test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Did Power Revamps Slow Down?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited September 2019 in Champions Online Discussion
So lately many people have been feeling like framework revamps have slowed down and that it's taken an unusually long time for new ones to come out. I wanted to find out if this was true, and if it was just how true it is. So I went digging through old PTS patch notes, specifically looking for the first time that patch notes were posted for a given revamp. Here are my results:

Heavy Weapons_________________March 2016
Bestial__________________________May 2016
Whole Bunch____________________July 2016
Sorcery_________________________September 2016
PA/Laser Sword_________________November 2016
Munitions_______________________January 2017
TK______________________________June 2017
Electric_________________________Augest 2017
Fire____________________________November 2017
Unarmed_______________________January 2018
Single Blade____________________June 2018
Darkness______________________February 2019
Might__________________________August 2019

***List last updated 5/17/2019***

Note that the "whole bunch" entry refers to that one time that we got like 3 pages worth of power changes to a great number of power frameworks all at once, and that it also includes the things that Darkness and Infernal got, which really nails home that those were not revamps, which is why I'm not listing them separately. I'm also including it because of just how big it was, and because it added a lot of changes to things that affected all frameworks simultaneously, so I would say it effectively counts as a revamp of its own. So let's throw some numbers around.

2016 - 6 revamps - 1 revamp per 2 months
2017 - 4 revamps - 1 revamp per 3 months
2018 - 2 revamps - 1 revamp per 6 months
2019 - 2 revamps - year not complete yet

Yup o3o that's a pretty decisive downward trend, especially considering we're only halfway through the sets. However it does put a question mark on the theory that the subscription change caused things to slow down. 2016 also brought us the cosmic revamp, the qliphotic warzone, TA, and the nightmare invasion. 2017 brought us High Noon. It's clear that the downward trend in activity had already started in 2017, and by the time 2018 hit things were already in low gear. We had already gone many months without a power review by the time the subscriptions change hit and overall the year was already looking like it was being devoted mainly to updating events.

So yes, power reviews have definitely slowed significantly, but the reason why is still likely unknown to us. Maybe they decided to devote a year to "under the hood" changes. Maybe they changed their process and are spending more time cooking things before putting them on PTS. Maybe DOOOOOOOOOOM O3O. Or some other possibility.​​
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 297 Arc User
    Fighting claws + dual blades should be their top priority, because they have yet to remove the inherent rush buff from Dragon's claw and Dragon's wrath. Maybe they have it in the works? A fix to Shadow strike (highly bugged) would be great, too.
  • Fighting claws + dual blades should be their top priority, because they have yet to remove the inherent rush buff from Dragon's claw and Dragon's wrath. Maybe they have it in the works? A fix to Shadow strike (highly bugged) would be great, too.

As much as I want certain other powers to exist, I agree that claws needs the most attention, with Might being second and Archery as a possible third.

I have Shadow Strike, why do you say is it bugged?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Fighting claws + dual blades should be their top priority, because they have yet to remove the inherent rush buff from Dragon's claw and Dragon's wrath. Maybe they have it in the works? A fix to Shadow strike (highly bugged) would be great, too.

While I might agree, it has been stated that those sets are not next. I say I might agree, because an argument can and has been made that there are sets that need attention way more.​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Huh. I hadn't tabulated the data, but I've been feeling like there has been quite a bit of slow down this last year in revamps and content in general. Almost feels like dev time is being put elsewhere now. Really hard to say without communication from our dev team, and I've no idea if they are allowed to say anything about the slow down.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • spinnytop wrote: »

While I might agree, it has been stated that those sets are not next. I say I might agree, because an argument can and has been made that there are sets that need attention way more.​​

If claws isn't next, I hope it's Earth because that powerset is severely underwhelming compared to the earth powers from the other superhero MMO.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    If claws isn't next, I hope it's Earth because that powerset is severely underwhelming compared to the earth powers from the other superhero MMO.
    DCUO has earth powers? I don't remember any of those.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    DCUO has earth powers? I don't remember any of those.
    Time to spy on Rival MMO
    It does
    https://youtu.be/3NinM8mGakY​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    Tier list for revamp status.

