test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reminder. Best ever sidekick simulator has been rereleased this week.

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Vaan was a mistake.
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!

Comments

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    gradii said:

Never played that one, how is it a sidekick simulator?​​

Balthier was meant to be the main character but Square suits said to the devs add a new protagonist that girls would like. So they quickly added Vaan. Vaan does nothing of merit in this game :D
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    nepht said:

gradii said:

Never played that one, how is it a sidekick simulator?​​

Balthier was meant to be the main character but Square suits said to the devs add a new protagonist that girls would like. So they quickly added Vaan. Vaan does nothing of merit in this game :D

he shows off his chest for the girls...

how many times have female characters been added for only that reason for the guys?

Final Fantasy has always targeted both guys and girls, so im not surprised that they fan service both ether.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    They both look about 15 years old in that post above, maybe they should add adults for sex appeal.

That being said, I do like the franchise...... but would much prefer Balthier rather than Vaan as the main guy.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

They both look about 15 years old in that post above, maybe they should add adults for sex appeal.

^ This. This so much. I am glad I am not the only one that finds that s&^% creepy and wrong.
    Its japan! While I dont agree with it, there is nothing one can do about it. Given the day and age we live in, nothing shocks me anymore...not even the fan base that defends it and calls me an old prude!

But watching dragonball on cartoon network then buying the dvd set was what disgusted me after seeing what was edited out X_X ...i burned the dvds! Now I only watch animes my friends (i can trust) tell me is family friendly.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
    edited July 2017

Its japan! While I dont agree with it, there is nothing one can do about it. Given the day and age we live in, nothing shocks me anymore...not even the fan base that defends it and calls me an old prude!

Saying my old man is from there and he keeps sending me over Hyperdimension Neptunia games I will have to agree. He tried to send me Nitroplus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel via steam and I was like F%$£ off I'd rather have Bad Rats.

That whole place is just wrong.

nepht said:

That whole place is just wrong.

You will get no argument from me!

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    nepht wrote: »
    Balthier Ashe was meant to be the main character but Square suits said to the devs add a new protagonist that girls would like. So they quickly added Vaan. Vaan does nothing of merit in this game :D
    FTFY, considering most of the game seems to revolve around her plot. It's too bad that either square was too chickenshit to give us a true female lead, or that the typical FF player was the typical lame teenager who needed an equally lame character to imprint on. And so we got Vaan. Also, because he needed a love interest and Ashe was way out of his league, we also ended up getting hop-along Penelo.

I kept wondering when the rest of the gang was going to kick those silly street rats out, but they never did. :(

That said, Balthier as a lead would've pleased a larger chunk of the female audience much moreso than Vaan did. But again, Ashe would've been best, but they just had to save the female protagonist for the the worst FF game in the series (besides the MMOs which don't count!) and I really don't need to say which one that is. :)​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    aesica said:

It's too bad that either square was too chickenshit to give us a true female lead, or that the typical FF player was the typical lame teenager who needed an equally lame character to imprint on.

but they just had to save the female protagonist for the the worst FF game in the series (besides the MMOs which don't count!) and I really don't need to say which one that is. :)​​

Surely you're not discounting Terra for a female lead, or calling 6 the worst in the series.

edited July 2017
    aesica said:

FTFY, considering most of the game seems to revolve around her plot. It's too bad that either square was too chickenshit to give us a true female lead, or that the typical FF player was the typical lame teenager who needed an equally lame character to imprint on. And so we got Vaan. Also, because he needed a love interest and Ashe was way out of his league, we also ended up getting hop-along Penelo.

I kept wondering when the rest of the gang was going to kick those silly street rats out, but they never did. :(

That said, Balthier as a lead would've pleased a larger chunk of the female audience much moreso than Vaan did. But again, Ashe would've been best, but they just had to save the female protagonist for the the worst FF game in the series (besides the MMOs which don't count!) and I really don't need to say which one that is. :)​​

NIce fan theory but the devs have stated the dude that claimed he was the leading man really was the leading man
    http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/members/b/meggo_blog/archive/2010/01/02/so-the-star-of-ff12-was-supposed-to-be-balthier.aspx
    A low tier Yuna copy never stood a chance.

edited July 2017
    Surely you're not discounting Terra for a female lead, or calling 6 the worst in the series.
    Terra is often seen as the main character because she's the first one you meet and thus imprint upon, but there are times when she's in your party and times when she isn't. Additionally, you don't even need to find and recruit her in the WoR to finish the game.

