test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Opinions need it

sanhisaisanhisai Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2012 in Marksman Discussion
Hello guys i need your opinions about mm class, since i get bored with my other class, i thinking to start this class and try it out.Currently i am on 21 lvl and i say i enjoy it much but i need some opinions from you guys since i cant find them in one place cause i prefere more to read actually.So i decide to write and give me a help here if possible, so here are my questions:

1)Is it mm class decent in terms of pvp (arena meaning) and why? (if possible)

2)Are they really need it in instance or i will have hard time to find pt?

3)Is it enjoyable and easy solo in terms of pve or i die every step i go in higher lvls?

4)And what about gear do i have to spend a fortune or i can make up something decent as i aint aim to be nmb1 :)

PS:I am on a search to switch and till so far i find this class very nice so overall is it worth that keep in mind when you answer me.

Thanks in advance for you time to read and answer!!
Post edited by sanhisai on

Comments

• Trogotha - Storm LegionTrogotha - Storm Legion Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    sanhisai wrote: »
    Hello guys i need your opinions about mm class, since i get bored with my other class, i thinking to start this class and try it out.Currently i am on 21 lvl and i say i enjoy it much but i need some opinions from you guys since i cant find them in one place cause i prefere more to read actually.So i decide to write and give me a help here if possible, so here are my questions:

It can be, personally though I avoid pvp except Rift so I'll leave this one to more veteran folks who do focus on pvp. Take a look at the posts by Crum for some good info since he's been around since closed beta and seen it all just about.

As a Burst MM with a bit of Prec thrown in, I have never had a hard time finding a pt. Burst tends to be the more asked for since we're the only other aoe class. If you go Prec, just be prepared to explain that and deal with people being stupid about it. Also, Prots with Mass Taunt and Priests with the bubble skill are our best friends since those skills can save us from the mass amount of mob aggro Burst can generate. ;)

3)Is it enjoyable and easy solo in terms of pve or i die every step i go in higher lvls?
    We have 2 single target skills that have knockback that works 100% of the time against a target that has Hunter's Mark active. Use that in combination with having the longest range and you can easily survive most things barring bosses. Just don't think you can aggro a whole bunch of mobs at low levels like a prot or war and survive long. Also, keep up your gear in terms of it being level appropriate since we have some very low base stats. Since our aoes have a huge range, they're usually better left for times we're in a pt since our 3rd aoe comes at lvl 75 and our 4th is at 80 from a scroll.

4)And what about gear do i have to spend a fortune or i can make up something decent as i aint aim to be nmb1 :)
    Not really since shard gear works well enough up into the 50-60s. Personally, I didn't start using regular gear until I hit the lower 60s and then most pieces are usually in the few silver to few gold range. It wasn't until I purchased the lvl 75-77 set that I really spent much and even then I think I only spent ~2D total for the set. Just watch the AH and you can usually find some decent gear. Also, if you have awesome guildies then they may give you gear they find for free since our gear is so cheap at least on Storm, it's often not worth the effort to sell it.

PS:I am on a search to switch and till so far i find this class very nice so overall is it worth that keep in mind when you answer me.

MM is a very fun class to play but a challenge to play well since we can be fragile at times but that is usually easily avoided if we have a good tank and remember to stay at maximum range if possible to avoid aoes from bosses.

Thanks in advance for you time to read and answer!!

Responses in red and I'm sure my fellow MM players will correct anything they think is wrong. ;)
    Dear PWE Staff: I can haz avatar nao plox? :D
    For SCIENCE (and the LULZ)!
  • dr4koedr4koe Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    It can be, personally though I avoid pvp except Rift so I'll leave this one to more veteran folks who do focus on pvp. Take a look at the posts by Crum for some good info since he's been around since closed beta and seen it all just about.

Almost too hard to answer this... It depends on your server and what level you mean by pvp. At low levels, MM can be very good as an eva build because you have such a strong cloud (-acc aoe debuff), and most other people aren't stacking acc. As you get up in levels, this benefit gets lost quite fast as almost everyone can now hit you. And by going eva, you lose out on HP.

I've pretty much 'quit' my mm in favour of another class for pvp, because at high levels (at least on my server) you pretty much need a great priest. You just don't have the base HP to last long enough to do damage (I had around 30k HP). My main problems were sins and warriors, who essentially make your range useless. On other servers, it may be a different though. Our Soul Res buff was very nice, but I found it gets interrupted too easily when you have 2 enemies like a sin and warrior, or even sin and vamp attacking.

