test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unplayable Network Lag

lorelestlorelest Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
Today when I started up the game launcher I was immediately met by a huge delay for the play button to pop up. Didnt think much of it until I got in game and started noticing that I was rubberbanding ever so often, and it was taken 1-2 seconds for the option to grab an item to come up. The lag was consistent and never went away despite switching zones several times. This was compounded with the occasional server not responding and being sent back to the log in screen and then a huge delay to get back into the game.

This all came to a head when I tried to do Tiamat almost 5 hours later and I could not move... at all. The lag was so bad I literally could not play. I was, in essence, stuck in Tiamat as I could not even make it to the door to click out of it. First Tiamat I ever went AFK in.

Now I have an excellent internet connection and I have never experienced lag like this before for the 5 months Ive been playing Neverwinter. I have changed nothing, installed nothing, running nothing additional in the background, and I have tested my connection on other sites and pinged several servers. As far as I can tell it is not my internet connection but something in between me and the Neverwinter Server.

Ive heard of the Frame Rate Drop bug and this is not that. My FPS are fine and its definitely not graphics lag.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciate because as it stands right now I can barely play the game the lag is so bad.

Moderator Notice: This thread is being used as a venting and discussion thread for the connection issues affecting a good number of people. For updates, please see the Sticky or watch this thread, as we'll provide updates to both.
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    If anyone has any advice, I'm having the exact same problem. Was gone most of the week, patched up and then it's totally unplayable, exactly as described above...I've never had problems this bad with a connection to the game. :(
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • lorelestlorelest Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Sad to hear someone else is sharing my pain.

Asked everyone in my guild if they were lagging and no one else seemed to be having the same problem. If its on Neverwinter's side its something only affecting a few lucky people.

A little more information, Im in Georgia and using Xfinity Internet, in case that matters.

• shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    The issue seems to be present across all Cryptic games (STO and CO also having issues) but not all players. Every report I've seen today has been from people using Comcast/Xfinity and (on my tracert at least) the lag spikes as soon as I hit cogentco. The lag and latency are nothing short of epic.
  • draecynthdraecynth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    My friend is also experiencing server latency issues, she gets the error "Not connected to server." quite often, for about 40 or so seconds, this HAS not happened before the patch from yesterday. She can barely load into the game as well. Is this a known error? It's not the frame rate either, she and I have already gone over the possible framerate issues, and her internet is fast otherwise, except on Neverwinter. She has not touched anything, installed anything, etc. If anyone has any fixes or updates on this problem, please do post here. Thanks! It's making the game unplayable for her.
    Drae'Syndora Myrae - Drow Control Wizard - The Iron Guard
  • yozh8866yozh8866 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I am having precisely the same problem as the OP - lorelest's description could be my own, from the delay in the play button on the launcher to the rubberbanding to the inability to pick things up or interact for a few seconds. This today culminated in "unable to connect to server" messages that were lasting minutes, and has thus rendered the game unplayable. I have no problem with framerates or internet connection speed. This issue has only occurred since the latest patch.
  • nilchetnilchet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    Exact same thing just started today... pvp and pve unplayable.. I get the server not responding up to around 46 seconds..then 20 seconds of banding to catch up and then unavail again. restarted everything and I have a nice rig.. so the problem isnt out here. Getting pretty tired of these issues every patch/update/event
  • uknesvuinnguknesvuinng Member Posts: 4 Arc User

The issue seems to be present across all Cryptic games (STO and CO also having issues) but not all players. Every report I've seen today has been from people using Comcast/Xfinity and (on my tracert at least) the lag spikes as soon as I hit cogentco. The lag and latency are nothing short of epic.

Yeah, same here. I do a traceroute to arcgames.com and there's a significant increase in latency when it hits cogentco.com. I hadn't been having problems earlier today, then Comcast in our area had a total outage for a few hours, and since the outage ended, I can't even successfully log into the game. The Arc website seems fairly responsive, though the Neverwinter portal also suffers notable latency issues.

