test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Improve or lose

2»

Comments

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    They hope this new game will shore up the others as Neverwinter shored up Star Trek and Champions for the beginning of its run.

I’m afraid you have your cause and effect backwards. We’ve been told repeatedly by Cryptic that all live games fund their own development, with no revenue sharing. Meanwhile, simultaneous development of Neverwinter and Legacy of Romulus depleted Champions to near-death, not directly by revenue, but by staff levels. As the external IPs called All Hands On Deck, CO development ground to a halt and created an exodus of players that we’ve never recovered from.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    They hope this new game will shore up the others as Neverwinter shored up Star Trek and Champions for the beginning of its run.

I’m afraid you have your cause and effect backwards. We’ve been told repeatedly by Cryptic that all live games fund their own development, with no revenue sharing. Meanwhile, simultaneous development of Neverwinter and Legacy of Romulus depleted Champions to near-death, not directly by revenue, but by staff levels. As the external IPs called All Hands On Deck, CO development ground to a halt and created an exodus of players that we’ve never recovered from.

If that were true, then Champions online is where the wealthiest of players hang out. Over all the Cryptic game population, Champions represents roughly 4%. Would anyone at all care to explain how Champions can operate on 4% of the total budget from Cryptic Studios? I am not here to hold up a sign "The End is Nigh! Repent!" as the original poster. But I agree with them, that sometimes individuals can sometimes out perform a large company.

If I were more invested in Champions, I would be more concerned about this move on both Neverwinter and Star Trek. They plan to stop Windows 32 bit OS support in July. I haven't attempted to log into Champions with a 32 bit OS to see if the warning is on the launcher as well. To the best of my knowledge, Champions never got a 64 bit upgrade and still runs DirectX 9?

Champions should not have any issue either way, given x64's 100% backwards-compatibility. However someone made the decision to chop off their 32 bit OS users (probably less than 2%*) as they are not productive consumers based on owning an old PC. But as I stated above the entire population of Champions is under 4%, so the users here must be spending cash like mad men.

*Based on market research, Jan. 2019, Windows 7 32 bit OS users 1.58%.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    If that were true, then Champions online is where the wealthiest of players hang out. Over all the Cryptic game population, Champions represents roughly 4%. Would anyone at all care to explain how Champions can operate on 4% of the total budget from Cryptic Studios?
    Have you looked at the amount of new development we get?
    If that were true, then Champions online is where the wealthiest of players hang out. Over all the Cryptic game population, Champions represents roughly 4%. Would anyone at all care to explain how Champions can operate on 4% of the total budget from Cryptic Studios?
    Have you looked at the amount of new development we get?

Amen to that.

CO has whales, sure. But the only thing their spending can do is prevent the servers from being reallocated to another game and keep a couple of artists busy doling out costume sets every once in a while. Otherwise, we’ve been getting “new” endgame activities kitbashed from existing assets and a long, drawn-out series of meta adjustments. In fact, all of that talk about dropping 32-bit Windows support only for STO and NW strongly implies that they are getting a 64-bit upgrade and we are not, even though we’re supposed to be sharing the same engine. (And it’s a sorely needed upgrade for CO, if the LoD/draw distance problems I’ve been seeing with 32GB of system RAM and 11GB of VRAM are any indication.) So no, I wouldn’t put “wealth” and “Champions Online” anywhere near each other.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • they're not GETTING 64bit upgrades, they've HAD them for months now​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    they're not GETTING 64bit upgrades, they've HAD them for months now​​

Holy s***, they buried the NW announcement in the bottom of the patch notes, I can’t find any formal announcement for STO, and we’re still on 32-bit a g****** year later? I guess all that bulls*** about “every game benefits from our shared engine” was a lie. Why do I keep coming back to this dumpster fire of a service?
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I guess all that bulls*** about “every game benefits from our shared engine” was a lie.
    'Every game benefits' means that there are a non-zero number of shared benefits, not that all benefits are shared, and appears to be true. CO hasn't had a merge with the main code line since 2010.
  • nyghtshroude#9048 nyghtshroude Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    It's best to enjoy the game as it is, though I have stopped buying Zen until they create more stuff that to me is worth supporting. I mean it's a grind but I can eventually earn Questionite through playing daily missions. I might even create a Freeform or two with that entire purpose that does nothing but collect tokens, Questionite, etc and use them as the universal unlocker. I'd build them almost exclusively for Alerts.

I have to agree with @nyghtshroude#9048 about enjoying the game "as is" 64 bit will not improve the game. The track record (from what I have seen) is very piss poor on upgrades. The 10th anniversary is coming up this Fall, so I doubt they will do anything positive or negative until the event is done. Maybe they will hold off until Magic the Gathering is up and running? At that point, you will either get upgraded or ignored, I doubt they will drop Champions altogether.

I did test the 32 bit system and this message appears in both STO and NW, it did not appear on Champions and it continues to function well under both 32 and 64 bit OS.
    warning.png

My apologies, if I upset anyone.
  • the **** is owlbear? the first two shards are self-explanatory, but i've NEVER seen that shard before​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    64 bit will not improve the game.

Bulls***. I can turn the graphics settings up on my 64-bit Windows 10 rig high enough that the engine can’t handle the texture load in the bloody character select screen because it hits 32-bit memory limits.
    the **** is owlbear? the first two shards are self-explanatory, but i've NEVER seen that shard before​​
    The main server is Dragon, their preview is called Mimic, and Owlbear is a test server. I mainly stick to the main and preview for my purposes.

