test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Class that is "needed" in PvE?

Xeia - IllyfueXeia - Illyfue Posts: 3 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Class Discussion
I have a lvl72 Elemental Warrior and people often prefer other classes over me. They usually say "we already have single target DD/tank" or "we need AoE now". Well, I have some AoE def debuffs (threatening roar, blood soak talent) and want to get the AoEs but they are slow... I can't even get into IP to lvl my pet, they always need AoE and if I apply to automatic party it takes forever to get in... : / Not to mention those orders to farm whatever we need to lvl Dyos, I have to do them alone because no one likes me (lack of AoEs). My guild is always busy with something or they are like "we can go in an hour" and I'm like "too bad I have to go soon". x_x I want a DD class that is needed and can find parties easily... : (

Right now I'm interested in 3 classes (but other suggestions are welcomed!!!): Inferno Vamp, Burst MM, Fire Mage. I'm looking for the one that has good damage with decent but not "THE BEST" gear (I am not a cash shopper and not fond of PvP). I like events / instances / anything that can be done in parties.

1. I think the best damage-survivability combo (less gear dependent) is the Vamp but how are the AoEs at higher lvls? I know the lvl60 one is nice but not sure about others. Are the curses AoE? Because the skills say "single target curse" but the description metions "targetS" so I'm confused... Also, there are too many Vamps, is it hard to get into parties?
2. I heard Burst MM is cheap to gear and they have good AoEs but low HP and not too good single target DD. They are rare so it's probably easy to get into parties with a MM (?).
3. Fire Mage has the best (?) AoEs and good single target damage but low HP and needs good gear / upgrades.

ALSO, I really really wanted to be a Priest because I actually love healing but I was reading a convo on world chat yesterday and people scared me away. They said "you have to be a millionaire to gear a priest" and "if you can't max your healing skills, you're a fail priest"... O.o That's scary because I have terrible luck with skill scrolls, most of the time people just stole the Warrior scrolls in instances, that would happen to my Priest too...

I don't know what to do, help me choose? :c

PS. Sorry I wrote too much. Sorry for my bad English!
Post edited by Xeia - Illyfue on

Comments

• Falkor - IllyfueFalkor - Illyfue Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My only comment to you would be this: Play the class and tree that suits your play style, do not reroll your character because of peoples opinion.

Why am I saying this? The answer is simple, you will be playing the char not the "other" people.

I am no pro on Inferno Vamp or Fire Mage (I have an alt lvl 76 Dark Vamp and a lvl 67 Fire Mage), so I cannot comment on thses classes.

Although not a pro on Burst MM's, I do happen to have a lvl 80 one that used to be my main char for a very long time. It is really a fun class to play and have a load of AoE attacks. Dont be fooled by players always needing an AoE class - there is definitely some instances that you would be overlooked as an AoE class and the party would prefer a single targert DPS - such as an ele warrior :eek:

My main is now my Diamond Prot and the only reason that I semi-retired my trusty old MM, is because my play style have changed from pure PvE to a combo of PvE and PvP (trust me, if u discover the fun to be had in a GvG run, your reluctance to not participate in PvP would change ;))
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
  • asd29asd29 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No don't reroll especially as a MM. Drops are worthless and it's just worthless for pvp. AoE is not as necessary as you may think because the instances are a joke other than GoS. AS/ASHM/ToK are all doable without dedicated AoE. I've done all with my wind bard alt as primary aoe other than GoS.

Though I'd highly recommend sticking as a warrior and seeing it to 75+ as well gearead wars offer the best balance of STDPS and survivability. If you want a class that will get into parties and has a spammable aoe and has decent survivability go wind bard - you have the best atk buffs of any class bar none, you have a spammable aoe (requiem though this is at 75+), you can provide support heals as well as self heals through sonata of life and baptism. And you have the ability to mass dispel negative status effects like sleep and ensnare. Very useful for Tok. For PVE gear is not as important just as long as you have decent HP, so its fairly cheap to gear, 20-25khp will see you snooze through 75+ instances