If everyone having the issue is on Comcast, it's very likely something Cryptic can't fix as it's not actually a problem on their end.
  • rekorb84rekorb84 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    What you have all said sums up what I have been dealing with all day. I started with Frontier, now using Comcast and xfinity. I ping'd Google.com, yahoo.com, and had zero packet loss so I know my connection is fine. This is clearly an issue with their servers and certain internet providers. Was anyone able to get them on the phone today for direct answers?
    I'm now connecting to Neverwinter through a VPN to route around the problem, and having success. Launcher loaded up snappy instead of taking forever. The game client itself loaded quickly and I've just logged in successfully without a hitch and I'm not seeing any lag. It's definitely not a problem with the game servers, but the route to them.

I'm a Comcast user in the southeastern US, and my connection routes through Comcast's network in GA. I noticed one other person mentioned being a Comcast customer in GA. Is this the case for everyone else that's having a problem?
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I've been having lag on my internet in general this week. I don't know why, but it's driving me crazy. I can't even watch YouTube without it buffering. I use Time Warner internet.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • aepochaepoch Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Same problems here, same symptoms, same everything - including Comcast through Georgia.

What is this VPN wizardry anyway? I've heard it hundreds of times but never saw a personal reason to learn anything about it...
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    aepoch said:

Same problems here, same symptoms, same everything - including Comcast through Georgia.

What is this VPN wizardry anyway? I've heard it hundreds of times but never saw a personal reason to learn anything about it...

A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    aepoch said:

Virtual Private Network. It covers a number of various protocols that encapsulate and encrypt traffic. Think of it like a tunnel. Instead of travelling on the open roads on the internet, your data travels through the tunnel to the VPN endpoint, then hits the surface roads. It's useful for privacy and connecting machines on an external network into the local network as if those machines were local. Any connection made through a VPN will appear as though it originates at the VPN endpoint, as that's where it's exiting the tunnel. And since it makes my traffic "originate" from the VPN endpoint instead of my home, it takes a different route to get to the intended destination, like a sort of detour.

Anyway, it definitely sounds like some issues with Comcast's network in the southeast US region. Being Comcast, they'll probably fix it eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath during the wait.
  • aepochaepoch Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

aepoch said:

A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet.
    Would you be willing to provide me a link of where I should start? There is so much on the web I'm not sure what is BS or what isn't - which service to use (SSL, or others) and etc..

Thank you for your kind help!
    This is the reasons for everyone's trouble. http://www.neowin.net/news/level3-suffering-major-outages-effects-are-felt-worldwide

I don't know about setting up a VPN.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • deathrictusdeathrictus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

3 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms Te0-0-0-12-ur03.leecocourt.fl.naples.comcast.net
    [68.85.96.17]
    4 10 ms 8 ms 11 ms te-0-7-0-3-ur04.leecocourt.fl.naples.comcast.net
    [162.151.7.146]
    5 16 ms 14 ms 11 ms te-0-3-0-12-ar03.bonitasprngs.fl.naples.comcast.
    net [68.85.64.93]
    6 18 ms 15 ms 19 ms be-33661-cr01.miami.fl.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.
    94.89]
    7 44 ms 43 ms 44 ms 68.86.86.94
    8 46 ms 47 ms 43 ms 68.86.86.89
    9 58 ms 58 ms 56 ms be-11317-cr02.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86
    .84.230]
    10 61 ms 56 ms 58 ms ae-17-0-pe01.910fifteenth.co.ibone.comcast.net [
    68.86.84.126]
    11 56 ms 56 ms 57 ms te0-0-0-0.rcr11.b006467-1.den01.atlas.cogentco.c
    om [154.54.10.33]
    12 58 ms 63 ms 57 ms te0-1-0-3.ccr21.den01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .83.29]
    13 61 ms 61 ms 62 ms be2128.ccr21.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.25
    .174]
    14 62 ms 65 ms 63 ms be2156.ccr41.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.
    86]
    15 77 ms 68 ms 69 ms be2351.ccr21.cle04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.44
    .86]
    16 93 ms 73 ms 73 ms be2009.ccr21.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.25
    .89]
    17 76 ms 78 ms 86 ms be2299.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.43
    .9]
    18 76 ms 83 ms 78 ms te0-0-1-0.rcr11.b002133-1.bos01.atlas.cogentco.c
    om [154.54.46.134]
    19 75 ms 76 ms 76 ms 38.111.40.114
    20 75 ms 76 ms 76 ms 198.49.243.253
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 76 ms 76 ms 92 ms patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com [208.95.18
    5.41]

Trace complete.

