test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

State of the Game

theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
As the title states, I would love for an official state of the game update.

It would be nice to hear how all of the changes over the past year have helped improve Champions Online. It would also be nice to have a general idea where things are heading. Is there any new content planned? What fun new power revamps can we expect to see next? What awesome ideas are being cooked up with the new emotes?

In 2016 we got a lot of exciting news and some really great updates. Each year since we have gotten less and less with some of the changes being extremely controversial.

How have past changes helped improve the state of the game and what should we be excited about in the future?
╔══╗
╚╗╔╝
╔╝(¯v´¯)
╚══.¸Menagerie

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    "Hey devs, give us ammunition to shoot at you with" :T​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    They've become pretty gun shy over the years. It would be nice if they would share more of their vision of what they hope to do and what they are trying to do (besides costumes in lockboxes). Possibly a lot of the ammunition could be taken out of the guns by the devs framing their communications carefully. E.g. "We hope this year to revamp the Force and Celestial sets and update the Mandraglore lair as was done with Andrtih." Note the use of "hope" here. Means that if for some reason they couldn't get something done it was not put forth as a hard promise that players could use to rail against them (of course some still will, but this deflates a lot of it).

Possibly players would be more excited about the game if they felt there was an actual plan the devs were following, instead of seeming to be almost random work (unless, of course, it really all is random and there is no overall plan; in that case continued silence is probably better).
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    > @spinnytop said:
    > "Hey devs, give us ammunition to shoot at you with" :T​​

I’m actually looking for a reason to continue spending money on the game. Right now i don’t have one.

> @jaazaniah1 said:
    > They've become pretty gun shy over the years. It would be nice if they would share more of their vision of what they hope to do and what they are trying to do (besides costumes in lockboxes). Possibly a lot of the ammunition could be taken out of the guns by the devs framing their communications carefully. E.g. "We hope this year to revamp the Force and Celestial sets and update the Mandraglore lair as was done with Andrtih." Note the use of "hope" here. Means that if for some reason they couldn't get something done it was not put forth as a hard promise that players could use to rail against them (of course some still will, but this deflates a lot of it).
    >
    > Possibly players would be more excited about the game if they felt there was an actual plan the devs were following, instead of seeming to be almost random work (unless, of course, it really all is random and there is no overall plan; in that case continued silence is probably better).

Yes, we need a reason to be excited! The part about continued silence does make it feel like there is no plan currently.
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
    Me too. We're actually really weird in that regard. A lot of the rest of the video game audience is currently going nuts about microtransactions, and here we are wanting more reasons to feed small payments into this game.

Of course, we all know what's gonna vacuum the money out of my pockets: cute anime costume pieces. You want more of my money? Watch Cardcaptor Sakura, or Fate/kaleid linear PRISMA Illya and just recreate whatever you see there.​​
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Michigan?
    > @spinnytop said:
    > Me too. We're actually really weird in that regard. A lot of the rest of the video game audience is currently going nuts about microtransactions, and here we are wanting more reasons to feed small payments into this game.

Exactly. I have invested a lot here over the years and would like a reason to keep doing so, as I’m sure many others would also.

Letting the consumers know the state of the thing they are investing in is a good way to encourage them to continue investing. It is a common practice.
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
    edited May 2019
    A state of the game is just as likely to be met with a bunch of people saying "I don't like any of this and unless you take it all back I refuse to invest any more money in this game". If a dev showing up in a thread to clarify something is giving the complainers more ammunition to denigrate them with, then a state of the game would likely be like giving them a fully loaded machine gun.

Then there's the reality that, in regards to what's coming up, there might not really be a state of the game. Remember that live stream Kaizerin was on where every question was answered with "maybe?" or "I can't say" or "we'd like to do that but we're not sure if we ever can" when it came to asking what was down the pipeline? I don't imagine that's changed at all, so laying out a road plan for us is just as bad of an idea as it was four years ago.

