test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Oh wow, I can't subscribe!!!!

I come back from deployment and my subscription is no more and I can't even play my characters without paying $300 bucks. I have to pay for slots... what about the people that have always been a subscriber? Am I missing something here? I've played the game off and on because of life and job issues, always subscribing when I play and I've bought tons of zen. Why???

Comments

• Options
    mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    The decision to drop subscriptions was made a while back. I have no idea why they dropped subscriptions... personally it seems like a damned good idea for any MMO to ensure a fairly steady cash flow. That aside, the LTS goes on sale fairly often and can basically pay for itself as it adds 500 zen to your account every month regardless of if you've logged on.

Apparently some people have had luck getting the time cards to work if you want to go that route. I believe there is a supply of them on amazon, though how long that'll last I can't say. The good news is that legally, I believe, they have to honor them.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    daboss03 wrote: »
    ...what about the people that have always been a subscriber?

Many things were suggested to help ease long-time subscribers into this. What we managed to get was lower slot costs and at one point a 60% off LTS sale.​​
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    the people that have always been a subscriber
    If you were active one, you'd still be one.

And you can continue byuing Zen and getting you characters back.
    They still requiere money for the Freeforms.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    daboss03daboss03 Posts: 4 Arc User
    This is not good.
  • Options
    This is not good.

It's over, this is how things are now. We understand if you no longer wish to play the game.​​
  • Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    We don't know the technicalities since we are just customers, but the decision to drop subscriptions affected all Cryptic games and probably came from the hosting company (PWI).

PWI does not know much about CO (nor cares tbf) and thus did not know the implications of dropping sub system would have in CO seeing as subs were intrinsicaly tied to character creation and playability. We the playerbase complained about the first pass and managed to lessen the blow a bit by the introducion of a FF conversion system and the Premium Pack.

Not the best option, but much better than the alternative.​​
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    This is not good.

It's over, this is how things are now. We understand if you no longer wish to play the game.​​
    It's not about that for some of us. It's about not actually being able to play at all because we can't dish out $300 or $30 for each character.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    This is not good.

It's not about that for some of us. It's about not actually being able to play at all because we can't dish out $300 or $30 for each character.
    Believe me, I understand being broke - but if the equivalent of two months' sub to secure your favorite character is too steep, you might have been living too close to the edge of financial disaster to justify a Gold subscription in the first place. (That's why I used to vary between Gold and Silver, and learned about keeping an AT I owned because as long as that didn't change I could go freely between Gold and Silver status.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Well they give you a bunch of character slots for free via the premium pack, so technically you can still play by creating some new AT characters. Sure, that kinda sucks compared to playing your FF characters, and that's why it's understandable if somebody would no longer want to play the game. They still technically can, but it's understandable if they don't want to. That's just what the situation is now and more debating the matter won't change it.​​
  • Options

Well they give you a bunch of character slots for free via the premium pack, so technically you can still play by creating some new AT characters. Sure, that kinda sucks compared to playing your FF characters, and that's why it's understandable if somebody would no longer want to play the game. They still technically can, but it's understandable if they don't want to. That's just what the situation is now and more debating the matter won't change it.​​
    Protest shows player(or potential player) dislike, and it is in the game company's best interest to want as many players playing their game. And besides, more protest has been demonstrated to change the course of games. Do some research.

What we shouldn't do is leave a game as it is if we dislike it.

If you like the state of the game, that's fine. But others do not. Just because it's inconvenient for you to see someone not satisfied with the game doesn't mean they need to stop speaking out about it.
  • Options
    Protest shows player(or potential player) dislike, and it is in the game company's best interest to want as many players playing their game. And besides, more protest has been demonstrated to change the course of games. Do some research.

What we shouldn't do is leave a game as it is if we dislike it.

If you like the state of the game, that's fine. But others do not. Just because it's inconvenient for you to see someone not satisfied with the game doesn't mean they need to stop speaking out about it.

