test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Turn Onslaught into a Heroes Game mode already

xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
edited March 2018 in Suggestions Box
The initial idea for Onslaught was that we'd see villains jumping around the city and we'd chase each other around. We found out that to be not the case. The balancing was all off, Too many heroes in one spot and villains ran around town forcing people to chase them, too many villains and heroes ran away to the safety of turrets. People started using exploits, and OVs became these giant HP sponges that target the squishest players for the Villain tokens.

Except not even that happens anymore. People go around town and smash UNTIL bots in the most efficient pattern. They then go to the Rencen and "suicide" to give out Guardian tokens to other players so they can do the same thing. All so we can get OV gear.

Stop this madness.

OV needs to be a hero game. Remove all the until bots. That story arc is done. Make Villains knockable, interruptable, stunnable, all that fun stuff in the beginning that they were. Then balance them for 5-10 players, put them in a small bash area, let players go wild. It is killing two birds with one stone.

Hero Games is a part of the game. If you don't like pvp, that is understandable, but it still is a thing. It deserves attention. Onslaught is over. Maybe if smaller zones were a thing earlier, if villains didn't become sponges, if people didn't !@!$% FREAKING JUMP ALL %$#@! OVER TOWN early on, then we could have nice things. But we can save this. WE CAN MAKE ONSLAUGHT FUN. Really fun.

It is easy to do.
  • Queue up, someone(s) the villain.
  • The rest are heroes.
  • Pick a villain you have unlocked in a starting area.
  • Kill as many heroes as you can or targets.
  • Heroes' score increases as villain HP drops
  • Death puts players on short cool down outside a bubble. Durability versus squishy cannons.
  • VILLAINS CAN BE CC'D, KNOCKED, INTERRUPTED and all that fun stuff they originally were susceptible to.
  • Winners are rewarded more tokens than losers! THIS IS A COMPETITION NO SUICIDES HERE!
Okay cool, now that is basic game play. Mix it up just a bit to add some fun with different modes.
==KotH==
  • Queue up, someone becomes the villain.
  • The rest are heroes.
  • Villain has areas to go to around the map. They are rewarded for destroying targets while in this area. Maybe UNTIL supply trucks or something. Like, crates and junk. Hero deaths only reward while in this area.
  • Villain scores as they stay in the area.
  • Players get scores as villain HP drops.
  • Players get stronger over time. Dang, I'm doing 10k dps and I"M A CELESTIAL SUPPORT!?
  • Villain is dead! Oh snap, someone else just became the villain AS SOON AS THE OTHER VILLAIN DIES?!? Go go go!
  • VILLAINS CAN BE CC'D, KNOCKED, INTERRUPTED and all that fun stuff they originally were susceptible to.
  • Everyone gets the same amount of Tokens rewarded. BUT, while you are a villain you have a chance for extra tokens. Everyone will want to murder you and take your place for more Villain tokens chances.
==CTF==
  • Queue up, EVERYONE is a villain
  • Capture a flag!
  • Take the flag to a spot on the map.
  • Score!
  • Winners are rewarded more tokens than losers! THIS IS A COMPETITION NO SUICIDES HERE!
==Defend the base==
  • Queue up, some are villains, some are heroes
  • There is a base. Heroes defend it.
  • Villains, go blow up something in the hero base
  • Heroes, you don't stand a chance! Except...
  • Go down some streets, setup UNTIL Turrets. Shoot the villains.
  • There are three paths - high, mid, low - but only two of them can have turrets up at a time!? Oh noes!
  • Everyone gets tokens, villains get more if they blow up the thing in the base before timer is out. Otherwise, heroes get more.

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    maybe just reduce the HP of the OV device to 1/6? My observations suggest the damage output isn't that great really.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Onslaught was never going to work in an open map. The OVs farmed the lowbies and spawn points. The lowbies and spawn points were protected with turrets. People worked out how to push the OVs into the turrets, so the ability to knock, stun, repel or do anything much to the OVs was removed, along with all the fun.

In any case, the entire storyline made no sense. Why should "endgame" content be about you playing something other than your character? Why would heroes, intending to protect Millennium City, go on a destructive rampage inside the city? Why would they attack their fellow heroes? Volunteering to use the Onslaught devices in a controlled setting, so that you can establish the level of threat.... that makes sense.

What it all needs is either an in-zone restricted area (like you get when you start a duel) or - better- to be made into instanced content, with daily missions attached. Get rid of the whole separation between Guardian and Villain tokens, and just have one currency. Remove the daft "unlock the villain but not the tokens you need to play it" stuff. Use the BASH open world mission spaces and level limits and make each game run on a timer; heroes get locked out temporariliy if they get defeated, they earn more points for taking down the Villain faster. Villains get rewards for defeating heroes, naturally. You get three games as a hero, three as a villain, every 24 hours; there are base rewards for playing the missions, but most of the rewards come from playing them successfully. That way you don't get the mismatches of open zone OVs, people can try out PvP without getting farmed by the l33t, and it becomes another daily thing to do with your alts.
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    Eh, I think the rewards need balancing... Maybe make players worth 2-3x as a much as an NPC... Otherwise the whole "kill NPCs and sucide" happens. Maybe make battle areas where player defeats count more so they don't all end up next to defender? I dunno about wiping them from the map.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Eh, I think the rewards need balancing... Maybe make players worth 2-3x as a much as an NPC... Otherwise the whole "kill NPCs and sucide" happens.

Whereas mutual suicide pacts with other players are better? Which of course already happens.

In the end, PvP is always going to be super exploitable.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    I'm still hoping they will be turned into OM PVE villains like the Megadestroids. Each will have ca. 3 possible places to spawn, an alert will go out, and heroes will go out and stop them. Revamp the rewards to just one type of token. And this will happen in the new lvl 35+ MC zone. I can dream.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Aww, but the pseudo PvP is fun! :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    CO = Collusion Online ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!