test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to FW- Chosing a Class?

cachcach Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Class Discussion
**Update** - Stuck between Divine Priest & Light Bard. (PvE)

Are bard buffs really significant to parties? Do players ask for bards to party b/c of their buffs?

Which of the two survives best? Which is faster at killing monsters?

Thanks!!!

Can some verterans help me out? :) I'm new to FW, and I was wondering if y'all can give me a basic run-down of each role each class plays.

I'm assuming support classes are the bard and priest, which are the two I'm most interested in. Bard is more buffs and Priest is more heals, right?

I like the complexity of the bard class so far (the ordering of skills). Which classes are realistically most wanted in squads? What role does the vampire play (dd?) I ideally want a support class that doesn't have trouble getting squads and can solo decently. Any help appreciated! Thanks! :p
Post edited by cach on

Comments

• PEZ - EyrdaPEZ - Eyrda Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Bard > all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The servers are extended gutters and the gutters are full of nova packs and when the drains finally scab over, all the players will drown. The accumulated wealth of all their orb opening and +12 refining will foam up about their waists and all the noobs and elites will look up and shout "Thank you!"

... and I'll whisper "Rollback."
  • CuteNDeadl - Storm LegionCuteNDeadl - Storm Legion Posts: 2,401 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Its all about the talent tree you choose, and not the class. You could basically play as a DPS priest if you wanted to.
  • Sugarboy - EyrdaSugarboy - Eyrda Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    for priest imo divine is the most wanted tree spec for groups and light is favored for bards. i'm not saying that you shouldnt make a dps priest or bard its just that the role changes and often players would simply want you to "HEAL PLOX1!!1", not to mention this game's queuing system.
  • cachcach Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Queuing system? Hmm ok this seems nice and flexible, though I tend to go pure on one thing and stray little if any at all.

From browsing around, I do think I'm stuck between Divine Priest and Light Bard.

Three quick questions!:

1. Are the bard's party buffs significant enough to merit demanding a bard for a party *only* based on buffs?

2. Fastest PvE soloer? (Bard/Priest).

3. Most Durable PvE soloer? (Bard or Priest).

I think I can make my decision if I can answer these questions :D Thank you guys for responding!
  • TornSpirit - LionheartTornSpirit - Lionheart Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Light bards are generally wanted for combat res and offhealing; Priest handles most healing while bard tops ups the group, because Priest heals are single target (Minus Angelic Harmony but that's at high levels + for rich people), and Bards have AOE HoT. Buffs are just bonuses. If a group really only wanted the buffs, wind bard would be preferable; wind bards give a bit over double the buffs that the other bards give, and can debuff enemies as well.

For PvE, Bards would generally be quicker, assuming that you are going Light bard vs Divine Priest.

Durable PvE; well, priests just let their pet tank for them, lol. Can't really compare.
  • IMBALANZE - LionheartIMBALANZE - Lionheart Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    remember what I wrote regarding priest and bard in twilight~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by Luciferia
    I read CN
    drama aren't far from this siggy
    edited March 2012
    remember what I wrote regarding priest and bard in twilight~

In twilight? Can anyone direct me to that or give a link? :)

@Torn Spirit- Thank you very much! Those were the kind of answers I was looking for. It would seem combat res is a huge thing. I wonder how come the priests can not rez during combat. Don't all classes get a pet that can tank? Or am I mistaken in that? Thanks again guys! ;)
  • Acier - EyrdaAcier - Eyrda Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    cach wrote: »
    In twilight? Can anyone direct me to that or give a link? :)

@Torn Spirit- Thank you very much! Those were the kind of answers I was looking for. It would seem combat res is a huge thing. I wonder how come the priests can not rez during combat. Don't all classes get a pet that can tank? Or am I mistaken in that? Thanks again guys! ;)

Any class can get a tank pet but priests and blood vamps can easily heal theirs with direct heals. Then again divine rpiests need the pet more for attacking any mobs due to their low attack.
    edited March 2012
    That's cool that they can directly heal their pets! Hmm maybe I should just randomly pick one and go with it lol
  • Seremela - Storm LegionSeremela - Storm Legion Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Just gonna answer your questions in order from your update! c:

