test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Camera Height, raising/lowering the camera

So, I was looking to see if there was a command to adjust the camera height. Essentially, a vertical version of "camoffset".

Is there a command that allows such? I mostly just wanted to adjust the camera so it'd be eye level with my characters. :P

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    you can use the mouse to drag the camera around to change the angle it's facing.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    leviticusloleviticuslo Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, the mouse can change the angle, but I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust the vertical position of the camera. For instance, the camera's position is set to the center of the torso for taller characters. I'd like to raise that to the character's head instead.

The "CamOffset" command does exactly this, but only horizontally. I'm hoping someone might know if there's a way to do so vertically.
    Post edited by leviticuslo on
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I understand where the OP si coming from. The invisible tow-cable the camera is connected to your character by attaches at your center of gravity. This means, when flying horizontally across the landscape, it trails directly behind you. If you use the mouse or keyboard to get it slightly above your plane of movement to get a view of directly below and in front of you, you fly towards the ground. CoH, in contrast, handled this by attaching the camera to a point in (or possibly above) your head, but still pointing at your center. None of this has any serious impact on characters with Acrobatics or Superspeed.

It could be worse: STO simply lacks the keybind options to control camera angles entirely. It's use the mouse or give up entirely.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    As far as I know there's no vertical equivalent to CamOffset.
  • Options
    No worries. Thanks for the responses at least.

Fortunately, it's nothing all that major. Mostly just curious to see if the option existed.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Here's how.

type /ui_save_file nameoffilegoeshere

Go to your game folder and open this file in a text editor.

Find this area.

NajNG2T.png

If you are not using shooter scheme, find another section in the file that mentions your control scheme.

Change your fCamHeight to a higher value and save the changes.

While in game, type /ui_load_file and the name of the same file.

You may need to switch control modes to something else and back again to see the change.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    /quicksnip

Nice! This actually works! :D

A quick note. I'm using the MMO scheme, but it didn't have a "fCamHeight" line in that section. However, I just copied the line from the Shooter scheme, pasted it into the MMO scheme, and adjusted the value.

After loading the new UI settings, the camera did take an extra moment or so to register the change. Didn't have to swap between control schemes, though.

Thanks for the help! :D
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Three cheers for someguywhoplaysgames for tracking down this solution! Still not perfect, due to the game engine (camera trails behind you looking perpendicular to the ground, need to revert if you want to zoom in on the character for screen shots), but far better than what we had.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.