test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(Returning Vet) So that I understand this mess...

2»

Comments

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    soulforger wrote: »
    soulforger wrote: »
    I'd agree it would be rather annoying. But, at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised. Because I'd have already known that would happen, because I pay attention to the differences between the account types and what happens when you go from gold to silver. Sometimes, when people tell you to pay attention to the game, they are right. And in this instance, they are right.

To put it bluntly. If I paid into a monthly wine of the month club, and got wine sent to me every month. And if I suddenly stopped paying, should I be expecting wine still? The answer is, NO. I should instead expect no wine till I pay again. Might sound harsh, but, that is how things work in reality.

OK. Then I’m justified in scolding you for not catching up to what else I wrote on this thread, and you have no right to complain that you were scolded.

So, seriously, stop thinking you are in the right here, you aren't. You have failed to understand how things now work and now think you can just "scold" people that disagree with you? Grats, you do not understand how people work or how you should have handled the situation. By the way, I'm always told that when people resort to "scolding" and insults and such in a debate/argument, that is because they have no real way of disproving or "beating" a point being made. If I somehow offended you, for that is what it feels like, I'm sorry. But, your behavior is even worse. You had NO RIGHT or JUSTIFICATION to scold me when I am actually right on this matter. Why? Cause you are not thinking about what people that are disagreeing with you are actually saying.

What you wrote in your last paragraph is something I directly addressed in another post on this thread. Go find it yourself. Then maybe, maybe, you’ll find my point in scolding you, too.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    Maybe its better not to become so emotionally invested in the toons? I have deleted and rebuilt my FF countless times. Lvl 40s all geared up not to mention countless ATs. Its a game subject to a host of hurdles. Everything changes and if you take a long break from a game you should expect that. Sorry about the loss of your toons. R.I.P.
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Nope. What I would be surprised at is seeing that instead of the $15 it previously cost to play all of those characters I had to pay $20 EACH (key word) to be able to play them now. That's the part that the OP was shocked about, so why ignore that KEY point in your question?

See this is why it gets the responses it does. You say $20 EACH, but you leave out the fact that that's permanent access, while the 15$ was for just one month. You're trying to present it as if you have to pay more now, when that's technically not true because the entire pricing system has changed. Eventually people just get tired of pointing out the same thing over and over again to people making the same false claims over and over again. Yes, 20 bigger than 15, but also forever longer than one month.​​

I absolutely get all of that. And you aren't "wrong". But you are completely missing the point. Yes, it is true that $100 (the price of "unlocking" 10 FF characters at $20 each) is less than $180 (the price of paying $15 per month for 12 months). No one is denying that math.

But the part you are so completely missing is "human" element to this scenario. If a person says to themselves "you know, I think I'll check out this game I used to play", that person isn't thinking about an EXACT amount of time (like 1 year) that they are *possibly* going to play. They just want to check it out again.

And if upon logging in they see it would cost them $20 *EACH* (key word, so don't pretend it's only $20 we're talking about) to play their old characters when it previously only cost $15 *TOTAL* (another key word) to play them all, that is a major shock and turnoff.

That is the situation the OP found themselves in. And their is nothing "wrong" with being sad/disappointed by it, or saying so here on the forums. I get people having a tendency to white knight and defend things they like, but give the guy a break. He did nothing wrong.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    The OP took a long break from the game and then acts as if his/her loyalty to CO was violated after returning. Awesome! another returning vet complaining about the inevitable change that comes from a game industry that is in constant flux. A game with a skeletal staff and a dwindling player base trying to show some profit to keep it alive for another year. The OP asks for a lot considering. I mean how important can the toons be if they where left for years with no one playing them?
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    But the part you are so completely missing is "human" element to this scenario. If a person says to themselves "you know, I think I'll check out this game I used to play", that person isn't thinking about an EXACT amount of time (like 1 year) that they are *possibly* going to play. They just want to check it out again.

