test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retaliation buff mechanics

ares#7140 ares Posts: 40 Arc User
Hello! I'm using the HW block ability, which provides a buff increasing the damage of your next attack by 120% damage strength. However, I've been a bit unsure on how this works exactly, as when I am tanking cosmics, I have never noticed any actual increase to damage against a cosmic target after blocking compared to if I simply tap annihilate normally.

Now, there are a couple of things that could be playing into this. The first of which is that I use the Primus Spark Shield device, which reflects a portion of the damage I take back at the boss. I was thinking that perhaps that is what may be consuming the retaliation buff, but I don't think a mistake as simple and obvious as that would be overlooked within the game mechanics. Similarly, I use the an advantage which applies Clinging Flames to a target through Eruption. It has left me wondering if perhaps the dot ticks might be consuming or somehow bugging the buff?

As such, I'm left wondering what exactly is going on here and if I'm simply using a bugged, useless block ability or if indeed my own device is cheating me out of additional damage/threat and would very much appreciate some insight on the subject.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I'm not sure about the devices consuming it, though that's possible. Retaliate and Guard's dmg proc should show up as a normal buff icon (separate from the temp icon you get from blocking), so if you see that being consumed before your next planned attack then that'd be evidence that something else is using it. The dmg bonus is in the earliest/passive layer, iirc, so it's subject to potentially heavy DR either way.

Edit: quick testing w/ the Spark Shield slotted in the PH's Battle Station didn't have it passively consume the Retaliate buff, so I don't think that's the issue here (same thing w/ Clinging Flames already being up- DoT ticks didn't apply/consume it). It may just be that dmg DR + a skill's tap dmg already not being high per hit is why its harder to notice then.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • ares#7140 ares Posts: 40 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    The dmg bonus is in the earliest/passive layer, iirc, so it's subject to potentially heavy DR either way.

Curious about that specific statement actually. I personally though that since it's a flat 120% damage strength increase, it wouldn't be effected by any "DR", but rather just add an amount of first-layer damage to the attack equal to 120% of its base damage, which is then multiplied by other layers etc. Wasn't aware that it would actually be heavily reduced. Wouldn't that then make Retaliate and Guard obsolete as abilities, if that's the case?
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    flowcyto wrote: »
    The dmg bonus is in the earliest/passive layer, iirc, so it's subject to potentially heavy DR either way.

Curious about that specific statement actually. I personally though that since it's a flat 120% damage strength increase, it wouldn't be effected by any "DR", but rather just add an amount of first-layer damage to the attack equal to 120% of its base damage, which is then multiplied by other layers etc. Wasn't aware that it would actually be heavily reduced. Wouldn't that then make Retaliate and Guard obsolete as abilities, if that's the case?
    120% would mean more than double base dmg if not subject to DR, and even testing w/ poor stats that def isn't the case. I'm pretty sure the normal DR for passive dmg bonuses applies (the same given from SS's, slotted passives, toggle/forms, etc). Doesn't make the ability obsolete as much as blunts its potential a good bit. It will at least be a bit better for you as a tank since you won't have quite as many dmg bonuses as a dps does.

For a geared dps w/ a stacked toggle/form, +50% bonus damage can mean as little as +4-5% final dmg, so maybe R3 Retaliate buff gives a ~10-12% dmg buff for a geared dps' next hit (before enemy defenses are factored). It'd be more for you, but not sure exactly how much (you can always test it for yourself, though I'm guessing its in the 20-30% range if you have a stacked toggle/form).

edit: oh, and it seems like the Retaliate/Guard dmg buff can still be consumed by energy builder hits, so also be wary of that.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!