Bulls***. I can turn the graphics settings up on my 64-bit Windows 10 rig high enough that the engine can’t handle the texture load in the bloody character select screen because it hits 32-bit memory limits.

Games load into memory and that is where they play from. The graphics or Video RAM is separate, from the RAM used by the OS and application. Your video card and specs handles the video aspects of all gaming and DirectX needs. Processor registers are typically divided into several groups: integer, floating-point, single instruction, multiple data, control, etc.. Functions are often performed by more general purpose integer registers. In most processors, only integer or address-registers can be used to access memory in the RAM. The size of these registers limit the amount of directly addressable memory, even if there are registers, such as floating-point registers, that are wider. The 64-bit floating-point data and register format, and 64-bit integer registers can access more RAM. Whereas 32 bit is limited to 4 GB of RAM. I fail to see how ramping up your GPU on a 64-bit machine is "helping you enjoy it" as you should be allowing it to run as intended. But if that is how you want to play the game, so be it. Enjoy your game.

the **** is owlbear? the first two shards are self-explanatory, but i've NEVER seen that shard before​​
    The main server is Dragon, their preview is called Mimic, and Owlbear is a test server. I mainly stick to the main and preview for my purposes.

Games load into memory and that is where they play from. The graphics or Video RAM is separate, from the RAM used by the OS and application. Your video card and specs handles the video aspects of all gaming and DirectX needs. Processor registers are typically divided into several groups: integer, floating-point, single instruction, multiple data, control, etc.. Functions are often performed by more general purpose integer registers. In most processors, only integer or address-registers can be used to access memory in the RAM. The size of these registers limit the amount of directly addressable memory, even if there are registers, such as floating-point registers, that are wider. The 64-bit floating-point data and register format, and 64-bit integer registers can access more RAM. Whereas 32 bit is limited to 4 GB of RAM. I fail to see how ramping up your GPU on a 64-bit machine is "helping you enjoy it" as you should be allowing it to run as intended. But if that is how you want to play the game, so be it. Enjoy your game.

I have been developing Windows software for 25 years. Don’t you dare presume to tell me my fucking job.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Why u stop Win 7 support??
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I have been developing Windows software for 25 years. Don’t you dare presume to tell me my fucking job.

If you don't want people to respond to you, start a blog u3u
    spinnytop wrote: »

If you don't want people to respond to you, start a blog u3u

@spinnytop Some people only desire to be heard.
    @sistersilicon If you were working for me, with that attitude, you would not have a career. I still cannot fathom what I wrote that got under your skin. You are obviously in distress and need some remedial treatment. Using and resorting to vulgar language is uncalled for and shows a lack of respect for everyone here. Should you chose to respond, take time to explain yourself with tact and dignity.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Oh, I don't know about that, everyone needs to say each of those words at least 20 times a day to be healthy, if they don't, there's obviously something wrong with them.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I guess all that bulls*** about “every game benefits from our shared engine” was a lie.
    'Every game benefits' means that there are a non-zero number of shared benefits, not that all benefits are shared, and appears to be true. CO hasn't had a merge with the main code line since 2010.
    It think it's more about how stuff like how new dance emotes can get added to all three at the same time.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    > @flyingfinn said:
    > Why u stop Win 7 support??

Microsoft is ending Win 7 support in Jan 2020 so software developers have no choice but to end official support for their products installed on Win 7 when Jan 2020 hits.

Come Jan 2020 anyone who is still using Win 7 while connected to the internet is putting themselves at security risk anyway so realistically software developers don't want to deal with those factors that can have adverse effects on their applications.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    jennymachx wrote: »
    > @flyingfinn said:
    > Why u stop Win 7 support??

Microsoft is ending Win 7 support in Jan 2020 so software developers have no choice but to end official support for their products installed on Win 7 when Jan 2020 hits.

Come Jan 2020 anyone who is still using Win 7 while connected to the internet is putting themselves at security risk anyway so realistically software developers don't want to deal with those factors that can have adverse effects on their applications.
    I suppose that means Win 3.1 support is completely out of the question...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • galactickirigalactickiri Posts: 92 Arc User
    If you want to cause people to leave and seek other games which the people running them are less D%^& about. Then keep arbitrarily putting in changes that have no warranted or was never requested or wanted and was told not to do it and did it any way and refuse to change back because well you simply don't want to. This game is done once another better superhero game with much better graphics is up and running, i may have a life time sub to this but each year i play less and less due to this kind of stuff. As of now i only do events for the costume pieces and anything that unlocks account wide, because all the other stuff is annoying. I want to play the character with a aura or a look from the start not at the end of his levels, to only log in and grind for gold/silver recog. It is boring and tedious which is what this has become, all about getting to 40 fast to do the end game and get the recon gold/silver/nemess/what ever. I like the journey the climb to the top and the adventures and quest, the stories the challenges, the fun of exploring and learning new things and such. CoH had it's faults, but it had more missions, and content for everyone from start to finish than this has, do more of the lower level missions ad some variety to leveling. Do another start zone maybe include the bridge and have it on the other side. double the starting mission paths or quadruple them add some side missions random missions, a sewer craw for those who want a level craw vs foes. But above all improve the game play and add stuff that we would want, not what you think we want listen to a person who is a life time sub. I am just barely holding on to see if maybe the power sets are being fixed to open way for more and expanding if this is not the case then i like most may end up just moving on to the others who are on the horizon.

Going forward, good grammar and spelling lends a lot of weight to your argument. Example: Your one huge paragraph came close to giving me glaucoma.