test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question: Spending Money on CO

Well first off I really enjoy CO, I played for a few months and had to stop for R/L reasons. But question is as a former Wildstar player I am a little worried about spending money on a online game again.

And I have played A LOT of online games from Ultima Online to World of Warships.

But I would like to get Champions Online Premium Pack and a Free Form, but would you guys and gals spend cash on this game?

I spend cash on Wildstar and now it is shutting down, so that is where my worry is coming from.

Comments

• magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Yes, but in the same way I spend money on coffee, ie not expecting much more than the initial enjoyment.
  • sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
    Yes, but in the same way I spend money on coffee, ie not expecting much more than the initial enjoyment.

Well for me, Champions Online brings back some good memories. See while I was in the US Navy way back in 1978-86 I ran a Champions Pen and Paper RPG on two of my ships.

So I am not looking for a game that introduces changes every few weeks. But at the same time I do not want to dump some money into this and six months from now, I see a posting "Thanks for your time but we are closing the doors" type of game.

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    This is one of those things you're going to have to weigh up for yourself @sgtken60 . Nobody can really give you the 100% reassurance that the game (any mmo at the moment really) will still be around in 6 months.

I can tell you that Cryptic owns the IP for this game outright (and actually leases it back to Hero Games for Champions RPG), so there is no danger of any IP owners pulling the plug. It has also been heavily hinted that as long as CO pays for itself then it will stay up...... and it seems to be doing that okay.

I have been putting money into the game for years now and am still doing it. I'm not a whale so it's not an insignificant thing for me to do.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Eh, I have an LTS (i.e CO is now paying me to play their game), but I still put real money in to it because I enjoy the game, want to keep playing it, and want to see a bit of development. None of that will happen if people who play the game don't put some money into it. So, put into it what you think you can afford for the amount of enjoyment you will get out of it. I.e. a very personal choice.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    This is one of those things you're going to have to weigh up for yourself @sgtken60 . Nobody can really give you the 100% reassurance that the game (any mmo at the moment really) will still be around in 6 months.

I can tell you that Cryptic owns the IP for this game outright (and actually leases it back to Hero Games for Champions RPG), so there is no danger of any IP owners pulling the plug. It has also been heavily hinted that as long as CO pays for itself then it will stay up...... and it seems to be doing that okay.

I have been putting money into the game for years now and am still doing it. I'm not a whale so it's not an insignificant thing for me to do.

Okay thank you, so that is what I was looking for. And I knew that no one can predict the future for any MMO, I sure Lord British AKA Richard Garriott did not think Ultima Online would still be on as long as it has been.

So I will save up some cash and get that stuff, thanks again.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    sgtken60 wrote: »
    Okay thank you, so that is what I was looking for. And I knew that no one can predict the future for any MMO, I sure Lord British AKA Richard Garriott did not think Ultima Online would still be on as long as it has been.

No problem mate. Have fun :)

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Eh, I have an LTS (i.e CO is now paying me to play their game), but I still put real money in to it because I enjoy the game, want to keep playing it, and want to see a bit of development. None of that will happen if people who play the game don't put some money into it. So, put into it what you think you can afford for the amount of enjoyment you will get out of it. I.e. a very personal choice.

Yes I know it is a personal choice, and like I said I like what I have seen/played so far. And thanks for your input, and BTW I think my Dragon Spirit/AT - Chaosen ran by your Perseus this weekend there was a bunch of you "Greek" types hanging around Defender's area.

No problem mate. Have fun :)

Thank you, my Dragon Spirit AT is Chaosen if you see me say hi :)
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I spend my money on things i like or ,like to do. Not caring if others like it or not. It is, my money after all.
    I mean, internet is full of "people" who would like you to spend money on something....You like it or not...
    And CO doesn't requiere spending real money, you can just play the game and buy stuff with currency earned ingame.

It's only money, you can allways make more. When it's gone, it's gone, enjoy while it lasts.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I spend my money on things i like or ,like to do. Not caring if others like it or not. It is, my money after all.
    I mean, internet is full of "people" who would like you to spend money on something....You like it or not...
    And CO doesn't requiere spending real money, you can just play the game and buy stuff with currency earned ingame.

