test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best starting class?

sulvainsulvain Posts: 1 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Class Discussion
In your opinion what is the best starting class for someone wanting to learn the game?
Post edited by sulvain on

Comments

• CuteNDeadl - Storm LegionCuteNDeadl - Storm Legion Posts: 2,401 Arc User
    edited February 2012
  • destinedtohelldestinedtohell Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    well, they say mage is VERY BAD for quests, and VERY GOOD for dungeon/instances...
    and you can indeed play this game without ever doing any hard quests, making only the easy ones.
    you ll just have a bit less coin. but wouldnt be my first choice starting a new game.
    after all you have to make quests to read and UNDERSTAND the game.

even in 70 mage is bad on that, cause if you have points in fireball and ice arrow already, the natures fury wont change much your damage output. mage is destined to be weak on quests forever.
  • bulltoobulltoo Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    well, they say mage is VERY BAD for quests, and VERY GOOD for dungeon/instances...
    and you can indeed play this game without ever doing any hard quests, making only the easy ones.
    you ll just have a bit less coin. but wouldnt be my first choice starting a new game.
    after all you have to make quests to read and UNDERSTAND the game.

even in 70 mage is bad on that, cause if you have points in fireball and ice arrow already, the natures fury wont change much your damage output. mage is destined to be weak on quests forever.

Learn to Spec/Gear/Gem your mage then ,, My Mage at 70 was 15k HP + doing FP ..
    Mage is AoE machine, they are not really meant to solo, but they can, and I do
    Dwarfs, go Precission till 40 NP, then try Burst your gonna die, talent compass is free
    Sin? Dont know, Mine is good, solo or Party, but high lvls dont call for Sins,,,
    warrior, fun fun fun ..
    Prot, slow, ponderous, takes damage ,,, goes bang bang bang ,,,,

VAMP! well there is a Class unto itself, I LOVE my Inferno Vamp, can solo, is wanted in parties, can tank if need be, can heal if they are not stuck up slobs
    (( My Vamp side HEALS ))

Bard, not sure, I quit mine, looked like way WAY too much work
    Priest, its gonna be YOUR FAULT some 64 Prot Dies on a 66 boss cause he has 45 gear on
    edited February 2012
    bulltoo wrote: »
    they are not really meant to solo, but they can
    not as easy as a protector or as fast as an assassin and where everyone note that is world bosses they are near impossible. in case you re wondering about it, my build is the, as I call,
    "no delay expensive area damage with less trouble in quests mob super destroyer":

fireball explosion 5
    thunder paralize 2
    lightning fury 3
    precision of water 5 <= 66

fireball energy 5
    advanced art 1
    sinister flame 3
    shock expansion 4
    sinister wind 3
    ice inspiration 2 <= 71
    sinister stream 3 <= 75
    flame inspiration 2
    lingering fire 4
    rolling thunder 4
    wind mastery 4
    flame of demons 3 <= 63
    advanced winddrive 2
    swift winddrive 2
    thunder focusing 2 <= 78
    call of demons 2 <= 73

after 75 i changed to almost full ice.

and I m telling you... if you have strong fireball and strong icearrow by the time you get the natures fury, it is a meaningless trashing waste of resources. your "quest damage" DONT INCREASE a bit. have a HUGE cast time, making a low DPS, might as well just dont buy the **** unless you are full storm tree.
  • XPraks - EyrdaXPraks - Eyrda Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    The OP asked what's the best class to start off the game for a newbie, not to tell him the story of your life...

He doesn't care about your endgame build nor about world bosses or end game instances :rolleyes:

Just start off with a vamp, easier class to solo quest and learn the basics of the game, you won't have a very important role in the low level instances such as the main healer or the tank so the party won't expect much other than dps and a heal here and there.
  • Neiapuch - Storm LegionNeiapuch - Storm Legion Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    go for mage
  • DoggyLeg - Storm LegionDoggyLeg - Storm Legion Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Assasins have best mp consumption and kill fastest but no aoe
    wars got good tank/ dps skills
    prots take minimal damage
    mms kill really fast and evade everything if built the way they were supposed to be built
    priest heal things
    vamps kill really fast but have worst mp consumption
    mage kill really fast but have low hp/ defense
    bards kill fast.

