test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has Jewelcrafter Made Artisan Obsolete?

PugnusDei - Storm LegionPugnusDei - Storm Legion Posts: 234 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
I ask if Jewelcrafter has made Artisan obsolete because:
(1) The necklaces are just as good as, if not better than, the offhands
(2) Artisans have to slave for weeks mining and buying ore just to make a single level -- yet Jewelcrafters on day 1 can make necklaces better than offhands that Artisans had to work for weeks just to level up to make
(3) Offhands require class specific recipes, each of which costs coin. The necklaces and rings are not class specific
(4) The offhands require rare and expensive soul gems/crystals which are very very hard to get -- necklaces and rings require cheap gems that can be bought in the cash store; or the auction house, or even acquired for "free" from GL instance.
(5) As Artisans level up, they can't even acquire the lower level soul gems and crystals as drops any more, thus they cannot acquire the material themselves to make the lower level offhands. Jewelcrafters do not have this problem.

At this point, why would anyone continue to build an Artisan? Has the Jewelcrafter just totally made Artisan obsolete?
Post edited by PugnusDei - Storm Legion on

Comments

• Tymon - LionheartTymon - Lionheart Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Less favorable...yes, obsolete...no. You can still use rings/necklaces PLUS the offhand. and let's face it, having an offhand plus rings/necklace would be better than no offhand and rings/necklace, yes?
  • Wish - Storm LegionWish - Storm Legion Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    No ANC did with all-class offhands
  • Germin - Storm LegionGermin - Storm Legion Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Does the ability to make hats make gloves obsolete, then?
  • PugnusDei - Storm LegionPugnusDei - Storm Legion Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Does the ability to make hats make gloves obsolete, then?
    No. But ultimately offhands, necklaces, and rings are stats, and stat adjusters. As such what matters is what they boost, and how much it costs.
    Therefore offhands, necklaces, and rings are NOT comparable to hats and gloves -- which in real world serve different purposes.

Yes, an offhand plus necklace plus rings is better (slightly) than just necklace plus rings. But the level of effort to develop an Artisan is orders of magnitude harder than that of Jewelcrafter, for a fairly trivial advantage.

Obviously if you, for example, want to acquire items, then as the purchaser you are happy to also get offhands. But for the people who have to invest their time -- why bother with Artisan any more?
  • Shyren - EyrdaShyren - Eyrda Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Necklaces don't give mastery, Off Hands are the ONLY item that can give one, besides id's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jadedsoul - LionheartJadedsoul - Lionheart Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Necklaces don't give mastery, Off Hands are the ONLY item that can give one, besides id's

Necklaces can give mastery's just not as high a stat,but IMO offhands are still a much required item.
  • Crum - EyrdaCrum - Eyrda Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Are you kidding me? A decent offhand can get you 100+ mastery and 1k hp. The only thing rings are good for is mana consumption; and if you're insanely lucky you can get a whopping 5 mastery on a necklace instead of even more +mana. Shoop da whoop.

As mentioned, if anything killed the Artisan job it's Adv. NC. Jewelcrafting is a huge, laughable fail of a profession, imo.

Not that it matters anyway, the game's dead xD.
  • Impotence - LionheartImpotence - Lionheart Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Are you kidding me? A decent offhand can get you 100+ mastery and 1k hp. The only thing rings are good for is mana consumption; and if you're insanely lucky you can get a whopping 5 mastery on a necklace instead of even more +mana. Shoop da whoop.

As mentioned, if anything killed the Artisan job it's Adv. NC. Jewelcrafting is a huge, laughable fail of a profession, imo.

Not that it matters anyway, the game's dead xD.

My neck has 65 dark mastery, goes with a set that gives me 3% of my max hp and gives me 388 hp on top of that.
    Pretty frickin' terrible if you ask me. -40% mana costs with both rings+my talent along with about another 1600 hp from the 3.

ANC is what killed it. Necks/Rings are just additives. You don't run around with a full set but not the hat on just because you have a ring.
  • Crum - EyrdaCrum - Eyrda Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    My neck has 65 dark mastery, goes with a set that gives me 3% of my max hp and gives me 388 hp on top of that.
    Pretty frickin' terrible if you ask me. -40% mana costs with both rings+my talent along with about another 1600 hp from the 3.