Yes, I am the same way. BUT I did not want to drop the cash ball in game with checking to see if it would worth while. See I have to answer to a Boss AKA the Wife =)
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    But I would like to get Champions Online Premium Pack and a Free Form, but would you guys and gals spend cash on this game?

I've probably spent close to a thousand dollars on this game, so I would wager the answer is yes for me.​​
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User

Yes, I am the same way. BUT I did not want to drop the cash ball in game with checking to see if it would worth while. See I have to answer to a Boss AKA the Wife =)

Yeah, sadly the cash needed to get into free form has gone up a bit since subscriptions were killed. it used to be that you'd get a month's subscription and try it out and if you didn't care for it you just wouldn't subscribe next month. Granted the cost of Free Form slots has gone down I think, they're still a bit pricey in my books. Over all I can't say I was the least bit disappointed with the money I put into the game though. Not sure how I'd proceed if I were starting out today though.
    spinnytop wrote: »

I've probably spent close to a thousand dollars on this game, so I would wager the answer is yes for me.​​

WOW "thousand dollars"!!!!

edited October 2018
    guyhumual wrote: »

Yeah, sadly the cash needed to get into free form has gone up a bit since subscriptions were killed. it used to be that you'd get a month's subscription and try it out and if you didn't care for it you just wouldn't subscribe next month. Granted the cost of Free Form slots has gone down I think, they're still a bit pricey in my books. Over all I can't say I was the least bit disappointed with the money I put into the game though. Not sure how I'd proceed if I were starting out today though.

Well there is a lot of games I can say that about, the wife and I started online game back in the late 90s with Ultima Online and at one time we had nine accounts each (until EA raised the monthly fee), and I have spent money on everything from UO, Wildstar to World of Warships.

BUT I really like Champions Online :)

And BTW you @guyhumual you can really make some wonderful costumes, I wish I had your skill set.

It's spread out over several years so there's no need for the big wow. I've gotten nearly 10k hours out of the game so at a rate of 1 dollar per 10 hours of entertainment I'm still practically stealing this game.​​

It's spread out over several years so there's no need for the big wow. I've gotten nearly 10k hours out of the game so at a rate of 1 dollar per 10 hours of entertainment I'm still practically stealing this game.​​

Well if I may ask how long have you been playing CO? Any pointers? I am playing a Dragon Spirit AT - Chaosen (Lvl17) been have a blast with him, and I am using a build that flowcyto showed me on here.
    Well if I may ask how long have you been playing CO? Any pointers? I am playing a Dragon Spirit AT - Chaosen (Lvl17) been have a blast with him, and I am using a build that flowcyto showed me on here.

About 9 years, but I didn't start spending money until about 4 years in. As for advice, I always advise people to not get too into the habit of having other people make builds for them, and if someone tells you something is too hard or impossible, do it anyway and then make fun of them for saying you couldn't do it s( u 3 u )z​​

About 9 years, but I didn't start spending money until about 4 years in. As for advice, I always advise people to not get too into the habit of having other people make builds for them, and if someone tells you something is too hard or impossible, do it anyway and then make fun of them for saying you couldn't do it s( u 3 u )z​​

Okay well thanks for your advice, I hope we met sometime in game. :)
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    BUT I really like Champions Online :)

And BTW you @guyhumual you can really make some wonderful costumes, I wish I had your skill set.

Oh thank you! To be perfectly honest the tailor was the thing that sold the game to me in the first place. Seeing new and interesting costumes is really what makes the game fun for me rather that the actual game at the moment. Anyways, costumes take a skill set sure, but it's not something that takes a lot of talent to pick up, once you get working with the tailor and realize what looks good and what doesn't you'll be making costumes as good, if not better, than anything I could make in no time.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    er, I have a LTS account, a subbed acct(changed to paypal so I can change credit card details easily ) and a silv3er . All my accounts are on the altaholics list. I got the premium pack for my silver acct... more character slots plus costumes and at's I hadn't got yet.

for colour matching go to an art store and get a colour wheel. Look at the colours their complimentary colours including split complimentary. Remember main colour on most, accent colours on small amounts.
    For clothing (IN RL) max of 3 colours plus gold or silver.
    sorry, art course plus dressmaking course.
    check out the costumes in the costume section of the forums, it's got some good threads in it.
    builds- I do "I wonder what this does" rwsulting in having one of the largest collection of half-arsed builds around. However, all are capable of levelling solo by missions.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited October 2018
    Well @guyhumual I am at a slight disadvantage, I have color vision deficiency. So I have a real hard time with the color chart, I wish I could find the CO color chart with the color's names on it.