Are bard buffs really significant to parties?
    It varies on the instance you're in. They're always helpful, but not always needed. What Bards are more needed for are their heals. Priests are single-target healers. Priests have an AoE heal at starter level, but it has an insane 6 minute cooldown which can drop by getting talent skills that lower it. However, Bards have an AoE heal that starts out at 13(?) second cooldown and lowers with talent points! Bards can solo-heal if they know what they're doing, but Priest-Bard partnerships are usually what ends up happening throughout most of the game! Bards take care of everyone else and buffs everyone while the Priest focuses on the Tank and also helping out the Bard! [sorry for the long-winded reply! xD ]

Do players ask for bards to party b/c of their buffs?
    Refer to my first reply! Bard buffs are awesome, but not always needed for easy instances. For harder ones, yes! All the time! But mostly they're needed for heals as well as their buffs. c: What I'm trying to say is that you're not gonna see people asking on World Chat for a Bard just for their buffs. They're going to want the whole package: heals and buffs! For example: there is an instance called God's Trial. Its nothing hard at all. There are mobs that you go in and kill to get high amounts of experience and fast leveling. At a certain level, it'll become easy for you guys to kill the mobs without worrying about heals, so you can just keep up your party buffs. But it doesn't really matter if you keep the buffs up or not, the mobs are still dying fast. xD So, for easy instances, Bard buffs are more of like sprinkles on icecream: not necessary, but extra awesome to have! On the flipside, for hard instances, you will need to coordinate your buffs and heals at the same time. If you can't keep your defense Chords up with your heals, it could lead to problems. Bards aren't for people who can't multi-task well. You have to use certain skills in order to activate certain buffs. Each buff is timed, so you have to keep track of which chord [buff] you have active. Most/some of your buffs can be activated by using your heal, but some can't. So, just keep this in mind for when you start getting into harder instances. Practice finding the right order to place your skills on your hotkey bar. Write down notes if you have to! But once you get the general hang of it, learning new chords will become easy!

Which of the two survives best?
    So far, from my experience both Priest and Bard can be tied when it comes to survivability. My main is a priest, and she can take a considerable amount of damage. My bard isn't as high level, but she seems to be able to hold her own too. A more experienced Bard-player will need to confirm this, but over all, I believe a Bard has more survivability. Priests get a skill called Divine Shield which absorbs most--if not all--of incoming damage. This shield can be put on the priest as well as any other friendly target. I don't know if Bards have a similar kind of skill, but I think over all they have higher a defense output.

Which is faster at killing monsters?
    Bards, hands down. Unless you make your Priest for combat, you will have some trouble killing mobs [monsters]. Priests are meant to be healers and defenders first and hard hitters seconds. [Don't get me wrong, Priests! We can deal damage too if we want to!] So unless you're gonna have a friend level with you, Bard will be a good choice to go with. You can easily keep yourself healed, buffed, and kill fast. c':
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Signature by me. c: PM if you want one.
  • Falchoir - LionheartFalchoir - Lionheart Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    It varies on the instance you're in. They're always helpful, but not always needed. What Bards are more needed for are their heals. Priests are single-target healers. Priests have an AoE heal at starter level, but it has an insane 6 second cooldown which can drop by getting talent skills that lower it. However, Bards have an AoE heal that starts out at 13(?) second cooldown and lowers with talent points! Bards can solo-heal if they know what they're doing, but Priest-Bard partnerships are usually what ends up happening throughout most of the game! Bards take care of everyone else and buffs everyone while the Priest focuses on the Tank and also helping out the Bard! [sorry for the long-winded reply! xD ]

o.o wha? I didn't play a priest for long, but the starter AoE heal is definitely not 6 seconds. I think 60 seconds might have been what you meant.

Bard's first AoE heal is Sonata of Life, learned at level 30, with a 10 sec CD (shortened by some talents in the light tree) and 2 sec cast time. At level 55, the same level light bards can learn combat rez, we gain access to Baptism, our AoE heal over time "buff," activated with EED.