Yeah, we did change it. If you think you can get some sort of second wave going, go for it.​​
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I'm curious if they are actually making more money now with this change. That's really the bottom line. Has any online game ever done away with subscriptions and then gone back to them because they change turned out to be a financial mistake in the long run?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I'm curious if they are actually making more money now with this change. That's really the bottom line.
    Well, in an indirect way maybe. I suspect the point was to reduce and eventually eliminate the expenses associated with the subscription system. It's a financial product, you can't just let them sit without maintenance.
  • Options
    Sure, but are they making more money now without subscriptions than they were with them? Did they miscalculate the number of people who would buy the other products to continue playing vs. how many would just not play anymore since they could subscribe? I know we'll never know the answer. Just wonder how it is playing out for them.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Sure, but are they making more money now without subscriptions than they were with them? Did they miscalculate the number of people who would buy the other products to continue playing vs. how many would just not play anymore since they could subscribe?
    Remember that the subscription system covers multiple games, and for most of them subscriptions were actually pretty irrelevant. It is quite possible that losing all of the players who were using ongoing subscriptions in CO would still be a net win (this is unfortunate for CO, but we're not a very big fish).
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    This is not good.

If you could afford to spend $15 for a one month subscription, then you can afford to spend $30 one time to unlock a freeform slot for the life of the game.
    Bank accounts are good for saving money, or you can just stash it somewhere in your house/room and with just the smallest amount of personal discipline in two months or less you have the money that you need.

From there? Well, the easy thing to do is to continue to save up the money that you would have spent on that subscription and either periodically unlock the other characters that you really want to play again or just wait until you have enough for a lifetime sub.
    Keep in mind that you can buy three unlocks at a discount. Same as two single unlocks, I think, at regular price.

And none of this takes into account the option to use an AT to grind for questionite.

• Options
    Keep in mind that you can buy three unlocks at a discount. Same as two single unlocks, I think, at regular price.
    Yep, one slot for $30/3000 Zen, three slots for $60/6000 Zen.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    If you could afford to spend $15 for a one month subscription, then you can afford to spend $30 one time to unlock a freeform slot for the life of the game.
    That's not how it works. People out there have dozens upon dozens of characters. They have been locked out.

You're pretty much trying to rationalize people literally being unable to play the vast majority of content that they have earned. You're not going to be successful here, it's simple math.
    Bank accounts are good for saving money, or you can just stash it somewhere in your house/room and with just the smallest amount of personal discipline in two months or less you have the money that you need.

From there? Well, the easy thing to do is to continue to save up the money that you would have spent on that subscription and either periodically unlock the other characters that you really want to play again or just wait until you have enough for a lifetime sub.

And none of this takes into account the option to use an AT to grind for questionite.
    Or we could keep demanding change. Again.

No, this isn't good enough. Don't like to see the complaints about it? Tough.
  • Options
    That's not how it works.

No, that is actually how it works. If you have another way, do tell.

No, this isn't good enough. Don't like to see the complaints about it? Tough.

We see complaints on these forums every day. I'm sure we'll manage with one more.

Or we could keep demanding change. Again.

You mentioned this a while ago. So how's the 2nd wave of protest coming along? Still just a few scattered posts or any real progress?​​
  • Options
    pialokipialoki Posts: 3 Arc User
    Just to drop my two cents on this, I had the exact same experience. I have a couple dozen characters from when I was subscribed years and years ago, all locked out now. I was planning on subscribing again, but finding everything locked, and when I converted characters, I didn't have access to all the costume pieces that were already on my characters... It was a bit discouraging to say the least.

I get my best option is a lifetime subscription, which would alleviate all my problems long term, but like... I don't want to go dropping $300 (or $120 I guess if they ever did that 60% sale again) without knowing the game isn't going to up and get shut down on me in a year's time. This game is very old now. Walking in and seeing it so empty made me wonder how long til PWI pulls the plug on them.

