test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The great hate debate!

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
Should people pvp with love in their hearts, or is it okay to pvp hatefully?

Discuss.

Comments

• omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    They should PvP not at all?
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Bring on the love \o/

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

People should PvP for fun.

The question isn't what they should pvp for.
    For fun is the entire point of logging in to begin with, no matter what you're doing in game if you are not having fun you probably should be doing something else.

Fun can be had in many different ways, I personally take no joy in acting like a jerk to people...but some folks might. Now is their chance to speak up!

Or you know maybe we could be a few more forum members who never pvp to come on down to the lonely and neglected herogames sub forum to talk about how much they dislike pvp.

The question isn't if they should pvp for fun. Everyone plays videogames for fun by default, so no real discussion to have there.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    If you are pvp'ing with hate in your heart...then you have more issues than a video game to deal with and probably should find out why you are angry and full of rage.

I believe when everyone says for "fun" they mean you play a game you love because it gives them joy...aka love in the heart.

So...yeah. Love in your heart because you enjoy the game....but then if hate is what you enjoy and you love hating people, I guess the circle is complete.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Posts: 102 Arc User
    "If someone treats you like ****, just remember there is something wrong with them, not you. Normal people don't go around destroying others."

That also goes the other way for these very people who enjoy causing turmoil :

"If you're out and about and you meet an asshole, you're unlucky. If you're out and everyone you meet is an asshole, then you're the asshole."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    Hate's bad y'all. Let's be friends?
    oobtree said:

*one shots you while you're trying to be friendly* \o/
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    spinnytop said:

oobtree said:

*one shots you while you're trying to be friendly* \o/
    Looks like Business . . . Lets be friends *Splat*
    Anyways, for me I've tried to enjoy PvP and without breaking my symbolic builds, without much success,
    would you enjoy playing PvP if you lost ~95% of the time?
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    well I brought squishy toons with AT-style builds into pvp and I had fun. I didn't keep track so I don't know if I lost 95% of the time. Of course it was mostly bash so everyone except one person in the match lost, so losing wasn't really a big deal.
  • smashykinssmashykins Posts: 99 Arc User
    PvP is definitely all hatred-fueled that's why no PvPer ever made friends with another PvPer oh wait.

Some of my best friends started as enemies.

No you may not hug me. This isn't PvE.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    You have to want to be in that environment and have that drive to PvP for it not to make you come out the otherside in rage.

I would ask simply, how would you define "love in their hearts"?

If you mean to be good sports and have a pleasant nature...you may find it difficult to maintain that in an environment where you can be farmed or whatever.

I will say, most of the PvPers I've met and spoken to are actually pretty cool and friendly, willing to offer advice to improve in PvP and show you things or simply allow you to sit in and watch BASH matches unfold.

I think its the salty hatred which builds up over time which leads to some coming across as horrible people who want to watch everything burn.

Equally there are some pretty mean spirited people who PvP and you can't really help that.
    edited August 2017

Love PVPer: "I just want everyone to have a good time, it's more important to me that my opponent is having fun than it is that I beat them - sure I play to win, but not at the expense of ruining anyone's fun. Fairness and fun are the most important things! I'd rather have a reputation as a fair and honorable player than as someone who wins a lot - of course I wouldn't mind both!"

Hate PVPer: "I don't care if I ruin someone's good time. In fact, it makes me giggle knowing that someone is raging because I just one shotted their stupid wannabepvp build. Winning and domination are all that matters and I'll use anything the game gives me to do it - everything is fair game and if you don't like it then gtfo, lol!"

Seems like there's always some troll PvPers who think they're better than everybody else and want to ruin people's fun.

Yeah it seems like that doesn't it? *wink wink nudge nudge*
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    > @spinnytop said:
    > Seems like there's always some troll PvPers who think they're better than everybody else and want to ruin people's fun.
    >
    > Yeah it seems like that doesn't it? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Lmao Foxi
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    spinnytop said:

Love PVPer: "I just want everyone to have a good time, it's more important to me that my opponent is having fun than it is that I beat them - sure I play to win, but not at the expense of ruining anyone's fun. Fairness and fun are the most important things! I'd rather have a reputation as a fair and honorable player than as someone who wins a lot - of course I wouldn't mind both!"

Hate PVPer: "I don't care if I ruin someone's good time. In fact, it makes me giggle knowing that someone is raging because I just one shotted their stupid wannabepvp build. Winning and domination are all that matters and I'll use anything the game gives me to do it - everything is fair game and if you don't like it then gtfo, lol!"
    Interesting.

I've done my little bit in PvP before, I did love it but mostly because I was completely not invested in it. I feel like (for me) investing in something and then having it rendered useless or ruined by a combination I hadn't seen or thought of before would frustrate me and I'd end up being toxic...I've seen that happen to people, they send hateful tells and spread **** about you and it goes all out of control.

I mean, in PvP I find it hilarious to die to crazy combinations or be flung so far that it makes me laugh etc.

