test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cosmic Rotation / Cosmic Reward Delivery Change

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
Proposition #1: Create a Cosmic Rotation

Rotating content has worked well for the game. It keeps content fresh and avoids people becoming burnt out on it. Doing the same Cosmics every day, every week, every month, every year is essentially mismanaging that content. Instead, Cosmics should be rotated, with only certain Cosmics being active at any given time. I propose that this should be a staggered rotation, with two Cosmics active at any given time, and each of them changing every 4 days, but with each Cosmic's cycle 2 days apart.

This calendar illustrates what I mean:
EhM4I4h.jpg
Every day there are 2 cosmics active, and every 2 days one of those cosmics changes to another one. The number of days can be changed up or down as determined to be best.

Why would this be good:
1. As mentioned above, it's good to change things up so people aren't doing the exact same thing for so many days in a row.
2. This shortens the cosmic rotation, leaving people more time to do things inbetween.
3. It makes it easier to add more Cosmics in the future. Say today they added 3 new cosmics, we've now doubled the length of time that players spend on Cosmics and drastically decreased the amount of time they have for anything else. In fact it's possibly players would spend nearly all their time doing Cosmics. We've also drastically inflated the amount of Recognition gain that players have access to. With this rotation, the time per day spent on Cosmics remains the same, and the Recognition gain remains the same, no matter how many more Cosmics are added.
4. This would Make Eido a more active bit of content, which could have the side effect of making the QWZ more active as well - once Eido is downed, people might form up groups to do their warzone dailies.

Problems w/Solutions
1. Since we would only be getting 2 Cosmics, each Cosmic's rewards would need to be increased by 50%
2. Since we would only be doing 2 Cosmics, their HP might need to be increased to make them take more time. Conflicts with 2 above.
3. It could take longer to get Perks associated with downing cosmics, these amounts can be changed if needed.
4. Eido would need to be modified to be about the same as the other three cosmics difficulty-wise and time-wise. I think this would be a good thing personally as I don't believe open world content is where the devs should be putting "elite content" anyways, that should go in instances. While they're adjusting Eido they could also spend some time fixing his buggy wuggies.

Proposition #2: Change Cosmic Reward Delivery

This is kind of a "Problem w/Solution" #5: They might not be able to turn Cosmics on and off to create a rotation like this. So here's a solution for that, that is also kind of a neat idea on its own. Instead of having Cosmic rewards come from their reward circles, have them instead come from a daily mission. The Daily Missions would give GCR, SCR, and a Reward Box that has the same drop table as the reward circle would normally have.
So, while all Cosmics would be active, there would be Daily Quests for only 2 of them at a time.

What benefits does this have:
Primarily, this would mean that players no longer have to guess if their character is capped or not, they just have to check and see if they have the Daily available. This would be a benefit completely apart from Proposition 1.
The other benefit is that this supports Proposition 1 in the case that Cosmics can't be turned on/off to create a rotation.

Problems w/Solutions
1. One issue might be that the devs can't make defeating a Cosmic complete a mission for you only if you got enough credit. i.e. you didn't score 100k but the mission completes anyway. The solution here is that the objective for the mission is actually acquiring an item, and this item comes from the Cosmic's reward circle, but only if you got enough score, similar to how you currently only get the good rewards if you got enough score.

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Problems w/Solutions
    1. One issue might be that the devs can't make defeating a Cosmic complete a mission for you only if you got enough credit. i.e. you didn't score 100k but the mission completes anyway.
    That currently doesn't happen. Mission completion is actually tied to an automatically awarded invisible object (though I've had it show up in my overflow bag) that requires the same score as other rewards.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Problems w/Solutions
    1. One issue might be that the devs can't make defeating a Cosmic complete a mission for you only if you got enough credit. i.e. you didn't score 100k but the mission completes anyway.
    That currently doesn't happen. Mission completion is actually tied to an automatically awarded invisible object (though I've had it show up in my overflow bag) that requires the same score as other rewards.

Well, good thing I immediately provide a solution for it then.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Alterante Suggestion: Just add a few more cosmics.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Alterante Suggestion: Just add a few more cosmics.

Reread #3. first set.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Saw that. What I meant is that if we just had a few more cosmics there would be more to do and no need for a rotation.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    I'd prefer if they just . . . made more cosmics. But in the short term this is a good suggestion.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    hlUkLVX.jpg
    edited June 2018
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    I'd prefer if they just . . . made more cosmics. But in the short term this is a good suggestion.

You've got that backwards, this idea actually gets even better in the long term. Also, "make more cosmics" and my idea are not mutually exclusive, they are in fact complementary ;)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Problems w/Solutions
    It's not invisible. Changing the quest status of the beatdown quest to complete eats the object. So you'll only see it if it bugs out. If it bugs out you can simply keep it until you get eh daily again. having it in inventory when you get the daily beatdown mission will cause the mission to instantly complete.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Having read your post Spinny, I actually REALLY like this idea.

