test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hero Selection Screen

Is there any way to revert to the old method of sorting by age? I can't express how much I dislike the new sort by last login change that was just enacted. At least give us an option to choose the sort method. If we could sort by age, level or last login, that would be awesome.

Answers

• nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 970 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    if people complained so much and they said it's gonna be forced, then I would suggest you guys consider finding ways around the new sorting, gonna paste some of my thoughts here from the discord:
    if anything, people have trouble managing an insane amount of characters (im talking over a dozen) I would recommend to do certain things
    like, a system outside of the game to help managing what each character has to do or need, you know?
    it becomes a need when you are handling so much information
    things like Excel or Access do help a lot
    and if people have a lot of time doing so many chars, it would be a good idea to dedicate time on doing that system
    for example, what do I do is the following:
    unknown.png
    this is an access file, a database
    since I'm focused on cosmics and gear, I keep scr gcr qnite vigilance
    all that sorts of things
    but I believe you can do this for roleplaying characters only, costume ideas, heck even pvp
    what im trying to say is that there's ways to actually managing a ton of characters, no matter what you do or what they show you in the game, you just gotta be creative.

If someone has troubles in making a system that works for them, hit me up with a message and I could help you.​​
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • shortbus#4297 shortbus Posts: 100 Arc User
    I was gonna buy more character slots, but not now. It is such a pain in the butt to find characters to play, I am not gonna pay to complicate it more.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    naciiito wrote: »
    if people complained so much and they said it's gonna be forced, ​​

where

How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I was gonna buy more character slots, but not now. It is such a pain in the butt to find characters to play, I am not gonna pay to complicate it more.

Ah yes, the old "do what I want or I won't spend money" tactic. I'm sure it'll work.​​
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    naciiito wrote: »
    if people complained so much and they said it's gonna be forced, then I would suggest you guys consider finding ways around the new sorting, gonna paste some of my thoughts here from the discord:
    if anything, people have trouble managing an insane amount of characters (im talking over a dozen) I would recommend to do certain things
    like, a system outside of the game to help managing what each character has to do or need, you know?
    it becomes a need when you are handling so much information
    things like Excel or Access do help a lot
    and if people have a lot of time doing so many chars, it would be a good idea to dedicate time on doing that system
    for example, what do I do is the following:
    unknown.png
    this is an access file, a database
    since I'm focused on cosmics and gear, I keep scr gcr qnite vigilance
    all that sorts of things
    but I believe you can do this for roleplaying characters only, costume ideas, heck even pvp
    what im trying to say is that there's ways to actually managing a ton of characters, no matter what you do or what they show you in the game, you just gotta be creative.

If someone has troubles in making a system that works for them, hit me up with a message and I could help you.​​

This whole setup here, is pretty awesome! I might consider doing something like this, so I can remember who burned their 3x cosmic rounds for that day already. For the sorting. I really do love that I can see all of my chars on the first page now, I have stopped ignoring the ones that got trapped on the second page, it's great.

[NbK]XStorm
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Not gonna lie, the urge to dig around and, uh...find some way to "patch it out" is overwhelming, but I don't want to violate the terms of service. :(
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, the urge to dig around and, uh...find some way to "patch it out" is overwhelming, but I don't want to violate the terms of service. :(

*head pats* It's time to move on. I mean hey, you don't really have that many toons anyway, and they're all spread around multiple accounts, so this isn't really a big deal for you anyway.​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    *head pats* It's time to move on. I mean hey, you don't really have that many toons anyway, and they're all spread around multiple accounts, so this isn't really a big deal for you anyway.​​
    I don't have any "toons" at all because I don't play disneyland online. :) That said, 3 of my characters are on 3 alternate accounts (including one who's only purpose is to sit in the powerhouse with no gear/stats/powers/etc for data collection purposes) but I actually have about 2 pages of characters on my main account. Since they get shuffled around all the time now, it's harder to keep track of who did what on a given week.

