test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Putting aside the fun factor.(PVE)

skylarkinskylarkin Posts: 19 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Marksman Discussion
I'm currently lvl 75. Pretty much grade 2 gems on all pieces, 6/12 on all except weapon 9/12.
Rage everywhere, goldspark where it fits and then the shattershards.

Within the past week I've retalented from Full burst, Hybrid Burst, and presently full precision.
I havent tried Soul as I'm under the impression that it's all about pvp over there.

Thing is, I've been comparing an MM in its various tree equivalents.

Burst vs Mage
Prec vs Vamp/Sin/Wars or anything that pokes a hole in things.

Whatever CC or DPS you can think of a Burst MM can do, a mage probably does it better with either of its specs, lightning/ice where u get knockback/freeze or slows. No contest here. Won't even mention the damage. A burst MM however is great for botting if u have a partnered priest >.>

For prec, I'm assuming it's a given hey oh, it's a support class you know, helps boost damage :). Which brings to mind, if i needed more dps, bringing in a Sin or some other dedicated dps class would probably single handedly out do all the benefits a prec MM would be able to give.

So it begs the question. Is the MM just a fun class? It's not quite the jack of all trades, more like a grunt bystander. Circling the gutter if i should chuck this fella.

Sins take the top spot for sustained dps.
Warriors and vamps are up there. Don't forget high survivability and viable aoe.
And MMs are great for....

It just seems like just about every other class/talent besides a water bard brings more to the table in a PVE party.
Post edited by skylarkin on

Comments

• Axym - LionheartAxym - Lionheart Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Full burst:

I have never had any complaints from any of my parties about my dps or survivability (esp now that they fixed our sheild).

I have full tok set and lvl 1 wings (11/12 helm, 9/12 feet, shoulders and hands) In most of my parties I out dps the mage unless they are half to full purple, have higher wings and/or just a better player than I. I will admit that the resident lightning mage in my guild only has 2 purples and lvl 1 wings, but I honestly don't know what that kid does to get that dps, he's beast, but the rest of us, mages and mm's alike are pretty even on the playing field end game (tok + wings).

I've run instances paired with a pure prec mm and those seem to go by much faster than if a sin were with us, but maybe that's just the sins I play with >.>

Are we just a fun class? We're not well balanced compared to other classes no, we do have to work a little harder to be on even playing fields, but I think we can bring something to the party that other classes can't, just as a sin or a warrior bring different things to the party, warrior or prot, wind or light bard. It's all about your party make up and how you want to run the instance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As long as I'm captain, the rum shall never be gone.
    tinyurl.com/FWEmotes courtesy of Deltatroopa
  • skylarkinskylarkin Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Full burst:

I have never had any complaints from any of my parties about my dps or survivability (esp now that they fixed our sheild).

I have full tok set and lvl 1 wings (11/12 helm, 9/12 feet, shoulders and hands) In most of my parties I out dps the mage unless they are half to full purple, have higher wings and/or just a better player than I. I will admit that the resident lightning mage in my guild only has 2 purples and lvl 1 wings, but I honestly don't know what that kid does to get that dps, he's beast, but the rest of us, mages and mm's alike are pretty even on the playing field end game (tok + wings).

This is where my wishful thinking starts. In my experience with several MMOs, how horrible a class from the start, the shinier it gets when it reaches the end game. Maybe there's a certain gearing milestone before the class shines. I'll cajole myself into hanging on to this MM to see it to that end.

I've run instances paired with a pure prec mm and those seem to go by much faster than if a sin were with us, but maybe that's just the sins I play with >.>

Well this is where gear is again. With Encourage on I've got 3237 attack. Probably these numbers aren't big enough for percentages to translate into noticeable numbers when I shoot at things. I've asked random people before if they did noticeably more damage. But i guess random people play blindfolded. "huh?" says it all:rolleyes:

Are we just a fun class? We're not well balanced compared to other classes no, we do have to work a little harder to be on even playing fields, but I think we can bring something to the party that other classes can't, just as a sin or a warrior bring different things to the party, warrior or prot, wind or light bard. It's all about your party make up and how you want to run the instance.

We do bring something to the table. Problem is, we know an MM is slightly underpowered to get on par with other classes, yet not quite underpowered enough for all out QQing.

• yosiasyosias Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    when i was burst, i didnt have complains about going slow, and even when i got a mage in party didnt feel like he was doing more damage than me (while he wasnt winged)

and as full prec now, i feel that while sins do more damage, i can be more usefull since hunter mark reduce def and make the target gets more damage, and encourage gives the party a nice attack buff

i think marksman trees are for decide between single target or aoe, or you can hybrid both but whitout the buffs
    Isock-Soul marksman since 2011
    Tlatsotsonki-light bard
  • asd29asd29 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Burst mm rake's Dot is improved by mastery. Fire mage DoT is not. Your DoT is much much nastier than mages. With a decent offhand and reasonable mastery training your DoT will be doing way more damge to mobs than any other class. Mages DoTis just whatever they talent it for. Same with vamp aoe (TBC).

As prec in a pve sense you offer probably the most useful buffs after a wind bard. So while sins are top single target dps, if the whole party is affected by encourage+contact it's a no contest which squad will be generating more dps if everyone is similarly geared. eg Encourage gives at a minimum 50% of your acc as atk bonus to the entire party. There is no excuse as a MM to not have a minimum 450 acc at 75+. Also consider the resistance and def debuff of hunters mark and the pain mark talent. HMM One hard hitter vs everyone doing at least 20% more damage per atk? Remember a sin offers absolutely 0 buffs.

EDIT:
    In a Pve setting a MM is quite a good class, it has decent DD but the various buffs and debuffs make it quite good. However in a pvp setting it somewhat limited.
    As a level 80MM my advice for anyone wanting to be a MM - fun class to play. But it's not a button mash class. Be prepared for some frustration
    edited June 2012
    In response to you asking your party members about the damage difference, I can assure you if they don't notice it's because they don't have much to compare it to (limited instance runs) aren't paying attention (which happens 95% of the time I'm sure) or don't even know it's you doing the extra buffs! "Whoa! This wind bard has TWO atk buffs!" :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IaiStrike - EyrdaIaiStrike - Eyrda Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Full burst:

What's his mastery compared to yours? Mages have the highest inherent mastery bonuses and that's where our damage comes from.
    edited July 2012
    What's his mastery compared to yours? Mages have the highest inherent mastery bonuses and that's where our damage comes from.

I should ask the next time we're in party together because while I want to say 0, that's a pretty darn good explanation as any as to why he kicks so much more buttocks than... well, anyone, especially since on lionheart, masteries/resistance training is somewhat an after thought.... at least to a good 75% of the population, if not more.

I will say that I haven't even completed that challenge quest to get the training >.> I reaaaaalllly need to get on that...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ILikeBigGu - IllyfueILikeBigGu - Illyfue Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Precision do bring more to the table than any other class in a party. hunters mark and encourage is huge diffrence in the speed to take down a boss around 100 res reduced +8% additional damage alot lowered defense and incase u crit u can lower their crit dodge on the boss that is assuming its not ks partys which incase hunters mark is stupid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credits to BerenOneHand for the awesome sig

New arena video (2015/05/01):
    youtube.com/watch?v=o3_ds-W-Hpo