Regarding bards and buffs, some parties do want bards just for the buffs at higher levels- they're not necessary, but they do make things faster/easier. For instance, as a level 67 wind bard, my Courage buffs about 550 attack to every member of the party, adding 3000+ attack to the party as a whole, on top of the defense debuff I can stick on enemies with the Wind Shadow talent. A good friend of mine, a high-level priest, prefers to run with wind bards rather than light bards for the most part- according to her, there's a point where a light bard's heals become overkill on top of the priest's heals. Other priests are perfectly all right with me dropping Baptism/Majesty and focusing on DPS whenever the party's not in any trouble they can't handle. However, this applies mainly to priests with Angelic Harmony, the second AoE heal for priests, which has a short cooldown and is extremely hard to get. Even then, most random/WC parties prefer light bards, because with randoms, you'd want as much room for error as possible. Granted, it's possible for wind to solo-heal GT, GL, and possibly some others... but that's going off-topic.

Survivability... for general questing, both survive well, especially with a tank pet. I can't heal my pet despite having AoE heals (which I think is BS), but Self-Recovery I takes care of most issues. Even if your pet can't handle things, it's nothing some health potions and heals can't handle. I can count the number of times I've died to world mobs on one hand, and all were due to sudden lag spikes or disconnects. For instances, I've done fine with either class as long as I brought health potions and didn't catch aggro.

Killing monsters... well, it took forever for me to kill anything as a priest, but that was likely due to me auto-attacking to save mana. Anything goes down much faster if you're willing to burn mana, and have a strong DPS pet perhaps. I'll agree with Seremela that bards generally kill stuff faster than divine priests, though, due to attack buffs.

Anyway, I'm the wrong tree, but I hope that helped some. Best advice I can give is to try both and play what you like better. c:
    **Gone home to Tales Forum- follow at your own risk. T'was a good run, FW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    this spot in memory of my sister, who left after what was supposed to be a haven became a hell.
    I do not ask that we be worshipped or adored; all I ask is that you do not hate us.

Larale: Divine Priest - Falune: Light Bard - Falraine: Water Bard
    edited March 2012
    o.o wha? I didn't play a priest for long, but the starter AoE heal is definitely not 6 seconds. I think 60 seconds might have been what you meant.

6 minutes was what I meant! Thanks for pointing that out, it was rather late when I posted that~ Its either 5 or 6 minutes when you first by it. Either way, still insane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• francischutneyfrancischutney Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Bards are mostly wanted for the AOE heals.

Do players ask for bards to party b/c of their buffs?

Not really, just for the heals mostly, some people ask for Wind Bards though.
    The attack bonus from the bard's buffs could have been equal to just bringing a mage instead of the bard, so they're not really always needed. Majesty doesn't really make a big difference.

Honestly, I think priest. Priest can spam heals on themselves to stay alive and Divine priests have a good shield. Wind Bards have no heal or shield, Water Bards have a shield for 6 hits, and Light Bards have a long cooldown self-heal(compared to priest), that doesn't heal as much as a priest's either. Divine priests are actually pretty good in PvP.

Which is faster at killing monsters?

Bards are a little faster(Wind & Water), but Light and Divine are pretty much the same. Priests can have their pet tank, and heal the pet.

I think you should just try out each class, level them up to 30 and see which one you like more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~I very much enjoy this lovely game and wonderful people here~
    edited March 2012
    @Saramela- Thank you for that detailed post it clued me in to what I was needing to know! :) I appreciate you guys taking the time out for this.

@francischutney- I think you're right! I made my first character today and went with priest, solely because my cousin swore I would pick bard. (haha.) I got her to lv 20 within a VERY short amount of time, gonna try out the bard next, I already have a feel for the priest even at lv 20.

On the talent tree, for the divine priest anyway, are the majority of those passive skills? I can't seem to use them, even if I put a point in it. *newb* ^_~

thanks guys!
  • TornSpirit - LionheartTornSpirit - Lionheart Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    @Saramela- Thank you for that detailed post it clued me in to what I was needing to know! :) I appreciate you guys taking the time out for this.