I mean sure, I'd like a state of the game, I just think it's a terrible idea. Sure, common practice and all that, but you also have to look at the specifics of our situation.​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
    > @spinnytop said:
    > Then there's the reality that, in regards to what's coming up, there might not really be a state of the game. Remember that live stream Kaizerin was on where every question was answered with "maybe?" or "I can't say" or "we'd like to do that but we're not sure if we ever can" when it came to asking what was down the pipeline? I don't imagine that's changed at all, so laying out a road plan for us is just as bad of an idea as it was four years ago.
    >
    > I mean sure, I'd like a state of the game, I just think it's a terrible idea. Sure, common practice and all that, but you also have to look at the specifics of our situation.​​

The lack of communication makes all of this appear to be true and that is disheartening.
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    I agree, there's so few players left now, that we can't reliably gather to get the cosmics down. Can't get anyone for TA. Need something new, or it's going to be RIP here pretty quick.
    [NbK]XStorm
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I agree, there's so few players left now, that we can't reliably gather to get the cosmics down. Can't get anyone for TA. Need something new, or it's going to be RIP here pretty quick.

Yeah it's a shame nobody does TA anymore.... said Foxi, and then 2 hours later was invited to a TA u3u​​
    I always assume people are doing TA and Eido(?) at midnight EST when I am long asleep.

As for state of the game, there are some things they could say that, I think for the most part, would not supply too much negative ammunition for the haters, and could give fans things to anticipate. E.g. they could say which power set is going to be revamped next. They don't have to say when (so they aren't committed to a specific release date), just what is next. Sure, if the say Earth than someone who really wants Archery next could have a forum rage tantrum, but nothing is perfect. Similarly, they could say which lair update is next (assuming that they can get Destroyer's Factory working properly).

I wish they would ask for input from players too (e.g. what kind of lock box themed costume would players like to see next), but that often seems to blow up in their faces, no matter the intentions.

Still, giving players something new to anticipate, instead of just guessing when the next event switch will be flicked on again, could have more positives than negatives if carefully handled.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    They've become pretty gun shy over the years. It would be nice if they would share more of their vision of what they hope to do and what they are trying to do (besides costumes in lockboxes). Possibly a lot of the ammunition could be taken out of the guns by the devs framing their communications carefully. E.g. "We hope this year to revamp the Force and Celestial sets and update the Mandraglore lair as was done with Andrtih." Note the use of "hope" here. Means that if for some reason they couldn't get something done it was not put forth as a hard promise that players could use to rail against them (of course some still will, but this deflates a lot of it).

Possibly players would be more excited about the game if they felt there was an actual plan the devs were following, instead of seeming to be almost random work (unless, of course, it really all is random and there is no overall plan; in that case continued silence is probably better).

Yes. I play Elderscrolls Online as well and why I keep coming back to it is because the developers create real reasons to. For instance in two weeks I get a new class. Champions is more random fixes and changes some we never asked for like the character select screen.

Champions is unique in how there isn't much current competition in the super hero MMO genre. If they brought City of Heroes back, I bet Champions would lose players. And by bring back I mean officially not on private servers. Champions is really the only game in town right now besides DCUO.

Sad state is that City of Heroes was a superior game to this.
    “Superior” is an opinion.
  • I give the game a year left before they take it offline. It's on live support
    Lol oh stop.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    I give the game a year left before they take it offline. It's on live support

Care to put a wager on that?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    I wager he won't. Much easier and safer to make snarky comments and hope that the illegal CoH private servers miraculously become legal.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Well, maybe with all that under the hood stuff in 2018 the game is getting closer to a state where they don't have to worry that they'll start working on something and then like 2 weeks in discover a critical issue that means they can't go forward. I wonder just how much stuff we might have missed out on because it just hit a wall before it ever even went on PTS. Like even putting stuff on PTS is a delicate situation for them because once we see it on PTS we're like "that's definitely going live". If theoretically there were something put on PTS that then didn't go live for like... a year, people would probably get really upset by that.​​
    PERSONAL GROWTH MAGNIFIERS NOW!!!!
    JwLmWoa.png