/snip

that's a really bad build bro. ijs. you should read up on some guides.
    edited February 2012
    that's a really bad build bro

no it isnt, its build for hit & run. you re not supposed to use 1 element before 7x.
    you pick an element before the apropriate time and you have to deal with the delays of a few skills, in other words you kill nothing.

72, maybe 74 is a good level to pick ONE element only. you do before that and you re a noob.
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    no it isnt, its build for hit & run. you re not supposed to use 1 element before 7x.
    you pick an element before the apropriate time and you have to deal with the delays of a few skills, in other words you kill nothing.

72, maybe 74 is a good level to pick ONE element only. you do before that and you re a noob.
    LOL no wonder you QQ of mage for questing because of your craptastic build.

It's your build that makes you suck at questing.

If you want to spam 1 element only, you can do that as early as lv62 as a human fire mage, so dream on.

tl;dr your build sucks for questing or anything, not the class.
  • Goomz - EyrdaGoomz - Eyrda Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Mage is the best class overall.

-Can 1v1 pvp

-Best at mass pvp

-Best at instances (tied with burst marksmen in this regard, though marksmen suck everywhere else)

-Mages scale the best at endgame compared to other classes
  • Aishleen - EyrdaAishleen - Eyrda Posts: 2,005 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Assasins have best mp consumption and kill fastest but no aoe
    lol no my sin uses waaaaaaaaay more mana per second compared to my warr on average, cuz skills cost around same mp (actually more on sin) but most warrior skills with low cooldown are 2 second cast, hit twice, and don't use double mp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hitoriki - EyrdaHitoriki - Eyrda Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Mage is the best class overall.

-Can 1v1 pvp

-Best at mass pvp

-Best at instances (tied with burst marksmen in this regard, though marksmen suck everywhere else)

Ya, nice strengths overview...no mention of weaknesses.
    1. All mages except for ice fail at 1v1 unless uber geared
    2. Same as above except for wind
    3. Uhm, ya they have good aoes but that's about it
    4. Can't really speak for the last one since my mage is my only 75+ toon <_<
    In short, there is no "best class"...just a class that fits your playstyle.
    And Aishleen, love the new sig.
    Xiryn: Human Fire Mage
    Hitoriki: Elf Light Bard
    Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it to the one who endures that the final victory comes.
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I remember in CB when I saw this from aages back, even at the lower levels (scaling with gear because of max mana) and everyone was like "nah mages suck low damage etc"... too bad they all quit (I think) so I can't shove it in their faces. :p
    2. Same as above except for wind
    Fire mage is better if you don't prefarm redhand.

But in true mass PvP, a fire mage is still superior IMO because of reflects: they hit hard in one hit, where wind mages' only good skill in mass pvp is Purgatory, which hits low but 6 times. That is bad for reflect stuns and reflect damage (especially BoR).

Also you can constantly spam AoEs, where Purgatory for wind has a pretty long cooldown, so you need several wind mages for it. As fire you can just spam, fall back, spam, repeat... and hope for crits till you kill people.
  • Hitoriki - EyrdaHitoriki - Eyrda Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I
    Fire mage is better if you don't prefarm redhand.

But in true mass PvP, a fire mage is still superior IMO because of reflects: they hit hard in one hit, where wind mages' only good skill in mass pvp is Purgatory, which hits low but 6 times. That is bad for reflect stuns and reflect damage (especially BoR).

Also you can constantly spam AoEs, where Purgatory for wind has a pretty long cooldown, so you need several wind mages for it. As fire you can just spam, fall back, spam, repeat... and hope for crits till you kill people.

My belief for mage PvP is based on low-level gear and low masteries (in short, which can be easier). At level 75, all a wind mage has to do is pop their 55 skill and a lot of people will be incapitated - and because of that they have slightly better survivability. But that's just me. However, it's true that if a fire mage can stay alive, they are definitely infinitely more dangerous in mass PvP then wind mages :o
    Xiryn: Human Fire Mage
    Hitoriki: Elf Light Bard
    Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it to the one who endures that the final victory comes.