need ANOTHER rank 8, RP, 2xGMOPs(fixed) and wards for a CHANCE at rank 9!

So what I propose as a result of this AD change, rather than needing 2x an enchant. Make it require the enchant BELOW the current one.

So for a rank 7 -> rank 8 you would use RP into the rank 7, get a rank SIX(6) enchant + a GMOP and have a chance to upgrade.
    For a rank 8 -> rank 9 you would take your current rank 8, use RP, and then rather than needing a duplicate rank8, you would now only need a rank 7 as a "requirement" for the next rank.

Then fast forward to rank 10. To get a rank 10 you would need a rank 9 fully refined, and then a rank 8 enchant along with 2 GMOPs for the chance to upgrade.

This doesnt completely remove the costs, but it does lessen some of the expenses for enchants and upgrading.

These are the two changes I would suggest you visit. In the end it reduces the "fixed costs" for players in the key areas of progression without making it too "free"
    #1 doesnt make it cheaper, but it does make it "cheaper" to play multiple characters - which would promote your system of earning AD in game.
    #2 does decrease costs of enchants

Please consider these two changes
  • Options
    vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    goatshark said:

We’re going to be making a number of changes, all of which should increase the amount of AD most players earn in a given day.

Will there be a change to the 24K refinement limit per day? Once someone reaches that cap (through salvaging or via quests) what incentive will there be for that character to continue playing the game? One needs AD to progress a character. If by only playing on the one character (and there will be no other sources of income via other methods), there will be no other method to progress.

I have to say I'm very disappointed with this move. Every time Cryptic tries to address botting, it impacts on players that have invested time and or money in this game via Leadership. There is a limit to what your playerbase will take Cryptic, and I strongly encourge you to seek counsel from the players before making moves like this.

I give this a strong thumbs down.
    Post edited by vordayn on
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • Options
    dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    meanwhile gmops are 100k in the bazaar coal wards are still 500+k , and the 1st tier weapon/armor chant still has a 1% success rate.

lets just call this what it is a cash grab.
  • Options
    golkaxgolkax Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I think the biggest problem with all this is the limit on daily AD and the harsh decline for doing further dungeons.

I don't understand the rAD 24k limit and the reason for these new daily restrictions. This seems to encourage players NOT to play after they've reached the limit or create other toons once the first two dungeons have been done just to get another measly 6k.

Ok let's say I want to buy a Lostmauth's blasting horn. This costs 1.5 million AD. It would take a little over 78 days to get enough AD to do this with one character. 4 days to get one Greater Mark of Power with the VIP discount and 5 without. I don't think that's reasonable.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    This will certainly make pvp even worst. Fight a premade while being stuck with 3-4 bots.....

You'd have to be a fool to think this won't happen either. The only reason now botters aren't flooding pvp is because they're sustained now. But they'll want that extra 3k after this and drown pvp with 1 of their 40 bots per account, all day and all night.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    ayroux said:

These are the two changes I would suggest you visit. In the end it reduces the "fixed costs" for players in the key areas of progression without making it too "free"
    #1 doesnt make it cheaper, but it does make it "cheaper" to play multiple characters - which would promote your system of earning AD in game.
    #2 does decrease costs of enchants

Please consider these two changes

While I removed the wall of text just to keep this comment short and sweet, I can 100% agree with everything that Ayroux just said. Please devs, consider these changes.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I like this fix for the long run. And most people who have leadership armies will already have made returns by now, and will likely have alot more AD invested on their toons than others (in sellable assets like enchants.)

However, if this is going to happen, the game needs to bring back trade, like the older days. Make some types of epic gear drop and make it sellable, you have unique skins tied to some of the dungeons already. just make some rare drops available to open up trade again, without many alternatives to generating AD, the game will get very dull for some people.

As a player who has been around (on and off) since beta. I have to say the time this game was most fun was when people ran dungeons (like FH, dwarf king, CN) to acquire loot to sell on the trade. Since the changes with artifact weapons and the removal of BoE epics, it has become very stale.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    ayroux said:

Interesting post here...

(snip...)

