test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I Pay-2-Win?

Around November of last year I paid 108$ to upgrade my tank's Confront mods from rank 7 to rank 9.

Am I pay-2-win?​​

Comments

• nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Yeah, those mods are insane expensive, I traded a depleted core for 2 9s for my tank when I was reworking it.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    2 Confont r9 are good enough to pay.
    BTW I have 8 toons with full r9 mods. Am I pay-2-win?​​
    2rcibx.jpg
    o3o
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I'd say you are pay-to-keep-the-game-afloat.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Well, you're definitely pay, but I'm left with the same question as always when that accusation is leveled at certain games - "to win" what, exactly?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    What about all those scurvy wags who spend money for costumes and then win prizes at costume contests? Pay-towin?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Posts: 68 Arc User
    Winning... definitely in the eye of the beholder.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    tumblr_n1hk05mhWV1s7wpvto2_500.gif

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    You pay

Game keeps running

We win​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Lypfgea.gif

Thank you for subsidizing the game for everyone else.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »

Am I pay-2-win?​​

Yes.

Thank you for your service.

I hope it was worth it for you.

After all it's your money so spend it on whatever makes you happy \o/

• beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I've got a few rank 8s I've made by fusing rank 7s...

does that make me a chump?

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »

no that makes you not crazy u3u the vast majority of mods are not worth buying up to rank 9
    aesica wrote: »
    Lypfgea.gif

Thank you for subsidizing the game for everyone else.

Where's that guy who went nuts when me being a whale was mentioned... was it soulforger? I forget. Get that guy in here!​​
    2rk2rd.jpg
    We get AOPM buff stats bonus in most Cosmic fights so R7~9 nearly doesn't make any change.
    Except for confront. o3o
    monaahiru wrote: »
    We get AOPM buff stats bonus in most Cosmic fights so R7~9 nearly doesn't make any change.
    Except for confront. o3o

And the damage ones a little bit u3u​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    And the damage ones a little bit u3u​​
    Confronts have the greatest relative effect (going from r7 to r9 is likely a 5-10% increase in threat output, while r7 to r9 damage is typically about 1% damage), but they're on a less valuable effect.
    But at Cosmic fight under AoPM support buffs with the end game DPS build, toon with 'Nemesis's Heirloom gears' score very similar like as GCR gears plus damage bonus Mods.
    High rank mods effect good only at solo or 5 ppl team run. Except for Confront.
    But I like to feed my toons with r9 mods vewy much.

My new INT max NW-magic build with r9 / DUC can lowers by -98% magical damage resistance in total at solo run. I feel so smart. o3o
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

no that makes you not crazy u3u the vast majority of mods are not worth buying up to rank 9​​
    Yeah, each of the first few ranks has more effect on your stats than going from 6 to 9 does. Seriously, here's the numbers for a stat mod:
    Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3 Rank 4 Rank 5 Rank 6 Rank 7 Rank 8 Rank 9
    +39 +44 +48 +51 +55 +57 +62 +64 +66
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • shredmonkey#6879 shredmonkey Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I see any progress paid for with real money that can be obtained in game without real money as pay to win.... So, by that definition, you paid money to win. But thats ok...its how, they pay the bills, here... And it isn't a real big boost anyway.
    I see any progress paid for with real money that can be obtained in game without real money as pay to win.... So, by that definition, you paid money to win. But thats ok...its how, they pay the bills, here... And it isn't a real big boost anyway.

I also paid for everyone I'm tanking for to win o3o I guess... I recently tanked an Ape on my ranged tank without any Confronts slotted u3u so maybe I didn't even pay to win for myself​​
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    In this game, either way it is pay to win. Literally everything involving time is pay to win around here. You could either spend X hours working to make some dough to buy what you want. Or, you could spend time grinding it out to get the same thing. Maybe you like playing better than working, so the fact you need to spend 19 hours playing to get something you could work for and buy in 2 hours, but either way, it's all just time. The point being, what is the difference between grinding it out in game or grinding it out in the cubicle?

- - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User

no that makes you not crazy u3u the vast majority of mods are not worth buying up to rank 9​​
    Yeah, each of the first few ranks has more effect on your stats than going from 6 to 9 does. Seriously, here's the numbers for a stat mod:
    Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3 Rank 4 Rank 5 Rank 6 Rank 7 Rank 8 Rank 9
    +39 +44 +48 +51 +55 +57 +62 +64 +66
    There are a couple of reasons I'm perfectly happy with using R5 mods in most of my slots.

1) They provide a solid amount of stats for soloing
    2) They're plentiful
    3) Upgrading them beyond Rank 5 is expensive compared to the benefit you get
    4) Upgrading from Rank 4 to 5 is no issue with a crafting skill of 400

The main exception is vehicle mods which get an extra effect on Rank 6.
  • > @pwestolemyname said:
    > shredmonkey#6879 wrote: »
    >
    > I see any progress paid for with real money that can be obtained in game without real money as pay to win.... So, by that definition, you paid money to win. But thats ok...its how, they pay the bills, here... And it isn't a real big boost anyway.
    >
    >
    >
    > In this game, either way it is pay to win. Literally everything involving time is pay to win around here. You could either spend X hours working to make some dough to buy what you want. Or, you could spend time grinding it out to get the same thing. Maybe you like playing better than working, so the fact you need to spend 19 hours playing to get something you could work for and buy in 2 hours, but either way, it's all just time. The point being, what is the difference between grinding it out in game or grinding it out in the cubicle?

The opposite of "pay to win" is "play to win." Play to win means you progress by playing the game,and achieving in game rewards.

The purist gamer would say you need to earn your progress by playing the game. So, yeah, grinding ingame content for 19 hours and working in a cubicle for 2 hours for money to buy progress are complete opposites.

Again, I have no issue with what the OP did. But if you are asking if it meets the definition of pay to win, the answer is yes.
    So what did I win btw? Do they mail that to my in-game mail or....?​​
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    So what did I win btw? Do they mail that to my in-game mail or....?

Porch Pirate already got yer prize.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"