Emergency Tier - Claws
    Priority Tier - Earth, Archery
    In Need Tier - Wind, Force
    QOL Tier - Telepathy, Might, Gadget, Dual-Blades, Celestial
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Maybe the next set is something Kaiz doesn't really like and that's why it's taking so long.

Or she's being postponed by the higher ups.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • No, the superhero MMO that no longer exists.
    No, the superhero MMO that no longer exists.
    It's ok, you can say City of Heroes
    https://youtu.be/9gDM9Lqqb3E​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    yeah, who doesn't love cox?

• shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    You mean the MMO zone always talks about besides Sidekicks Online (DCUO) ? :^)
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • beezeeze wrote: »

Devs cause whenever I say it here on the forum my comment is deleted.
    beezeeze wrote: »

Devs cause whenever I say it here on the forum my comment is deleted.

You um... hm... there was a uh... there was a bit of cheekiness intended in beeze's comment I believe... sort of a winky face situation.​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    s-l300.jpg
    requested by @spinnytop​​
    edited December 2018
    Lezard is the kind of person you can count on. He's like an abbacus o3o​​
    All right now for non troll post
    Tier list for revamp status.

Emergency Tier - Claws
    Priority Tier - Earth, Archery
    In Need Tier - Wind, Force
    QOL Tier - Telepathy, Might, Gadget, Dual-Blades, Celestial

I kinda agree with most of this, but would make a few changes:

Priority Tier - Claws, Earth
    In Need Tier - Archery, Wind, Celestial, Telepathy
    QOL Tier- Gadget, Dual Blades, Darkness, Might, Force

Claws and Earth both are priority but for very different reasons.

Claws is a set that has been overperforming for the longest while. It is a mistery why it was left alone for so long when PA was immediately revised when it was overperforming. Dragon Claw builds, even when done wrong, can hold their own against optimized Ranged DPS builds, the damage vs charge time is way overpowered, and it has no energy problems. Nerfing Dragon Claw however (which is what I interpret Stone meant with Emergency Tier) would leave the FC tree in a state similar to the QOL tier, ie. the FC tree only has what 3 or 4 powers? none of which have synergy with each other and one of them having an inbuilt harmful mechanic for raids. If FC is tackled at all I'd rather it's done properly by adding a debuff, some manner of AoE/Utility and an Ultimate.

Earth on the other hand...for the longest time I thought either Gadgeteer or Archery were the sets in most need of a revamp, but after recently messing around with the Earth tree trying to make a DPS...it's an absolute and complete mess. It's just a disaster from conception alone. It's only saving grace is Quicksand, and even then there are other equivalent more mobile options available.

If we were to stick to in-frame only, then Earth currently:
    -has half it's powers tagged as melee (meaning they scale with Str) and the other half, including it's strongest attack Cave In, tagged as ranged (meaning they scale with Ego.)
    -has a form (Enraged) that increases the damage of Melee attacks primarily and ranged attacks by a lot less
    -has no EU, nor does any of it's powers proc any other existing EU (with the exception of MSA), and it can't make good use of Unstoppable due to it incresing Melee and Bleeds foremost
    -it's block has no additional effect by itself (only minor synergy with Fissure)
    -it has no Ultimate
    -if we were to assume it's intended as a Tanking set, it possess no additional threat generating potential, and the only Tanking utility skill it has, Fissure, is very underwhelming

Thus, if you want to make a semi-reliable DPS build you have to:
    -Stack Ego or Int
    -Take either Concentration or Chilled Form
    -Take either MSA or an attack that would proc another EU
    -Take NW (cause Earth Form is very lackluster and follows the progression curve of Ranged Passives) or Quarry
    -Take a frigging grenade or pistol power or run up close and elbow slam/kick/punch to apply a crushing debuff since the set doesn't have one

All options that are not intuitive at all with what you would expect from a powerset from the BRICK tree.

