test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Answer a Trivia Question to Win a Therakiel's Sword!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Posts: 95 Administrator
Hey Champions! As part of today's super long maintenance, we've been doing some giveaways on all platforms. We already did one on Facebook, and now that the forums are back, it's your turn!

In the Champions pen and paper game, what kind of dice do you use?

To win, send an email to "community@crypticstudios.com" with the subject line "ChampsForums." We'll pick one winner to receive a Therakiel's Sword!
Post edited by ambassadorkael#6946 on

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Fingers crossed
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    I mean, I don't know the answer so wishing anyone the best of luck! :D​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    I know the answer, but the sword would probably be more appreciated by someone else.
    @bulgarex you have always provided detailed quality replies on CO lore for any and everyone.

I can’t think of anyone more qualified and deserving.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    There's always a chance he has one... (in any case, this is not super obscure, so there are a lot of people who know the right answer or can find it).
    Completely irrelevant^
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    The same kind used in every other pen and paper game: the weighted kind, obviously.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

@bulgarex you have always provided detailed quality replies on CO lore for any and everyone.

I can’t think of anyone more qualified and deserving.

:+1:

Totally, he's been helping folks for years giving detailed and insightful information about lore... he's also a real gent :)

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Wonder when we will know....keep checking my email, it’s starting to become unhealthy
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    E-mail? Is that somekind of ancient communication system?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Thank you very much for your kind words, folks. They're much appreciated. :3 But to be honest, I'm not really playing CO these days. My very limited gaming time is devoted to the PnP version of Champions, which is my preferred venue. I'd rather a CO prize go to someone who'll directly benefit from it.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    PnP role playing is always better then video games IMO, so it sounds like you got your priorities straight.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Sadly, when the forums came back up, the computer was otherwise occupied - my wife was catching up with some work on her Data Analysis degree from WGU. How short was/is the deadline?

(Rolling all those dice helped improve my math skills, even as late as college.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    They have winners
    I would have expected the contest to be short. It isn't a hard question, and no few CO players have also played Champs PnP. So the answers probably came in thick and fast.
  • avalon#6604 avalon Posts: 37 Arc User
    Whatever happened to this?
    People who won, won.
    Then I suppose there's no harm in posting the answer.
    The only kind of dice you ever needed to play Champions, are plain ol' six-sided cubes. But in some circumstances you can, if you wish, roll a lot of 'em.
    bulgarex said:

Then I suppose there's no harm in posting the answer.

The only kind of dice you ever needed to play Champions, are plain ol' six-sided cubes. But in some circumstances you can, if you wish, roll a lot of 'em.
    In 3rd Ed, it was fairly common to roll a lot of them - don't know if later editions streamlined it any, but 10- to 15-die EBs were not uncommon in our games, especially when taking certain power limitations made the dice a lot cheaper. Say, a 15-die STUN-Only EB, 0 Range, Cone AoE (that was one character's sonic blast that stuck in my head. Took forever to resolve the combats with that guy). Sure, you could just roll five of them three times, but that essentially makes it take three times as long to resolve. We got pretty good at rolling entire handsful of dice... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

I've known quite a few players who enjoyed rattling a whole dice cup loaded with 'em. :p
    jonsills said:

Sure, you could just roll five of them three times, but that essentially makes it take three times as long to resolve.

Or like us, you could just roll five dice and multiply the result by 3. I think the most dice I ever rolled at once was 10. But I'm not sure how many younger players can multiply in their heads today, in the era of calculators and cell-'phone aps.

• shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    I use my head. :D​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I've played in a game where average attacks were upwards of 20d and 30+ happened, but it was a hassle.
    I favor the classic Champions GM trick of pre-rolling a bunch of random dice results before a game and listing them, then just crossing a number off the list whenever it comes up. That speeds up play significantly.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    If the prize was a cool looking axe, I would probably have joined this trivia.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    bulgarex said:

I've known quite a few players who enjoyed rattling a whole dice cup loaded with 'em. :p

jonsills said:

Sure, you could just roll five of them three times, but that essentially makes it take three times as long to resolve.

Or like us, you could just roll five dice and multiply the result by 3. I think the most dice I ever rolled at once was 10. But I'm not sure how many younger players can multiply in their heads today, in the era of calculators and cell-'phone aps.

But when what you're after are BODY points, you really need to roll those results out - come on, sixes! :smile:

The thing is, the more dice you roll, the more the result tends to average out (the bell-curve effect). Fewer dice means higher odds they'll come up sixes.

(I can hear all the MMO-exclusive readers thinking, "What the actual hell are they talking about?!") :p
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    bulgarex said:

The thing is, the more dice you roll, the more the result tends to average out (the bell-curve effect). Fewer dice means higher odds they'll come up sixes.

(I can hear all the MMO-exclusive readers thinking, "What the actual hell are they talking about?!") :p

If you've played Age of Mythology, then you know exactly what this means. Though in AoM no effect actually wants you to get all the dice the same. In the unmodified base game it was possible for a combat action to cause you to roll 13 dice. Then you counted the number of sixes(or sixes and fives if you used the official variant) to determine who won.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    So who won?
    Or is there somekind of page where to check stuff like that?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    I guess the answer is no
  • ff130ff130 Posts: 1 Arc User
    yes
  • blazeingdragoonblazeingdragoon Posts: 65 Arc User
    soo they haven't ever thought of re adding therakial's sword back into his lair. or haven't even bothered to give us any form of way to get this dang thing unless we grovel to the devs or try and wait for one of these "dev events" to happen.
    i find this very annoying due to the fact that there are other games i would like to play on the side so i don't burn out over playing this game but for some reason if i really want this dam thing i have to spend every dam waking hour to keep and eye out for one of these dang therakial sword dev events?? add it back into the dam game allready!!!
    They just gave 10 people the sword in zone!!! Where were you?!?
  • blazeingdragoonblazeingdragoon Posts: 65 Arc User
    well i can't remember but if i was to say after finding this dam thread i either decided to log off champions online for the rest of the day or decided not to log in. which i find is the most irritating crap i just learned.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I'd rather have the HW blade. MA is too mainstream.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Coming right up "Principessa", do you want it for now or want it packed for home? pig-30.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • atlassarnosianatlassarnosian Posts: 169 Arc User
    So was there ever winners announced or what? I still never heard any updates back from this
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png
    Playing CO since August 25, 2012
    Lifetime sub since July 6, 2017

YouTube|Steam|DeviantArt|FurAffinity
    "Don't call me lizard!"
    They announced it to the winners only