test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gunwitch Build, CC/Damage for Soloing/Cosmics

cinderskyescinderskyes Posts: 33 Arc User
edited September 2018 in Builds and Roles
Just tried this out today as a new cosmic participant. Very stressful to CC and this build's ability currently exceeds my ability to play it! The idea is one of those urban mages who uses magic alongside gunplay. Like say Caliburn in this setting, or Constantine in DC.

Danger Doll (Offensive Manipulator) Any / Multiple
v3.11:30

Super Stats
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
Level 6: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 12: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Finesse (Dex: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 18: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Gunslinger
Level 1: Bullet Hail (Rank 2, Rank 3, Extra Bullets)
Level 6: Killer Instinct
Level 8: Grasping Shadows (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Ego Sleep (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Manipulator (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Bullet Ballet (Rank 2, Not Without Incident)
Level 23: Aurora
Level 26: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Mental Leech (Challenge!)
Level 32: Thunderclap
Level 35: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Sonic Device
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Hover Disk

Specializations
Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentinel: Genesis (2/2)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (2/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
Sentry: Stalling Tactics (3/3)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Your Pure DPS is less important than your general contribution, and Bullet Ballet is very cost-intensive without significant Recovery Statting, so I actually stay in Support role even while DPSing and get good results. Open with group CC when soloing, followed by getting Mental Leech stacks up if it's something bad like QWZ worms. Otherwise damage is fairly simple, get your Furious stacks up with Bullet Hail, then spam Bullet Ballet to your heart's content. Not Without Incident means that within 2.9 seconds, you have hit a total of 8 times. I'm easily getting 30% crit with my gear (R7 mods, Heroic) before furious, which ensures that I have about a 95% chance of getting both AoED procs going.

Taser Arrow can replace Sonic Device before getting Psionic Accelerator or used alongside of it as training wheels for when you miss with PA (an option I'm considering as a newbie to CC...). Better players can swap the last power for Burst Shot and tap it to apply the Armor Piercing debuff, but I found it tedious in any difficult content to maintain Manipulator, Furious, -and- Armor Piercing. I like Sonic Device because it gives me an easy, flashy method of boosting damage and another guaranteed stun.

Soloing is of less importance since there are fewer clear standards for what makes a fun solo build, but I would like to add this is the most fun I've had soloing in this game. Very frenetic, successful, but not without risk.

Also appreciate general feedback and ideas to improve.
Post edited by cinderskyes on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I can't comment much on the cosmic CC part, though what's there looks sufficient for holds- given enough CC bonuses. I find it odd that you say weaving in Burst Shot would be more advanced, though, as its Furious adv lets Burst Shot give you both Furious and AP for a simple tap, and then you don't need to rely on Bullet Hail's rng for a Furious stack just so you can optimize Bullet Ballet's NwoI adv (Bullet Hail can still be fine to have as a general ranged AoE, though).

Sonic Device is okay for a CC build, though its cd is rather long, and it won't do as much at rank 1. Also, one typically wouldn't spend adv points ranking up the toggle/form, so you can free up 4 adv points there for other things.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • cinderskyescinderskyes Posts: 33 Arc User
    Good points.

- If you were replacing Bullet Hail with Burst Shot entirely that would make a lot of sense. So originally I wouldn't have, just because I like Bullet Hail so much -- it's a wide cone and well suited to AoED abuse for dealing with packs when you can't always get close enough for bullet ballet. But then I actually did the math on Burst Shot and it's higher DPS and can be tapped at the same rate that Bullet Hail ticks. I'll miss the wide cone, but... So thanks for that.

Manipulator is an exception to not ranking up toggles because you need it to be at a minimum of R3 when handling dogs on Kiga, as much as I miss those points. ;w;
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Unfortunately, manipulator r3 won't help, because if form stacks drop off while in combat, they drop to 0 regardless of rank. The normal solution is a non-damaging root or confuse, as that will stack manipulator without adding hold resistance, though there are other options that are more difficult to use. Or you can just have enough hold strength that you don't actually need manipulator.
    Weird, my posts keep disappearing.