So whatever jump 21 is, it's consistently timing out. I'm also on comcast in the southeast.
    aepoch said:

kreatyve said:

aepoch said:

Would you be willing to provide me a link of where I should start? There is so much on the web I'm not sure what is BS or what isn't - which service to use (SSL, or others) and etc..

Thank you for your kind help!
    I'd been using ZenMate to watch UK Netflix (which oddly has a better selection of US television than the US version), and they're offering a free week trial of the premium service. The website's a little confusing, but it worked for me. You'll have to set up an account and download their client. They also offer extensions for Chrome and Firefox, but those won't do you any good if you're trying to use it to play Neverwinter.

Most VPN services I've seen usually run between $5 to $10 a month. You can probably just google "VPN service" and see what comes up, and google anything that looks like you might want to get to see what other people have to say about them.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    For the past two days, the whole world has been experiencing slow downs and network blackouts due to issues with Level3. I suggest to browse the web on the issue. It should now be clearing up for most people however.
  • zac20169zac20169 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I've a friend experiencing these issues, and according to her it's still no better whatsoever and seems to be getting worse. Is there anything she can do? She's considering just abandoning Neverwinter due to how horrific the lag is.
    de_signature_mining_animated_only_frames_smaller_by_aanker-d5tdsyx.gif
  • deathrictusdeathrictus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    According to Level 3's twitter they've fixed the problem with their network a day ago. Whatever the problem is, I was able to play between 4 and 6 AM. After a nap, I'm definitely experiencing the problem again at 11 AM.
  • shaiffishaiffi Member Posts: 9 Arc User

According to Level 3's twitter they've fixed the problem with their network a day ago. Whatever the problem is, I was able to play between 4 and 6 AM. After a nap, I'm definitely experiencing the problem again at 11 AM.

I am still having this issue today, game is unplayable. I am able to play all my other games without issue, and surf the web also. This didn't start until after the patch, has to be on Arc end...
  • pappabare1pappabare1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Same here. Game is unplayable.

Must be all the bots after the 2xAD
  • unknowncomicunknowncomic Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I've got Comcast in the Midwest (Minnesota), having the same exact issues here since yesterday (8-28). It seems to have gotten worse overnight, the game is completely unplayable (of course its double AD).
    http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/98/98e788118dfbf3f96932d4895930c1330a48a8f371e9d19dc74f22d5899e4ad9.jpg
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I am still having problems here. I have comcast internet and it is working fine, it's just this game having issues. Nothing abnormal on my traceroute. However the game is having massive issues. Watching the netgraph and the server not responding messages. It's unplayable right now. It was bad yesterday morning, cleared up mid morning, then problems came back around 12:30 AM EST and is still going on.

At this point, my hands are up in the air. Don't know what's going on. Just reporting the issue here...

Edit: Northern Midwest (Indiana)
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • shaiffishaiffi Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I see they closed other threads claiming it was a level 3 issue, I hope they now realize something else is going on and are looking into it. Some sort of response from ARC would be great since the majorty of the player base can't get into the game...
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    I am having similar issues. Comcast southeast.

I will also say that is it just neverwinter. I can youtube/netflix fine till the cows come home. Start up the launcher and its starts to freeze.
  • cptnawesomeocptnawesomeo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The launcher is even hanging and taking 15-20 minutes to load sometimes today. When it does connect, it immediately reports "login server cannot be reached". I am able to log in at this point and if I am lucky I can get an invoke or one profession slot managed before getting server not responding issues and then kicked with a Login Server Cannot be reached.

