test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm sorry, but why is "APEX" an restricted word? (For Crhs/Costumes)

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Apex was apparently a character from Marvel's Avengers Arena series, so s/he falls under the heading of "potential trademark issues".
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    1123641.jpg
    o3o​​

Serious balloon-thighs going on there.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    one of the first things google turned up. his abs also appear to be...doing something unnatural.​​
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    There's also Howard Chaykin's Power and Glory way back with one of the main characters (a Superman pastiche) called Apex. And then of course Squadron Supreme's Ape-X.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    In any case, between dictionary word, low profile, and years out of print, it's probably excessively cautious, but they don't update those lists much.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    I think it's more likely because of the CoH character called Apex...

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Apex
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Katy_&_Timothy_Bashir_(Earth-616)

Some other thing I found, might be what Jon mentioned.​​
    That's why I said s/he - the character apparently could transition between physical genders at will. (Didn't read it, so I have no idea how the character self-identified, or if that even applies when it's twin siblings time-sharing a body.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    But it shouldn't, since it's a word with a meaning not a name like Superman or Defender.....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    But it shouldn't, since it's a word with a meaning not a name like Superman or Defender.....

Aint the only blocked thing like that.​​
  • tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    Defender is a word with a meaning...

de·fend·er
    /dəˈfendər/Submit
    noun
    a person who defends someone or something.
    "a defender of family values"
    synonyms: protector, guard, guardian, preserver; More
    (in soccer, hockey, and other games) a player whose task it is to protect the team's goal.
    BRIDGE
    either member of the partnership that did not win the auction.

A lot of times there is not really much rhyme or reason to what is blocked and what is not. I have tried to use names that were blocked that I had no idea why. For some of them I was able to find an obscure comic book character that used the name, for others... nothing.
  • jonsills wrote: »
    Apex was apparently a character from Marvel's Avengers Arena series, so s/he falls under the heading of "potential trademark issues".

my thanks
    Psi.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    A lot of times there is not really much rhyme or reason to what is blocked and what is not. I have tried to use names that were blocked that I had no idea why. For some of them I was able to find an obscure comic book character that used the name, for others... nothing.
    Well give me a list and I might be able to puzzle it out. One thing to remember is that "Apex" being blocked will also block "Capexla"...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    And to be clear, this is more a trademark issue than copyright. Just sayin.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    If you copy right, then you don't have to trade Mark o3o​​
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    Ape X is also an established Champions online character that you face along with Overmind in Canada
    @Powerblast in game
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    flyingfinn wrote: »

Except, "Defender" is actually a word that has been around far longer than the Champions character. In short, it is also a word with a meaning and not an actual name. Just used as a name in Defender's case. So, not really a good enough reasoning to unblock the word. In truth, they should just unblock lots of words/names, due to them being words and names, as long as people are willing and do actually report clones, there really wouldn't be an issue. As long as someone's "Superman", is not DC's Superman, than, I'd have no issues with the name.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    How about Apexus for your superhero name?

• pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    1123641.jpg
    o3o​​

I am not kidding you guys, I literally own that comic book.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    Apex, along with many others that should be selectable, are odd, but, makes sense. On the other hand, "Jerk" can be used just fine...or at least, it was at one point. Saw a person with that in their name.
    edited December 2018
    Why wouldn't jerk be usable? .-. I don't remember Marvel printing any issues of Jerk Man.​​
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Jerk could be a derogatory implication
    edited March 2019
    Like u could be Ironcock the Ironman meets Rooster look.​​
    Post edited by ph0toncann0n on
    could make a joker homage called The Jerker.... well... maybe not.​​
    On it!!
    He could do the silly dance! That looks like he is jerking
    Why wouldn't jerk be usable? .-. I don't remember Marvel printing any issues of Jerk Man.​​

Cause Jerk is an insult and "cuss" word. No other cuss words can be used as far as I know.
    FWIW I just checked, and "Jerk" would be an acceptable character name.

