test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Flow please help, trying to make FF Dark-Magic Ninja type

(And it doesn't have to be just Flow lol)
Yes, I'm trying to come up with a FF build for a Ninja type FF who summons the dark, shadowy powers of the underworld! To do her bidding! ANd Strike unmitigated TERROR in the hearts of all nare-do-wells... (okay, I'll stop.)

Okay, here's something I just threw together.... feel free to destroy it lol.

Shadowy Ninja Type - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Link to this build: http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=30&n=Shadowy Ninja Type&d=125700000000000000L000M100L603ME00L40CLE03LA003705LJ05EF077505MZ037K04Ma0G000200000000100000000&e=
v3.11:30

Super Stats
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Ego (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1:
Level 6:
Level 9:
Level 12:
Level 15:
Level 18:
Level 21:

Powers
Level 1: Shadow Bolt
Level 1: Eldritch Blast
Level 6: Shadow Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Spellcaster
Level 11: Grasping Shadows (Unyielding Agony, Consumption)
Level 14: Void Horror (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Spirit Reverberation
Level 20: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
Level 23: Summon Shadows (Rank 2, Devouring Darkness)
Level 26: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3, Silent Running)
Level 29: Ricochet Throw (Rank 2, Microelectronic Controllers)
Level 32: Soul Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Gas Pellets (Oversized Pellet Bag)
Level 38: Hex of Suffering (Rune of Terror)
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations

Devices

>>> Okay... Now some questions....

1. will the stealth effect from Shadow Form have the same effect on Ricochet Throw that Night Warrior does?
2. Is Spellcaster the best Form to use with this? Or should I just go with Concentration? Is Fear considered an effect that will trigger it? The description of Hex of Suffering seems to imply that it might be.
3. If I can get away with just using Shadow Form, that will save me some serious skill points I can put into something like Shadow Embrace.

If I can make all this stuff work together, I will need a levelling build to get there.... because god knows I hate ret-conning.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    jaysankjaysank Posts: 45 Arc User
    To answer your questions
    1. No. You must be "stealthed" to get the effect, and the aggro reduction from Shadow Form doesn't count.
    2. It looks like you are primarily using ranged attacks. THat means you could use Concentration instead for more consistent energy and damage. Your only enchantments/curses are the Mystified enchantment from Eldritch Blast and the Hexed Curse from Hex of Suffering. Fear is neither a curse nor an enchantment, it is a mental state.
    3. If you want to use the stealth bonus for Ricochet Throw, Night Warrior is going to be the easiest way to use it. That said, if you used a different power instead of Ricochet Throw, or you don't need the bonus from stealth, you wouldn't need Night warrior anyway.

For some general pointers, If you are making a build, you want to identify what kind of damage types you want. There isn't a passive that buffs both Ricochet Throw and Soul Beam except for Night Warrior and Quarry, and the damage bonus from those passives is much less than other passives. I would suggest focusing on one damage type and selecting a passive that works, like Shadow form and Soul Beam or Kinetic Manipulation and Ricochet Throw.

You have a couple pet powers. Are you intending to make a pet based build? I ask because pets require a very specific build to work. If you aren't making a pet based build, I would suggest dropping them altogether, unless they serve some thematic necessity.

If you have any more questions, ask away.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (its a bit weird that you keep putting me in your thread titles when its a public forum post. If you're worried about me not seeing something here- though I usually will see it- you can always PM me :p )

Anyways, NW may have lower dmg bonus, but it also has charge time reduction and general -resist, so its good even compared to more specific passives for dps. I'd keep it as the main passive here anyways cause... well.. its still a ninja, right? Having Sneak just makes sense. That means one shouldn't be taking another dps passive, though, as its mostly redundant.

That build is a bit all over the place atm, Here's some tweaking of it:

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=30&n=&d=15320rNGIPWK000000L000L105LA00BC0758007505K503L305LF07ON01LC01BD01660400000ckr438W2MGB500000000&e=

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Gunslinger (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Ego: 8, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 1: Shadow Blast (Rank 2, Psychotic Break)
    Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3, Silent Running)
    Level 11: Chilled Form
    Level 14: Ricochet Throw (Rank 2, Microelectronic Controllers)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Dark Displacement)
    Level 23: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Rank 3, Nyctophobia)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Soul Vortex (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Parry (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

I decided to shift the focus more to Darkness, just cause its easier to work around Spirit Reverb then. Ofc, if using NW and being a ninja, either Ricochet Throw or Throwing Blades are good to keep for a strong opener out of Sneak. SEmbrace can AoE and CC a bit, while ERuin is your main single-target attack. SBlast and Soul Vortex can apply/refresh Fear, and taps of SBlast can apply/refresh Devoid for Ebon Ruin. The last 1-2 power slots are a bit more up in the air, though I'd keep at least 2 adv points free to rank up a travel power.

This build gears mostly for Ego, w/ some Con.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    I like what Flow did with the OP's original idea. Much more streamlined and more synergies. That's really the key to building a good Freeform.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    riverocean wrote: »
    I like what Flow did with the OP's original idea. Much more streamlined and more synergies. That's really the key to building a good Freeform.
    Thanks, but that's prob too much praise, rofl. Its mostly just a basic Darkness dps toolkit, but w/ NW and RThrow or Throwing Blades thrown in due to having Sneak.

You could add a bit more uniqueness to it w/ the last few powers, though. Stuff like Gas Pellets won't fit in as well mechanically (ex. won't proc the EU/toggle or take adv of Devoid, already have enough AoE, etc), but can add to the concept- if that's more important to the player. I'm also not necc against having powers just thrown in 'for flair' and not for practical use in combat; you just have to make sure you still have a complete enough build if doing pve content w/ it (easier to afford doing that w/ pure dps builds than w/ tanks, hybrids, or healers).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    jennabeezyjennabeezy Posts: 42 Arc User
    Thanks Flow, that's really solid. I will give it a try! :)