I'm not just speaking for me. About five of us were about to come back, and I don't know that we will now things being like it is.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    pialoki wrote: »
    I didn't have access to all the costume pieces that were already on my characters... It was a bit discouraging to say the least.

If you were at any point in time subbed, you can claim the premium pack for free in the bonus tab of the zen store. This contains all costumes that were granted from the sub model.​​
  • Options
    It doesn't give you freeform - that costs money. If, like many here, you only played a couple of characters anyway, you can open up one slot for the cost of two months' sub before, or three for the cost of four months, with the additional factor that you'd never have to pay again. Or you can pick up an LTS for $299, slightly less than the cost of 20 months of the old monthly, or catch it on sale for $199, just over the cost of 13 months.

You can't get what you used to pay for, for free. That's not going to happen. You can, however, get a lot of it for free, by claiming that Premium Pack. As for worries about longevity, Cryptic owns the Champions IP, having purchased it outright from Hero Games before they started CO. So long as it's even marginally profitable, CO isn't going anywhere. (Cue the cynics saying it's not going anywhere already...)

• Options
    "I was willing to pay, but then I saw that it cost money so I'm no longer willing to pay."

Yes I get that it's about wanting to have all your characters but it's still amusing uwu​​
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    As for worries about longevity, Cryptic owns the Champions IP, having purchased it outright from Hero Games before they started CO. So long as it's even marginally profitable, CO isn't going anywhere. (Cue the cynics saying it's not going anywhere already...)

It's not Cryptic I'm worried about. It's PWI. That's the big question. Is it actually worth it to them to keep it around for another couple years at least? Otherwise, I'm too late to the party and I need to go find other games.

That's the problem I see here. My situation creates a paradox. I can spend money to support the game and contribute to keeping it going, but yet at the same time I can't tell if the game is worth spending money on because I don't know how long it is going to keep going. I suspect this is the same for a lot of others returning to it.

My issue with the whole costume thing got resolved cause of the free Premium Pack, so thanks for that. All of my other issues would be solved with a LTS (dozens of locked gold slots, new costume packs, etc. etc.)
  • Options
    I will confess that I'm not that familiar with PW, but I'm told that they have a similar track record of keeping games online so long as they are at least minimally profitable (and the longevity of some of their titles would seem to support this contention). I will say that I'm sufficiently unworried that I purchased an LTS at full price a couple of years ago (it started being a "profit" for me about three or four months back, based on stipend value).

• Options
    Well, if you guys as long time players think the game is gonna stick around, I might have to keep an eye out for a sale on the LTS. I really miss the game, but I think it's my only option for how I play.

I might do some research on PW first too. I'm a CoX veteran too, so I'm leery of these companies like this doing what happened there.
  • Options
    Unfortunately you missed a $200 sale just before Christmas. They seem to run them 2-3 times a year now, so keep checking in if you don't want to pay the full price and feel you can wait.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    This is not good.

Ignore Spinny, they have zero ability to understand people's complaints about things. And, even if they did, they still don't care.

Yeah, the move was a bad one. But, beyond buying free form slots, there is also something you should be able
    I will confess that I'm not that familiar with PW, but I'm told that they have a similar track record of keeping games online so long as they are at least minimally profitable (and the longevity of some of their titles would seem to support this contention). I will say that I'm sufficiently unworried that I purchased an LTS at full price a couple of years ago (it started being a "profit" for me about three or four months back, based on stipend value).

Considering the fact that their flagship game "Perfect World" is still around and that game is even older than CO (PW launched in 2006 while CO launched in 2009)...yeah, they are indeed very much like that. At the same time, something tells me they really do not care if CO stays or goes and will leave that up to Cryptic. If Cryptic one day said "I don't think we can continue running CO as is due to profits being the negatives." PWI would most likely go "Do what you have to do." And, unless ARC is doing something odd, despite CO's low pop, it is one of their top 5 weekly played games. My bet is ARC is doing something odd...