No... wow I feel like I responded to this exact thing already but whatever, I'm not missing that at all. Someone who doesn't plan out specifically when and how often they're going to play benefits immensely from permanent access. If that person decides to only play for 1 week, then 75% of that 15$ goes to waste. None of the amount paid for FF slots or LTS ever goes to waste in that fashion since it's not a block of time like subscription, it's forever. Letting you play whenever you want and not making you worry about fully utilizing the entire block of time you purchased absolutely speaks to the human element - subs on the other hand might force people to act more like machines min/maxing their playtime rather than just casually playing whenever they feel like it, you know the way video games played by humans are supposed to be.​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    People playing ATs can do all content in the game, so there's really nothing to the claim that you have to have FFs immediately upon returning. It's a preference, not a need.​​
    Pyretta Blaze, for example, is an Inferno, one of the old free ATs. She cleared the entire storyline, and (of course) is sitting at lvl 40. She could probably do a lot of the "endgame" stuff too, but I'm not really into ending the game... :wink:
    I attempted to tank Mega-Destroids today on the character I created for the Defender's Training initiative. :D I didn't manage to hold aggro vs the Megas but I didn't get KOed at any point.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Nope. What I would be surprised at is seeing that instead of the $15 it previously cost to play all of those characters I had to pay $20 EACH (key word) to be able to play them now. That's the part that the OP was shocked about, so why ignore that KEY point in your question?

See this is why it gets the responses it does. You say $20 EACH, but you leave out the fact that that's permanent access, while the 15$ was for just one month. You're trying to present it as if you have to pay more now, when that's technically not true because the entire pricing system has changed. Eventually people just get tired of pointing out the same thing over and over again to people making the same false claims over and over again. Yes, 20 bigger than 15, but also forever longer than one month.

Wow what a logical and well thought post.

Get it the heck off from the "SUBS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" discussion​​
    Post edited by ph0toncann0n on
  • wolfgamerwolfgamer Posts: 2 Arc User
    Just returned after not playing for a little over a year, I wanted to get back into the game and went to pay my monthly sub and found this mess, now I can't play any of my already created characters unless I pay $300 for a LTS, wtf. There was a reason I only paid the $15 monthly, I don't have $300 to blow on a game, so does this mean I can't ever play my characters again without paying for $300 or making one of the awful **** pre-made classes. This whole things confusing any just feels like a mess.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    wolfgamer wrote: »
    now I can't play any of my already created characters unless I pay $300 for a LTS, wtf.

Incorrect. They really should make this more obvious to people, but well I guess that's what the forums are for.

You can use empty Freeform Slots to turn a normal slot into a Freeform Slot. So in the character select screen you select the normal slot ( which is a normal slot no matter if it has an archetype or one of the freeforms you used when you had a subscription ) and then click the Upgrade button on the right.

So, to regain use of your characters you can EITHER purchase a lifetime sub OR purchase FF slots. There's a 3 pack of them that's a pretty good value. Wether LTS or slots are the better value comes down to math.​​
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    I would like to say that I am also a player who returned recently after being absent for years and years. Not only could I not unlock my previous characters, I couldn't even FIND them... I think the account I used was a 'Cryptic' account and not migrated over to Arc.

But here is the difference between me and the OP. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone else to keep all my stuff for me forever and at their expense. I enjoyed playing while I did. I am hoping I will continue to enjoy playing now. And that includes from the beginning. How is making a wholly new character in a wholly new account vastly different from an alt on an existing one?

Would it be nice if I had all that other stuff? I suppose. So much is different now that I'm not sure there would really be any point. In a sense, even if the OP got all his characters back he wouldn't have them back - the powers themselves have changed, crafting has changed, equipment has changed... everything is different no matter what. If the game was so terrible that I was completely unwilling to start over, I wouldn't want to play at all!

Your mileage, of course, may vary.
  • jakeesanjakeesan Posts: 32 Arc User
    Wow. I cant imagine defending this s*** model. So someone like me who has played since early access and has close to 30 characters has to pay 600 dollars to keep them all? Piss off with this.