Release Notes 10/25/2018

13»

Comments

• guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    lezard21 wrote: »
    guyhumual wrote: »
    How exactly is that a BOP problem?

It isn't. That was another claim by Conspiracy Theorist #2. Guess who is #1 btw.
    Ah, so you were just being a disingenuous POS or you realized what a completely asinine statement you made after you were called out on it and then tried to pretend you were making some sort of point? How completely unlike you . . .

I never made the claim that there weren't any trains BTW, your picture is what's suggesting that there's a problem with the event, My comments on the train has always been that the trains make the crypts pointless. You get better rewards staying on a train than leaving one and entering the crypts. I do realize that it's a lot to remember when you're dismissing people's arguments without bothering to read them. You want to be useful, maybe make a post about how much the crypts have improved this year. I haven't bothered with them at all but as you think everything is great and play all the content, maybe you could report back on that.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User

It isn't. That was another claim by Conspiracy Theorist #2. Guess who is #1 btw.
    Ah, so you were just being a disingenuous POS or you realized what a completely asinine statement you made after you were called out on it and then tried to pretend you were making some sort of point? How completely unlike you . . .

??? the hell?

Did you actually read the post that "(continuation of previous post)" was referencing to?

Let me give you a tl;dr version

Conspiracy theorist #2 posted
    people are not participating on event cause bags are BoP

Lezard posted
    No, actually I believe that the lack of players with initiative is what's causing event participation to be low. Same thing happened in Anniversary and bags were not BoP then

Lezard posted
    Here have a pic, someone just perfectly exemplified in zone chat what I was talking about earlier

You
    wHy R u SaYiNg It'S BoP's FaUlT :v

Stop reading the forums while in class​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    > @spinnytop said:
    > xcelsior41 wrote: »
    >
    > Not pretending. Want a direct reason for this, I’m not a constant player here so I dunno the actual details as to why this is a good thing. PMs are difficult as I’m at college so uhh yeah
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Is college the reason you posted the quote like 10 times? @_@​​

No but quoting from a phone might be lol. My bad on that one!
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    No but quoting from a phone might be lol. My bad on that one!

I thinks it's safe to say we can blame Arc's garbage forums for that u3u It's 2018, who doesn't make sure their software works with smart phones by this point.

For the sake of curiosity im gonna send you a pm and see if you can even respond to it on your smart phone. If not, then I have an even lower opinion of arc u3u​​
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    No dude, apparently you haven't bothered reading anything I posted, while I have been contending that BOP isn't alt friendly,

??? the hell?

Did you actually read the post that "(continuation of previous post)" was referencing to?

Let me give you a tl;dr version

Conspiracy theorist #2 posted
    people are not participating on event cause bags are BoP

Lezard posted
    No, actually I believe that the lack of players with initiative is what's causing event participation to be low. Same thing happened in Anniversary and bags were not BoP then

Lezard posted
    Here have a pic, someone just perfectly exemplified in zone chat what I was talking about earlier

You
    wHy R u SaYiNg It'S BoP's FaUlT :v

Stop reading the forums while in class​​

I don't think you're reading anyone's replies actually. Pretty sure this other person you're arguing with has just been stating that the change to BOP was pointless and their key complaint is the one I noted last year, namely that if you wanted to do crypts it's a lot of work finding open ones. You're the idiot spreading this idea that BoP is the reason there aren't any trains.

If you want crypts you have to try to get into a zone that a train is in, or get into one that a train has recently vacated, the window for the latter isn't as great as the devs might think and as a result the undead heroes are still going to be up in most zones all the time. Personally I wouldn't argue that BoP will hurt attendance, most people probably only have one or two characters capable of doing the events, but I will say it's meant for me personally it's strongly discouraged me from using alts. During the anniversary event I used 7 pages of toons, that's 91 characters, to amass loot bags which I stock piled and opened for coins. That didn't hurt anyone, I didn't flood the market with anything, but that's not happening next year. Next year I'll probably only use 2 to 5 toons, the ones designed for grinding events, and the rest of my 100+ toons will never be used again.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    Similar gameplay style myself, in that I have about a couple dozen I play a great deal. While the rest see much less frequent play.

