test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's Discuss Rangers (Archers)

wolfenstormwolfenstorm Posts: 134 Arc User
edited April 2018 in Class Discussion
I want to create one, but honestly I cannot right now.

Why?

Because there is literally no information on the forums regarding them.

Let us start with the trees. Which tree is DPS, etc.

Add whatever information you feel is pertinent regarding this new character in the game.

Comments

• stew675stew675 Posts: 250 Arc User
    I messed about with one, and found them to be "odd".

All the trees do good dps. It's also a bit hard to guage, because the skill descriptions do not reflect what the skills actually do much of the time. Some skills hit harder than what is written, and some skills hit multiple times when it says that they only hit once. There's all sorts of stuff like that going on.

Hunt is mostly definitely the best if you want to PvP, however the Nature tree can be strong for such too as it offers better survivability.

The SkyShot tree looks like it should be good for PvE and AoE damage, but many of the skills are actually very long cast times and appears to lack significant base damage boosts in the talent tree. The Hunt Tree appears to boost base damage on many of the AoE skills more, including reducing cooldowns, so tentatively I am going to say that Hunt is better than SkyShot for PvE

What lets Hunt tree down for PvE though, is that some of the dps boosts are only applied when killing other players, not monsters, and so it cannot reach its full dps potential in PvE.

Having said that, the lower half of both SkyShot and Hunt talent trees are more straight up PvP focused. Nature is more "support" however that "support" can boost your damage quite significantly.

Brambles is WAY more OP than what is described in the skill description. The Nature tree boosts that in many ways.

IMO, if I had to pick just one tree to focus on for PvE, survivability, support, and most everything, Nature would be it.

If looking to PvP, then Hunt for sure, but a strong Nature build would still be formidable

SkyShot, I tried it, all the way, and it just feels "meh". I have no doubts that on a maxed character it can still be strong, but that's true of almost any tree on a maxed character, but in my opinion it lacks what you want for PvP, and for PvE, it's a runner up to Nature.

All just my vague-**** 2c. I've not taken my pet ranger to end-game levels but that was just my experience from playing about with them.

• jennydw#8125 jennydw Posts: 2 Arc User
    i tried a ranger and was having fun...however i think i'm gonna ditch her. Like always full of bugs...espacially in the training camps...al orders are in Chinese? Really? and a lot more,too much to say and knowing that the developers dont care about it Maybe in a year or 2 they will be a little less bugged. I had to wait over a year with my tormentor when they finally fixed a critical bug....
  • raywicki#6580 raywicki Posts: 1 Arc User
    stew675 said:

I messed about with one, and found them to be "odd".

All the trees do good dps. It's also a bit hard to guage, because the skill descriptions do not reflect what the skills actually do much of the time. Some skills hit harder than what is written, and some skills hit multiple times when it says that they only hit once. There's all sorts of stuff like that going on.

Hunt is mostly definitely the best if you want to PvP, however the Nature tree can be strong for such too as it offers better survivability.

The SkyShot tree looks like it should be good for PvE and AoE damage, but many of the skills are actually very long cast times and appears to lack significant base damage boosts in the talent tree. The Hunt Tree appears to boost base damage on many of the AoE skills more, including reducing cooldowns, so tentatively I am going to say that Hunt is better than SkyShot for PvE

What lets Hunt tree down for PvE though, is that some of the dps boosts are only applied when killing other players, not monsters, and so it cannot reach its full dps potential in PvE.

Having said that, the lower half of both SkyShot and Hunt talent trees are more straight up PvP focused. Nature is more "support" however that "support" can boost your damage quite significantly.

Brambles is WAY more OP than what is described in the skill description. The Nature tree boosts that in many ways.

IMO, if I had to pick just one tree to focus on for PvE, survivability, support, and most everything, Nature would be it.

If looking to PvP, then Hunt for sure, but a strong Nature build would still be formidable

SkyShot, I tried it, all the way, and it just feels "meh". I have no doubts that on a maxed character it can still be strong, but that's true of almost any tree on a maxed character, but in my opinion it lacks what you want for PvP, and for PvE, it's a runner up to Nature.

All just my vague-**** 2c. I've not taken my pet ranger to end-game levels but that was just my experience from playing about with them.

I just joined so I don't know much. I tried all trees and found that Skyshot does great with Crit. If you're looking for a quick kill in PVE, Skyshot is the way to go. Not much is needed to get the best from the tree - just some gear that gives accuracy, phys mastery, and crit dmg and chance.

Hunt, as you said, is more for PVP as, like you stated, its max is gotten from player kills. But Hunt can be good for PVE as well, but not as good as Skyshot. That is due to the crit decrease. To correct for the that though, the tree does increase base damage. Another thing about Hunt is how intertwined Evasion stats are in the tree. To be a good Hunt Ranger, you need good Evasion. From my understanding, that's a bit hard to get.

Nature can be OP, I believe. Though the damage isn't the best of the three, it's not far off. Adding that given the work you put into your toon, the better the Jungle Guardian (you pretty much duplicate yourself re stats when you conjure them up). Then, they're the heals. They can be great if you have good attack; heals are dependent on attack. However, the cooldowns on the heals are terrible. That makes the Nature tree more of an "oh ****" healer versus "i see you need heals, lemme give a little touch up here and there". The heals, however, are over time. I am sky shot and my earth mastery (needed for nature) isn't as good as my physical mastery (needed for sky and hunt), and I didn't have the book of masteries at the time I tried it out. However, my heals went for 5 - 9k over time. With work on masteries and attack that can be way better.

I am currently skyshot. It is a easier play and easier to get the most out of. However, putting work into a Hunt Ranger can make it the best of the three trees. It'll just take time and money. But not everyone has those luxeries. So, Skyshot is good for those who want a quick kill while Nature is for those who want survivability.

Besides, Hunt tree skills look the coolest lol.
  • joahalexjoahalex Posts: 6 Arc User
    Just came back after being gone for a year or 2. Saw the Ranger was new and knew I had to try it. Found out that it has been around since April 2018? and this is the only information I found. Wow. Glad I found this much. It gives me something to work with. Thank you stew679 and raywicki.