test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Add a 'reset travel powers' button to PH trainer

pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
We can't reset arbitrary powers because of turning builds invalid, but that's not a factor for travel powers -- they have no prerequisites, nor do they act as prerequisites. Thus, it seems like it should be possible to have a targeted retcon in the same way you can reset your superstats and talents.

Comments

• blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    I so want this, pleeease.

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I'd love to see this. The whole power/advantage heap is a trainwreck of WHATISTHISIDONTEVEN (the power order makes sense, but none of the rest does) but travel powers in particular should probably be separated.

It'd make buying the premium version of a travel power type a lot more appealing, as you swap out, say, basic teleport for fancy lightning teleport without having to climb through a bunch of other powers without messing up your build.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
    Yes, at the condition using that reset button do no requiere to spend 50g like the spé/SS/adv points reset.
    I'm ready to pay something if it's not abusive.

Little trick for OP:
    probably like you, i fell several times in the trap of stacking my powers above my travel powers while leveling.
    Now i constantly keep my travel powers above everything else. This way i can remove and take another TP when i want for a trivial cost.

You'll probably find annoying to have to go at the PH each time you get a power point to retcon your travel powers, before taking the new power, and then take back your tp, but in the end, it's far better (and less expensive) than to have to remove 80% of your powers each time a new interesting travel power is added to the game.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    That'd be neat. Wonder if they could add travel powers to the button that resets your attributes.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    +1000: Obligatory support for ANY improvement to the dumpster fire that is the respec system.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • n3lln3ll Posts: 21 Arc User
    This could be nice, but not necessary. If you change or even think you change travel powers, just buy them last after re-spec. Then those are the first skills to remove.

Imo better option would be just make it so that you can remove any skill you want with same standard cost (20-50G/each?) and it would just track that you can't remove skills if you don't met prerequisites to some other skills you would leave in your build.
    IronClaw@AllahSemmin in game c:
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    I suspect the reason they are not excluded from the retcon queue is because some of them have combat advantage points.

That's not to say I don't support wanting to cycle TPs out of the queue and let them be reset on an individual basis.

In the meantime it's always best to place TP choices as the very last on the queue if you foresee swapping out in the near future.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I support this idea. Travel Powers should have separate points too. Those extra 2pts can be used to rank up or adv a power.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

That'd be neat. Wonder if they could add travel powers to the button that resets your attributes.

I'd really like to see this. Travel powers are often added to the game, and it can be tough to quickly change out travel powers for toons. Even if you can avoid the respec (or have a token), rebuilding a toon because the travel power you want to replace was taken at level 6 can be enough of a burden not to bother.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Having this would likely improve travel power/associated lockbox sales

I suspect the reason they are not excluded from the retcon queue is because some of them have combat advantage points.

This probably nails it. The fact that they use advantage points might be what keeps them locked in to the system.

I wonder if they could code it so that travel powers and their advantage points always "float to the top" of the retcon list. Like no matter when you acquired them, they always end up at the top of the list. Depends how the list is stored and how hard coded it is.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

This probably nails it. The fact that they use advantage points might be what keeps them locked in to the system.

That shouldn't matter. We already know it's possible to remove powers from the middle of your list, it happens whenever a power is removed from the game. That often gives you an illegal build, meaning you have to reset all your powers, but if it doesn't give you an illegal build, you can just spend the power points again.

Removing a travel power will never give you an illegal build.
    edited April 2018

That shouldn't matter. We already know it's possible to remove powers from the middle of your list, it happens whenever a power is removed from the game. That often gives you an illegal build, meaning you have to reset all your powers, but if it doesn't give you an illegal build, you can just spend the power points again.

Removing a travel power will never give you an illegal build.

It might not be that the system actually removes the power from the middle of your list. It might be that the data for the old power was simply wiped which leaves a null entry that the system doesn't display and which triggers the system to recognize it as an illegal build. It wouldn't surprise me if when they update a power they literally just toss the old code and write brand new code for the power, essentially creating a whole new power that just happens to mimic the old one. You know how they don't like to mess with old code. So, we don't actually know that that's possible.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    While you're at it, separate the SS/specs/tals as well.
    [NbK]XStorm
    spinnytop said:

It might not be that the system actually removes the power from the middle of your list. It might be that the data for the old power was simply wiped which leaves a null entry that the system doesn't display and which triggers the system to recognize it as an illegal build.

I've seen the game remove powers without flagging the build as illegal (because they were not at a location in the build where removing that power invalidated the build).

I've seen the game remove powers without flagging the build as illegal (because they were not at a location in the build where removing that power invalidated the build).

All that proves is that a null entry doesn't trigger an illegal build. We still don't know if it's possible.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    I'd like to take a step further and say separate Retcon options to the following: Combat Powers, Advantages, Travel Powers, Superstats and Specializations, and Talents.

Removing a power with Advantages points invested automatically refunds them, costing as much as they would to be removed individually. With all of the different categories of abilities, I think it's high time that the Powerhouse be updated in this way to allow Retcons to be easier to manage and understand.

As far as how the retconning should proceed, Combat Powers, Travel Powers and Talents should be allowed the regular Undo. Any advantage points invested being automatically refunded, costing as much as it would to remove them individually. Advantages should be allowed to be Undone on a Power-to-power basis. With how intertwined Superstats and Specializations are thanks to the Primary Superstat Tree and Mastery (part of the reason I grouped them together), I figure the best option is to only allow Remove All for this category. Of course, Remove All should be available to all categories as well. Oh, and a new option with the Full Retcon button that allows a player to do so via Resources, not just the Free Resets or Purchased or Earned Retcon Tokens.

And lastly, I'd recommend standardizing the costs of individual power/advantage undos so that they cost the same amount to go back for each power instead of growing more costly the further back a retcon goes.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    spinnytop said:

All that proves is that a null entry doesn't trigger an illegal build. We still don't know if it's possible.

An entry that was null but still present would have prevented learning new powers. Powers getting removed from your build just means you no longer have the power and can, assuming your build is otherwise legal, learn new powers with the points freed up by losing the old power.

An entry that was null but still present would have prevented learning new powers. Powers getting removed from your build just means you no longer have the power and can, assuming your build is otherwise legal, learn new powers with the points freed up by losing the old power.

Still doesn't mean it's possible. We'll know it's possible when someone on staff confirms it or when they implement it.
    spinnytop said:

Still doesn't mean it's possible.

The fact it's actually been done means it's possible.

The fact it's actually been done means it's possible.

We don't know that it's been done.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I think it's just a matter of not having the UI coded to work that way.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    This would be great! :+1:
    /signed
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Maybe they give you a certain number of free TP retcons, but after that they ding you for a modest TP retcon token. They do have to make money on the game.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I'd definitely like to see this.

As mentioned earlier, I have been taking travel powers last, to ensure I can swap them out easily.