Right now I bug my wife to id the colors for me, bless her she also has to help me when we have to rewire something in the house :)

edited October 2018
    ok here's a good explanation of colour wheel with picture and using complimentaries
    https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/
    and here's the game one
    colour%20scheme_zpssmjt011x.png

chaelk wrote: »
    ok here's a good explanation of colour wheel with picture and using complimentaries
    and here's the game one

NOW that will help!!

Thank you a thousand times thank you! :)
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

That is not much compared to others...
    soulforger wrote: »

Nobody has ever even called me a whale o3o​​
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    They’ve had other choice words 😉
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Just pitching in...

Over the years, CO has been a very "emotional ride" style game, as in there have definitely been long periods of uncertainty or just plain nothingness...however since roughly 2015...CO's been on an upswing which...hasn't stopped.

I've been playing CO since it launched and I've spent more money on the game than I care to mention...but I've not regretted it. With the game being more stable now...I'd say go for it.

As a former Wildstar player myself, I'm sad to see the game go...but I can't say it wasn't expected. It lacked staying power IMO...had an interesting story but...lacked something that drew me to it in a fuller sense...I've tried many other games over the years...and CO's always been one I've fallen back on.

I've been: P2P (Gold)...took a break...came back as Silver for several years...bought every AT I could bar The Fist and Void...tried Gold again...then bought LTS (2012)...no regrets honestly.

I'd say go for it, if you enjoy CO...and your finances allow...do eeet.. ;3
    edited October 2018
    They’ve had other choice words 😉

Yeah like awesome and cool owo

At least, those are the only ones people are willing to say to my face uwu​​
    edited October 2018
    Just pitching in...

I'd say go for it, if you enjoy CO...and your finances allow...do eeet.. ;3

Well thank you for your advice, I hated to see Wildstar go too, I just started working on my Aurin Engineer. :(

Now in CO, I have been enjoying heck out my The Dragon Spirit AT up to LvL 21, and as this morning from grinding Halloween Baskets, I am only 26 Turakian Coins from getting the The Savage or The Witch ATs unlocked - Not sure which one?

So I am really enjoying my self, one of these day I will buy me a FF slot and maybe I will remake my Aurin Engineer.

Edit: After doing some reading, I am going to get The Savage AT - more of my play-style.

Post edited by sgtken60 on

Whale...when there are people that have spent way more than you...of course people won't call you a whale.
    edited October 2018
    Whale...when there are people that have spent way more than you...of course people won't call you a whale.

It's not a competition soulforger, relax. I was pointing out that I'm not even considered a whale around here, so you're really just repeating what I said, oddly enough in what appears to be an attempt to disagree with me. I'm not sure why me mentioning that I've spent some money on the game made you feel like you had to argue that it wasn't a lot. I mean, do you think anybody really cares if it is or isn't? I sure don't. Do you?​​

It's not a competition soulforger, relax. I was pointing out that I'm not even considered a whale around here, so you're really just repeating what I said, oddly enough in what appears to be an attempt to disagree with me. I'm not sure why me mentioning that I've spent some money on the game made you feel like you had to argue that it wasn't a lot. I mean, do you think anybody really cares if it is or isn't? I sure don't. Do you?​​

Not treating it as a competition. Just mostly making a point that there are people out there that have spent a very extreme amount of money. This point is more or less for OP though. To show them that there are people that do spend that kind of money.
    edited October 2018
    This point is more or less for OP though. To show them that there are people that do spend that kind of money.

Seems like you accomplished that with this:

Everything after just seemed like you taking issue with me saying I should be called a whale... which I never actually did. Not sure how you thought that was going to make your point to the OP any better, but hey I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.​​
    no way am I going to add up mine again. It was past $5000 when STO was arguing that they were in maintenance mode because of the Omega update.
    OK, I only play this one and occasionally a few others, which I don't spend money on.