2) Revisit the cost of enchants. For this I only mean ONE small "change".
    Currently say you have a rank 7 and are trying to get a rank 8. Well you need RP, 1x Greater Mark of Potency (fixed) and then ANOTHER rank 7 to have a CHANCE to upgrade to rank 8. Then once rank 8, you need ANOTHER rank 8, RP, 2xGMOPs(fixed) and wards for a CHANCE at rank 9!

So what I propose as a result of this AD change, rather than needing 2x an enchant. Make it require the enchant BELOW the current one.

So for a rank 7 -> rank 8 you would use RP into the rank 7, get a rank SIX(6) enchant + a GMOP and have a chance to upgrade.
    For a rank 8 -> rank 9 you would take your current rank 8, use RP, and then rather than needing a duplicate rank8, you would now only need a rank 7 as a "requirement" for the next rank.

Then fast forward to rank 10. To get a rank 10 you would need a rank 9 fully refined, and then a rank 8 enchant along with 2 GMOPs for the chance to upgrade.

Actually, IMO, would be much better if they simply removed the need of another echantment of the same rank to upgrade, just like its currently with levels 10~11 and 11~12.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    golkax said:

I think the biggest problem with all this is the limit on daily AD and the harsh decline for doing further dungeons.

I don't understand the rAD 24k limit and the reason for these new daily restrictions. This seems to encourage players NOT to play after they've reached the limit or create other toons once the first two dungeons have been done just to get another measly 6k.

Ok let's say I want to buy a Lostmauth's blasting horn. This costs 1.5 million AD. It would take a little over 78 days to get enough AD to do this with one character. 4 days to get one Greater Mark of Power with the VIP discount and 5 without. I don't think that's reasonable.

And then they nerf it.

All these people saying they'd be okay with losing their investment on it are probably going to do a 180 when 1.5 million AD takes over two months to get.

I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User

never said i had an army i said that the little ad i make from leadership on 3 toons is not enough to buy anything worth a damn.

So, what's the problem? You're gonna lose a little AD that "is not enough to buy anything worth a damn", but you'll get more AD from dungeons, skirmishes and PvP. AD from Invoke and Salvage is still there.
    This change clearly should not affect you that much. If anything, you should make more than before.
  • Options
    deathrictusdeathrictus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    As a returning player that quit not long after Neverwinter was released, once these changes go live I'll never see higher quality enchants. These changes are going to absolutely gut new players ability to buy anything interesting with AD. But maybe that's the idea, make all the good stuff cost zen instead of only most of it.
    goatshark said:

Leadership, while no longer a major source of AD, is still a good source for XP, Gold, and loot items. All of these things are valuable to regular players, but less so to botters.

Unless you're seriously updating the rewards from leadership it'll be a useless profession. The gold is basically useless, the xp is nice but more of a bonus than an actual point since any quest worth it's salt is better, and the loot items are mediocre at best outright useless at worst.

• Options
    vangiggsyvangiggsy Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I never understand why developers so rarely consult their customers (that is what we are by the way) prior to announcing or coming up with such sweeping changes. This is without doubt going to cause an exodus. Hey Scott when was the last time you tried to queue for a dungeon, how many times have you been kicked from a group? Constructive suggestion...understand the customer better...get feedback on ideas...find the middle ground.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    Waiting for a post that shows what Leadership will actually provide for rewards now....if the AD is removed for XP, thats a joke.
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    Now that you've removed the biggest source of AD generation, how about removing all the AD sink as well?

Cost for all the boons, stronghold donations, feat respec, and perhaps even transmute should be taken away or reduced by a very significant amount, something like 75%. Since I would estimate the average person in game would be making about 25% of AD compare to now with this change.

Wondrous Bazaar items (excluding GMoP) needs to be reduced by about 80%, while GMoP should be half the cost of what it is now. Not a big deal since nobody buys anything from wondrous bazaar these days except for GMoP and cubes.

Doing dungeons and skirmish should give twice as much AD as the proposed, this will give newer players a chance to catch up. Salvageable items should be worth twice as much.