I think cuss word is a bit of a stretch...​​

Not really, cuss words are nothing more than words that are typically meant to be used to either hurt others are express frustration. Some though, have become so overused that they are used in normal conversation without any thought about them. And typically, when people use the word "Jerk", they are using it for three reasons: An insult, a type of food, or type of actions. In fact, despite the fact that it is an insult, due to it's other uses, that is most likely why it is allowed.

But, if we go that line, in truth, virtually every cuss word and derogatory word was/is not an insult or cuss word. Most of them have a meaning that is not something you would consider to be an insult or cuss word. Yet, due to how we ended up using the word in everyday language, they became insults and cuss words.
  • lan#8253 lan Posts: 34 Arc User
    If you copy right, then you don't have to trade Mark o3o​​
    Not true. The two are vastly different animals. Also, copyright is automatically given upon creation, not something you actively do. Names can never, ever be copyrighted. They are too short to get this protection. Trademark is an exclusive license to operate business using a certain word, phrase, image, etc.
    edited January 2019
    soulforger wrote: »
    But, if we go that line, in truth, virtually every cuss word and derogatory word was/is not an insult or cuss word.

So you're telling me that if I go up to my neighbor and their kids and I say "Yeah, that guy was a real jerk" that they're going to respond the same as if I said "Yeah, that guy was a real f*** b****"? Cause you go ahead and do that and then we'll see if all cuss words fall in the same category o3o
    lan#8253 wrote: »
    Not true. The two are vastly different animals. Also, copyright is automatically given upon creation, not something you actively do. Names can never, ever be copyrighted. They are too short to get this protection. Trademark is an exclusive license to operate business using a certain word, phrase, image, etc.

You gotta look at the spaces man o3o there's a reason they're there. If you still don't get it, ask Mark about it.​​
    But, if we go that line, in truth, virtually every cuss word and derogatory word was/is not an insult or cuss word.

So you're telling me that if I go up to my neighbor and their kids and I say "Yeah, that guy was a real jerk" that they're going to respond the same as if I said "Yeah, that guy was a real f*** b****"? Cause you go ahead and do that and then we'll see if all cuss words fall in the same category o3o
    lan#8253 wrote: »

You gotta look at the spaces man o3o there's a reason they're there. If you still don't get it, ask Mark about it.​​

Like I said, which is obvious that you missed, due to how we used them, they became insults and cuss words. If we never had used them the way we do, they wouldn't be insults and cuss words. Maybe, try thinking about what is being said a little more. After all, I wasn't saying they are not insults and cuss words. I was just pointing out that the history of most insults and cuss words shows they were, at one point, not insults and cuss words. But, nice way to not stick to my point and try to make a point that did not exist.
    edited January 2019
    Like I said, which is obvious that you missed, due to how we used them, they became insults and cuss words. If we never had used them the way we do, they wouldn't be insults and cuss words. Maybe, try thinking about what is being said a little more. After all, I wasn't saying they are not insults and cuss words. I was just pointing out that the history of most insults and cuss words shows they were, at one point, not insults and cuss words. But, nice way to not stick to my point and try to make a point that did not exist.

See, now you're acknowledging that there is a difference between insults and cuss words. Now take it one step further and acknowledge that Jerk is not a cuss word ^_^

As a bonus step, acknowledge that the word jerk has uses other than as an insult.​​
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Apex, along with many others that should be selectable, are odd, but, makes sense. On the other hand, "Jerk" can be used just fine...or at least, it was at one point. Saw a person with that in their name.

While Jerk can be used as an insult it is not a profanity and therefore not a swear word or cuss word.
    There is a huge difference between a word that can be used as an insult and a word that is considered profane.

See also: Creep, Scum, Goon, Meanie, Weenie, Stinky, Idiot, Dummy...and so on.