But honestly if you're having problems with scrolls and getting parties stop pugging instances - just join a guild that's active when you are.
    As a level 80MM my advice for anyone wanting to be a MM - fun class to play. But it's not a button mash class. Be prepared for some frustration
  • AlexejRoma - LionheartAlexejRoma - Lionheart Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Agreed with Falkor, play what YOU wanna play, not other people. If you play your class well you shouldn't have that much trouble finding parties.
    I'm a lvl80 ele warrior and I've been in the position before of being the main AoE (so to speak lol) in FP for example (managed speed run like that before, so not doing too bad ;) ). People are biased sadly. Running FP or ToK with 5 single target dps that know what they're doing will take less time than running with 5 undergeared noob AoEs.
    When someone doesn't want a warrior in their party maybe remind them that you actually offer 15% more attack for every party member through your dragon power and depending how you're skilled your debuffs can additionally increase the damage of any other physical/wind reliant class in party (with the increasing popularity of wind bards and with how many edge sins there are, this does have an effect).

With 6 spots available in a party, even if they have a priest, bard, mage and mm, that still leaves 2 spots for single target dps and that doesn't always have to be vamp or sin (are people on Illyfue really that much against warriors? lol).

If you're set on going AoE I'd personally recommend fire mage, while MMs are, along with Prots the cheapest class to gear out simply because barely anyone plays them, Fire Mage wins in damage over MM from my experience. Inferno vamp is not even in the competition afaik.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xeia - IllyfueXeia - Illyfue Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thank you everyone, I was scared to post here, I thought people would bite my head off (lol), but you're all very kind and helpful. >.< I think I'll join an other guild, the one I'm in is pretty small and inactive, maybe I'll have more luck in a bigger one. Also, I recently came back from a hiatus and almost all of my friends left, so I have no one to play with only random parties. x.x I think I'll stick with my Warrior for now and try my best to get some skill scrolls... Someone stole my Lightning Wings in fissure even though we agreed to class roll, it made me very sad and disappointed (that's why I went on a hiatus). I've never got a useful skill scroll, it's such a pain to collect them and they cost a fortune on AH... *sigh*
  • Monotonous - Storm LegionMonotonous - Storm Legion Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    priest or bard, you will never be alone..
  • lamesquirellamesquirel Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think you should try Fire Mage.

Other stuff to think about

1)Healing Build (Priest, Bard, Vampire) - all great for healing and if you dont want to heal then there is other trees you can go for.

I would Recommend Vampire or Priest. Bard is on the technique side of gaming and well... I've seen people fail at being a bard because they forget combos or tend to mess up 1/4 trys on a combo. So the easiest would be Vampire but priest is really good also.

2)DPS (Assassin, Mage, and MM)

I only include MM because it is designed as a DPS/DD class. Would NOT recommend MM.
    Mage is decent if you want to play from afar
    Assassin is more of close combat.
    Personally i find both to be equal. It is easier for people to see that assassins are OP when that is ALL they see and Mages are less played so when you see 1 bad one it can ruin the whole lot. I think they are both equal in PvE terms.

3)Tanking (Protector, Warrior, Vampire)

Protector is a rock! Litterally, great tanks and amazing class. Unique and rare to find since Warriors and Vampires are more common.

Warriors dont have as much Defence as a protector but they tend to have more HP. Great tanking class and really fun to play.

Protector and Warriors are equal so take your pick.

Vampire... I include this because you will here people say that Vampires can tank. They can but it is harder then to just have a Warrior or a Protector. I try to avoid Vampires, sorry im classest when it comes to this just because they tend to be over done and i would rather have some under played classes. Anyways, Vampires in my experience need to be healed more and sometimes a Vampire has to heal itself while taking gets hard and then the whole party is basically aggroing while the vampire is healing itself, which If you play with some people that are a lower level then you it can be a problem when they take 2 or 3 hits while you get healed.

This is purely my prefrences and opinions. I know alot of FW players disagree with me on these things, but there is no lies inside it.