Anyway, manipulator will rank itself back up within about 6 seconds after it falls off, which is more than enough time (26s total to go through the whole thing).
    Alright so I made a new build because I totally forgot last night that I didn't add an AO back in once I had a free power again W H O O P S.

Laser Knight is fun though I'm aware for maximumest DPS I should... not have it. But I don't like to sacrifice too much solo power if I'm contributing well.

Danger Doll (Offensive Manipulator) v2 Any / Multiple

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 1: The Hero (Str: 8, Dex: 8, Con: 8, Int: 8, Ego: 8, Pre: 8, Rec: 6, End: 6)

Powers
    Level 1: Burst Shot (Taking Names)
    Level 8: Grasping Shadows (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Manipulator (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Bullet Ballet (Rank 2, Not Without Incident)
    Level 23: Aurora
    Level 26: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Laser Knight)
    Level 29: Mental Leech (Challenge!)
    Level 32: Thunderclap
    Level 35: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Lock N Load (Two Smoking Barrels)

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Hover Disk

Specializations
    Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
    Sentry: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
    Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
    Sentry: Stalling Tactics (3/3)

Devices
    So I'm up to version 5 of my CC/DPS gunwitch. My CC gear pushes presence and CC enough that my Ego Sleep duration with 1 stack Manip is 53s, and I'm using Ego Storm as a Bridge. I replaced BCR with Conviction for more healing throughput when not being focused, Flying for Teleporting to get around Qwy faster, and self-rez with Masterful Dodge to reduce the amount I'm dying in the first place.

I figure there's not a lot else I can tweak but I welcome feedback. I think at this point most of my difficulties with CC are a mix of bad luck and inexperience -- I've practiced on the PTS repeatedly for Kiga but there are always new issues, and no way to solo-practice Qwy.

I'm considering replacing Lock and Load with Gravity Driver if I can get rid of my energy issues once and for all with better gear, but right now I do occasionally get unlucky with crits, roots, and stuns, and hit a dry streak.

One thing that's come to mind overnight maybe is making Dexterity a SSS instead of Recovery and doing AoAC, which would certainly help my CCing more than AoED, but I'm not sure how well it'd work for damage and soloing.

Danger Doll (Offensive Manipulator) v5 Any / Multiple

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 1: Incandescent (Pre: 12, Rec: 12)

Powers
    Level 8: Bullet Ballet (Rank 2, Not Without Incident)
    Level 14: Manipulator
    Level 20: Mental Leech (Challenge!)
    Level 23: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Laser Knight)
    Level 26: Entangling Mesh
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Ego Storm (Rank 2, Malevolent Manifestation)
    Level 38: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Two Smoking Barrels)

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    Slot 1: Neuroelectric Pulse Generator
    Slot 2: Teleiosaurus Pheromones
    Slot 3: Psionic Accelerator
    Slot 4: Heroic Resonance
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I doubt you can solo pull dogs in stage 2 at kiga with this build, you need a bit more burst durability than you have here. That may be an acceptable lack.
    Oh, I absolutely cannot solo pull. If I could come up with a gun-and-magic build for CC/Tank that was useful at non-CC content I would absolutely be down for that but I don't even really know where to start.
  • gameongameon Posts: 55 Arc User
    Sorry to necro this thread but I love the theme you're working on here! There was a similar, older post farther back in the forum that inspired me to work on something like this too! I believe the old thread build was called Razoretta, but is probably way outdated...

Like you, I run into a lot of energy problems and was hoping I could ask how well you're managing if you're still working on this...
    Currently I'm using TK Reverb for an energy unlock with Distinguished Helmet of Efficiency. Looking at what you've done I'm thinking to switch to a more offensive energy unlock with Killer Instinct. Right now while using TK Reverb, when I get into an energy jam Psionic Accelerator is my bailout for a quick surge... I'm curious how you're doing with your crit rate without a dex superstat?