But for PvP... back to fighting bots like the good old days. Good thing is it won't take long to get into a match. BAD THING I will queue for PvP with all my alts, instead of spending my time doing leadership tasks, they'll just go there to collect their daily AD while I watch TV and check on them once a while to make sure they haven't afk'd for too long.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    morenthar said:

zebular said:

I am on board with this change completely. With my limited game time, the only way I have been able to afford anything is by having a "Leadership Army" and that turned into a catch-22. All my available time each day was spent working Leadership. With these changes, I will be able to stop my "leadership army" and instead spend that 30-90 minutes actually playing the game AND earning AD.

I feel the pros definitely out-weight the cons and while yes there will be upset folks that can no longer rake in near endless AD (like me), what this does is turn the game economy back on track to what it should be. I feel too that these changes will allow far more people will be able to enjoy the game than those upset. Especially new and returning players. This sounds great to me. Looking forward to actually being able to play the game and not work it.

Your heart is in the right place, but I have a sneaking suspicion you are going to be VERY disappointed at how much AD you are going to lose out on.
    I hear ya. I am already cringing at how much less AD I'll be able to make but really, all this means is I no longer will be spending all my time making that AD and instead will now be running skirmishes, delves, and so on. So, this is that push I personally needed to stop myself from only playing the "leadership game."
  • Options
    unabletodisplayunabletodisplay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I really like being able to support a main character from professions alts ... seemed that was the major selling point to spend time playing the game. This is definitely serious disappointment after investing so many months ranking leadership alts to see such a severe and not entirely expected nerf.

I like the game and I was glad to support it during development and for the first several mods! Please consider reintroducing the "old" content that was removed for the "expansion".

But seriously you speak of "ecomony"... umm 5kRP for 22.5k AD *AFTER VIP DISCOUNT* (flawless sapphire at WB) is the expected price for RPs to be 4.5 ADs/RP?

Umm ... if you have been investigating the economy I'm sure you know the calculations (~10.5M RP plus wards + marks for a single item ... so say 12M for an artifact and 5M each for artifact armor and weapon ... and call it 3M for each of a couple dozen enchants about 30 all told with an augment I guess) ... do the prices in the Bazaar represent the target for AD:RP or are the going to be adjusted much lower to work in a reasonable economy?

In the desired economy ... how long would you expect it to take for a player to get 200M RP at 4.5ADs per RP?
    I'll give you 2x RP for all the refinement ... and PLEASE assume the player will run receive all the new bonus ADs!

My guess is it would be at 24k a day ... ummm ... 200M/2*4.5 => 450M-AD / 24k => 18,750 days ... so 51 years ... but since we need to replace all the gear every few months ... umm ... would actually be a *LOT* longer. But hey ... any drops we get will be worth a lot less on the AH (unless they become bound, then we can maybe salvage them) !!!!

Speaking of which ... is the refining cap being increased? Now even with this additional rough AD so many have excess salvage anyway ... so more rough AD may not be so satisfying for them ... maybe 100k per day ... then I could get my RPs in ... ummm a little over 10 years *please*?

PS
    If 2x professions = "we love you" ... what does 0x equate to?
  • Options
    aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    vangiggsy said:

I never understand why developers so rarely consult their customers (that is what we are by the way) prior to announcing or coming up with such sweeping changes. This is without doubt going to cause an exodus. Hey Scott when was the last time you tried to queue for a dungeon, how many times have you been kicked from a group? Constructive suggestion...understand the customer better...get feedback on ideas...find the middle ground.

Because that would require time and effort. And that's time and effort that can be spent reselling you the same purple horse we already sold you a dozen times over at $40.00 a pop.

In all seriousness? What if I don't want to grind dungeons across my three alts just so my main CW can actually pull his weight in his guild? What if I don't want to keep running the same HAMSTER over and over again in the vain hope that it'll somehow get better? What if I want to play the game's actual story campaign? Why can't I get some AD that way? Or heck, slap some on the vigilance quests. It might make people actually want to hang around and do them...

• Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    And again we ask, what is that going to do for those that do not have time, or do not like dungeons, skirmishes or PvP? There are probably thousands of casual players that play the game as solo, that do not like grouping with others, etc. Is it fair to them to only be able to get AD from invoking now? All quests in all zones should give AD if they are going to change it.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    greyloche said:

zebular said:

I hear ya. I am already cringing at how much less AD I'll be able to make but really, all this means is I no longer will be spending all my time making that AD and instead will now be running skirmishes, delves, and so on. So, this is that push I personally needed to stop myself from only playing the "leadership game."

It will just be a different game.

instead of logging in an alt and running professions it will be log in an alt, queue pvp, sit there, done, log new alt, queue pvp, sit there, done. repeat........

different game same bot.
    Nah, I don't PvP so I'll be doing PvE content with friends again. Woot! I do agree with the comments folks have though, that there will most likely be a needed adjustment to the price of our current AD sinks. Time will tell for sure.
  • Options
    zillahlinaszillahlinas Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Finally, after a long time working up my leadership I can finally afford greater marks. I need lots of those to refine everything. I'm never running a bot. There is no reason for the regular player to do professions. Making useful stuff for lev 70 is irregular as the rare tasks have no schedule. I can;t afford the space to wait for a skill that I see less than 1/week.

The Marks in places and marks of potency are WAY too high. removing leadership it will take me weeks to get 1 enchant up one step. Solo friendly is not requiring skirmishes/pvp/dungeons. I like story and campaign. (Why isn't there a capstone dungeon for the Temple of Elemental Evil? Why haven't the removed dungeons been updated The Idris mission was still given to my Pally.)

"On top of that, though we were expecting players to use the Foundry daily to get AD, we found the vast majority weren't doing so at all. " Well we don;t play foundries because there's no reward. People will not waste their time building or playing when all you get a crappy green and almost no hoard/fey drops. key it on time, key it on xp, but there must be a reward worth the time. a vast majority of the foundry were broken with elemental evil. Many good ones are gone. I made one, and for a week's hard work I made about 500AD in tips. I'd make more if i held atin cup in the corner. The Foundry being down so frequently doesn't help at all. we're out of the habit. Those should be ideal for people who don't like Dungeons/pvp or don't have massive time blocks. But it has been broken for months, so don't act like that is viable for storyline players.

Remember Neverwinter is not just competing with Wow or star trek online, but also storyline games like inquisition and Divinity sin.
  • Options
    arkvaladaresarkvaladares Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    how it is to open the chests of the dungeon? will be free? I hope you're thinking about it ...
  • Options
    essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    ayroux said:

Everything Ayroux said...

These are all great ideas to smooth out the AD changes, please implement all of these.
    goatshark said:

Everything goatshark said...

Yes, this change to leadership has been sorely needed. The upside is that nearly all AH items will gradually come down... they will have to since the economy will no longer support the current prices.

There are A LOT of Cryptic-provided AD sinks that need adjusting when you do implement this. You must implement these adjustments or you will be losing way more players than you are appeasing. Drop the AD sinks in the game fairly low and then gradually bring them back up.

This AD change is absolutely necessary. Just make sure you aren't ripping flesh when you tear off that nasty old bandage.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    greyloche said:

zebular said:

instead of logging in an alt and running professions it will be log in an alt, queue pvp, sit there, done, log new alt, queue pvp, sit there, done. repeat........

different game same bot.
    Fairly certain that they will find ways to combat this. Probably just because you mentioned this, actually.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Lets see how many players will think its fun to play a game where you cant progress at all. Since the devs didn't say anything about the prices of vendors (like gmarks, wards etc) I'm gonna assume (like everyone else) that they stay like they are now. Nobody will afford anything and the game will get boring really fast.

If they don't want us to assume stuff like that, maybe they should say something before everyone leaves the game.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    cjh1983cjh1983 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 229 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

greyloche said:

zebular said:

different game same bot.
    Fairly certain that they will find ways to combat this. Probably just because you mentioned this, actually.
    if we follow the trend, all queues will be removed from the gateway, and then from the game - problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.