test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pve Max area damage

lazypenguin1lazypenguin1 Posts: 26 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Class Discussion
Hey,

im looking for the best pve character who can deal most area damage total for mobs,
was thinking about mage or marksmen, but i dont really know who of all characters can do max area damage, so if you know who can do max area damage(endgame also) please tell me, also if 2 characters do same area damage, what the difference is, thanks!
Post edited by lazypenguin1 on

Comments

• MedicaVita - EyrdaMedicaVita - Eyrda Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey,

im looking for the best pve character who can deal most area damage total for mobs,
    was thinking about mage or marksmen, but i dont really know who of all characters can do max area damage, so if you know who can do max area damage(endgame also) please tell me, also if 2 characters do same area damage, what the difference is, thanks!

Mage is best by far. Lightning or Fire trees. Marksman class is broken and damage doesn't come close to a mage at end game.
  • lazypenguin1lazypenguin1 Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok thanks, and what has better area damage, fire or lightning?
  • herpd2derpdherpd2derpd Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok thanks, and what has better area damage, fire or lightning?
    Fire - because you have DoT and simply have quicker cast times. Lightning mages only catch up 75+ if they go crit damage build.
    edited September 2012
    alright thanks
  • Axym - LionheartAxym - Lionheart Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Mage is best by far. Lightning or Fire trees. Marksman class is broken and damage doesn't come close to a mage at end game.

I disagree, I out agro Fire mages all the time as a full burst. >.<
    Lightning usually only if they have 2 wings +

I grab all sorts of things too, so my area is definitely bigger than a mages.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As long as I'm captain, the rum shall never be gone.
    tinyurl.com/FWEmotes courtesy of Deltatroopa
  • homosimpsonshomosimpsons Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    depends on what you actually want. do you usually pair up with a healer ? do you want to pvp at some point ? do you want it just for botting orders where first hit aggro is important ?

if you don't plan to pvp, mm is a good choice. else go mage.
    edited September 2012
    ok so basiclly, the aoe is larger with a mm, but the damage of a mage is higher
    edited September 2012

spike damage is higher with a mage imho. With our burns mm have a lower but more steady aoe damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    so wich is more effective in pve mm or mage? or equally?

same gear lvl etc.
  • Trogotha - Storm LegionTrogotha - Storm Legion Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Mages:
    -Spike Damage
    -Damage based on max mp meaning Azures work just as well as Rages in gear

MM
    -Can turn the bread and butter aoe skills into 0s cd with the preferred Burst build even if only for a short period
    -AOE attack with the ability to drop resistances to Fire which is used by the other pve AoE damage casters (Inferno Vamp, Fire Mage)
    -Use of runes means we can give ourselves plus pt a crit chance and crit damage bonus
    -Longer range on all skills plus range bonuses in Burst for our aoe skills
    -Shield skill that lets us actually attack and thanks to recent patches actually works properly (and is considered OP by some)
    -None of the effects our skills generate reduce incoming damage *coughIcecough*
    -Longer lasting DoTs

I've managed to grab aggro from mages even as a Burst / Prec hybrid unless they were super op. But at that point, they can far more easily survive the aggro they generate which works for me since I can AoE with impunity.

As to the pve side of things, it can be pretty even depending on level in terms of overall damage but when it comes to spike damage mages will eventually win that contest at end game since the right combo of MM skills can give 20% bonus to both base and bonus damage but it's for a limited number of attacks and burns through a large amount of the soul clip unlike a mage who just needs the right debuffs on the target. The difference comes in the amount of status effects a MM can generate from a skill or skill combo that either up our damage or the pt damage as well as being able to do hybrid builds due to the way the various skill trees are laid out.

TL;DR version of the above paragraph: Mage smash keyboard! MM need to understand timing for buff / debuff usage as well juggling range and soul bullets in combat leading to more of a challenge.
    Dear PWE Staff: I can haz avatar nao plox? :D
    For SCIENCE (and the LULZ)!
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You do realize burns don't generate aggro though, right? :p

A Dyos fire mage for instance can get +14%/+16% perma crit chance in PvE (Fervor + Fire Shield, latter is with Fire Shield rune but is very rare) and +40% crit damage on AoEs. And for PvE purposes (with the talent making it more than 180) +225 mastery for like 15sec and way more burn.

