test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Circle of Ebon Wrath suggestion

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited January 2019 in Suggestions Box
I thought this up in another thread, planting it here as a suggestion.

So first, move CoEW into the Darkness tree. Maybe move Aura of Ebon Wrath there too for consistency.

Second, while standing in the circle, any time the player uses an offensive Life Drain effect they gain additional stacks of the circle's damage buff. These stacks fall off quickly, so the player is encouraged to keep using Life Drain effects inbetween pushing out higher damage attacks.

This makes the circle more useful than it is now, while also preventing it from just being tacked on to every dps build. Also feels very Darknessy, stealing life force from your enemies and using it to empower your own attacks.

Would require other adjustments, etc...​​

Comments

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    Pre On-Alert, it used to be a nice way of making every power generate Fear.

Now, to add to your suggestion, I'd almost prefer the Fear part to be an Advantage. Additionally, a Poison and Dependency advantages, so that it works with any of the 3 "life drain" powers. Each would "apply" 1 stack of Fear, Poison, or Dependency, and only do Refreshing of the 1 stack every 3-5(?) seconds.

Or, just the 1 Advantage that does all 3 for 3pts? Too much?​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Well, Life Essence and Mind Drain are already tagged as Life Drain effects, so they would work with this by default, no advantages required.​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Maybe it could boost darkness powers a lot, dimension/paranormal/magical a medium amount and all other powers a bit less?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    But all 3 need those corresponding effects to allow the associated "life drain" to be AoE.​​

Yeah but I don't think the circle should be replacing the need to get powers to apply those effects.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I'd be tempted to have it convert a portion of healing (to you) into extra damage. Would make certain healing powers interesting offensively on a support build.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yeah but I don't think the circle should be replacing the need to get powers to apply those effects.​​
    Whether you're getting the other power or the circle, you're still getting a second power to apply the effects.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    I feel a case can be made for it either way. I just figured since it already had the FEAR and you want it usable for the other "life drain" powers, this would be a good fit. But, your point is valid too.​​

edited January 2019
    aesica wrote: »
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yeah but I don't think the circle should be replacing the need to get powers to apply those effects.
    Whether you're getting the other power or the circle, you're still getting a second power to apply the effects.

No, you're getting the Circle for the benefits the circle provides, which would be significant. Tossing in the ability to then escape power requirements for other powers is too much. It'd be fine with CoEW as it is on live right now. Remember that they put these requirements in place for a reason - better to work with things the way they are than try to pretend they're not.​​
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Right, but in order to avoid making your new version something every damage build would require, its effects can only be so good. In other words, not good enough to mandate weaving drain + main attack + drain, but rather, just a way to not lose as much (or any?) dps should you decide to switch to drain for a channel or two.

So by itself, that's still not much of a reason to take CoEW. Being able to also apply the drain's aoe component debuff would sweeten the deal without being a full replacement for the more mainstream appliers of those effects (well, for dependency and poison anyway, since the proposition was only for a single stack).
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    Nah, with this change it'd be worth taking for people using Life Drain tagged attacks. It doesn't also need to fulfill a full power requirement. I'd even suggest removing the Fear application.​​