test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does raw resistance stack additively? Are different values directly comparable?

mafa1inmafa1in Posts: 35 Arc User
edited July 2019 in Power Discussion
First of all, I know that the different forms of diminishing returns make it difficult to compare the effects of getting +resistance and that Invuln (used in my example below) also has a flat reduction which skews final performance.

What I'm wondering though is if the raw values are easily comparable? For instance, my Defiance tank currently gets +19% res per stack of Defiant! on him. If I were to switch to Invuln he'd get +52% +res from Invuln. Would Invuln + 1 stack of Defiant! from say Defensive Combo net me 52% + 19% = 71% +res versus 19% * 6 = 114% from Defiance?

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The answer is mostly yes. There are actually three types of damage resistance, each of which is additive:
    • Normal damage resistance is what you get from most sources (defense, defiant, invulnerability, type-specific effects on energy form passives, circle of primal dominion, etc). It is additive and represents a divisor -- so +100% total means you're dividing damage by 2.
    • Block damage resistance is given by blocking, some but not all block lingers, and a small number of other effects, such as the Warden Elusive spec). Like normal damage resistance it is additive and represents a divisor, it's just applied separately.
    • Avoidance is applied on a successful dodge, and is internally actually a divisor like the other two, but is shown on your character sheet as 100% - (100%/divisor). You get 25% for free, with additional bonuses from mostly powers. This 'add to a divisor' is why the +87% avoidance on masterful dodge doesn't actually give you 87% on your character sheet. Again, it is applied separately from the other two.
  • mafa1inmafa1in Posts: 35 Arc User
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!