We have 2 single target skills that have knockback that works 100% of the time against a target that has Hunter's Mark active. Use that in combination with having the longest range and you can easily survive most things barring bosses. Just don't think you can aggro a whole bunch of mobs at low levels like a prot or war and survive long. Also, keep up your gear in terms of it being level appropriate since we have some very low base stats. Since our aoes have a huge range, they're usually better left for times we're in a pt since our 3rd aoe comes at lvl 75 and our 4th is at 80 from a scroll.

I'd say this depends if you have the right equipment. And by equipment, I mean a mount with combat license. When I was farming high level creeps for danger bounty, I literally had complete agro constantly (RoF had max targets)... But what I did was just fire and run a little bit as RoF cooled down. You're burn effect keeps agro quite nicely, so it should be super easy to stay out of range.
    4)And what about gear do i have to spend a fortune or i can make up something decent as i aint aim to be nmb1

Agree with Trog on this one... You shoulnd't need to buy gear until level 75+. If you're doing the main quest, they give you some nice stout gear - I rather use that green than shard... And you get 'given' gear at level 60/70 for free anyways that's blue... You're atk won't be the best, but it's so easy to level now. The 3 exceptions to this: 1) Buy a good pair of boots and get them 9/12 (make sure boots have high base). You can do this with the free stars you get. 2) Buy a weapon blue. You don't need to fortify it a lot, but they are so cheap anyways. 3) If you find a good shoulder, grab it. The rest of the gear won't make too much of a difference. (If you can, buy the weap/shoulder part of a set that gives atk for 2 pieces. I used a level 20 weapon until I was level 60 because it gave me more atk from set).

As a PvE toon, I love mm... Super versitile, and can add a lot to the party. You can out dps most classes with enough rune power as well cause of such high crit rate/damage.

For PvP well.. as I said, I quit it in favour of another class to use for 3v3. It had great damage but it has almost no cc prevention, and you need a proper team (pugging as an mm is quite painful). For rift, I do have a lot of fun with mm cause the range is much easier to utilize than in arena. And mm does decently in 6v6. But I mostly care about 3v3.
  • Zeryz - LionheartZeryz - Lionheart Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2012

If you're pro. You have really high dps which usually gets you targeted first, you get eva bonuses so going eva for pvp is the best way but you CAN go hp build. Our boots have semi low to the lowest base stats.

Burst=Pro Aoe, faster cool downs than a mage. Crit damage buff
    Precision=Pro buffs makes boss really fast. 8% damage increase and attack buff based off accuracy. Crit chance buff
    The crit damage and chance buffs you can get both if you get runes for them but you can't get both if you are soul if I'm not mistaken
    Soul=I don't know how they are in instance

Pve vs Mobs is alright Against bosses is near impossible to solo. Knock back and stun for prec. slow+DoT+stun for burst

Our gear is the cheapest out of all classes on Lionheart, prots might be cheaper

Making this a question.
    I think my MM is very fun to play. End game though when you have worked your buttock off to get level 3 wings, 100 earth and fire mastery and all crit chance IDs you'll regret it xP
  • sanhisaisanhisai Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Really thank you all for your time and efforts!!!
    You have cover all my q i make, answers was great.
    Be always well.
  • asd29asd29 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    [QUOTE=Zeryz - Lionheart;3554491
    Soul=I don't know how they are in instance
    [/QUOTE]

Soul vastly underatted for pve. And now that you can get a lot of the buffs from runes (Contact and motivate) one of the failures of soul mm in pve (no useful party buffs, acc is not needed in pve) have been corrected and soul also has the best soul resolution.

Why?
    1. You generate a lot of soul bullets and therefore have 20% more bonus damage more regularly
    2. Properly talented, almost all skills are at least 120% of base. Soul snipe at 130% Exo bullet at 130% (can't remember server down and can't confirm), Soul Discharge at 145%
    3. Highest natural crit chance and crit damage. 3% more crit chance under crackshot time. 9% more crit dmg under crackshot time

Evasion is not viable past 75+, well it kinda is but sadly quite ineffective. 1stly 360+eva is quite difficult to get. It takes a lot of reid's and a lot of sacrfifices in terms of hp. If you get hit you're more than likely near death or dead. If you're at any decent level of arena past 75+ you will be running into people with 600+acc so it's pointless and while you can pop smoke it's a 5 min cd so once per round more than likely once per match. Never mind the various evasion debuffs like Roar, Hunters mark, Taunt etc. Also Soul Resolution is now useful because it's HP based more hp the more chance you have to survive.

Remember because our gear is the cheapest we have more resources in theory to refine gear. So refining boots, Shoulders and weapon should take priority.
    As a level 80MM my advice for anyone wanting to be a MM - fun class to play. But it's not a button mash class. Be prepared for some frustration