FF6 didn't have a "true" lead character, but she definitely was the closest.

Edit: Also NO! FF6 is one of my favorites, even to this day. I played that game to death and beyond.
    nepht wrote: »
    NIce fan theory but the devs have stated the dude that claimed he was the leading man really was the leading man
    http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/members/b/meggo_blog/archive/2010/01/02/so-the-star-of-ff12-was-supposed-to-be-balthier.aspx
    A low tier Yuna copy never stood a chance.
    Ashe was far more of a badass than Yuna. :(

That said, while it may have been the intent for Balthier to lead the show, the story as it ended up being told was centered more around Ashe than Balthier.

That said, either would've made a fine lead. Really anyone but Vaan, who spent pretty much the entire game sitting on the bench with Penelo. ^^​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica said:

Terra is often seen as the main character because she's the first one you meet and thus imprint upon, but there are times when she's in your party and times when she isn't. Additionally, you don't even need to find and recruit her in the WoR to finish the game.

FF6 didn't have a "true" lead character, but she definitely was the closest.

Terra was the main character for the first half, in the WoB. The entire plot revolved around her and her half-esper heritage. And she might have forcibly left the party at one point, but I can think of another FF lead that did that as well.

The reason why Terra wasn't the lead in the WoR was that the 2nd half's main character, who was the 2nd female lead in a Final Fantasy game, was Celes.

2 female leads in 1 game. Imagine that.

Terra was the main character for the first half, in the WoB. The entire plot revolved around her and her half-esper heritage. And she might have forcibly left the party at one point, but I can think of another FF lead that did that as well.

The reason why Terra wasn't the lead in the WoR was that the 2nd half's main character, who was the 2nd female lead in a Final Fantasy game, was Celes.

2 female leads in 1 game. Imagine that.
    Being the focus for part of the story isn't the same as being the focus for the entire game or the player's entry point into the game's world. To contrast, look at Tidus in FF10. The story progresses from his viewpoint and he even narrates parts of it. Cecil was the main character in FF4 because while others came and went, he was always there and the story unfolded from his perspective.

Now, let's talk about a game where the main character actually can go away, yet is still the main character: Chrono Trigger. Even though you could (if I recall) technically finish the game without ever saving Crono, he's still the lead because the entire story up until the point where he gets disintegrated is told from his perspective. Specifically, he's presented in a way that the player takes on his role. For example, aside from maybe 1-2 dialogs in the entire game, everything he says is either implied based on how other characters respond to him, or is the result of some option the player selects during dialog. This gives the player the feeling that they are speaking for this character specifically. Role playing. In contrast, Terra nearly always spoke for herself. While some dialog interactions (like joining the Returners) have the player making choices for Terra, other interactions have the player answering for other characters or even the entire group.

Don't get me wrong, I like to consider Terra the main character in FF6 for the same reasons I consider Ashe the lead in FF12, but since the story isn't always told from their points of view, calling them the true mains feels like a stretch. Yes, even if much of the story revolves around them.​​
    Terra is the main character in FF VI don't know how anyone that has played the game can say different.

What about the people who only ever had her in their party when they absolutely had to?​​
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    nepht said:

^ This. This so much. I am glad I am not the only one that finds that s&^% creepy and wrong.
    Maybe cause they prey like them young and vulnerable, a kink for youth cause they lost theirs.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    edited July 2017
    rtma said:

nepht said:

Maybe cause they prey like them young and vulnerable, a kink for youth cause they lost theirs.
    Well keep in mind that we're talking about Japanese developers here. 25 year olds that look like they're 12 is just a reality of daily life in Japan.

• darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    Creepy as . . .
    are those life sized dolls or people wearing cartoon masks?? O.o

Could be life-sized dolls. Apparently, there's a growing trend among Japanese men that involves romance with sex dolls, but I don't think I can post any links or videos about it here. :D

Seriously though, how much would your love life have to suck to make a person turn to something like that?​​
    edited July 2017

Does it matter? Is one really better than the other?
    aesica said:

Seriously though, how much would your love life have to suck to make a person turn to something like that?​​

Yeah, that alaskan logger who lives in a town where the ratio of men to women is 50 to 1 is a real loser, amirite? >:D
    spinnytop said:

Does it matter? Is one really better than the other?

Point...

...but there is also the issue of not being able to unsee something... =U.U=

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

aesica said:

Yeah, that alaskan logger who lives in a town where the ratio of men to women is 50 to 1 is a real loser, amirite? >:D
    I think it may be fair to say his love life sucks (assuming his preference is for women) whether or not he's a loser.
    edited July 2017

spinnytop said:

aesica said:

I think it may be fair to say his love life sucks (assuming his preference is for women) whether or not he's a loser.
    True. On the other hand the guy who's married and got one because his wife can't keep up with his libido... I think his love life is anything but suck o3o

I guess my point is: Entertain the idea that people get those things for reasons other than "huh huh, he can't get laid"
  • orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    nepht said:

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that they should change it. People like what they're getting, so there's no reason to change it.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Good point. There's an absolutely massive number of Alaskan loggers living in Japan. ^^​​
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    Vann looks extremely like a Twink​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    aesica said:

Good point. There's an absolutely massive number of Alaskan loggers living in Japan. ^^​​

Yeah cause only people in Japan get those dolls.
    Yeah cause only people in Japan get those dolls.
    Right, but going back to my original comment, I was specifically referring to men in Japan who turn to sex dolls for literal romance because something in their current marriage isn't working out.​​
    I never said "only" married guys, either. You're trying too hard. ^^​​
    are you talking about Dakimakura body pillows? thinking-face_1f914.png​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!

edited July 2017
    I see you are a man with excellent tastes pig-35.gif​​
    Big kitty pillow : 3

I GOT THIS
    71c.gif
    I could never get myself to play any Final Fantasy
    does Kingdom Hearts counts? of cource not, if it did you would get a whole essay from me on how Nomura screw up the "plot" with Dream Drop Distance nonsense or how Re:Coded is POINTLESS​​

No, Disney-Final Fantasy fansmashwankfest never counts.
    avianos said:

I GOT THIS

71c.gif

I could never get myself to play any Final Fantasy

does Kingdom Hearts counts? of cource not, if it did you would get a whole essay from me on how Nomura screw up the "plot" with Dream Drop Distance nonsense or how Re:Coded is POINTLESS​​

if he can lift a train like that, he'd better do more then just 700 damage!!

spinnytop said:

Pile driving a train? Really? :T

It's not a pile driver.

If you think that's over the top, you've clearly never played a Final Fantasy game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCI-UZtEi4​​
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I've only ever cared about Final Fantasy Tactics.

edited July 2017
    aesica said:

If you think that's over the top, you've clearly never played a Final Fantasy game.

image​​

"...but.....I..just brought a sword....!"

jennymachx wrote: »
    FFT, for the most part, wasn't totally over the top like the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5WpYs4Hah4

Okay, so maybe an animation that nukes the entire battlefield, but only deals damage in a small part of it sort of counts.​​
    edited July 2017
    jennymachx wrote: »

I actually tried FF:Tactics Advance, but Unfortenly I SUCK at strategy games I couldnt continue
    same reason i never got into Tactical Waifu Simulator Fire Emblem

However I'm really interested in Final Fantasy IX and FF: Crystal Chronicles
    First of all, it's SUPLEX U.U
    and Second, better than Trainwrecking the thread with unrelated CAT Gifs when we discuss about LEWD Body Pillows about imaginary characters from a JRPG series​​
    Post edited by avianos on