test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Munitions help for a noob

paneth48paneth48 Posts: 31 Arc User
So I really liked the soilder AT playstyle and converted it to a FF.

Super Stats:
Primary: Ego
Secondary: Dexterity and Recovery

Level 1: Steady Shot
Level 1: Submachinegun Burst (Wall of Bullets, Extra Bullets)
Level 6: Holdout Shot (Rank 2, Stim Pack)
Level 8: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Concentration
Level 14: Gatling Gun (Rank 2, Listen to Reason) OR (Rank 2, Sheer Force)
Level 17: Retaliation (Rank 2)
Level 21: Assault Rifle (Rank 2, Uncompromising)
Level 25: Killer Instinct
Level 30: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Frag Grenade (Cuts and Scrapes)
Level 40: Sniper Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Aggression (2/2)
Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
Avenger: Surprise Attack (2/2)
Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

I more or less copied one of Criswolf09's Free AT builds but so far the only thing I've changed was the energy builder (sad I know) so to the questions.

1: Can Free Form improve upon this? If so, how?
2: Is there a pirate smg costume? Or I'd settle for some sort of steampunk one I just don't whant sci-fi or modern.
3: Could I possibly fit some 'magic' type attacks in there without really screwing up the flow of the build? Would any of them even be useful?

The AT build itself fits my solo playstyle nicely, so any help or suggestions would be welcome. Only stipulation though is I am not a fan of AR, it sounds petty but I really don't like the look or feel of it.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    FFs are a general improvement, even if just for the extra power slots, but also for being able to choose the SS's, role, talents, powers, and specs freely. I don't know about weapon skins for that theme, but a steampunk one may be available.

Anyways, AR is your main single-target attack there. Unless you are replacing it w/ TGM, then I wouldn't drop it. Most 'magic' attacks won't be as much use to a Muni dps build, though you could get things like block enhancers or other misc stuff like threat wipes, reses, or CC powers from those sets w/o it impacting your Muni attacks that much. Here's an example FF build for it:

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=31&n=&d=15730bNPWQXa00000080008A0m8D0099038E008K05K5038R038H08ON01MG018T038O031L000ckr3BIR2MGB50000000000&e=

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Gunslinger
    Level 1: Submachinegun Burst (Wall of Bullets, Extra Bullets)
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 8: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Killer Instinct
    Level 14: Gatling Gun (Rank 2, Listen to Reason)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Assault Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Mini Mines (Stim Pack)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Sniper Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Thundering Return
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Mini Mines can heal you w/o them needing to be tripped, so I threw them in there. Gears mostly for Ego, w/ some Con and Rec.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    One sorcery attack that does have some synergy with muni is Hex of Suffering, which is a good DoT that is also a click fear for the SMG adv.
  • Options
    Yea, that could work, though Hex is limited to 50ft so it'd mostly be for SMG to help make up for its low base dmg.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    Question: Why con over dex? I thought dex would have been better for crit chance. Survivability?
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    You could go Ego/Dex/Con and get a bit of Rec through Talents.

If you want a little 100 ft. Magic you could go for Will-o'-the-Wisp w/ Ghost Fire for some Clinging Flames and Fear. Might be more useful than Thundering Return. You could swap in Imbue for LnL and put some of those adv points elsewhere.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I think I'm understanding a bit more via the dps guide posted here, you want a main 'damaging' stat (In this case either ego or dex) and 'Energy' stat (am I getting that right?) which would be rec or Int, and a 'Defense' stat, in this case con. So choosing Dex and ego I would either be hampering energy recovery or the amount of HP I would have UNLESS I geared for it? Am I on the right track here?

Also I noticed Hold Out shot with stim pack was removed, I assume it was just in the original AT build for that whole reason and it being replaced with an actually dedicated healing power made it a waste of points?
  • Options
    bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    The division you've made into damage, energy, and con stats is a good way to start with freeform building. The most important qualification to that is that your "damage" stat is really whatever your form stat is, but for ranged that can always be Ego or Dex anyway due to Concentration and Chilled Form.

Once you get more into advanced building, you probably won't follow those rules as much, due to the different ways you can get benefits from stats. For example, only one of my dps has Con as an SS b/c I find I don't need it for survivability so I pick another stat to help my damage. And since you mentioned taking both Ego and Dex, several of my characters actually have that combo, both for the Ego spec tree and so I can get a small boost to crit while stacking my form. But that's more stuff to consider when you get more comfortable with freeform, and the rules you've given youself shouldn't lead you astray as long as you stack your form.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    The thing about energy stats is: base damage (whatever you use to scale your form) and crit chance are always useful. Energy management is super useful up to the point at which you can continually attack without using your energy builder, after which it is completely useless. This means you want to figure out the minimum amount needed to attack without your energy builder. It's also important to remember that your form grants energy -- roughly 1 energy per 10 stat points, no more than once per 4 seconds.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    paneth48 wrote: »
    Question: Why con over dex? I thought dex would have been better for crit chance. Survivability?
    Yes. I figured you would want the extra leeway as a 'noob', but you can build more as a glass cannon if you want. You can get pretty high crit via gear, 6th Sense, and Guardicator specs as is that rolling KI shouldn't be much of an issue either way (and you still have energy coming from your toggle/form regardless).

In this case, Gatling is prob the only somewhat costly attack; once you get decent gear it shouldn't be too hard to afford things, and then you can allocate more into stats other than Rec/energy. Also, there's other dps setups that can work here too, like taking DEX PSS w/ Chilled Form (instead of Concentration), or INT/Dex/Con_Rec or DEX/Int/Con_Rec with Concentration (Int focus, either way). Usually there's multiple SS options that can fit a powerset's build; mine was just one example.
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    My main dps was an assault rifle type. And I would advise taking howl, if theme permits. Howl is the only way to stack furious at 100', It also refreshes furious stacks. Stacking up furious vs bosses using smg can be a real pain, since the % chance to apply furious is low and "per target".

You also want gatling with listen to reason to refresh furious and armor piercing on tap.