My next question would be... Do "Love PVPers" and "Hate PVPers" build in a similar fashion?

My next question would be... Do "Love PVPers" and "Hate PVPers" build in a similar fashion?

Sometimes.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I PvP in Dark Souls just for the hate mail. Hate of any kind and PvP kinda goes hand in hand in any game that has PvP as an optional extra. Most people don't want competition they just want a chill time having fun. PvP tryhards ( which I've been like in the past along with Foxi :P ) kinda rightfully get told to p*** off no one cares.

Look what happened to Street Fighter V. They remove most of the single player content people expect in a SF game and focus on online and the game utterly bombed. Most people are just not that into PvP.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    I hear Tekken 7 made the same mistake. Where's my Tekken Force mode?!
    edited September 2017
    ima fight you all in a sf3 third strike fest and Ima call dibs on ken and I will teach you all how to love with my glorious fists.

At any rate, feeling the need to hate on a bunch of pixels is the proof that something is seriously screwed up in the RL of some people...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2017
    ashstorm1 said:

At any rate, feeling the need to hate on a bunch of pixels is the proof that something is seriously screwed up in the RL of some people...

It's not the pixels they're directing their hate towards, it's the people controlling the pixels.
    edited September 2017
    spinnytop said:

ashstorm1 said:

It's not the pixels they're directing their hate towards, it's the people controlling the pixels.
    True. Still, the result is the same : they're basically hating on absolute strangers they know nothing about. They don't even know what they look like or where they live for that matter...

In other words, it's about as productive as hating on a player handle or an internet ID...

And speaking of this, here's one question that i find particularly interesting : if these people were given the occasion to meet their "enemies" IRL, do you think they'd proceed to settle accounts with them? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You don't need to know someone to be happy that you pissed them off by beating them at a video game. If this is strange to you, then you might want to consider that this is pretty common - maybe you're the outlier here?
    spinnytop said:

You don't need to know someone to be happy that you pissed them off by beating them at a video game. If this is strange to you, then you might want to consider that this is pretty common - maybe you're the outlier here?

Hmm, yes, i get what you mean about being satisfied of winning over someone.

But i mean, from this to outright sending hate mail like Nepht pointed out in a previous post, or feeling the need to humiliate people in chat, for instance... I just don't get why some players seem to get a kick out of it.

That's just me, i guess <.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hatemail is just trash talk, which is also pretty common. The method of conveyance changes but it's all ultimately the same thing whether you say it to someone's face on the basketball court, through a tell in a video game, or as a message through steam.

By the way you mentioned "meeting in person and settling the score". What I picture in my head is a bit of tough talk, and then they both back down and go home. Of course there is a chance one of them assaults the other, but the question then is does that make him the better person or the worse person? Is it somehow more respectable to assault someone than it is to call them a noob?
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    I hate savoury muffins. Chocolate or GTFO.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I love ruining people's positive self image in PvP any way I possibly can. If I wanted to defeat them, I'd have made an easy build with that in mind. Instead I study the game's movement systems and most primitive design principles and put apparent garbage to work to make people who put what they think is their very best efforts to total shame. Mere defeat isn't enough. That is only Player Vs Avatar. They get knocked down and blip back into the game.

The real victory is when they stay down. It's just a damn shame that I can't see them with knot in their throats as their perfect order is disrupted and they flip their lids.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • eva1988eva1988 Posts: 183 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Should people pvp with love in their hearts, or is it okay to pvp hatefully?

Discuss.

I think it is okay for people to PVP anyway they want. Although i often notice those who get more emotionally invested in PVP, particularly around winning, end up using PVP specific builds; which in turn probably causes people who just PVP for fun, or within set parameters, to avoid PVP altogether.

I think if more people took PVP less seriously, more people would PVP. So if we're talking what is good for PVP in champions online, i guess it'd be best for people not to take it seriously. Not that hatred isn't a strong driving force for people to PVP, but as i said, it drives them down the "by any means necessary" road, which overall isn't good for the PVP population.
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    I don't mind for PVP specific builds but I don't have any idea those will work in other endgame contents such like Cosmics 'GCR' grinding... And I'm lazy to rebuild any toon to do PvP after doing those contents.
    Just my tank took few points in B.A.S.H. several days ago but all other builds have no place now. DPS specialized for doing DPS and CCer are for CCing.
    In other view PvP specific builds has no place specially in hard-mode such like Eido.
    I feel PvP and all other became completely other game.
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    You realized you said that you just outlined the reason why he heals even when you do your best right? Just saying
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||

I hate you, monaahiru :P

Well we know which side of the debate luci is on o3o
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    Buuut I still need 3.8k more player kill in ZA for noice AF. o3o
    > @eva1988 said:
    > emotionally invested in PVP

I was kicked out of Spectre for being emotionally invested. Just sayin.
    No response from Spectre? No acknowledgement. = sad Malware.