It would probably, honestly, make me show up to Cosmics more often...like way more often.

I will say, I haven't had the time to try Eido since my first fight with him post PTS...and that was ages ago.

Making more cosmics in random areas, just means more stuff to learn and as Spinny says...mismanage. Since adding more cosmics won't solve the issue.

Once they are figured out, and made ridiculous to try and "hold player attention", it'll just be more of the same with what we've got now.

I'm not against future additions for Cosmics...especially in varied zones. So Desert...Vibora Bay...Lemuria...possibly even a GATEWAY Cosmic threat...?

Whilst, yes, Endgame isn't in any risk of becoming too heavily prevalent in CO...I think it's in a decent amount / spread. Just needs to be managed better.

As for a lore explanation...each Cosmic could be gathering their strength over the periods they aren't around. *shrug*.

I quite like this idea.

I do think though that the time between Cosmic spawns might need teeny tiny adjustments though.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I like these suggestions.

I have mixed feelings about Eidolon being toned down a bit, but it's better than the current situation.

There are a chunk of players who log on to do Kiga-Ape-Dino, and that's it. With only two cosmics available at a time, those players won't be on as long. I saw your suggestion about increasing HP to make the fights longer, but that makes a failed fight that much more of a pain.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    All this would do is make it harder to get people for certain cosmics (like Dino) and take longer to buy things from the recog vendor. It already takes around 12 days for a single item on a single character. Making it take longer for players to get their three cosmics a day won't improve anything for other areas of the game.

People who want to do rampages already do so between cosmics, people who want to fight Eido already do so when they know he's being attempted. People who want to do other pieces of content already do so.
    edited June 2018
    draogn wrote: »
    All this would do is make it harder to get people for certain cosmics (like Dino) and take longer to buy things from the recog vendor.
    Problems w/Solutions
    1. Since we would only be getting 2 Cosmics, each Cosmic's rewards would need to be increased by 50%

Literally the first one. This would actually decrease the time/reward.

As for making it hard to get people for Dino you'll have to explain that one, cause I don't see anything in my op that would lead to that.

I have mixed feelings about Eidolon being toned down a bit, but it's better than the current situation.

The amount he would need to be toned down is debatable. It's entirely possible that just fixing the two bugs he has right now would effectively put him where he needs to be ( back to where we were downing him in 4 minutes, lel )
    There are a chunk of players who log on to do Kiga-Ape-Dino, and that's it. With only two cosmics available at a time, those players won't be on as long. I saw your suggestion about increasing HP to make the fights longer, but that makes a failed fight that much more of a pain.

Yeah, I'm not super invested in that, it was just an idea for a potential issue, but more towards a rewards/time issue. I'm not too concerned with making players spend more time online than they want to. The hope is that those players, now with a big chunk of free time, might head to some of the other rides in the amusement park that don't see as much use.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    Dino is the least popular of the three non qwzone cosmics. During varies times of the day it can already be a pain to find people to fill both tank roles and who can make it past the dps checks. If it were the only cosmic up during a day, that would only be made worse. Especially once the tanks get their daily done.
    edited June 2018
    draogn wrote: »
    Dino is the least popular of the three non qwzone cosmics. During varies times of the day it can already be a pain to find people to fill both tank roles and who can make it past the dps checks. If it were the only cosmic up during a day, that would only be made worse. Especially once the tanks get their daily done.
    Proposition #1: Create a Cosmic Rotation

Rotating content has worked well for the game. It keeps content fresh and avoids people becoming burnt out on it. Doing the same Cosmics every day, every week, every month, every year is essentially mismanaging that content. Instead, Cosmics should be rotated, with only certain Cosmics being active at any given time. I propose that this should be a staggered rotation, with >>>two Cosmics active at any given time<<<, and each of them changing every 4 days, but with each Cosmic's cycle 2 days apart.

Literally the first paragraph.

Now that that's cleared up, let's explore what you're talking about. Currently an issue is that there can be multiple instances of a boss in the cosmic cycle. We could end up doing 2 Kigas, and 2 Apes before ever heading to Dino. That is a lot of opportunity for tanks ( and healers, and top end dpsers ) to get capped, since neither of those fights requires high dps and because there is no motivation for them to wait to bring their tanks for Dino. When we do finally get to Dino, the first one will see at least 2 more tanks capped.

Now let's say today's Cosmics are Ape and Dino. So we do Ape, and nobody is capped on cosmics even if we do 3 instances of Ape - it just means that people have characters that don't need to do Ape again. Everyone is still uncapped and ready to do Dino. This has it's own potential issues sure, but in regards to the specific issue you brought up this is much better than it is currently on live. Once people have only 2 sources for their Cosmic rewards, and each source must come from a different Cosmic, it directly motivates people to show up for both cosmics rather than just trying to cap themselves on the easier ones first.