test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Deleted Guide]

itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
edited October 2019 in Controls and Interface
This guide, in addition to others, has been pulled in protest.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1213719/xmpp-sunset/p1

Thank you for playing Champions Online and for many years of enjoyment.
Brou in Cryptic games.
Post edited by itsbrou#5396 on

Comments

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You have no idea on how long I wanted this...thank you so much. Does the same command also close all open inventory windows?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sounds great! Does it always open all bags in the same order? Can't wait to try it.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited September 2019

Brou in Cryptic games.
  • fr0gurtfr0gurt Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nice find! You should post it in the list of protips to stop that thread from becoming necrotic.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It cannot, because this command will start glitching and open only some windows while closing others.

You can hold esc to close the windows, or bind esc with this:

/bind ESC "genremovewindow Inventory_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$cleartargetorbringupmenu"

I'm assuming that this bind will not only close all open bag windows, but also bring up the main menu after. If so, you rock major.
  • gaslockegaslocke Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Does the same command also close all open inventory windows?

You can still do what it appears your intention was in asking this question.
    You can press the hotkey and open all bags then again press the same key and close all bags.

This is how I have my bag bind set up:

Create a .txt file in the Champions folder called: "Bagsopen.txt" (On my Win 7 it's location is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live)
    Put the following in:

i "genaddwindow Inventory_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root $$ Bind_load_file Bagsclose.txt"

Create a second .txt file in the same folder called: "Bagsclose.txt"
    Put the following in:

i "genremovewindow Inventory_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root $$ Bind_load_file Bagsopen.txt"

Now log into Champions and type or copy/paste the following:
    /Bind_load_file Bagsopen.txt

Press Enter.

That's it, you're done, now by pressing "i" (or whatever hotkey you prefer in it's place), you will cycle between opening all bags and closing all bags.

NOTE:
    For those curious in what order the bags open in, you can set their order and orientation.
    MANUALLY open all of your bags however you want them to open, then close them all. That's it, now every time you press your hotkey they will open that way.

To change it, simply repeat the process.

*Edited for horrible spelling boo boos.

Ashlocke was my original forum name but was unable to keep it during the PW forum migration. *Shakes Fist* :frown:
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Holy schnikes! This is awesome Brou! gj! :smile:
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ah, perfect. Now we can all stop playing with our bags.

*raises Spartan shield to guard against impending volley of rotten tomatoes due to the bad joke*
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes awsum! Now It's much easier for me to empty my bags on the floor!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to copy these binds and paste them into my chat window, it gets cut off because I run out of room in the chat bar. Is there some way to increase the max number of characters, so that it all fits?
    edited March 2013
    Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to copy these binds and paste them into my chat window, it gets cut off because I run out of room in the chat bar. Is there some way to increase the max number of characters, so that it all fits?

If for any reason you cannot fit the command on the chat bar, open the game console with /console and paste the command in, deleting the slash before the word bind.

Dismiss the console afterwards with tilde.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited March 2013
    You can also simply omit all of the underscores they do nothing as far as the game's command parser is concerned, they are there for our benefit to act as "spaces" to make the long string of commands easier to read.

However, this will likely only help you fit your command if you are only slightly over the character limit, so Brou's suggestion is the better all inclusive solution.

Ashlocke was my original forum name but was unable to keep it during the PW forum migration. *Shakes Fist* :frown:
    edited March 2013
    gaslocke wrote: »
    You can also simply omit all of the underscores they do nothing as far as the game's command parser is concerned, they are there for our benefit to act as "spaces" to make the long string of commands easier to read.

However, this will likely only help you fit your command if you are only slightly over the character limit, so Brou's suggestion is the better all inclusive solution.

I thought I tried that before and it didn't work. Maybe I made a typo in the slash command I was trying to remove underscores from.

Either way, thank you both.
    You can press the hotkey and open all bags then again press the same key and close all bags.

Create a .txt file in the Champions folder called: "Bagsopen.txt" (On my Win 7 it's location is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live)
    Put the following in:

i "genaddwindow Inventory_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root $$ Bind_load_file Bagsclose.txt"

Put the following in:

i "genremovewindow Inventory_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genremovewindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root $$ Bind_load_file Bagsopen.txt"

Press Enter.

That's it, you're done, now by pressing "i" (or whatever hotkey you prefer in it's place), you will cycle between opening all bags and closing all bags.

NOTE:
    For those curious in what order the bags open in, you can set their order and orientation.
    MANUALLY open all of your bags however you want them to open, then close them all. That's it, now every time you press your hotkey they will open that way.

bags will open on i but don't close on i.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2013
    If you follow those directions it will. :wink:

edited March 2013
    I haven't played with binds much in CO, but your instructions contain a lot of extraneous spaces, Gaslocke. In CoH, those would have irreparably broken the binds.

However, I just tested, and your binds, spaces included, worked just fine. I even tried changing the filename of one so that one tried to open "bagsopen", but the target was "Bagsopen". It still worked.

Chaelk, try again, but be VERY careful about copying everything perfectly; no truncated quotation marks, etc.
    Oddly enough I'm an odd duck in that I never use underscores when I write my binds, all I did above was rather than copy/pasting the binds I've been using I simply copy/pasted Brou's bind from his posts above to make them easier for folks to read.

The other instructions I filled in as needed.

Either way, the bind will work just fine, please feel free to tweek, alter, and add fluff and flair to your binds, it makes the game more enjoyable, at least it does for me. :biggrin:

edited March 2013
    Actually, I wasn't talking about the underscores, but the spaces before and after the $$ in your commands. But apparently they don't cause problems here, so it doesn't matter either way. ;P
    edited March 2013
    Actually, I wasn't talking about the underscores, but the spaces before and after the $$ in your commands. But apparently they don't cause problems here, so it doesn't matter either way. ;P
    The spaces could be ignored. That was just a formatting thing but should not harm the function of the command. I'll see about cleaning up the way it looks.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How did this not get more notice when it was posted?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

*Is proud of his thread necromancy in this case.*
  • yvonnedyvonned Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Type this in your chat window:

/bind Shift+I "genaddwindow Inventory_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$"

All bags will now open when you press Shift+I.

I had a problem with this. For me, copy-and-paste did not work. First, because I only have 4 bags to open (never bought the fifth slot) and second because some of the commands are not spaced correctly. Here's what I mean...

/bind Shift+I "genaddwindow Inventory_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$"

Note, there is a space between the $$ of the 4th bag call and the command to call the 5th bag. But no spaces between the others. First, I had to cut out the 5th call. The command still did not work. Then I added a space to the right places and now it does. Here's my bind command for the same thing, only this is for only 4 bags...

/bind Shift+I "genaddwindow Inventory_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$"

If you have purchased the 5th slot and have a bag in it, try this command...

/bind Shift+I "genaddwindow Inventory_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$ genaddwindow Inventory_Playerbag_Root$$"
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ain't even care that this is a necro, it's still a damn handy bind.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited December 2014
    If this makes me a filthy necromancer, I don't wanna be clean.
    chaelk wrote: »

Put the following in:

Put the following in:

Press Enter.

NOTE:

bags will open on i but don't close on i.

I used this version, the one that used bind files and changing the bind on the letter I at the end of each use, but something about the latest patch broke this badly. no idea what happened, but my bind files for bagsopen and bagsclose were missing and no attempt to rewrite them functions.

I had to eventually resort to using a version of it Brou made, binding one button to open bags and another to close them.
    And using Console command to get around the char character limit.

Kludgey, man, but at least it's sort of working again.

And Necro, for a hella useful, 'should be in game commands as a basic feature' command already, anyhow.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Your files were missing? Where were they installed? I have custom files going back years in my Live folder.

BagsOpen.txt and BagsClosed.txt need to be in the Live folder and I just tested this, it works exactly as expected.

What 'char character limit' are you talking about?

Your shift key may be locked, you can see this by setting a key bind manually using the Key Binds UI in the game and when you go to set a new key for something it automatically introduces "Shift +..." to the keybind. Really annoying.

To undo this situation, you tap Left Shift, then tap Right Shift.

Post edited by nextnametaken on
    Your files were missing? Where were they installed? I have custom files going back years in my Live folder.

BagsOpen.txt and BagsClosed.txt need to be in the Live folder and I just tested this, it works exactly as expected.

I had both of those files, as well as my usual "Binds 1" and other bind files ready for easy loading, in the Live folder as I always have, but when I logged back into the game recently after some time away, and updating it, they were gone. I know I didn't delete them.

Oh, and look, I just double checked. they are still there in the Playtest folder so should work as I had it previously working on PTS.. uless Updating PTS makes those two files go away....

and "Char character limit" was referring to Brous use of console to get around the character limit of the in-game char interface of 175 characters maximum. Console has no such limit. I just typed it very awkwardly.

I'll attempt to copy / paste my files from pts folder to live one and see if reloading those bind files fixes it, but if not at least I have a two button workaround.

Thanks for the comments!
    edited September 2019

Brou in Cryptic games.
  • voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    All-knowing Brou, Is there a command that can change an aura slot's hue?​​
    edited September 2019

Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited July 2016
    [for later]
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User

Unless you're protesting the community, the only ones that suffer here is them... I guarantee it's no skin off Cryptic's nose whether your forum guides exist or not...
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Hmm it was Sept 17... which was in the middle of the anniversary. Hmm....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I think @doctorevilface said it well enough. I definitely disagree with Brou's methods.
    Post edited by speanoz on
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    What were you protesting? o3o
    It was the XMPP sunset.
    What were you protesting? o3o
    It was the XMPP sunset.

It wasn't JUST the XMPP sunset, it was the usual BS on how it was handled, lies told to us about getting back to us to answer our concerns, Bad Community Representation in general.

I can see pulling everything to no longer support a company that can't even be bothered to do the bare minimum to answer our concerns. You know, like following up on their own promises.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Whatever you think of the removal of player guides, when Bluhman removed his guides to protest the original change to the character select screen it was quite clear to me that he was doing it on principle, to him it felt like the right thing to do and wasn't a bargaining ploy. This move by the OP feels like a cheap tactic rather than an actual principled stance.... particularly as the OP was quite clear with what they thought about Bluhman removing his guides at the time. They criticised the move quite blatantly.

If Cryptic didn't really bother with communicating with the community about losing XMPP, they really don't give a Foxbat about a player removing some of their guides over the same issue.
    Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    What was this guide even for? o3o

I think it was a guide for the various ways to bind commands.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    The stickied thread for bindings/commands is still there, 2 under this one on the list.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/175864/faq-for-bindings-commands

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    It appears to have been some specific convenience binds (I see evidence for it being about inventory).
    Maybe it was a guide on how to set up your XMPP chat system ;)
    zrdRBy8.png
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Well, I feel a valid lesson was learned.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Wasn’t it?
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    It appears to have been some specific convenience binds (I see evidence for it being about inventory).

This was a convenience bind for opening and closing all bags with a single button press. It's a shame to see it vanish. This game has issues, both lore wise and otherwise, however attacking the community seems wrong... unless the community was the perpetrator in this case?
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    It's not that hard to understand really. Guides assist players, generally newer ones, with their game experience.

Some guides might enhance or facilitate the players experience (something none of the guides currently on the official "Guides" page does, something I pointed out 2 years ago) causing that player to become more invested in the game.

Some guides provide technical information on specific content, sometimes even doing a better job than the ingame tutorials (ex. Irwin telling you to attack the hearts and dogs at Cosmics, StE being very vague about the objectives).

Some guides like Bluhman's powerset guide (which was removed and restored as protest at one point) can also be considered as a form of advertisement (something that CO has had in overabundance since launch) on the potential a Freeform build can achieve enticing newer players to either sub (..oh right) or buy a FF slot.

So in all, guides can sometimes be the difference for newer players between leaving or staying and becoming invested with the game. The company benefits from this because that's a new potential customer that might buy Zen or a LTS. Remove that guide and you remove that factor that indirectly potentially benefits the company against which you are protesting.​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Yeah I'm sure it's a big deal cause of those hundreds of new players we get every year u3u Might be off on that number by about 2 digits.
    We do have a meaningful number of players who are apparently new, but 'binds to open all your inventory bags at once' or 'how to use demo record' aren't really targeted at new players anyway.
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    This just feels... misguided and unnecessary. In the end, as already stated, it is the community that is being hurt by it. With a game as small as CO, every contribution is greatly appreciated when it comes to bringing more awareness about the various aspects of the game. With as little communication CO has had with its players (such as a readily available GM or forum mod), it is veteran players who are made responsible (very unfortunately) for helping out those that don't know about certain things. For this guide to be taken down, no matter what it was, is more of an insult to anyone who may have found it helpful rather than an insult to CO itself (even if protesting actions on CO's part was the intention). In the end, it only demonstrates poor manners to offer something out of wanting to be helpful and then snatching it away when you are dissatisfied because you can.

TLDR: Taking down your guide only makes for a poor reflection of you and does nothing to Cryptic or its "feefees".

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
This discussion has been closed.