Comcast is my ISP. 180MB speed test right now and nothing else is having issues. Have forced verified. Have started the game in safe mode. Would run your CrypticNet file but you've not adapted it for Win10 yet.

Couple of hops closest to your end are timing out or running at 176MS (all other hops are hitting at 24MS).

It would appear you still have a network issue. Hopefully you'll extend the double AD at least since we've lost hours of AD collection through this issue. I'm starting to regret getting a 12 month sub and the money I've dropped into this game so far. Not because there are issues. But because you wont acknowledge them
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    zebular said:

For the past two days, the whole world has been experiencing slow downs and network blackouts due to issues with Level3. I suggest to browse the web on the issue. It should now be clearing up for most people however.

Nope. If anything it's worse now than it was last night. While most spots on Level 3's outage map are no longer angry red, Boston (home of the Cryptic server farm as I recall) remains in yellow.
  • xhekkimxhekkim Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    The game was working fine for me last night, but this morning, starting at 6:30, I have had nothing but 'server not responding' issues. I'm playing in safe mode right now, but it seems even worse. I also use Comcast and live in Fl, but my internet is fine - my boyfriend constantly plays Destiny and he is having no problems.
  • mattmonroemattmonroe Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Per the traceroute posted above, along with mine which is similar, the problem is with cryptic. That second to last hop timing out is the reason in all likelihood. Just unsure if they are aware of it.

traceroute to patchserver.crypticstudios.com (208.95.185.41), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
    1 10.1.10.1 (10.1.10.1) 3.948 ms 1.223 ms 1.212 ms
    2 73.14.232.1 (73.14.232.1) 10.007 ms 13.078 ms 9.752 ms
    3 xe-9-3-2-0-sur01.denver.co.denver.comcast.net (68.85.220.37) 9.648 ms 9.422 ms 9.599 ms
    4 ae-10-0-sur02.denver.co.denver.comcast.net (68.86.128.102) 9.727 ms 9.556 ms 10.692 ms
    5 ae-20-0-ar01.aurora.co.denver.comcast.net (68.86.128.173) 13.042 ms 11.652 ms 13.421 ms
    6 he-0-5-0-3-cr02.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.87.89) 20.460 ms
    he-0-5-0-7-cr02.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.93.149) 17.089 ms
    he-0-5-0-5-cr02.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.95.201) 14.047 ms
    7 ae-10-0-pe01.910fifteenth.co.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.84.18) 104.519 ms 12.767 ms 20.707 ms
    8 te0-0-0-0.rcr11.b006467-1.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.33) 13.399 ms 15.085 ms 16.393 ms
    9 te0-1-0-3.ccr21.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.83.29) 14.554 ms
    te0-1-0-3.ccr22.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.83.33) 13.198 ms
    te0-1-0-3.ccr21.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.83.29) 14.183 ms
    10 be2128.ccr21.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.25.174) 39.147 ms
    be2130.ccr22.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.26.122) 31.073 ms 31.303 ms
    11 be2156.ccr41.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.6.86) 37.983 ms 36.971 ms
    be2157.ccr42.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.6.118) 38.364 ms
    12 be2351.ccr21.cle04.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.44.86) 43.716 ms
    be2185.ccr22.cle04.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.43.178) 44.761 ms 44.749 ms
    13 be2009.ccr21.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.25.89) 58.710 ms
    be2189.ccr22.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.43.185) 57.561 ms
    be2009.ccr21.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.25.89) 57.715 ms
    14 be2299.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.43.9) 77.534 ms
    be2302.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.43.13) 64.206 ms
    be2299.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.43.9) 74.791 ms
    15 te0-0-0-0.rcr11.b002133-1.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.46.130) 63.121 ms 63.260 ms
    te0-0-1-0.rcr11.b002133-1.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.46.134) 61.362 ms
    16 38.111.40.114 (38.111.40.114) 61.328 ms 60.256 ms 59.431 ms
    17 198.49.243.253 (198.49.243.253) 62.775 ms 67.314 ms 59.723 ms
    18 * * *
    19 patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com (208.95.185.41) 260.336 ms 61.125 ms 60.018 ms
This discussion has been closed.