You can't compare yourself to mages who are completely noobs/trash gearwise. If a mage isn't crit build, he's doing it wrong. Don't even compare to those.

This is of course talking PvE wise since that's what we're talking about right?
    edited September 2012
    ok so basiclly the perfect pve mage build,

1. fire

2. dyos

3. gear that ups critical damage/rate

so if you want to use gems on gear, only using crit + gems?
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ideal DPS of course would be, 2 Goldsparks, 4 Shattershards and 8 Ragefires. Possibly 8 Azures as well, but then you might be too squishy depending on your build. If you have 12/12 gear it's fine. You'll hit like a truck.

Of course, not so good in PvP cause you'll be too squishy.

Also you can get +50% crit damage on AoEs, if you have Infuriated Mind rune.
    edited September 2012
    You do realize burns don't generate aggro though, right? :p

A Dyos fire mage for instance can get +14%/+16% perma crit chance in PvE (Fervor + Fire Shield, latter is with Fire Shield rune but is very rare) and +40% crit damage on AoEs. And for PvE purposes (with the talent making it more than 180) +225 mastery for like 15sec and way more burn.

You can't compare yourself to mages who are completely noobs/trash gearwise. If a mage isn't crit build, he's doing it wrong. Don't even compare to those.

This is of course talking PvE wise since that's what we're talking about right?

1) Yes yes burns don't generate aggro, but I do still steal aggro from fire mages that don't out wing me on a pretty average basis. I don't think they're crit build, but I guess that's your point right? If they aren't crit build they are trash? That can get pretty pricey for the casual player. For fairly average casual-ish (as in very little to no cs) it's even imho.

Now for leaf exchange/gold farming yadda-yadda yadda to get the cs items (esp now there are gems in there) it is possible, but for the average person, it can take a while.

2. Dyos burst also has +base crit chance on all aoes. No buffs or nothing needed. Nyos gets +base crit chance on all skills, but buff dependent (which increases both chance and chance to get buff as fervor goes up) Not to mention Contact/Motivate runes which just boost all party members crit chance/damage (which is a much better buff than mage's mana to most classes)

3. Me and Trogatha aren't saying Mages won't kick our dps **** with spike damage, that's a given. We can however, continuously put out a large aoe (range wise) with decent damage. I can literally only hit fire aoes (and one earth for fire resistance lowering), without auto-attacking. While I haven't paid too much attention and my personal fire mage is lvl 48, I don't really think fire mages can claim the same. They can still have high aoe dps, but it's not continuous with the high burns. RoF goes off every other skill, inflicts normal damage and burn. That is where our power comes from. Will one RoF wipe a mob group out? No. Will we clear it faster than a fire mage? From my estimations, runs and yadda yadda it's actually about the same. We might take more skills, we might not.

4. Lightning mages are actually the ones that will take my mobs and wipe them out before me. This might be accredited to the low number of high level fire mages vs lightning or ice. But that's just my experiences.

5. My little dwarf is WAAAAAAAAAY cuter than your fire mages :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ixthuaixthua Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok so basiclly the perfect pve mage build,

1. fire

2. dyos

3. gear that ups critical damage/rate

so if you want to use gems on gear, only using crit + gems?
    0. Human.
    As for gems, goldspark > shattershard > bloodstone > ragefire > twilight / crystaline > azurecloud. Loosing 600 health for 75 attack is not worth, and lv4 azurecloud will only add 36 bonus damage to skills.
    For gear, crit chance > crit dmg > mastery > health > attack. Purple gear is 33% easier to get useful ID due to free re-id items from weekly quests and extra identified attribute. For a necklace, 12% crit dmg is almost as good as 2% crit chance, but cost much less.
    GoS set is not so bad for a mage because you can get those missing set bonuses from a good ID, and 95 mastery is a big add to damage, but takes far more time + money to get.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • plusonecharismaplusonecharisma Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As a maxed 80 Burst MM, I can tell you know that the best aoe class is a mage. Pure DPS leans toward fire. If I was to reroll a class, it would be a Frost Mage. What they give up in pure DPS they more than make up for in CC. When it comes to mobs, CC is better than pure DPS. That being said they are the ones I fear most in PVP and welcome most in my parties.