Surely if those words were profane they would be censored by this forums profanity filter and also not be allowed in CO.

and that is because...
    fSjv7aY.jpg

but potentially insulting words that are not considered profanity are obviously allowed. Will some of the words I listed above become profanity in the future? Who knows...that isn't our problem nor is it the issue being discussed here.
    Post edited by beezeeze on

See, now you're acknowledging that there is a difference between insults and cuss words. Now take it one step further and acknowledge that Jerk is not a cuss word ^_^

As a bonus step, acknowledge that the word jerk has uses other than as an insult.​​
    Jerked Chicken, Jerked Pork, Jerked Pineapple. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    They're ahead of you:
    And typically, when people use the word "Jerk", they are using it for three reasons: An insult, a type of food, or type of actions. In fact, despite the fact that it is an insult, due to it's other uses, that is most likely why it is allowed.
    In fact, the post you quoted when you wrote that just was essentially an entire paragraph doing the very thing you're asking for, and begins with a dig at you not reading well enough before replying.

But this is a very weird discussion. I don't think I've ever heard anyone argue that "jerk" is an actual cuss word. Wonders never cease, I guess.
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    But this is a very weird discussion. I don't think I've ever heard anyone argue that "jerk" is an actual cuss word. Wonders never cease, I guess.
    Defining it as profanity? nope, never seen that. Yes, many usages are mean-spirited and bad, but it's often used as a substitute for stronger choices.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    beezeeze wrote: »

While Jerk can be used as an insult it is not a profanity and therefore not a swear word or cuss word.
    There is a huge difference between a word that can be used as an insult and a word that is considered profane.

See also: Creep, Scum, Goon, Meanie, Weenie, Stinky, Idiot, Dummy...and so on.

Surely if those words were profane they would be censored by this forums profanity filter and also not be allowed in CO.

and that is because...
    fSjv7aY.jpg

but potentially insulting words that are not considered profanity are obviously allowed. Will some of the words I listed above become profanity in the future? Who knows...that isn't our problem nor is it the issue being discussed here.

Actually, to some people, it is considered profanity when used as an insult. And, that right there is the real problem. How different people view different words. No one has the right to dismiss another's view point if a word used in one way is profane or not. In that department, it becomes opinion. I've met plenty of people that do consider jerk to be a cuss word, so, I've stopped using it altogether unless it is obvious that it wouldn't be used as an insult.
    edited January 2019
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    They're ahead of you:
    And typically, when people use the word "Jerk", they are using it for three reasons: An insult, a type of food, or type of actions. In fact, despite the fact that it is an insult, due to it's other uses, that is most likely why it is allowed.
    In fact, the post you quoted when you wrote that just was essentially an entire paragraph doing the very thing you're asking for, and begins with a dig at you not reading well enough before replying.

I've had this discussion before with others, I decided to just stop arguing against them and just tell people that others consider the word to be a cuss word. After all, not all cuss words were considered cuss words at first, it took a long time for many before people considered them to be cuss words. And even than, some words some people still do not consider cuss words.

I mean, what makes a cuss word a cuss word? Simple put, it is a word that either a swear word, or a derogatory word. Now, I'm sure most of us now what swear words are. But, what about derogatory words? Do you truly know how to spot them? A derogatory word is a word being used that shows low opinion of someone, or detracts from the character or standing of something, to put it in the simplest terms. And when used as an insult, jerk is indeed doing just those, you are expressing a low opinion of the person and detracting from the person's character in some fashion. Those, when used as such, Jerk is used as a derogatory word, which in turn makes it a cuss word. At least, that is how those that view the word when used as such think of it.

In truth, when it comes to our forms of insults and whatnot, we more or less have basically given each one a imaginary number that lists its impact and "swear power", so to speak. In short, how hurtful they are. And because of that, many people do not consider certain words to be swears or derogatory, even when used as such, and, at the same time, some people consider them to be swears or derogatory, even when they are often not used as such.
    Profane:
    adjective
    1: characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious.
    2: not devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated; secular (opposed to sacred).
    3: unholy; heathen; pagan: profane rites.