But, even than, this is not 100% true. They have closed lots of games: Legend of Martial Arts, Jade Dynasty, Chi Bi, Hot Dance Party, Ether Sage Odyssey, Battle of the Immortals, Swordsman Online. They have also developed some other games that I couldn't find any info on if they are closed or just kept in China. Hell, Swordsman Online launched in 2014 and closed in 2018. So, CO still being around seems more like it is because Cryptic is wanting to keep it around and PWI just saying "Do as you want."

In short, it is pointless to worry about this stuff. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    soulforger wrote: »
    Yeah, the move was a bad one. But, beyond buying free form slots, there is also something you should be able

You uh... wanna finish that thought?​​
  • Options
    But, beyond buying free form slots, there is also something you should be able
    Look, we all know Telepathy needs a pass, but there are better ways of calling that out than making us try to use it to understand what you're saying here.

• Options

You uh... wanna finish that thought?​​

purchase.
  • Options
    But, beyond buying free form slots, there is also something you should be able
    Look, we all know Telepathy needs a pass, but there are better ways of calling that out than making us try to use it to understand what you're saying here.

Sorry, somehow lost just one freaking word. which was "purchase".
  • Options
    esaloesalo Posts: 2 Arc User
    > If you could afford to spend $15 for a one month subscription, then you can afford to spend $30 one time to unlock a freeform slot for the life of the game.

This is the dumbest argument I've heard. Paying $15 for a month unlocking all archentypes and have the ability to play more than 1 freeform hero is A LOT better than paying $30 for just unlock 1 freeform slot…

This change kills the game for me... There's no way I am continue playing this game, where the only choice is to buy lifetime sub for $300, or unlock my characters (I believe I have 5 freeforms that i use to play), $120 to be able to play them…

I have no idea why they came up with such an idea. That premium pack is not Worth piss to me... I couldn't care less of all those extra slots, when all the AT that I like are locked.
  • Options
    esalo wrote: »
    > If you could afford to spend $15 for a one month subscription, then you can afford to spend $30 one time to unlock a freeform slot for the life of the game.

This is the dumbest argument I've heard. Paying $15 for a month unlocking all archentypes and have the ability to play more than 1 freeform hero is A LOT better than paying $30 for just unlock 1 freeform slot…

This change kills the game for me... There's no way I am continue playing this game, where the only choice is to buy lifetime sub for $300, or unlock my characters (I believe I have 5 freeforms that i use to play), $120 to be able to play them…

I have no idea why they came up with such an idea. That premium pack is not Worth piss to me... I couldn't care less of all those extra slots, when all the AT that I like are locked.

"I was willing to pay, until I saw that it cost money."​​
  • Options
    You didn't pay $15 and unlock all that. You paid $15 per month to unlock all that. The $30 for one slot? Or $60 for three? That's a one-time fee, with no continuing charges after that.

Back when you paid that $15, you paid $30 over two months - and then kept paying. You laid out $60 over four months - and then kept paying. Over the course of a year, you paid in $180, and probably though it was a bargain. Now thirty bucks is too rich for your blood?

• Options
    esaloesalo Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    +Zen each month yes,,, are you debating that it i s better now than it was Before? and yes i rather pay a Little bit each month than spending a lot here and there.
  • Options
    and yes i rather pay a Little bit each month than spending a lot here and there.

so...15$ a month is a little bit each month
    30$ every two months is a lot here and there?​​
  • Options
    +Zen each month yes,,, are you debating that it i s better now than it was Before? and yes i rather pay a Little bit each month than spending a lot here and there.

You complained about bad arguments...but...your argument is worse. Saving up $30 over the course of two months is a rather simple and easy thing to do. Would be no different than paying $15 those two months. You are only looking at the short term benefits of paying $15 per month, IE: You are only looking at the benefit you got from that month. But, let's look at it this way: Let's say, they did not get rid of the sub system. It still existed, yet, they still introduced the stuff that is meant to replace the system (the pack and cheaper freeform slot/conversion). A new player joins the game, they got one toon. They start playing the game, the are enjoying it despite being an AT. They see FFs and go "I want that". So, they look into the options. They decide they will buy the $30 option plus the pack for $15 (it is $15 right). Total cost is equal to three months of sub. They make their one toon into a free form. Six months later, they decide to finally make a second toon, and drop another $30 for FF. Total spent is now $75. Six months of subbing is $90. He saved money.