@francischutney- I think you're right! I made my first character today and went with priest, solely because my cousin swore I would pick bard. (haha.) I got her to lv 20 within a VERY short amount of time, gonna try out the bard next, I already have a feel for the priest even at lv 20.

On the talent tree, for the divine priest anyway, are the majority of those passive skills? I can't seem to use them, even if I put a point in it. *newb* ^_~

thanks guys!

Only a very small amount of talents are skills. Level 30, 55 and 75 are the ones which give skills I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also; light bards cannot heal until level 30 when they unlock sonata of life. Keep that in mind.
  • noxshadow1noxshadow1 Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Honestly, I think priest. Priest can spam heals on themselves to stay alive and Divine priests have a good shield. Wind Bards have no heal or shield, Water Bards have a shield for 6 hits, and Light Bards have a long cooldown self-heal(compared to priest), that doesn't heal as much as a priest's either. Divine priests are actually pretty good in PvP.

This statement about bards is not true on several fronts.

Wind Bards CAN heal...we have Gentle Sway which increases Baptism's heal by 20%...and we also have Sonata of Life. Just because we don't heal often doesn't mean we can't. Since Wind Bards specialize more in damage output than defense, they are in fact the weakest defense wise of all three bard types.

Light Bard's self heal has a 100% chance to reset when a Hymn is cast. For that matter, so does Sonata of Life. They get this later in their tree. That means if a Bard knows how to play their skills in the right order, they can perpetually AoE heal the party (with the use of MP Pots) AND use their individual heal as well. On top of that, most Bard heals INCREASE the amount their heals, as well as other heals actually heal for, usually 15%.

Water Bard's Shield HEALS them...for a value equal to 6% of the bard's MP. That's about 1.2-1.6k per HIT. Also keeping in mind later level Water Bards can keep their shield up indefinitely in PvE...and for a decent amount of time in PvP (multi-hit skills will take it down faster)...

I'd say Bards on all fronts, when played correctly...have more than enough skills to keep them afloat in both PvE and PvP...
  • Hitoriki - EyrdaHitoriki - Eyrda Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    noxshadow1 wrote: »
    This statement about bards is not true on several fronts.

Wind Bards CAN heal...we have Gentle Sway which increases Baptism's heal by 20%...and we also have Sonata of Life. Just because we don't heal often doesn't mean we can't. Since Wind Bards specialize more in damage output than defense, they are in fact the weakest defense wise of all three bard types.

Light Bard's self heal has a 100% chance to reset when a Hymn is cast. For that matter, so does Sonata of Life. They get this later in their tree. That means if a Bard knows how to play their skills in the right order, they can perpetually AoE heal the party (with the use of MP Pots) AND use their individual heal as well. On top of that, most Bard heals INCREASE the amount their heals, as well as other heals actually heal for, usually 15%.

Water Bard's Shield HEALS them...for a value equal to 6% of the bard's MP. That's about 1.2-1.6k per HIT. Also keeping in mind later level Water Bards can keep their shield up indefinitely in PvE...and for a decent amount of time in PvP (multi-hit skills will take it down faster)...

I'd say Bards on all fronts, when played correctly...have more than enough skills to keep them afloat in both PvE and PvP...

This.
    Wind bards are the only real tree that has problems with survivability. Spamming hymn skills makes it really, really easy to keep yourself alive as a light bard. And if you're a water bard and whatever has you targeted can actually move forward, you're doing it wrong :p
    Xiryn: Human Fire Mage
    Hitoriki: Elf Light Bard
    Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it to the one who endures that the final victory comes.
    edited March 2012

You'll find that with every class, most of the Talent skills are passive or just enhance the skills you currently have. c: There are some skills that can be used. When you purchase them, a bar will pop up with the icon so you can add the skill to your hotbar! Other than that, if you don't see this happening, its because the skill can't be used. <3

Glad I could help!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• PsychoLolita - LionheartPsychoLolita - Lionheart Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Just a heads up on something to keep in mind with light bards. You do later get more than just the AoE heal. You can get a self heal skill, and a talent that will allow you to heal a small amount of HP automatically each time you use a light skill, even if your just attacking and setting up your buffs.

Just something to keep in mind