Overall my opinion for the BEST PvE class would be the Warrior or Priest. Always wanted and fun to play. Warriors and Priests are easy to pick up and always a blast.
  • Sabriele - Storm LegionSabriele - Storm Legion Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    One thing to remember, especially considering what people say about priests (or marksman)

A marksman may be cheap to outfit in gear/scrolls. BUT, that also means that most gear/scrolls you get in instances wont sell for much, and therefore makes it hard to make money by instancing for gear [PvE]

A Priest MAY be ridiculously expensive for good gear/scrolls. BUT, if you get a good piece of gear, or skill scroll, in an instance, you can sell it for a lot, and make money.

I will admit, priests are harder to make money early because you NEED the expensive skills and gear, but once you have farmed up enough, you can start selling and make millions :)
    Broken Avatar -- . --

IGN : Sabriele
    Class : Assassin
    Level : 80
    Tree : Venom
  • WerePetar - IllyfueWerePetar - Illyfue Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    inferno vamp isnt bad idea but if u take vamp u wont have big difrance since 50+active server population is vamp or war ,so my advice is go for wind bard u will get party easy then
  • abhinav22abhinav22 Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ik how u fell people generaly don't take 2 wars in a team and wars r meant to tank but with vamp and sin out dmg us it kind of hard :( but if u look at other class war is much easier and simple to use in pve and pvp its a class that cannot be ignored ele wars r realy good with takinf dmg and do inc atk with DU (combact rampage talent) u can stack 30% atk if u r human and do massive dmg but yeah people its hard to get team for instance :(
  • Ginius - IllyfueGinius - Illyfue Posts: 2,509 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well I'm often running instance with 2-3 wars, granted that instances are easy once you reach endgame.

I've always been welcomed in party since day 1 as an elemental warrior except ofc when the priests/AOE/bard spots were the one missing.

But for warriors, as well as for sins, and for the other classes but at a lower scale, reputation is what makes you wanted in party.

Basically if you find a party to enter an instance, fail at your job, then when one member of this party will be in another one and see your name, he will say to the others to not invite you because of the past experience.

On the other side, if you did a great job, as soon as he will see your name, he will ask his pt members to invite you ;)

Now the question is, how to build up a good reputation.

1- First thing you will ask is how to be good the first time if I don't know how it works?

Then you have several solutions, but the best one would be to:
    - check on forum how the instance works (specially the bosses)
    - ask your guildmates/friends to give you piece of advices, especially to people with the same class/tree as yours.
    - for your first run, do it with experienced guildies/friends and don't hesitate to ask questions during the run, this way you will learn a lot and be able to handle it on your own later on

2- Now that you know how it works, you will start running instances.

If you have friends, guildies, run with some of them, and start creating friendship with a few others (like 2 guildies and 3 others in your party, then add them in your friendlist for other runs later ;))

Your friendlist will grow bigger and you will have more and more people to add in your party when you want to run an instance :)

The 2 important points are:
    - try to learn beforehand how it works, and don't hesitate to ask if you don't know.
    - do not pug if you don't know how it works, it will only give you a bad reputation.

And having a good guild is really helpfull :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature by Baby.
    Level 90 since august 2014

- Elemental Warrior 90
    - Ice Mage 90
    - Blood Raider 87
    - Divine Priest 85
    - Water Bard 83
    - Precision MM 80
    - Demon? I hope soon xD
  • Sugarboy - EyrdaSugarboy - Eyrda Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    One thing to remember, especially considering what people say about priests (or marksman)

A marksman may be cheap to outfit in gear/scrolls. BUT, that also means that most gear/scrolls you get in instances wont sell for much, and therefore makes it hard to make money by instancing for gear [PvE]

A Priest MAY be ridiculously expensive for good gear/scrolls. BUT, if you get a good piece of gear, or skill scroll, in an instance, you can sell it for a lot, and make money.

I will admit, priests are harder to make money early because you NEED the expensive skills and gear, but once you have farmed up enough, you can start selling and make millions :)

i agree and disagree with this :o
    while this is true in some cases, many parties i enter these days, even down to MAOS, are simply set to 'free for all' for the drops. In this case, you can gear your mm very easily and gain expensive priest drops from the instance. Just a simple request for it from the pt leader and you're set