I'm a noob to CC-ing... trying to learn to CC Dogs at Kiga while at the same time optimizing my build. While I can successfully self-pull in P1 I have issues bridging sleeps so never tried P2... I think my issues are timing and I just need more practice lol.

I'm hoping someone could look at my build and provide some feedback.
    Build Link: Razoretta/GunWitch CC test
    Tank or Hybrid
    Super Stats
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)

Powers
    Level 8: Ego Sleep (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Manipulator
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Bullet Ballet (Rank 2, Not Without Incident)
    Level 20: Ego Storm (Rank 2, Malevolent Manifestation)
    Level 23: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Two Smoking Barrels)
    Level 26: Rebirth
    Level 29: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ego Sprites (Slave Mentality, Challenge!)
    Level 35: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Entangling Mesh
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Teleportation
    Level 35: Flight

Specializations
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    Slot 1: Heroic Resonance
    Slot 2: Teleiosaurus Pheromones
    Slot 3: Ice Grenades
    Slot 4: Banishment
    Slot 5: Psionic Accelerator

A few things I really like and want to keep:
    Invulnerability - I like running the defensive passive, it keeps me alive... usually...
    Rebirth - I like having a self rez... just a preference, I like having it...
    Lead Tempest - Guns and Dancing, what's more fun!?!

Unsure about:
    Entangling Mesh? - How dependent is proper CC-ing on this? Would a device like Ice Grenade cover for not having it?
    An Active Defense? - I usually fallback onto Resurgance R2 for a big heal if I'm getting whooped. How well does Masterful Dodge do for damage mitigation? Would Unbreakable work just as well considering I'm running Invuln? I like to have a sure thing over a maybe-dodge...
    Block - I currently run at Cosmics and solo QWZ fairly well with standard block behind my Invuln... I know standard block is crap but how much tougher is self-pulling dogs in Kig P2? I know I could always get a Tank to pull... but yeah... most content I'm doing ok with standard block/Invuln...

Appreciate any feedback!
    I can't help much regarding CCing w/ Cosmic content, but if you wanted to free up a power slot in your build, you could consider axing the AO. Or maybe axe the self-res and get Recovery packs instead. You do have many AoE effects too, and I'm not sure if they are all necessary, but perhaps you are getting good enough mileage from them to keep them all.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • gameongameon Posts: 55 Arc User
    Thanks for the reply!
    I was looking at the AOEs and yeah, there are times where a more focused, single target attack would be useful.

I made a few adjustments to skills and swapped Recovery SS for Dex and it works very well

Gunslinger (advantages)
    Burst Shot (Taking Names)
    Killer Instinct
    Ego Sleep (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Manipulator (advantages)
    Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Rebirth (advantages)
    Ego Storm (Rank 2, Malevolent Manifestation)
    Bullet Ballet (Rank 2, Not Without Incident)
    Ego Sprites (Slave Mentality, Challenge!)
    Lock N Load (Two Smoking Barrels)
    Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Close the Gap)

Energy recovery is good with roughly a 30% crit rate... could always be better, but StE and High Noon mobs have been going easily enough... will run thru QWZ soon but I don't expect much of a change there. Future plan is to slot an R5 Crit core into a Cosmic Secondary when I get it...

Ego Storm and Devices feed Manipulator Stacks to keep that up most of the time... they only drop when I'm slacking...

Lock N Load recharges pretty quickly when using Bullet Ballet and its AOE is easy to keep going with a quick tap of Burst Shot... which in turn is useful to pull mobs...

Overall very good DPS for running in defense, CCing is bonus... but now to practice on cosmic CCing more!

Possible adjustment would be to swap Sprite's Slave Mentality for R2 or maybe move that to Lock N Load R2 but isn't a big deal.
    Well, Bullet Ballet can be good single-target dps in of itself. It wasn't about making room for a single-target attack, as much as just seeing if you wanted to trade an AoE or two for a diff power, like a ranked block enhancer, or another heal, or an Ult, or w/e else ya fancy.