So, when those infrequent characters play, they really aren't trying to gather these types of event tokens for themselves. Sure, just by playing they'll gather some, but usually not in enough quantity that makes it useful to them.

Hence why I preferred to stockpile their gift boxes. Then those boxes would help a character that needs a bunch of tokens by opening some of the stockpile.

Apparently, I would have been better served by sticking the stockpile into numerous mails to self so any character had access to them. Which is probably a reason why there was no announcement about the change.

I have yet to read of any true game-harmful reason the BoP change was done. One sentence by Kaiserin didn't explain it.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Gotcha. It's the subjective interpretation of the Devs that it actually harms the the event. I can understand putting the kebosh on oversized characters if that objectively affects actual game play (i.e. the ability of people to play the game), but there's no actual "harm" to anyone else's enjoyment of farming with just one character.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Still waiting for someone to explain why the "old way" of sharing event bags is objectively damaging the event, which is what the Devs are claiming.
    The intent is that the way you get event rewards is by doing the event, preferably with the character who expects to gain the rewards. I'm somewhat surprised that the bags are a significant enough source of event credit that it matters whether they're BoP, but that's also why I don't care that they're BoP.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    You're harming the event by doing that. Because of evil people like you they will do away with the old event currency and issue a new one, and there will be no way to either convert the old currency to something else or spend it on anything.
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    3. Player Hoarding by-passing 800 limit and not needing to play next year

They need to fix the drop rate of Anniversary Favors.
    I hoarded all them New Stuff with 2 alts AND went to the 800 limit with, 6-7 alts i think, after that. So only caek next Anniversary for me. :#
    But the current Event tokens are a bit too harsh to gather, with limited time i have. So it's BM next year also for me.
    And i don't quite get the spreading of the missions to 5? weeks....
    Oh, oh! Are the AF parts BoPs?

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    I don't care about these changes, as in they making me care even less about a game I have loved and been playing for several years. Ive logged in long enough to get the one or two costume pieces I wanted and wont be bothered to log in again until something else is available that I will want for my main(s).

And some of you are being purposely obtuse about BoP "encouraging" alts...
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    You're harming the event by doing that. Because of evil people like you they will do away with the old event currency and issue a new one, and there will be no way to either convert the old currency to something else or spend it on anything.

giphy.gif

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jose1046525jose1046525 Posts: 7 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Unbinding event bags were being used in a manner that we found to be damaging to the events. Binding them to character has addressed the various unintended behaviors that players were partaking in.​​

You know it's the end when DEV's start to nerf PVE incentives.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    You know it's the end when DEV's start to nerf PVE incentives.
    By that standard the game ended in 2010 or so. Nerfing PvE rewards happens all the time.
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    My 3.5c input…

I use the 'vendor trash' like the heals and damage/defense boosters during the events themselves, so I don't have a problem with the bags being BoP, as I think most of those boosters are BoA anyway, and even if BoP, hey, they get used by that toon, so yay, no buying boosters for a while.

While it sucks that emotes and auras are BoC/P, they are ALSO pretty damn cheap, at just 100 coins a pop. That's likely-as-not one-day's farming for most dedicated farmer, and if that's all you want for that toon, you're done: move to the next one and carry on!

The costumes are all account-wide, and while I have't gotten all of them, I got many last year, and I think I have everything bar the fish head for this year - not actually all that bothered about missing the fish head, as there are plenty of alternatives, and my ADHD was already screaming at me a week ago for farming for a couple of hours a day - and I even took days off for other things, including work, sleep, NOT-gaming things, even a wedding.

