test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So I'm Playing Neverwinter. . .

roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
It's not terrible, though it reminds me of all the failings of 4th edition D&D. Of course, many of those poor game design choices for tabletop rpg work okay for a video game.

Still leveling a character, playing a few times a week. Anyone else here play Neverwinter?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

Comments

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I tried it and hated it. It's like they took everything about the previous two cryptic games that was awesome (heavy character ability and appearance customization, convenient transportation methods, etc) and threw it all in the grinder. The result was something with pretty graphics, but more restrictive gameplay. Oh, and they left the "shooter mode" switch on, which can go die in a fire. :3
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I use to play Neverwinter. I enjoy getting to the max level by simply playing Skirmish, Dungeoning, and my most favorite feature, The Foundry. There was so many player made quest, each with their own story to tell, and I enjoy every second of it. All good things come to an end, however.

I quit when they pull that stupid Elemental Evil module crap along with increasing the level cap. I don't know how it is now, but when the level cap was implement, it did so many stupid things that cause a giant exodus. All the end game that you could have done in level 60 are move to level 70. Leveling to level 70 took as long, if not longer, than leveling from 1-60. Dungeoning and general Foundry became ineffective. Those that grind their max level armor are now mad that a horrible gear drop of level 64 out class it. You couldn't even do Skirmish since they scale the latest one to 70, and when your gear and stats are that of level 60, you WILL die instantly. It simply becomes unfun and took the joy out of everything that was once Neverwinter Online.

So what left is the abomination that is the Elemental Evil content. These content are really your only main leveling route to level 70. What is so bad about the content of Elemental Evil? Imagine getting about 6 or 7 quest in a hotspot, each requiring you to kill 20-50 monster (keep in mind, they can instantly kill you due to the crappy gears you're wearing, and it take forever to kill at least one of these mobs). Doing all those quests barely fill half your EXP bar. If you want to do the quests beyond that point, tough luck. You either have to keep doing these same quests again and again until it unlock it for you.

So Neverwinter shows me the terror of mismanagement in regards to increasing a level cap while forcing the players to play very unplayable and unenjoyable mess, and having all your option you had move away from you to the next level cap. I never want to see this kind of crap ever again and it can die in the fire for all I care.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I played it for a while. I really liked the Ranger class. The hybrid melee/range DPS and the bow attacks were really fun for me.

But games with generic graphics never really hold my attention very long and I get bored. Any time I pick it back up I don't last for more than a week.
    biffsig.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I only ever played it out of curiosity to see what could be done in it's Foundry. It's not bad.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I tried it. It didn't really hold my attention. Might try it again at some point. Theoretically I should enjoy it, it has all the things I like, but for some reason it just didn't grab me.​​
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I tried it when I heard there was a Dragonborn race. I left after realizing I couldn't grind enough to buy said race. That, and it gets boring real quick.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Fair enough.
    I do agree that it's missing something.
    For comparison, I tried Elder Scrolls Online during a free week of play, and loved it. Unfortunately, that game is just too expensive for me to justify.

ESO felt like I was entering an expansive world to explore. Neverwinter Online just feels like a pretty good game.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I should say that I actually kind of sort of enjoy their winter event. I tend to log on for that, do the dailies sometimes, and then just disappear for another year afterward. :D
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica wrote: »
    I should say that I actually kind of sort of enjoy their winter event. I tend to log on for that, do the dailies sometimes, and then just disappear for another year afterward. :D

The current event was actually pretty fun--you character is turned into a miniature, and then you participate in a "tabletop game". The players are all famous Forgotten Realms characters like Drizzt and Minsk.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I miss Smackwell's Doofus mission in the Foundry.... :'(
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    So, yeah. That didn't last long. Neverwinter couldn't compete with my other games, especially Soul Calibur. A fight game with a better character creator than Neverwinter?!

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Don't you wonder what CO would be like if they had taken all those NW resources and used them here?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • that never would've happened; forgotten realms is a hyper-popular and very well-known IP, and getting a chance to make a game for it was a huge feather in PW's cap...compare that to a home-grown superhero IP - not even any of the well-known and established ones like marvel or DC​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    edited October 2018
    that never would've happened

Well yeah that's why he he asked if you wonder what it would have been like. It's like if I told you to imagine a giant dragon destroying London. Doesn't mean I'm implying that could happen o3o

On that what if... well, I imagine we would have gotten way more stuff. Good chance we would have more epic lairs, more new zones, the power passes could very well have been completed already and we'd be in the phase where they're just adding new powers. Current zones might have gotten an update pass. Kiga wouldn't be hiding underground o3o​​
    So, after giving up on Neverwinter, I tried out Guild Wars 2 this weekend. I like it a lot. Good character customization, and good gameplay. I like the physics of the game engine.

Definitely lots of microtransactions, mostly cosmetics. Not obnoxious, but they are a little more prevalent than even Neverwinter.

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    it's ok while levelling. but once you hit the grind, and they only want certain classes and certain builds in dungeons...
    I stop playing in 2014 with a max level character in each class.
    Bank and SG bank full of stuff.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    chaelk wrote: »
    Bank and SG bank full of stuff.

You should give all that stuff to roughbear o3o​​
    edited November 2018
    If the game is fun to play for free on and off for six months, I'll be super happy. Since I only play 3-4 hours once or twice a week, I can imagine that it will take me a long time to simply hit max level, let alone worry about endgame.

And yes, send me your stuff! @dmattachine