The In Need Tier all need their damage brought up to what's currently the meta standard

The QOL Tier needs to get some additional powers to vary the options available a bit, and perphaps also work on the synergy of the set.​​
    edited December 2018
    lezard21 wrote: »
    If we were to stick to in-frame only, then Earth currently:
    -has half it's powers tagged as melee (meaning they scale with Str) and the other half, including it's strongest attack Cave In, tagged as ranged (meaning they scale with Ego.)
    -has a form (Enraged) that increases the damage of Melee attacks primarily and ranged attacks by a lot less
    -has no EU, nor does any of it's powers proc any other existing EU (with the exception of MSA), and it can't make good use of Unstoppable due to it incresing Melee and Bleeds foremost
    -it's block has no additional effect by itself (only minor synergy with Fissure)
    -it has no Ultimate
    -if we were to assume it's intended as a Tanking set, it possess no additional threat generating potential, and the only Tanking utility skill it has, Fissure, is very underwhelming

Thus, if you want to make a semi-reliable DPS build you have to:
    -Stack Ego or Int
    -Take either Concentration or Chilled Form
    -Take either MSA or an attack that would proc another EU
    -Take NW (cause Earth Form is very lackluster and follows the progression curve of Ranged Passives) or Quarry
    -Take a frigging grenade or pistol power or run up close and elbow slam/kick/punch to apply a crushing debuff since the set doesn't have one
    What is interesting thing to notice is that EVERYTHING you said about EARTH (minus the melee) also applies on FORCE
    Granded FORCE has actually GOOD DPS thanks to Force Cascade (and only FC )

Just replace Earth Form with Kinetic Manipulation which is still the WORST passive in the game since it penaltize it's own Alpha Strike attack, everything stays the same
    Force needs to take Passive, Energy Unlock, Debuffs from other powerframes because nothing in it's own powerframe works

But yeah Earth still sucks and is full of sadness​​
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    So yes, power reviews have definitely slowed significantly, but the reason why is still likely unknown to us. Maybe they decided to devote a year to "under the hood" changes. Maybe they changed their process and are spending more time cooking things before putting them on PTS. Maybe DOOOOOOOOOOM O3O. Or some other possibility.

There has been a lot of "under the hood" changes this year, so I imagine that's been their focus. Cleaning things up and optimizing will likely make it easier to pump out the more player-facing changes like event content and power reviews. Lately there hasn't been much, but I feel like this is all to gear up for something bigger. Only time will tell what that something is though.

I'll remain an optimist for CO. I know I wouldn't be fixing things up unless we were planning long-term. So, let's see what they've got in store for us, yeah?​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited December 2018
    That's my thinking. They kinda got fed up with the whole "change a thing, break ten other things" meta so they decided to straighten out some spaghetti so that future changes would proceed more efficiently. Andrithal alone tickles the imagination as to what they're going to do with what they learned from that experiment - I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 is the year of dungeon updates.

One thing is for sure though, all this under the hood stuff needs to lead to the the power updates picking up the pace again next year. Otherwise, at the current rate, it's gonna take like 6 years to finish them n_n My hope is that during this year they were also spending time brainstorming about future power updates and basically have all of them planned out already. Would love to see another "Whole Bunch" entry in that list for 2019 :D

As for why they're not doing Claws/Dual Blades power sets sooner rather than later... I have only tinfoil hat theories on that u3u to me it just seems like such an obvious meta to smash. They're also the last two melee sets so the idea that they're preserving them for their forms doesn't make sense either. Concentration/Chilled Form sticking around until the last ranged sets are done makes sense since there are ranged sets without their own form that still need them, but if they revamped claws and dual blades that'd be it for melee. Only exceptions are Chainsaw Gauntlet and Earth, but the former has Single Blade's form, and the latter... is Earth u3u​​
  • Haha, you think the game will still be around in 6 years.