Well I am hoping to be able to get a Premium Pack soon (Bills have to come first), as far as Lifetime Subscription. That is a lot of money so it will be a long while before it.
    In the past LTS has gone on sale for $200 after the New Year. So you might plan for that. Personally, I've never understood why they don't make that sale correspond to right at Christmas, when some people have been given money as a gift and might just spend it on CO. Why wait until after the New Year when it may already have been spent?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    In the past LTS has gone on sale for $200 after the New Year.

Well it maybe awhile before LTS, even at $200.00 that is a lot of money for me, I have to save up for it.

Drop some sly hints to the wife about what you want for the holidays ;-)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Drop some sly hints to the wife about what you want for the holidays ;-)

LOL you do not know wife LOL, I already can hear the answer to that!!! And would be a loud one LOL
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    chaelk wrote: »
    and here's the game one

This is a HUUUUUUUuge help! Thank you so much!
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User

I've so totally called you a whale! I mean, you're kind of a small whale, like a Beluga (also called a sea canary).
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    This point is more or less for OP though. To show them that there are people that do spend that kind of money.

Seems like you accomplished that with this:

Everything after just seemed like you taking issue with me saying I should be called a whale... which I never actually did. Not sure how you thought that was going to make your point to the OP any better, but hey I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.​​

Spinny...stop assuming things. You are completely wrong about what you assumed I was saying or taking issues with. Seriously, stop assuming things.
    edited October 2018
    Spinny...stop assuming things. You are completely wrong about what you assumed I was saying or taking issues with. Seriously, stop assuming things.

I mean... I literally just read the things you typed.

No assumptions required, you clearly took issue with me talking about me being called a whale and started to argue about it. It's right there. Also apparently you were wrong because...
    I've so totally called you a whale! I mean, you're kind of a small whale, like a Beluga (also called a sea canary).

apparently I'm a beluga whale o3o guess that settles that.
    5baa469edda4c8541c8b457c.jpg​​
  • paxterraspaxterras Posts: 3 Arc User
    > @sgtken60 said:
    > would you guys and gals spend cash on this game?
    >
    > I spend cash on Wildstar and now it is shutting down, so that is where my worry is coming from.

:D :D I am just returning after being away for years. When Champions Online first came out, I immediately bought a _Lifetime_ Subscription. So, um, yeah ... I already spent a big chunk of cash on the game, long before it was Free-To-Play. Indeed, when the game was just getting ready to transition _to_ Free-to-Play, I was one of the very first to suggest that _all_ the Archetypes should get one or two "pick a power from this list" slots in their progression. IIRC, at the time I said "it will be like drugs - give them the first taste for free, they'll be hooked and buy in to the game."

As for games shutting down? That's always a risk, whether it's the first year of a game being live, or the fifteenth. Games I've played, that subsequently shut down, include Tabula Rasa (I saw that one coming during the closed Beta), City of Heroes/Villains :'(, and Auto Assault :'( ... I still miss both CoH/V and AA.

Games are not forever. Enjoy them while they're here - and pay what you can afford to spare, nothing more.
    paxterras wrote: »
    > @sgtken60 said:
    > would you guys and gals spend cash on this game?
    >
    > I spend cash on Wildstar and now it is shutting down, so that is where my worry is coming from.

:D:D I am just returning after being away for years.

Yeah I know most games are not forever (BUT Ultima Online seems to be trying), I did take the leap and bought the Premium Pack and it is nice have all the extra stuff.

I am going next get a Freeform Slot and then start saving up for a Lifetime Subscription.
    I am going next get a Freeform Slot and then start saving up for a Lifetime Subscription.

yaaaaaaay! we caught another one guys!
    chibi-transparent-vocaloid-1.png
    ...er...I mean... no that's what i meant o3o​​
    Nah, you're not a Beluga whale. They're too cute. :p

edited October 2018
    I'm adorable s( u w u )z but that's over and settled anyway cause the claim was busted... and OP has made up their mind about spending on the game... so uh.... what do we do now? o3o​​