Creating a spreadsheet to track something that was easy to do without one prior to this change is asinine, but it might be the only option. It's a bad change, and bad changes need to be called out by people until something gets done about them.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Creating a spreadsheet to track something that was easy to do without one prior to this change is asinine, but it might be the only option.
    I've actually done that in STO. I don't update them regularly though. I'll make one and do a few things, then decide maintenance is more work than it's worth.

There is a big difference between this and STO. In STO it's not just the portrait that lets you pick them out of the list. It also has the name, level, and what STO has instead of character classes. Also, it's list form and doesn't use hexagons.

But, much of what I used the data sheets for was the things not part of the list. Such as what each character has collected.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited May 2019
    Since they get shuffled around all the time now, it's harder to keep track of who did what on a given week.

Them not shuffling around didn't make it any easier to keep track of who had done what. In fact, before the change if I wanted to keep track of who had done what I was locked into doing things in a certain order. Now I can do them in any order and still know who did what by looking who's at the top of the list, definitely a breath of fresh air for someone who wants to play whatever whenever they feel like it.

What method were you using before to keep track of who had done what that depended on the static character order?​​
    Them not shuffling around didn't make it any easier to keep track of who had done what. In fact, before the change if I wanted to keep track of who had done what I was locked into doing things in a certain order.
    Doing them in a certain order (working down the list) was an easier way to keep track of them, but the spreadsheet option still existed if you wanted to go all willy nilly. You were never "locked" into any specific order, so stop being silly.
    Now I can do them in any order and still know who did what by looking who's at the top of the list, definitely a breath of fresh air for someone who wants to play whatever whenever they feel like it.
    That works...until you need to log on one or more characters that have already done their things.
    What method were you using before to keep track of who had done what that depended on the static character order?​​
    Left to right, top to bottom. Since characters didn't play musical hexagons, the only thing I really had to remember or track was who last did their things. Not hard at all to increment to the next one down the list.
    edited May 2019
    Doing them in a certain order (working down the list) was an easier way to keep track of them, but the spreadsheet option still existed if you wanted to go all willy nilly. You were never "locked" into any specific order, so stop being silly.

Except that I was locked into that order because I used your method:
    Left to right, top to bottom. Since characters didn't play musical hexagons, the only thing I really had to remember or track was who last did their things. Not hard at all to increment to the next one down the list.

So you were in the exact same boat I was, so if I'm being silly then so are you. And now you're in the same new boat, meaning you can use the same method I do, which is "Pick any character to do the thing on next, and just look for where the first character you did it with is to know who has done it already". Simple, and just as much effort as the previous method since you only have to remember one character to remember your place. No drawbacks, only benefits.
    That works...until you need to log on one or more characters that have already done their things.

Eh? Why would that change anything? They're still going to be in the same part of your character list after you log onto them, the portion that contains all the toons that have done the thing already. What you're talking about would only be an issue if suddenly the game decided to sort those characters in the opposite manner that it's sorting all the others, and as far as I know that's not a thing that happens.

Like imagine we have a bucket full of marbles (characters), and every time you touch a marble (do the thing) it becomes buoyant and floats to the top (gets sorted to the top of your first page). Touching a marble that's already floating wouldn't change how it's sorted, it's still going to be sorted with the floating marbles.

Maybe you meant "have to log onto characters that haven't done the thing", but even there the solution is simple: do the thing while you're logged in with those characters.

Can you elaborate further what you meant with this? It doesn't really seem to make sense as presented. Thanks.​​
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    Character sorting is now hot garbage.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    Everyone in this thread be aware that in -game settings has a simple option to restore sorting by creation date. Just log in to any character toggle this back on, and you are good to go once again.
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    I think that option was added after any of the posts in this thread were made.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    I think that option was added after any of the posts in this thread were made.

Well, yes. I am specifically mentioning this for the people who may have left the game over this annoying issue. They can return now.