Words have meanings, people! "Offensive to me personally" =/= "profane" =/= "obscene".

edited January 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    Profane:
    adjective
    1: characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious.
    2: not devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated; secular (opposed to sacred).
    3: unholy; heathen; pagan: profane rites.

Words have meanings, people! "Offensive to me personally" =/= "profane" =/= "obscene".

hm...that makes me wonder where the word profanity comes from than...if not from profane...than where?

Ok, it came from profane, which, has a meaning that doesn't really fit with what profanity means...oh well. Than again, in a way, profane works just as well, for, if my guess is correct, most people that get offended by cuss words, at least I've noticed, have been religious people. *Shrugs*

Words have meanings, and no one knows why some words have the meanings they have despite their origins not having related meanings.

As for Spinny...well, grats, you proved nothing. Good job, much wow, want a cookie for proving nothing? Just because a word is not part of blocker that blocks words that are not profanity, means, NOTHING. For, my point, had nothing to do with the forums, but, rather, for use as names in the game. So, again, you proved NOTHING.

Meanwhile, my point still stands, and you cannot prove it wrong. After all, you are arguing opinion vs opinion, and, unless it is about something scientific, such, as the Earth being round, there is no right and wrong answers when it comes to opinions. But, you also proved my point about not being able to read things fully, than again, most people here already knew that about you.

So, good job on proving nothing. Are you done with putting up straw men arguments? I'd rather deal with people that can actually put up REAL arguments. In short, tired of your childish behavior.
    "Profanity" means "language which is profane". Just because people choose to remain ignorant, and to refer to mere vulgarity as "profane", doesn't change the meaning of the word - at least, not until linguistic drift comes into play, which it hasn't yet.

And the original point was a claim that "jerk" was a "cuss word", a colloquial reference to profanity, just because it could be used as an insult - a point which has been plentifully disproved in this thread, as well as by the fact that "jerk" is not censored by either the name filter or the rather comically oversensitive vulgarity filter in this very forum. Getting angry at either spinny or Merriam-Webster wins no points.

There's really no need to be a jerk about it.

edited March 2019
    Comment removed by moderation​​
    Post edited by ph0toncann0n on
    After all, you are arguing opinion vs opinion, and, unless it is about something scientific, such, as the Earth being round, there is no right and wrong answers when it comes to opinions.
    I'd rather deal with people that can actually put up REAL arguments. In short, tired of your childish behavior.
    You claim that your argument is un-disprovable because it's your opinion. Which removes it's worth as fact and thereby makes your argument invalid for the basis of telling someone else they're wrong.

No, that wasn't the intent of that statement, and you know it. I was just pointing out that no one can disprove the other due to a clash of opinions. But, nice try to spin something to which is not.
    edited January 2019
    "Profanity" means "language which is profane". Just because people choose to remain ignorant, and to refer to mere vulgarity as "profane", doesn't change the meaning of the word - at least, not until linguistic drift comes into play, which it hasn't yet.

And the original point was a claim that "jerk" was a "cuss word", a colloquial reference to profanity, just because it could be used as an insult - a point which has been plentifully disproved in this thread, as well as by the fact that "jerk" is not censored by either the name filter or the rather comically oversensitive vulgarity filter in this very forum. Getting angry at either spinny or Merriam-Webster wins no points.

Seriously, I wasn't even the first person to suggest that Jerk could be used in inappropriate ways. And the way I said it in my first post wasn't actually claiming it to be a cuss word, but, was indicating that it could be taken as such. I did say: It is an insult and "cuss" word.

When quotations are used like that, it typically means they are not really meaning it is what is in the quotations. IE: I was just saying that it is an insult, and that some people out there do take it as a cuss word. In reality, I shouldn't have responded the way I did after that. So, to everyone that got involved after that part, I apologize...except to Spinny, your behavior does not justify an apology to you Spinny. If you want one, you need to apologize to me first.

So, can we please just drop this.