test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are Alerts Canon?

So I'm wondering if the events in Alerts are things that are actually happening in CO Lore or just considered a game mechanic for leveling.

Have the Devs said?

Comments

• Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Assume that everything that happened after Cryptic got absorbed by PWI to be not canon​​
  • Options
    mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    You mean stuff like Red Winter, Harmons Lab and other special events? I ask because these events feel unique and are so scripted that I would be shocked to learn that they aren't cannon.

Or are you talking about the Grab/Burst/Smash events? I ask because while the Grab and Smash events are easy to write off as believable and fairly regular events. The burst events as depicted would be a lot harder to believe as being so common, without millenium city being a toxic radioactive wasteland and Dr. Ka being a rather easily overcome hero...

As for if the Dev's have answered... no idea. Does it really matter though? Just about all of our Heroes have done just about every mission in the game. How many thousands have beaten Kevin Poe into the ground and stopped his attempt to wipe the minds of millenium city? How many have beaten back Hi Pan and his Death Dragon after it kills off the other gang leaders?

Honestly I'd just write your own head cannon and run with it. If you have a super group you could always make it a group project to attempt to create a cohesive story and world.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I would imagine that, like most MMO content, it's quasi-canon.​​
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I would imagine that, like most MMO content, it's quasi-canon.​​
    Yeah it happened, but not daily. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    As I understand it, the repetitive nature of daily quests and alert/event rotations aren’t canon, but the events themselves are. So Destroids did attack UNTIL Sky Command once. [Danny Vermin voice] Once. Defeating them over and over is what makes it into a grind game for us.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Most of the alerts bosses were played made
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    I agree that the events in the game are canon, yet the repeats are a gameplay feature. There's no way that we've arrested Franklin Stone hundreds of times for the exact same crime over and over.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    “They stole an ancient artifact.....again again
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    So I'm wondering if the events in Alerts are things that are actually happening in CO Lore or just considered a game mechanic for leveling.
    I would assume that it's canon that some variant on each alert has happened, but it probably hasn't happened with every single villain on the rotating alert villains list.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Bank robberies and aggressive recruitment policies on the other hand could very well be happening around the clock. I'm sure we've all noticed that this city and vibora are under constant siege by a variety of powerful, well populated gangs so it's feasible that they're just laying siege to banks, museums and city hall at every hour of the day. One gang tries to grab the bank goodies, we run in and beat the butts off of em, then after we leave another gang tries to rush in before the bank can regain their footing and some other assembly of champions shows up to stop them yet again. Eventually they give up, the alert changes to another location, and then we rotate our teams in to defend that area - makes sense to rotate champions in like that considering how many of them we have in the city.

Even frequent bursts are probably feasible. I mean so what, radioactive gas, we have all sorts of mad scientists, super wizards, , mutant radiokinetics, and demons that could probably just eat the gas who could clean that stuff up in the time it takes another Burst alert to pop.

I submit that Grab, Burst, and Smash alerts are fully canon, and are actually occurring at the rate we do them. Millenium City was the original warzone!​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    Possibly a one-off instance of each alert is canon, but will probably never be detailed as to which heroes tackled them, as that would deter from the players' immersion as their own characters.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    It's apparently canon that the heroes who defeated the Lemurian invasion are not regular members of the Champions though.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    All of it is canon exactly once for every player for custom alerts...but for your average daily alert maybe more than once.