In truth, the system works in favor of new players vs older players. Still doesn't mean it is a bad system. Just means, you got to spend less money to unlock your five toons (total would cost you $135, if you did not buy the pack to unlock everything else a sub gave), than paying a sub for a year would cost ($15 x 12 = $180). Best thing is, you do not have to dump $15 every month. Just save up that $15 one month, than dump it on a toon the 2nd month. Look, you spent the same amount of money that way. Or, you can save up that $15 for 4 months and buy the $60 option (which is a buy two get one free deal) and thus save money. No one said you have to put in the money for ALL of them in one go. If that is what you are thinking, you are doing nothing more than limiting yourself.

It is your choice to math poorly and not see how this saves you money. We can only try to get you to see that this is the better deal. It is only on you to figure out how you want to use this info.

Now, if you were a player like me. The new system is not friendly at all. I have roughly 180 characters with a total of up to 200 slots to play with. If it wasn't for the fact I am a LTS, the new system would royally screw me over. Players like you, who have only a handful of toons, the new system if your friend while it hates on me. If you do not want to do the math, 180 toons would be buying the 3 FF slots 60 times, for a total of $3600. So, no, you are not being screwed by the new system.
  • Options
    I guess we will see over the long(?) run if the company owners feel like their change to the subscription model is making them more money (the real bottom line here) or not?

To me it seems those hardest hit are those who subscribed for a couple or months or so/year and so may have a sizable staple of lvl 40s, all of whom they could play for a $15/fee before, whenever the urge hit them. Now that is no longer practical. If one had the old $15/subscription and stayed subscribed year-in and year-out that would be $180 year. That same amount would unlock 9 Free forms (at $60/3), probably more if a player waits for a sale. Not great, perhaps, but not the end of the world?
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    I guess we will see over the long(?) run if the company owners feel like their change to the subscription model is making them more money (the real bottom line here) or not?

To me it seems those hardest hit are those who subscribed for a couple or months or so/year and so may have a sizable staple of lvl 40s, all of whom they could play for a $15/fee before, whenever the urge hit them. Now that is no longer practical. If one had the old $15/subscription and stayed subscribed year-in and year-out that would be $180 year. That same amount would unlock 9 Free forms (at $60/3), probably more if a player waits for a sale. Not great, perhaps, but not the end of the world?

As I said, it isn't a bad system, just nicer to newer players and players with only a handful of toons. But, yeah, basically was the point I was trying to make.
  • Options
    As I said, it isn't a bad system, just nicer to newer players and players with only a handful of toons. But, yeah, basically was the point I was trying to make.

Will mention again, LTS! The system is actually quite nice to people with lots of FFs. Instead of making you pay $3000 to slotify all your 100 toons, they only expect $300. That's a savings of 90%!

Hey what are the rules about posting GoFundMe type things here? People with a butt ton of toons should try that, see if people will chip in to get them their whole roster all at once with a LTS. Include a screenshot of your many pages of toons and I'd certainly consider tossing in a few bucks.​​
  • Options

Will mention again, LTS! The system is actually quite nice to people with lots of FFs. Instead of making you pay $3000 to slotify all your 100 toons, they only expect $300. That's a savings of 90%!

Hey what are the rules about posting GoFundMe type things here? People with a butt ton of toons should try that, see if people will chip in to get them their whole roster all at once with a LTS. Include a screenshot of your many pages of toons and I'd certainly consider tossing in a few bucks.​​

That also works. And, that might be a good suggestion, I might be willing to help some people out with getting an LTS if they are allowed to do that.