Not bad then. Guess I jumped the gun a bit. In all honesty I pretty much quit the day after the update. The whole token shop fiasco with no rollback is PWI's Valentines Day all over again. They had a cs fashion item that you could sell to a NPC for a HUGE amount of money. While they did catch SOME of the abusers and delete SOME of the coin there were still billions upon billions of coins left in the economy (people who mailed the cash to alts etc were never caught lol). Seeing this happen all over again even though 90% of the forum voted for a rollback back then is just lulz worthy. Couple that with the onset of packs (lvl3 bloodstones, really?) and it's enough for me to pack my bags xd. I mean I knew BS like this was to be expected from PWE, but I didn't expect it to be this soon haha.

But anywho I'm drifing off topic lol. What I was going to say was from what I've seen on the first day the update was released, rings had 7-8% -mp cost and +mp (even blues) and necklaces were just slightly better with +elemental attack, with maybe half a dozen lvl50 necks with a miniscule amount of mastery (under 10) on them going for 60g+ on WC. If it really is possible to get 60+ mastery and 500+ hp as IDs - I stand corrected :o
  • Impotence - LionheartImpotence - Lionheart Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Not bad then. Guess I jumped the gun a bit. In all honesty I pretty much quit the day after the update. The whole token shop fiasco with no rollback is PWI's Valentines Day all over again. They had a cs fashion item that you could sell to a NPC for a HUGE amount of money. While they did catch SOME of the abusers and delete SOME of the coin there were still billions upon billions of coins left in the economy (people who mailed the cash to alts etc were never caught lol). Seeing this happen all over again even though 90% of the forum voted for a rollback back then is just lulz worthy. Couple that with the onset of packs (lvl3 bloodstones, really?) and it's enough for me to pack my bags xd. I mean I knew BS like this was to be expected from PWE, but I didn't expect it to be this soon haha.

But anywho I'm drifing off topic lol. What I was going to say was from what I've seen on the first day the update was released, rings had 7-8% -mp cost and +mp (even blues) and necklaces were just slightly better with +elemental attack, with maybe half a dozen lvl50 necks with a miniscule amount of mastery (under 10) on them going for 60g+ on WC. If it really is possible to get 60+ mastery and 500+ hp as IDs - I stand corrected :o

Think it maxes at -9%. Haven't seen anything above personally and all 3 of mine are -8%.

Not sure if you can get over 500 hp. One of my rings is 232, 114, 107. Most of the ones that pop up are +mp though.
    Difference is that I paid 40g for my offhand that is similar stats to my ring. Yet I paid 85g for the ring. Only real plus the ring has is being a set piece with the neck and giving me 3% more to max hp. Being a vamp, that isn't much, but at least it helps on most of my skills.

You did the right thing leaving though. They should of just rolled it back instead of trying to bandaid. Now there's people with wings, cats and gems pouring out of them. Would of made more sense to say sorry this day never happened and then give a little treat this weekend to make up for it.

-- Sorry just noticed I put the neck as 388hp when it's 388mp. Just went and looked to double check I wasn't a moron. xD Still, it's rather decent. Just wish it had something besides 3 mp stats along with the mastery.
  • Orissa - IllyfueOrissa - Illyfue Posts: 496 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Maybe there's a way to improve offhands. Offhand = secondary arms. It could make a set with weapon of the same level (no matter what stats it has). You could get a bit better damage as the bonus, but it can depend on your class
  • Jadedsoul - LionheartJadedsoul - Lionheart Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    One huge difference is you can re-identify a blue ring or necklace where as you are unable to re-identify a blue offhand. So if the jewelry doesn't have the identified stats you like you can always re roll it
  • Selcouth - Storm LegionSelcouth - Storm Legion Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    One huge difference is you can re-identify a blue ring or necklace where as you are unable to re-identify a blue offhand. So if the jewelry doesn't have the identified stats you like you can always re roll it

you "can" re-identify blue offhands
  • Kouria - EyrdaKouria - Eyrda Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Your analysis has one big flaw: You're not taking profit into account.

I bet that in most servers, it's much much cheaper to get artisan and buy rings, than buying offhands and crafting rings.
  • Yue - EyrdaYue - Eyrda Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Your analysis has one big flaw: You're not taking profit into account.

I bet that in most servers, it's much much cheaper to get artisan and buy rings, than buying offhands and crafting rings.

Your post has one big flaw:

THIS THREAD IS -almost- 3 MONTHS OLD!

necromancers...

to bad there are not that class on FW, lot's of talented ppl to it in the forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]