When things change, it takes a while to get used to those changes. Does it make much sense that the bags are now BoP when they used to be unbound? Of course not, but if the analysis of Cryptic and Perfect World is that it will somehow help the game, then there is little to be done but to be polite when you complain about the change, and the same for when you'd like clarification for WHY the change was made.

Events always seem to bring the best and the worst out of us players, which is understandable. Us die-hard Champions Online fans hate to think that our home-away-from-home is being broken or damaged somehow, but we need to always remember that while we love to play in this sandbox, we're still visiting the next-door-neighbor to do so.

(And if that analogy doesn't work for you: basically, we're playing with the ball, but it doesn't belong to us)
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Added Plant Monster head and Wolf hair costumes to the event store.
    I cannot believe Champions Online DEVs predicted Piranha Plant in super smash bros
    Even by 1 week later, this was too amusing to not mention :grimace:
    529.jpg​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    And there's the rub. They say that their analysis shows something, but they won't explain in any detail, leaving it to the players to take it on faith that they devs know what they are doing. The lack of a reasoned explanation is the culprit here.
    sapphiechu wrote: »
    When things change, it takes a while to get used to those changes. Does it make much sense that the bags are now BoP when they used to be unbound? Of course not, but if the analysis of Cryptic and Perfect World is that it will somehow help the game, then there is little to be done but to be polite when you complain about the change, and the same for when you'd like clarification for WHY the change was made.

JwLmWoa.png
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    And there's the rub. They say that their analysis shows something, but they won't explain in any detail, leaving it to the players to take it on faith that they devs know what they are doing. The lack of a reasoned explanation is the culprit here.

Not really. The true culprit is the tendency of some players to always attempt to attribute sinister intent or incompetence to developer actions that they don't personally like. That tendency continues to stubbornly assert itself no matter how many well reasoned explanations are given, because it's never been about whether the change those people don't like had a good reason - it's about the fact that they don't like it. It's pretty rare that anyone around here has changed their mind once the reason for the change was explained to them. After all it's the easiest thing in the world to say "that's not a good reason" - certainly much easier than giving up on what you want and acknowledging it's a good thing that you don't get it.​​
    Missing the point. I've heard more than a few times here that the Devs have access to information that players don't have, and as a result we have to trust that their superior knowledge is working well on our behalf. But there have been a variety of game aspects added to the game where the Dev's supposedly greater insight was clearly not there (I am thinking about the whole OV mess). I.e. Devs are human and they make mistake in game design. So, we can't/shouldn't take it on faith that whatever decisions the Devs make are actually going to be a net improvement. So, when a Dev says something is "damaging" an event I personally believe that an explanation should be given about exactly how it is damaging the event. Of course, this will not satisfy everyone. That goes without saying, and is not expected. But, reasonable players will be able to see if a change is reasonable. A decent example of the latter is the degree of explanation we were given to the changes to Growth. A lot of people didn't like the explnation, but at least we were given some meaningful insight about why the change was made. Medicine is easier to swallow when I know the reason I am taking it.

spinnytop wrote: »

Not really. The true culprit is the tendency of some players to always attempt to attribute sinister intent or incompetence to developer actions that they don't personally like. That tendency continues to stubbornly assert itself no matter how many well reasoned explanations are given, because it's never been about whether the change those people don't like had a good reason - it's about the fact that they don't like it. It's pretty rare that anyone around here has changed their mind once the reason for the change was explained to them. After all it's the easiest thing in the world to say "that's not a good reason" - certainly much easier than giving up on what you want and acknowledging it's a good thing that you don't get it.​​

JwLmWoa.png
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Unbinding event bags were being used in a manner that we found to be damaging to the events. Binding them to character has addressed the various unintended behaviors that players were partaking in.

Simple fact, many of us did not find this statement illuminating enough. We perceived no damage to the event, so a fuller explanation would have been appreciated. Everything else was speculation by the players.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    when a Dev says something is "damaging" an event I personally believe that an explanation should be given about exactly how it is damaging the event.
    The problem with this idea is that it doesn't apply to things the devs considered exploits.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters