test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Client Crashing and what you can do!

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Gameplay Bugs
Greetings Champions!

Recently we had an issue with the new Whiteout Comic Series and a handful of other maps, where a player's client would hard crash to the desktop, whenever they would attempt to transfer to one of these maps, and then crash on each attempt to log back on to this character again. This issue has been resolved, and we have updated this fix to the LIVE shard prior to this post.

The workaround for this issue that was posted last week, contained some really good information about some steps a player can take, to help prevent similar crashes from continuing, and to also allow the player to continue playing the affected character(s). Because of this, I have decided to re-post this information again, in its own sticky thread, for better access and visibility for any future issues.

Disabling the On-Demand Patching
  1. Open the Champions Online Launcher
  2. Before entering the account information, select the "Options" link in the top right-hand corner of the launcher window.
  3. Check the option labeled "Disable on-demand patching"
  4. Press "ok"
  5. Log in with your account information, and allow the client to fully patch the rest of the client.
    • This may take a decent amount of time depending on your connection speeds.

Force Patching the Champions Online Client
If the steps above do not fix the issue, the next step is to "Force Patch" the entire client with the on-demand patching disabled. Please be warned This will require the entire client to be fully downloaded and patched, which may take a very long time depending on the connections speeds, and that the following steps will also remove all Screenshots, Saved Costumes, and Settings you currently have on the LIVE shard. Please back up all of these files before proceeding with the steps below.
  1. Exit the client and close the launcher
  2. Navigate to the folder where Champions Online is installed
    • On Windows XP/Vista/Win7 32bit the default install folder is "C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online"
    • On Windows XP/Vista/Win7 64bit the default install folder is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online"
  3. Once there, delete the "Live" folder.
  4. Then you may start the client through the launcher as normal; it should start updating the game automatically.

If neither of these two steps resolve the crashing, please contact Cryptic's Customer Service for any further details or steps that can be taken. You can contact them by submitting a ticket into the GM Help Queue from In Game (type "/bug" in the chat window) or submitting a Technical Support ticket from the Cryptic Support Website (http://support.crypticstudios.com/champions_online).
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Any fixes comin for all the crashes that occur once you're actually IN Whiteout?
    edited November 2011
    Powerhelm wrote:
    Any fixes comin for all the crashes that occur once you're actually IN Whiteout?

This.

From my post in this forum on the problem:
    Okay, I give. I have tried to do the Whiteout mission 9 times now and I have only managed to actually complete it 2 of those times. Every other try I have crashed to the desktop. 6 of those was when interacting with the last communications array, one was when interacting with the third communications array, and this latest one was in the next section while fighting some random shape shifted aliens while investigating the bodies.

For fixes I have tried:
    - Restarting my computer
    - Allowing the launcher to verify files after every crash before going back in game
    - Disabling on-demand patching
    - Deleting the "Live" folder from the CO game directory (as suggested above)
    - Updating my video driver to the latest version

So I think I am done with trying to do this issue of the comic series until the crash problems are fixed as I have never had this problem in the game anywhere else. I put in the crash reports what happened each time so I hope that helps.

I'll submit a tech support ticket when I get back from work.
    edited February 2012
    Guys I found a way to get back on Star Trek on line until we can get them to fix it.
    If your computer says this: (Unable to initialize on demand patching and connect to Patch server). Follow these steps. Turn off your firewall, than go to star trek on line and before you put your name and password in go to options and the only thing need to be check is fast launch and than hit ok and put your name and password in. It works for me.
    edited April 2012
    You guys are lucky.. I can't log into any of my characters that are in MC.. even CTD when I try to send a character or even START a character in MC.

Yeah.. they fixed the problem...
  • shidrabeckshidrabeck Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    someone please help me, the game interface looks too big and I can not see anything, I mean the game iu, power bars, chat, and all those things, I can not even set it up to see more tiny because you see the "Apply" button
  • vancelot13377vancelot13377 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Help when i try to launch the game .. it starts but its minimized and it doesn't increases .. Here they created a ALERTS text document and there is writen : 130806 17:53:45 3 [1]: [1]: TriggerAlert(\r\n{\r\n\tKey Logging_Failed\r\n\tString <&At least one log write failed. Filename: (ERRORS.log). Possible windows error: (The operation completed successfully.\\r\\n)&>\r\n\tLevel WARNING\r\n\tMostrecenthappenedtime 429126825\r\n\tContainertypeofobject CRYPTICLAUNCHER\r\n\tIdofobject 1\r\n\tContainertypeofserver CRYPTICLAUNCHER\r\n\tIdofserver 1\r\n\tMachinename speedy\r\n\tAlertuid 1\r\n\tAlertuidstringed 1\r\n\tPatchversion 153271\r\n}\r\n) .. and a ERRORS text document and there is writen : 130806 17:53:45 1 [1]: rrWriteString failure . HELP !! :frown::frown:
  • xxeugenxxxxeugenxx Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i log in Arc launcher and then i select CO...i write down my username and pass...and when i click Login...it doesn`t start...nothing happens.....why?:frown::frown::frown:
  • foradainforadain Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was on briefly but experienced some yoyoing and then was diconneected from server. No success logging back in for 15 minutes now.
    I'm stuck in Millenium city, try to activate the travel power, but my character does not fly, the buttons of "log out" and "change character" not working, and I can´t talk with npcs

pls! help!
  • jdarkkjdarkk Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hello:

I had to reload Arc the other day and Champinos online. Arc loaded and displayed the available games, then when I chose Champions, Arc said it downloaded the game, but when I click play, Arc minimizes and then just seems to sit and twiddle its thumbs. No update occurs, the game window does not come up. I tried loading Star Trek as a test, which did update and display the sign-in screen. Deleting Arc, and reloading it once again ran into the same problem, It would say the game was downloaded and ready to ply, but upon pressing the play button, would just minimize and the start screen for Champions would never appear. Is this a bug? Or is something messed up on my end?
  • jdarkkjdarkk Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I found the trouble to be the anti-virus exclusion file. THe virus had modified it so it was deleted by the AV program. Unfortunately there was no way to identify this until I tried to run other already excluded programs and got the 'won't boot up' problem. So call this one fixed.
  • valcrist24valcrist24 Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    Im having issues getting past the launcher screen. The system would go into the Trying to update the Launcher. Please be patient screen. Would attempt to connect maybe 4 to 5 times, then nothing. It gives up. This has been happening multiple times........To quote someone famous, Wassapwitdat!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    valcrist24 wrote: »
    Im having issues getting past the launcher screen. The system would go into the Trying to update the Launcher. Please be patient screen. Would attempt to connect maybe 4 to 5 times, then nothing. It gives up. This has been happening multiple times........To quote someone famous, Wassapwitdat!

your issue today is not related. please search prior to posting in other threads.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=298751
  • shadowslash2shadowslash2 Posts: 1 New User
    I'm running into a crashing issue as well. But I think it has to do with the fact that I have a character based on Shadow the Hedgehog. Because I once had a character based on Sans from Undertale and it began crashing.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    The game is learning to detect clones.
    And getting rid of them.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!