I honestly don't care about the removal of subscriptions or updates to old broken dungeon missions or additions to alerts (like the terrible Save the Earth that was crammed into Vigilance for no extra Questionite) or updates to Eido that everyone mopes about. The thing we spend the most amount of time doing in this game is using attack powers to defeat villains, and since i've joined all my characters had their abilities nerfed while we haven't received a unique powerset addition. (just a rehash of existing powers made into new ATs)

Power sets are the thing we use the most, so as far as i'm concerned they deserve the highest amount of attention. The other superhero MMO had Beast Mastery, Staff Fighting, Water Blast, and Nature Affinity sets all made in 2012 before it closed. Four unique sets created in one year. The game's been dead 6 years and still had more powers to choose from than CO does today. But I guess kitten action figures take priority. :/
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    I think people should just be patient :o
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    I think people should just be patient :o
    I have been patient 4 years now, but this year was the worst for Power Progression
    especially when you realized how far behind unrevamped powerframes are
    f94.png​​
    edited December 2018
    Haha, you think the game will still be around in 6 years.

Don't think I actually said that... so the question is.. what are you laughing at? o3o

avianos wrote: »
    I have been patient 4 years now, but this year was the worst for Power Progression

However, with all the under the hood stuff, it's entirely possible that this year saw some of the most important updates to the game in many years. We complain about "spaghetti code" and "the engine can't handle it" and all those other memes we regurgitate year after year, but then they address that stuff and suddenly people wanna act like it's a waste of time o3o​​
  • Maybe the next set is something Kaiz doesn't really like and that's why it's taking so long.

Or she's being postponed by the higher ups.

Force and Might being done close to Captain Marvel's release could be awesome. We got the aquatic lockbox with the TotallyNotOceanMaster pieces in time for Aquaman (which is just great, B-movie fun).

ADD Altaholic known as @Rejolt in game. I'm a dork, but hopefully a harmless one.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

Don't think I actually said that... so the question is.. what are you laughing at? o3o

However, with all the under the hood stuff, it's entirely possible that this year saw some of the most important updates to the game in many years. We complain about "spaghetti code" and "the engine can't handle it" and all those other memes we regurgitate year after year, but then they address that stuff and suddenly people wanna act like it's a waste of time o3o​​

You cannot please everyone. Which is plain as day here in this thread with people complaining about how they done their updates. It was obvious to me this year they focused on under the hood stuff, which was needed, along with updating events.

The people complain because what they wanted changed/added/updated was not touched.

As for power sets that I really want to see updated, well, I have no tiers, they are all basically on the "NEED TO IMPROVE" list for me, even some of the ones they already did. I see problems with all the sets, some are just worse off than others.
    Have they actually said they are doing anything like this though? The devs are usually silent (for whatever reasons) about what they are doing until just before it happens. It would be nice if they are gearing up for some big or small improvements, but all we can do is wait, hope and see at this point.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Have they actually said they are doing anything like this though? The devs are usually silent (for whatever reasons) about what they are doing until just before it happens. It would be nice if they are gearing up for some big or small improvements, but all we can do is wait, hope and see at this point.
    Pretty sure Spinny's talking about stuff like tweaking boss fights to be less laggy. Also Kais has been rebuilding the old events to fix bugs and generally make them better.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited December 2018
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

"Under the hood" and similar phrases have been used frequently this year - so much that I'm surprised there aren't more memes referencing it in the meme thread. At the very least, it can be said that they have spent more time this year making those sorts of changes than they have any other year. The Andrithal update was the most overt example of them doing something explicitly to update the "under the hood" stuff. The lair barely changed as far as someone running it could tell, but the implications for what did change are biggo o3o

I imagine they didn't mention the specifics because it's all coding stuff which wouldn't really be interesting to us, or useful for us to know. Stuff like formatting the code better, making various bits of content more modular, adding comments, producing documentation etc... it's all stuff that wouldn't make for particularly interesting patch notes, but is all implied by "under the hood".
    Pretty sure Spinny's talking about stuff like tweaking boss fights to be less laggy. Also Kais has been rebuilding the old events to fix bugs and generally make them better.

^ yeah that too.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Under the hood, in the case of Andrith, meant that the code was being converted (by an automated tool) from the original way lairs were written, which was apparently a major pain to update, to a new style they implemented later.
    Under the hood, in the case of Andrith, meant that the code was being converted (by an automated tool) from the original way lairs were written, which was apparently a major pain to update, to a new style they implemented later.

That's even more exciting than what I thought it was O3O a tool that turns spaghetti into lasagna​​
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Anything which them debug existing content is great but the slowdown on power development has made the game environment feel played out.

All CO players learn to be patient but some of the missing items from sets like Force are so obvious and have been missing for so long that you have to conclude that they're just not going to do them before shutdown.
    edited December 2018
    I've concluded that CO is going to still be up and running a decade from now. Also, the same people claiming it's going to shut down every year will still be making that claim a decade from now o3o I base this claim on the fact that Ice got a self rez power.​​
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    He he. I am only thinking that these issues have been around for as long as I have been playing (6 years). World Wars have been fought faster
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited January 2019

This is assuming they addressed it. (And depends on what we're referring to as under the hood). Also a lot of their changes/tinkering in 2018 broke OTHER things in horrible ways. (Some fixed quickly, some still lingering).

Nothing I've seen tells me then really have been spending time addressing it, or at least doing so in a way that effective. Time will tell though.
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    Nothing I've seen tells me then really have been spending time addressing it, or at least doing so in a way that effective. Time will tell though.

v

Like I said. They now have a tool that turns spaghetti into lasagna. That's a pretty clear case of addressing it.​​
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Dual Blades is pretty OK other than Dragon's Wrath not conforming to the "new" Dragon Rush standard, so it really just needs a single power touchup. Kind of surprised they didn't hit all 4 Dragon powers in one go, actually.

Top priorities should be the more underpowered sets, like Wind, Earth, Gadgeteering, Celestial (dps) etc.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited January 2019
    darqaura2 wrote: »

v

Like I said. They now have a tool that turns spaghetti into lasagna. That's a pretty clear case of addressing it.​​

Thanks. I had somehow missed this post. If that's the case that's good on them. Hopefully that leads to some greater things this year.
    So I just updated my revised powerset bug list and had to go through a lot of patch notes all at once and I noticed something interesting.

All events from the 2nd half of the year that lasted more than 1 week (ie. Anniversary, Bloodmooon and Winter Event) all had their fully content patched in week 1, with the following weeks just being server restarts or minor fixes.

So yeah, I do agree that this year probably had a lot of under the hood changes in order to streamline the event progression in order to free some time up for the devs to move on and work on other stuff. The thing is that during this last stretch of the year the other things they had to work on were probably...more events!

But at least now that they've tackled this, this year they'll probably have more time to work on other stuff after they just flip the event switches on.​​
    edited January 2019
    Oh I forgot one thing, we got Save The Earth this year last year o3o​​
    lezard21 wrote: »
    So I just updated my revised powerset bug list and had to go through a lot of patch notes all at once and I noticed something interesting.

All events from the 2nd half of the year that lasted more than 1 week (ie. Anniversary, Bloodmooon and Winter Event) all had their fully content patched in week 1, with the following weeks just being server restarts or minor fixes.

So yeah, I do agree that this year probably had a lot of under the hood changes in order to streamline the event progression in order to free some time up for the devs to move on and work on other stuff. The thing is that during this last stretch of the year the other things they had to work on were probably...more events!

But at least now that they've tackled this, this year they'll probably have more time to work on other stuff after they just flip the event switches on.​​

Or they'll do even more tweaking to events. :)
    edited September 2019
    Got our second powerset update for the year. See you in 2020! o3o/
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Necroposting, Spinny?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    jonsills wrote: »
    Necroposting, Spinny?

It's an ongoing tally. I can update this one, or start a new one with the same content each time. Which would you prefer?
    edited September 2019
    We are SO CLOSE getting all powerframes revamped and yet so far :'(

2020 better be more about Power Revamping and filling the holes the unrevamped powerframes have and less about rehashing events​​
    We are SO CLOSE getting all powerframes revamped and yet so far :'(

2020 better be more about Power Revamping and filling the holes the unrevamped powerframes have and less about rehashing events​​

Shoot we past half ( even if they had to collapse 4 power sets into one to get there ) before I grew a gray hair anywhere so I call that a positive!
    HMMM So we started 2019 with Darkness Revamp and may end it with just LITE darkness additions 🤔

Xmas Update please SAVE US​​
    edited December 2019
    Maybe the devs are having a hard time coming up with new unique ways to rework the power sets so the mechanics don't feel so samey?
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png